Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd June 2019, 07:10   #151
BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV300 : Official Review

I was once in a rickshaw and it was quite dark. The guy was driving without headlights ON. When asked why he said it affects mileage.

These folks would have some equally absurd reason as there's no logic to it.
Dieselritzer is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2019, 23:02   #152
BHPian

Went for test drive today for the XUV 300 and man I was in for a surprise. I drive a 85 ps duster and was amazed at the ride, handing, power, space and features of this car. It feels as big as the duster from inside. The test drive car was a W8 petrol and it felt very powerful, the diesel has even more power and torque. The interior quality felt good though I would have liked the switch gear in black rather than somewhat gaudy shade of silver. Sometimes I feel Mahindra still hasn't completely matured in design and tend to overdo the stuff. Coming back to the car, the only negatives I found was the lack of rear AC vents and the price. The ride quality and suspension us top notch, I felt almost on par with the duster, even on bad roads.

My budget is 12 lakhs for diesel car which gets me a SX Venue two tone with a lots of bells and whistles. In this price only the W6 XUV 300 fits in at 11.40 lakhs on road in Karnataka. This version only has a 8 inch touch screen and parking sensors nothing else. If it had similar equipment level as the Venue even excluding the sun roof I'd have brought this, but in my budget the venue makes a much better vfm proposition.

The sales rep made a pitch that forget Venue the XUV 300 is better than the Creta as it has 1 airbag extra and costs a full 3 lakhs less than the Creta top end. This made me laugh, I told him if this had a boot as large as the Cretas I'd have agreed but this is a mini and it doesn't compare. W8 option diesel costs 15.30 lakhs on road in Karnataka, well I don't care about the feature set but I think this is over priced by at least 2 lakhs. But Mahindra seems to be running all the way to the bank as the SA told the waiting period was 45 days for it. Don't know if this is true though.

Anyways a brilliant product from Mahindra let down by over optimistic pricing.
mh09ad5578 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 24th June 2019, 13:25   #153
BHPian

Some observations from a recent BLR-Coorg- BLR trip on my W6-Diesel

The vehicle completed 1,000 kms on this trip and I believe it is a top quality product by Mahindra

@80-90kmph- The vehicle is super smooth, running @ 1500-1700 RPM. You get a plush ride, feel like sitting at home with minimal vibrations and road noise

@90-100kmph- The vehicle is still supremely stable and smooth with a bit of vertical movement over road undulations/expansion joints of flyovers but nothing felt at good surfaces @1700-1900 RPM and overtakes are quick and effortless
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra XUV300 : Official Review-img_20190621_132313.jpg  

Mahindra XUV300 : Official Review-img_20190623_202827.jpg  

praveear is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 24th June 2019, 14:09   #154
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by praveear View Post
Some observations from a recent BLR-Coorg- BLR trip on my W6-Diesel
I really like the info displayed in the MID. Quite useful. My Nexon only gives FE for Trip A and B, distance and that's about it. No avg.speed or time driven etc.
XUV300 has way more useful info
Old 24th June 2019, 15:12   #155
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniyo View Post
I really like the info displayed in the MID. Quite useful. My Nexon only gives FE for Trip A and B, distance and that's about it. No avg.speed or time driven etc.
XUV300 has way more useful info

Ya, it`s actually pretty useful. What`s your take on Nexon`s ride and overall NVH. Is it a Diesel?
Old 24th June 2019, 15:49   #156
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by praveear View Post
Ya, it`s actually pretty useful. What`s your take on Nexon`s ride and overall NVH. Is it a Diesel?
Yes mine is Diesel. NVH is pretty good actually. Even at 100-110 wind noise is quite low so is the engine noise as long as the car is steady.
Actually the music system is damn good that drowns all other noises.
Vibrations were felt initially but guess I got so used to it now I hardly notice it.

Ride quality is really funny, at very low speed <15KPMH it's quite good, till 35-40 one can feel the firmness, at higher speeds it rides very well.

Have not driven XUV300 much so really cannot compare. But for me 3 things knocked XUV300 out of contention.
1. Boot Space
2. Price
3. Newer product of the line makes me nervous

I hope you have a wonderful experience with your XUV300
aniyo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th June 2019, 15:59   #157
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniyo View Post
Yes mine is Diesel. NVH is pretty good actually. Even at 100-110 wind noise is quite low so is the engine noise as long as the car is steady.
Actually the music system is damn good that drowns all other noises.
Vibrations were felt initially but guess I got so used to it now I hardly notice it.

Ride quality is really funny, at very low speed <15KPMH it's quite good, till 35-40 one can feel the firmness, at higher speeds it rides very well.

