Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th December 2021, 09:19   #736
BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV300 : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckdoc View Post
Nearly 18000 km run in just over 9 months. Just got back from Chikmagalur. The engine seems to have settled well.
FE from Shoolagiri to our house, a distance of 153 km covered in 2 hrs 11 min with the FE shown below:Attachment 2250907
Is that a Petrol or Diesel?
Old 29th December 2021, 10:37   #737
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mihir_m13 View Post
Is that a Petrol or Diesel?
Diesel W8 O MT, bought mid March.
Old 30th December 2021, 16:19   #738
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goandiaries View Post
What a timing for me! I happen to cover 20k this week in Bangalore, and thought of asking the same question. Have booked an appointment with PPS near Adugodi. Looking at the service station reviews, I think there must be a customer service exec in PPS actively seeking 5 star reviews after the service to enhance their online presence. For example, the service center near Elements Mall has many reviews with same formatting! Now I have not come across such reviews at least for service stations. Will update tomorrow on my service.
So long since I wrote this. I did visit this center three times in Nov-Dec and my opinion is that they are good overall in trying to diagnose/repair issues though it was time consuming. Negatives are this service centre is located in a cramped road with a couple of warehouses(?) with huge manhole covers jutting out of the road - so they employ drivers for pickup and drop. But I drove myself all three times.

Quote:
I complained to the SA that my welcome and goodbye chimes are permanently enabled and the technician involved in flashing was sure that that is how it is supposed to be. And I am sure it is not the way because I have disabled all the sounds including the chimes on the delivery day and drove it for 20k km. So I am wondering if the software update is the culprit. It is not that it is impossible to live with, but it is just an annoying thing for me.
And guess what? The update in the software had reset my cluster settings in the instrument panel. As a result, the chimes were back on. I was in a mood to change the colors in the instrument cluster and realized there is a setting to enable/disable welcome sounds - and how foolish on my part to think that it must've something to do with update in the software! I remember disabling it within a couple of days after delivery and never touching it. No one in the service center was aware of this so obvious setting! Now no more annoying welcome sounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashishk29 View Post
On a different note, a very minor issue after the latest head unit upgrade:

The reverse camera has very imbalanced brightness every first instance I use it since starting up the car.
Attachment 2223376

This was after I disengaged R, slotted into neutral, and slotted back into R. The picture is much clearer, or rather it's normal now. This is how it originally looked before the upgrade as well.
Attachment 2223377

This seems to be a minor software issue, and I will be sending this feedback to the service advisor as well.
So, I happened to get this issue after the update and have tried to fix it in my 2 subsequent visits (to fix the parking sensor issue) to the service station. Though parking sensor issue is fixed, this brightness issue was not resolved - apparently they have not had this complaint in the South region / Bangalore at least. So, the technical team has advised me to replace the parking camera under warranty. Maybe I would go for it in Jan if I find time. Will post updates regarding this whenever available.

Last edited by Goandiaries : 30th December 2021 at 16:19. Reason: Grammar
Goandiaries is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st December 2021, 05:12   #739
BHPian

Quote:
So, the technical team has advised me to replace the parking camera under warranty. Maybe I would go for it in Jan if I find time. Will post updates regarding this whenever available.
I don't think camera replacement would fix this issue, since it can be worked around by simply disengaging reverse and re-engaging the gear. This darkness for me is only at the very first init right after vehicle startup. All subsequent reverses the camera feed will be normal.
Old 2nd January 2022, 08:31   #740
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashishk29 View Post
I don't think camera replacement would fix this issue, since it can be worked around by simply disengaging reverse and re-engaging the gear. This darkness for me is only at the very first init right after vehicle startup. All subsequent reverses the camera feed will be normal.
Exactly! I did express the same opinion and shared videos to the technical team, however they were interested to replace and see as they have not faced such issues after flashing/updates. Let's see how it goes.
Goandiaries is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2022, 18:00   #741
BHPian

Hey XUV300 owners,

I'm facing a unique symptom with my Diesel MT vehicle. There is a "whup whup whup" kind of sound coming from the engine bay when I release the throttle. It goes away when the accelerator is applied.

This occurs across gears but most noticeable from around 40kmph (so roughly from 3rd gear onwards).

Also it presents itself only when the temperature gauge registers at least 2-3 bars. That is, on starting from cold engine there is no sound at all.

The sound is consistent with different road types/traffic conditions and it wasn't there initially. The car has run around 4300km and I started noticing the issue only from around 3500km.

Has anyone else faced this? What could be causing this?

The sound is very faint and we tried recording it, but it's too feeble to be captured. However, it is quite evident in person inside the cabin.
Old 4th January 2022, 17:38   #742
BHPian

Driving style matters:
Showing the FE driving from Trichy to my house (264 km), 113 kms on the Chennai Highway before turning off on to smaller roads with 82 speed breakers, yet managing a remarkable economy.
I had a passenger with back issues, so drove with more anticipatory engine braking than usual and avoiding sudden acceleration. Besides, I feel that close to 20,000 km of driving is when the engine starts coming into its own.Mahindra XUV300 : Official Review-screenshot_20220104172305.jpg

Mahindra XUV300 : Official Review-img_20220104_170905.jpg
Duckdoc is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th January 2022, 17:31   #743
BHPian

Got the 20K service done on my Diesel BS4 beast today. The Odo reading was 13K due to C-19 and WFH, but I was going to miss the service warning of 1 year if I hadn't.

FYI, see the attached picture. This is supposed to be the latest version of Software per the SA and you can find your software version by pressing the two buttons (Home and Display) simultaneously for 5 seconds. I was on version 1.00.37 and 1.00.43 is the latest one per the SA's lappy.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra XUV300 : Official Review-whatsapp-image-20220108-5.24.22-pm.jpeg  

Last edited by DevilzzzzOwn : 8th January 2022 at 17:32. Reason: Correction of grammatical error.
DevilzzzzOwn is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th January 2022, 19:57   #744

My New White XUV300 W6 Petrol AMT

I have been a reading Team-bhp forum for the past 4 years and never thought of writing down a post until now. My relationship with 4-wheel started in the year 2013 when I bought Maruti Suzuki Zen Estilo. I have recently taken delivery of XUV300 and thought of sharing my experience on this forum.

Adding index for the ease of readers:
1) Background
2) Hunting
2.1) First Attempt (the Year 2019)
2.2) Second Attempt (the Year 2021)
3) Initial Ownership
4) Modifications

Background:
I am currently owning Maruti Zen Estilo, bought in Jan 2013. I love this vehicle, it’s easy to maintain, never broke in the past 9 years and very fuel-efficient. The engine (K10) is reasonably quiet and has a decent mid-range. However, the vibrations do enter in the cabin specifically on the gear lever and doors when idling. It’s a very trusted horse but now more than 9-year-old, hence I decided to buy a new one which would offer better safety, performance, and interior space. I didn’t want to sell the Estilo and decided to give it to my brother who now uses it to travel in and around my hometown.

Hunting:
Thanks to Covid, my hunting spanned across two phases – the year 2019 and the year 2021.

First Attempt (the Year 2019)
My hunt began around August 2019. I set a budget of 8.5 lakhs and wanted a good-looking petrol sub-compact SUV/Crossover. With this budget in 2019, I considered Venue (S-MT 1.2 Petrol), EcoSport (Ambiente 1.5 Petrol), Honda W-rv (S 1.2 Petrol) and Nexon (XM 1.2 Petrol). Been through all the available reviews and videos available back then and then started taking test drives. Here’s my drive impression based on the test drives-
Honda Wr-v:
  • Big on space, would put some of its competitors to shame on sheet rear seat space
  • Fuss free ownership, reliable petrol engine
  • Good in-showroom experience
  • Looks small like a hatchback
Tata Nexon
  • Went to a showroom in Hadapsar, Pune (now closed). When I stepped in, I could read the showroom staff’s facial expression, everyone looked pissed off with the sheer idea of explaining a product to a customer for big 10 minutes.
  • Sat there for 10 mins, everyone was on their mobile phone pretending busy. Went to the receptionist again asked her if someone can attend to me.
  • A sales rep, with an extremely casual dress code then attended me (I am cool with any attire, just mentioning as every other showroom ensured their staff is decently dressed). I asked for a test drive. The sales rep wasn’t very aware of the product.
  • I took the car out of the showroom, the sales rep told me to take left after merely 500 mtrs, then one more left and then one more left and voila we are back in showroom parking. I asked for a long test drive to which the sales rep said they are expecting one more customer for a test drive, they will arrange a long test drive for a later day. I never received a callback.
  • Car felt very solidly put together, the interior felt better than wrv. Drivability was much better than wrv.
  • I didn’t like the exterior styling though.

Ford EcoSport:
  • Went to Ford showroom on the same day
  • Totally different experience compare to Tata showroom. It was very packed, still, I was immediately attended.
  • Took a long test drive. Loved the drive. Felt well put together, steering set-up was something I never experienced before (my Estilo has very vague steering).
  • Driveability was better than Nexon – maybe because it was the naturally aspirated engine. Space was very limited compared it Nexon though.
  • I loved this vehicle but didn’t finalise it then because around Sept 2019 I read 2-3 articles about Ford planning to wrap up their India business (which eventually turned true). My Estilo was also a discontinued product (Maruti pulled off the plugin in late 2013) hence I don’t want to buy one more product that may be discontinued.
Hyundai Venue:
  • Was just launched then. Loved the design – looked handsome
  • Turbo was beyond my budget and hence considered S1.2 variant.
  • Somehow felt the space is better than EcoSport (width)
  • 1.2 was not available for a test drive.

In Sept 2019, almost decided to finalise Venue S1.2. Spoke with Hyundai sales rep, they had no offers/discounts on Venue being a new launch however offered to match policy bazaar insurance quote (~10 thousand less).
In the last week of Sept, I had to business travel to Spain for 2 weeks. There I got a hint that I may have to travel again for a longer period this time. This made me cancel the booking. After 2 months, Spain saw a huge wave of covid infections putting a question mark on international travel. Later the covid became a pandemic putting an end to my travel and car buying.

Second Attempt (Dec 2021)
After 2 Covid waves, in late 2021 it became evident that this pandemic may continue for the next one/two years. Around Aug major IT companies started announcing ‘back-to-office’ and that was enough trigger for me to start my new car hunt again. From Sept 2019 to Aug 2021, I became a very frequent team-bhp reader. This forum helped me broaden my understanding of automotive.

This time around my priorities was safety (>4 Star), driveability and automatic transmission. My budget was 12 lakhs on-road and I evaluated Mahindra XUV300, Tata Nexon and Brezza as these were the three offerings in the subcompact SUVs with 4-star crash ratings.

XUV300 AMT
Pros:
  • 5-star safety rating
  • Turbo petrol engine packs a great punch. Acceleration is superb irrespective any gear
  • spacious interior, can sit 3 adults
  • Feels premium and has a great road presence
Cons:
  • Since its AMT, the gear shift can be felt though its quicker than Nexon. The AMT pause is there until 3 gear, post that the gear shifts are smooth
  • Steering isn’t very direct
  • Suspension is good but not as great as Nexon
  • Boot space and lesser ground clearance (compare to Nexon and Brezza)
Nexon AMT
Pros:
  • 5-star safety rating
  • Great steering set up. Although XUV300 has sports steering mode, it feels very artificial and still it’s no match to Nexon
  • Suspension is great
  • Ground clearance and reasonable boot space
  • Extremely comfortable seats
Cons:
  • Engine is good but isn’t as punchy as XUV300
  • The gear shift pause is more pronounced than XUV300
  • Still not liking rear looks
  • Average showroom experience. Even this time the test drive was less than 2kms. Never received a call back from the showroom after the test drive.

Brezza AT
I wanted to test drive Brezza only after I am done with XUV and Nexon test drives. as both are AMT and then I would be in a better position to differentiate between the AT and AMT experience. But later, I saw some auto news regarding a facelift of Brezza is around the corners. My Estilo was discontinued by Maruti soon after I bought it and hence, I didn’t want to buy another car whose facelift will be available within 4-5 months after purchasing it, hence I dropped Brezza.

Initial Ownership
I took a test drive from Silver Jubilee, Pune but they didn’t have W6 AMT variant available with them. Later I enquired with Unnati Motors and they had one Petrol W6 AMT in white colour. The vehicle was freshly baked – manufactured on 27th Nov. I made the booking instantly and initiated the loan procedure with HDFC. The registration happened around Dec 14th and got a call from the showroom that I can get the delivery on Dec 16th.

The showroom arranged a small pooja and celebration. I went there alone considering the Covid situation in Pune. The car was clean and was ready to hit the road. I completed the pooja and other formalities and started driving back home, that’s where the ‘distance to empty’ starts to show 4km. Drove down straight to the petrol pump and got the tank full.

Till now completed 1000 km which include 70% highway drive from Pune to my hometown. My initial impressions are:
  • On the highway, the AMT works brilliantly, except for the gear shift from 1st to 2nd, you would hardly experience the AMT delay.
  • At parking speed, the performance feels spikey, making you nervous about manoeuvring the car at tight parking spots.
  • Must be extra careful in applying throttle at low speeds. Sometimes the car moves quickly.
  • Cornering up to 70 km/hr on a moderate bend feels confident.
  • Per MID, the overall fuel efficiency is 16.3 km/pl for first 1000 kms which includes 70% highway drive. Wasn’t expecting this good FE, very happy.
  • Gear changes happen at 2000 RPM. For me, 100 km/hr in 6th year came at around 2100 RPM.
  • The acceleration will put big smile on your face, specifically for those who are coming from a 1 or 1.2 litre NA engine.
Modifications:
Done following modifications
  • Added fog lamp from the dealership for INR 5900
  • Added seat covers (Napa) for INR 6000
  • 3D mat for INR 1800
  • Rain visor – INR 700
  • Steering cover – INR 350
  • Petrol sticker – INR 300

Planned modifications
  • DRLs – not sure if it will void the warranty
  • Arm rest

Sharing some pictures. Sorry, they are not a great resolution.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra XUV300 : Official Review-xuv300-1.jpg  

Mahindra XUV300 : Official Review-xuv300-2.jpg  

Mahindra XUV300 : Official Review-xuv300.jpg  

RakeshMX3 is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 15th January 2022, 23:56   #745
BHPian

Re: My New White XUV300 W6 Petrol AMT

Quote:
Originally Posted by RakeshMX3 View Post
I have recently taken delivery of XUV300 and thought of sharing my experience on this forum.
Congratulations on your new vehicle and welcome to Team-BHP. Happy that our XUV 300 club is expanding here. Thanks for the nice write-up; please continue to share your experiences in a separate ownership thread, as I don't believe we have a petrol AMT thread.

Last edited by Sheel : 2nd February 2022 at 18:19. Reason: Please capitalise where required. Thanks.
Vijin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2022, 09:48   #746
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RakeshMX3 View Post
I have recently taken delivery of XUV300 and thought of sharing my experience on this forum.

Planned modifications
  • DRLs – not sure if it will void the warranty
  • Arm rest
Congratulations, and welcome to the club. Hope you continue to have a great time with it.

I got the W6 as well and am missing the central armrest rather badly. Mahindra ASS said they can't source it internally, so I am looking for an after-market kit that will work well. Could you let me know if you find anything that works?
ChevyTeddy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th January 2022, 10:55   #747

I would like to open this thread by owing all senior BHPians my sincere gratitude. I extensively researched on this platform and studied the feedbacks by my fellow BHPians before heading out to buy my first car, an M&M XUV 300 W(8) Petrol variant.

Here's what I experienced after driving/learning it for 6 months across various conditions.

On road price : 12.87 lakhs
Odometer reading : 4900+ Kms
Highest range driven : 400+ Kms
Highest speed : 140 Kmph

Straight from the horse's mouth

Had my first long trip done and there was no looking back. Realized that the ABS, Cruise Control and other engine features were top notch. The gear selection is great. Most importantly, the cabin is sound proof. Additionally, my Car's sweet spot turned out to be Revs between 1500 - 2000 and 60-80KMPH. Besides, I drove her continuously for nearly 6 hours in mixed road conditions covering 400+ KMS, AFE observed was 22 KMPL which beats the ARAI of 17KMPL. City driving conditions are little inefficient, not because of the car, but myself as I am really slow and a careful driver. AFE observed in city driving is between 12-15 KMPL. This vehicle reinforces confidence for amateurs like me.

Background :

Even though I obtained my driving license as early as 2014, I rarely drove. I had a phobia of not driving anybody else's car thinking that I would bump it somewhere on the road. To be honest, I live in Howrah, a densely packed and highly congested area where GT road is shared amongst Toto's, Rickshaws, Cycles, Motorbikes, Trucks, Buses and pretty much every vehicle that can get on the road. Moreover, this is a notorious area, alongside Kolkata where its effortless to get into an incident. This kept me demotivated. All the while I was in Kerala, working for an IT MNC for 4 years, I did some driving there thanks to the empty roads and highways. I had some experience in driving a Swift and a WagonR but that was it, a long gap of 7 years.

The build up before purchase :

After getting a Job at Amazon sometime in June 2021, I decided to buy a Royal Enfield initially that's when my elder brother convinced me to get a 4 wheeler instead and prepare for greater requirements as I am already 31.

This is when all the research began. I initially shortlisted Thar, Brezza, Creta, Sonnet, Nexon, Altroz and Venue but only followed up with Sonnet. After some discussions with the Dealer, a lack of enthusiasm gripped me.
That's when I discovered XUV 300 and started investigating. After a week's research and some skepticism, all the aforementioned options just disappeared. I came out to value the safety ratings, driving experience, engine configurations and comfort over all the flashy, modern, feature-full alternatives being provided by the competitors. I was comfortable with the backdated interior/infotainment system and lack of adequate boot-space. The ground clearance was still an issue but I convinced myself not to abuse the car and drive as sincerely as I can. Nonetheless, the superficial things lacking didn't demotivate me and I valued the car's capability over everything else. Despite somewhat making up my mind, there was a voice within me saying : "Dude, get the Thar, Life's short, go for it don't think so much." . I discussed my inner thoughts but one dialogue from my elder brother shook me off my day-dreaming.

Test Drive

M&M folks were located nearby, I gave them a call and went for a test drive; this confirmed all that I expected. I sat in the driver's seat and realized how comfortable it is and the glaring rage of red was blinding everything else on the road. Pretty satisfied, I came back and got the quotation from the dealer. He was charging me nearly 50K for the insurance, this is where I could have saved some 20-30k had I purchased a plan outside the dealership. It was a lesson learned, I made mistakes and acknowledged it. I decided to opt for 100% loan considering the need for retaining cash for my immediate future needs. The calculation for 7 years loan tenure put a price tag of approx. 16.5L, I realized that I was paying nearly 3.5L as interest for 7 years, but I was ok as I needed more take home from salary and kept the option of foreclosure on the table.

Plot Twist
Having made up my mind, I was coming out of the showroom that's when a Convertible Red Thar caught my attention which was displayed on the way. I jumped inside and asked the Sales Agent to take her out for a test drive.
I experienced body-roll and the power of the vehicle, the glancing of fellow motorists and all that aura surrounding this beast. Back at the dealership, I called up my Consultant and asked her to know if they had Thar in the stock, that's when the waiting period of 7-8 months, maintenance, and operational costs gave me a reality check. Pretty disappointed, I decided to pursue the XUV and said to myself "Let's have a family car, the Thar can wait for some other time." Nonetheless, this disappointment was short-lived and I was convinced that XUV was the best decision that I could take considering my practical needs.

Delivery & Initial Ownership
As promised, the SC delivered my car within 14 days. All new, no defects. I did the PDI and finished all the paperwork to take possession.

Day 1, I reluctantly took her out at dawn, had a driver hired for assistance as I was driving after a long gap and my confidence levels were record low. My mom and I were thinking of keeping a driver for sometime till I was set, but the hourly rates and first day experience motivated me to drive my own beast all by myself.

Day 4. I realized that the car was too big for me to control and I had some issues in sensing the gap that needs to be maintained on the Left. Confidence was sinking as I started experiencing the nitty-gritty of maneuverability in pathetic road conditions first hand. Nonetheless, I carried on driving her slowly and carefully.

Things settled down after 10-12 days when I gathered confidence of taking the National Highways. My 6 months weren't completely incident free, my beast received scratches and dents mostly due to carelessness of fellow motorists while I got myself a scratch due to gentle rubbing while parking. Such incidents I think pushes one towards defensive driving, and I think that's good as it can really reduce one's chances of accidents.

For those who are planning to go for XUV 300, go for it. It's a top of the class car and best in the segment unless you're not a fan of superficial things like interiors, bootspace, infotainment system and all.

Today, I did DIY painting and touched up the areas. The results are good; but please don't try this at home. Color matching is a painful activity and has it's consequences.

Yours Sincerely,
Surya
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra XUV300 : Official Review-img_20211225_123803.jpg  

Mahindra XUV300 : Official Review-img_20220115_173951.jpg  

Mahindra XUV300 : Official Review-img_20220115_173956.jpg  

Mahindra XUV300 : Official Review-img_20220116_102503.jpg  

surya.roy2010 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 17th January 2022, 16:24   #748

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevyTeddy View Post
Congratulations, and welcome to the club. Hope you continue to have a great time with it.

I got the W6 as well and am missing the central armrest rather badly. Mahindra ASS said they can't source it internally, so I am looking for an after-market kit that will work well. Could you let me know if you find anything that works?
Thanks and wish you the same. There's a group in Facebook titled "Mahindra XUV300 Club India". I have had seen a few folks posting custom made/after market fitted armrest. Post the query there and see if they could point you to a place in Bangalore although I would recommend on getting it from the Mahindra guys even if it costs 1-2k extra and some waiting time.
surya.roy2010 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2022, 17:28   #749
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by surya.roy2010 View Post
I would like to open this thread by owing all senior BHPians my sincere gratitude. I extensively researched on this platform and studied the feedbacks by my fellow BHPians before heading out to buy my first car, an M&M XUV 300 W(8) Petrol variant.

Today, I did DIY painting and touched up the areas. The results are good; but please don't try this at home. Color matching is a painful activity and has it's consequences.

Yours Sincerely,
Surya
Hi, first of all, many congratulations on your first car!

By the looks of the minor scratches, they could have possibly been taken care of by a good rubbing and polishing session. As regards, the DIY paint job is concerned, it's a big no, IMO - unless you have the professional equipment and paint. As you may now observe overtime, the finish of the paint won't be the same. And as days would go by, the DIY paint job may just fade away leaving a patch behind.

All the best!
AshwinRS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2022, 20:31   #750

Good evening folks,

Today a medium sized stone flew off a truck's wheel and damaged the paint of my vehicle. It's a small spot approx 2-3 mm in size. Photo attached for ready reference.
Can you kindly advise me as to what can be done further to remove it?
Thanks in advance
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra XUV300 : Official Review-img_20220117_191137908.jpg  

Sachin_s74 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks