Team-BHP - Mahindra XUV300 : Official Review
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Official New Car Reviews (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/)
-   -   Mahindra XUV300 : Official Review (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/208487-mahindra-xuv300-official-review-10.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTO (Post 4602128)
Came here to post just that, guys! Read about the XUV300 AMT and wanted to advise any potential owners to STAY AWAY! Not only is Mahindra's track-record with AMT reliability very poor, but I've also found their AMTs to be poorly tuned. This was surprising as they did a great job with the XUV500's torque-converter AT.

Besides, an AMT just doesn't suit a premium product like the XUV300. AMTs should remain restricted to cheap hatchbacks.

During the media drive of the XUV3OO, Mahindra asked us for feedback and also about an Automatic variant.

We mentioned to them that the package is really good but you are missing an Auto box.

We told them for such a premium package and such a strong engine the worse thing to do would be to offer an AMT over a proper AT box. We said the engine is strong and deserves a capable AT just like the XUV Aisin box.

Looks like they were already decided on an AMt and there was no going back.

It will be a shame to cripple such a nice overall package with an AMT.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vid6639 (Post 4603437)

IMO, their only chance was if they priced the 300 on par with their competitors, rich features notwithstanding. If they opt for an AT now, that will simply take the prices way beyond what an average customer can digest in a compact SUV.

Quote:

Originally Posted by prakash_ajp (Post 4603540)
IMO, their only chance was if they priced the 300 on par with their competitors, rich features notwithstanding. If they opt for an AT now, that will simply take the prices way beyond what an average customer can digest in a compact SUV.

Or they can do an Hyundai and not offer true top end Auto. A proper Auto I mean

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vid6639 (Post 4603437)
During the media drive of the XUV3OO, Mahindra asked us for feedback and also about an Automatic variant.

We mentioned to them that the package is really good but you are missing an Auto box.

We told them for such a premium package and such a strong engine the worse thing to do would be to offer an AMT over a proper AT box. We said the engine is strong and deserves a capable AT just like the XUV Aisin box.

I think they will get better than AMT in bigger variant.
On a side note, whenever I see this car (whatever variant) I fee this should not have been restricted under 4 meters.

Quote:

Originally Posted by prakash_ajp (Post 4603540)

Ford offered a 1.5L petrol with DCT and now a 1.5L 3 cylinder with Torque converter. It is competitively priced so why couldn't Mahindra?

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTO (Post 4602128)
Came here to post just that, guys! Read about the XUV300 AMT and wanted to advise any potential owners to STAY AWAY!

Thank you GTO for the timely post. Your initial post on the handling issue made me knock off XUV300 only to reconsider it post the official review. I was waiting for the AT/AMT for XUV300 and this seals it for me.

Guess your suggestion does not apply to Nexon AMT which is one of my other shortlist apart from Vento TSI and Rapid TDI AT.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vid6639 (Post 4603638)
Ford offered a 1.5L petrol with DCT and now a 1.5L 3 cylinder with Torque converter. It is competitively priced so why couldn't Mahindra?

I think Hyundai is the one to blame here, they have no serious competition with Creta and priced it out of the park and still got away with it pretty well. Now Mahindra followed the same road, promoted a few bells and whistles like auto dual zone ac, heated mirrors etc which IMHO are not really important or worthy and portrayed the 300 as a competitive car to Creta. At least that is what they trained their sales team as I've heard this from two dealers. Looks like it's working for them so far.

There was a great opportunity of pricing it lower and providing a proper AT but Mahindra instead decided to get greedy and not to add value to it's brand. We all know the story what happens to greedy folks. Hope Mahindra realizes this soon.

The XUV300 is one of the better polished Mahindra cars out there. Its truly a premium car for the price. It looks so good, that if Mahindra had not reduced the length and launched it against the Creta, it would have been a better success.
This car deserves a proper Automatic gearbox, even the Marrazo needs one. They could have developed a single one for both the cars as they had the same engines. This car feels more like a Hyundai than a Mahindra, so I do expect similar levels of refinement. I don't think a Mahindra AMT can offer a smooth drive.

We took delivery of my uncle's Mahindra XUV300 last week.
The car is just "FANTASTIC" to drive and to be in.
A few days back we were traveling and I plug in my phone to use Android Auto on the HU and HU throws an error on the screen.
Below is the error that came up on the screen, the minute I connected my Android Auto configured phone to the HU.

Mahindra XUV300 : Official Review-img_20190617_185750.jpg

This error is showing up inspite the car being parked with the handbrake engaged.
Mahindra XUV300 : Official Review-img_20190617_185738.jpg

This same phone as well as my uncle's phone works fine in my Ertiga.
We have contacted M&M and they have asked to get the vehicle to them to check what's wrong with it.
Can other XUV300 owners check and confirm if it's the same with their HU as well?

XUV300 Diesel AMT | Review | Autocar India & MotorOctane

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0G6Za8g-JE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lp59450C9XE

Quote:

Originally Posted by @viral (Post 4594446)
Drove close to 500 kms yesterday.

The FE shows a figure of 17.5 kmpl in dashboard display.

Don't trust Mahindra's inbuilt FE display, try the same by tank full method and then you will notice how far are the results from the actual mileage. I have experienced the same in XUV 500, MID showed the mileage of 15 kmpl while the actual was 13 kmpl.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ranabegins (Post 4607129)
Don't trust Mahindra's inbuilt FE display, try the same by tank full method and then you will notice how far are the results from the actual mileage. I have experienced the same in XUV 500, MID showed the mileage of 15 kmpl while the actual was 13 kmpl.

Calculations attached.

You are right in your observation and there seems to be a difference of 1+ Kmpl between what is shown by car vs calculation.

Quote:

Originally Posted by francis_vaz (Post 4606060)
A few days back we were traveling and I plug in my phone to use Android Auto on the HU and HU throws an error on the screen.

Don't know if this helps you, but someone I know tried the Microsoft Windows tune-up (i.e. hard restart) by disconnecting the battery & reconnecting it and his Android Auto started again. This was in some Maruti.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTO (Post 4607271)
Don't know if this helps you, but someone I know tried the Microsoft Windows tune-up (i.e. hard restart) by disconnecting the battery & reconnecting it and his Android Auto started again. This was in some Maruti.

I had that thought in mind, but as the car was just three days old I didn't wish to do any kind of tinkering with it.
Fortunately the person from M&M who was supposed to visit to give us a demo of the car's features came two days later after this problem arised.
He said there is a software update available for this issue.
An appointment for the same has been taken on Saturday.

I have noticed a lot of XUV300 owners not switching on the headlights and instead using the DRLs at night. This is not only hazardous for themselves but also a nuisance to other drivers because the DRLs are too bright at night. I don't understand the latest fad of OEMs providing extremely bright DRLs which some owners think are good enough to function as headlights.