Have not driven XUV300 much so really cannot compare. But for me 3 things knocked XUV300 out of contention.
1. Boot Space
2. Price
3. Newer product of the line makes me nervous

I hope you have a wonderful experience with your XUV300
Great to know! Ya, having a great time so far. I was stuck between Nexon and XUV but roomy cabin, power and overall refinement won over me.
praveear is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2019, 11:19   #158
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by VVN View Post
I have noticed a lot of XUV300 owners not switching on the headlights and instead using the DRLs at night. This is not only hazardous for themselves but also a nuisance to other drivers because the DRLs are too bright at night.
I have to confess that I have been guilty of this too . Don't remember if it was in the XUV300, but definitely some test-drive car. Reasons:

1. When I started the car at night, the DRLs lit up my compound sufficiently well. So I thought the headlights were on!

2. Today's cars have an illuminated instrument cluster, even when the headlights are off. While that's a welcome move, it's taken one of the "no headlamp" signs away.

3. The car had "auto" headlamps, so I wasn't habituated to put the headlamps on manually.

It was only after driving for a couple of km that I realised the illumination is poor / not as good as the headlights, and I have to turn them on .

These smarter cars are making drivers dumber!

Last edited by GTO : 25th June 2019 at 11:21.
GTO is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 26th June 2019, 23:59   #159
BHPian

MAHINDRA ADVENTURE SUPER XUV300

Mahindra XUV300 : Official Review-superxuv300.jpg

Mahindra XUV300 : Official Review-superxuv3002.jpg

Mahindra XUV300 : Official Review-1_578_872_0_70_http___cdni.autocarindia.com_extraimages_20190626115303_mahindraxuv300rallyreara.jpg

Mahindra XUV300 : Official Review-superxuv30041.jpg

Mahindra XUV300 : Official Review-1_578_872_0_70_http___cdni.autocarindia.com_extraimages_20190626115309_mahindraxuv300rallyrears.jpg

Mahindra XUV300 : Official Review-superxuv3007.jpg

This car replaces the Super XUV500 in the INRC. The Super XUV300 R2 with a 1.2-litre turbo petrol engine will be piloted by reigning champion Gaurav Gill whereas the Super XUV300 Turbo Diesel will have Amittrajit Ghosh behind the wheel, and a 4-cyl 1.5-litre diesel under the hood. Arka Motorsports has managed to squeeze out about 40-45PS and 40Nm torque more than the road-going XUV300. The 1.5-litre diesel is closer to stock mechanically, with only a retune netting around 30PS and 60-70Nm torque more.

Source

Last edited by jailbird_fynix : 27th June 2019 at 00:03.
jailbird_fynix is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 29th June 2019, 23:57   #160
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
3. The car had "auto" headlamps, so I wasn't habituated to put the headlamps on manually.

It was only after driving for a couple of km that I realised the illumination is poor / not as good as the headlights, and I have to turn them on .

These smarter cars are making drivers dumber!
I don't get it. Why didn't the headlights turn on automatically in that case? Isn't that the whole purpose of having automatic headlamps?

Quote:
Came here to post just that, guys! Read about the XUV300 AMT and wanted to advise any potential owners to STAY AWAY! Not only is Mahindra's track-record with AMT reliability very poor, but I've also found their AMTs to be poorly tuned. This was surprising as they did a great job with the XUV500's torque-converter AT.

Besides, an AMT just doesn't suit a premium product like the XUV300. AMTs should remain restricted to cheap hatchbacks.
Multiple reviewers are claiming that this AMT is not the botched AMT Mahindra used to offer on other models until now, and that the one offered on XUV300 is built by Magneti Marelli which is more reliable. The reviews seem to be quite positive about XUV300 AMT. Would love to hear from you if you still think this AMT is not worth it.

Last edited by moralfibre : 30th June 2019 at 06:45. Reason: Back to back posts.
saisrujan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th June 2019, 07:36   #161
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Thanks to Akshay for sending this pic in. Heartfelt gratitude for sharing it with other enthusiasts via this Team-BHP page!

Mahindra XUV300 : Official Review-image00001.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by saisrujan View Post
I don't get it. Why didn't the headlights turn on automatically in that case? Isn't that the whole purpose of having automatic headlamps?
Stalk was on "OFF" position.

Quote:
The reviews seem to be quite positive about XUV300 AMT.
When was the last time you read a negative review from a magazine? Think about it. Remember that Mahindra has a HUGE advertising budget that pay the magazine's bills (remember all the sponsored videos at the time of the XUV300's launch??).

I'll only trust BHPian test-drive reports (for how good the AMT is) and ownership posts (for its reliability).
GTO is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 30th June 2019, 14:58   #162
BHPian

Quote:
When was the last time you read a negative review from a magazine? Think about it. Remember that Mahindra has a HUGE advertising budget that pay the magazine's bills (remember all the sponsored videos at the time of the XUV300's launch??).

I'll only trust BHPian test-drive reports (for how good the AMT is) and ownership posts (for its reliability).
Indeed, that is why we will wait for your opinion

By the way, here's my 2-cent test-drive report, based on the few minutes I spent driving the AMT variant of the XUV300 today. The AMT is out-of-place in an otherwise luxurious car. Excellent engine, excellent ride and handling, great interiors, all features you'd ever want in a car and more, and then you have the AMT. It's like checking into the presidential suite of a luxury hotel only to find that hot water for bathing has to be brought up from downstairs in a bucket.

Mahindra may claim this is the best AMT around, but it still is an AMT and it's never going to match a TC or even a CVT. Creeps well in traffic and sometimes the gear changes aren't directly perceived, but the transmission gets confused and goes through a long 2-3 seconds of hesitation when climbing on a gentle incline. Once it finds a gear, it gets going but until then your 300 Nm of torque amounts to nothing.

I later test-drove the Venue Petrol 1.0 DCT to compare. the Turbo petrol and DCT combination provides a much smoother experience than the AMT with the powerful 1.5 liter turbo diesel.

The OTR pricing in Hyderabad for the top end AMT is expected to be around 15.2 to 15.4 lacs. Had Mahindra chosen to plonk a TC and priced it at 15.5 lacs, I'd probably consider buying it.
saisrujan is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 1st July 2019, 19:44   #163
BHPian

Mahindra has started accepting bookings for AMT. As per the SA in Zulaikha motors Chennai, AMT is going to be available only in diesel and that too in W8 variants. The ex-showroom price is yet to be disclosed and test vehicles haven't yet arrived.

I almost booked Nexon XZA(+) but two things have made me wait
a) Impending XUV AMT launch and TBHP review of the same before putting my money on it.
b) Expected refresh to Nexon (rear ac, restoration of defogger, rear wiper etc.)
Old 2nd July 2019, 12:32   #164
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sridhar K View Post
Mahindra has started accepting bookings for AMT. As per the SA in Zulaikha motors Chennai, AMT is going to be available only in diesel and that too in W8 variants. The ex-showroom price is yet to be disclosed and test vehicles haven't yet arrived.

I almost booked Nexon XZA(+) but two things have made me wait
a) Impending XUV AMT launch and TBHP review of the same before putting my money on it.
b) Expected refresh to Nexon (rear ac, restoration of defogger, rear wiper etc.)
I would seriously suggest to stay away from Mahindra's AMT. I am regretting the decision I made 2 years back purchasing TUV 300 AMT. I have listed below the issues I faced

1) Jerks while shifting from A1-A2-A3
2) Delay of around few seconds while upshifting
3) Clutch plates worn out at 38K odo reading
4) Fly kit worn out (Replaced under warranty)
5) Actuator gone (Replaced under warranty)
6) Sudden power loss and sudden power gain resulting in heavy jerks in bumper to bumper traffic
7) Once it stopped on national highway while I was doing 80 speed, suddenly shifted from A5 to N
8) MASS inefficiency and lack of technical expertise to identify and fix issues on timely manner. They keep vehicle for weeks and do not provide any donor vehicle.

I tried to sell it off, but was making a huge loss, so just went ahead with extended warranty.

Even though the AMT in XUV 300 is sourced from different company, it is still not tried and tested. The youtube reviews from many people highlight the above mentioned issues in their reviews.
ramnaresh_2000 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2019, 20:17   #165
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramnaresh_2000 View Post
I would seriously suggest to stay away from Mahindra's AMT. I am regretting the decision I made 2 years back purchasing TUV 300 AMT. I have listed below the issues I faced
Even though the AMT in XUV 300 is sourced from different company, it is still not tried and tested. The Youtube reviews from many people highlight the above mentioned issues in their reviews.
Thank you Ramnaresh. With AMT from Magneto Marelli (who also supplies to MSIL and Tata), it may not be as bad as the one on the TUV but will consider your experience of AMT on Mahindras and I will also wait for the tbhp review. The bigger deal breaker for me could be the absence of rear ac vents/blower and the official review terming the a/c has average. Rear A/C is one of my important considerations and Nexon is graduating from a rear blower to rear A/C vents.
Sridhar K is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks