Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st August 2021, 21:09   #526
BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV300 : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevyTeddy View Post
My W6 has come shod with Bridgestone Dueler 205/65 r16. After taking delivery yesterday, I filled it with Nitrogen at 32psi which is the recommended pressure on the OEM card on the door. But somehow, that just seems a little.low to me not because of ride quality but because the front tires now seem to have the slightest of bulges on their lower side that they didn't have before. Plus the SA recommended 35psi.

Should I increase the tire pressure? Or stick to what's on the OEM card?
The bulge is expected. The tyres would have to be extremely over-inflated to have zero bulge.

I feel 35 would be better for that tyre size. I am highly skeptical of 32, since my erstwhile Jazz had 32psi recommended for 175/60 R15 tyres. I mean it's hardly logical that these two tyres should have the same pressure!
ashishk29 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2021, 23:00   #527

Hi guys,

We got our XUV300 Diesel AMT W8 (O) delivered on 8th August, five months after the booking date. In this period between the booking and the delivery Mahindra increased the price of the car by Rs. 75,000/- Had no option but to pay this extra money.

It feels really good and plush. The ride is very comfortable.

I’m not really enjoying the AMT in certain situations. For example, small gaps in traffic always feel like a missed opportunity because it either is too slow or too torquey. But overall it’s very convenient in traffic and on highways too. It’s peaceful to not worry about gear changes and easily sip on your coffee while driving and taking calls on the hands free. Love the apple car play experience. Wish there was a more comfortable cubby space to hold the phone while driving.

The headlights are really poor. I’ve been following some recommendations by you guys on this thread and will definitely need to upgrade the lights. Especially for the terrible and sometimes dangerous Maharashtra roads. If anyone knows a good Auto Accessories Shop in Mumbai, kindly recommend. I was wondering if I can upgrade the rear view camera too, it’s very poor quality at night.

It’s sad that Mahindra removed small yet important features like the boot lamp and the heated ORVMs. Especially after the increase in price. The ORVMs get foggy way too quickly and the water droplets make them almost unusable while driving in the rain.

Now, I need an advice from you guys here. The next day after the delivery I noticed that all the 4 disc breaks were rusted. I googled about it a little and spoke to the dealership too. Both threw up the same answers, that it’s common for the disc breaks in new cars to be rusty since they are parked in the open compounds of the factory, especially if we buy the cars around the monsoons. Apparently after driving in dry conditions after a while the rust (which they say is only surface level) gets scraped off after a few hundred kilometres.

But I’m still a little worried about these rusted breaks. I’m attaching a few pictures here and would love to know if you guys have any idea or any experience about this problem.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra XUV300 : Official Review-f8a657bfb42d40adbca908558e9c94bf.jpeg  

Mahindra XUV300 : Official Review-6183070be3a04ede9ef0aa2434979488.jpeg  

Mahindra XUV300 : Official Review-aa066cac1f804a689f6c72c72ca8a81e.jpeg  

Mahindra XUV300 : Official Review-c7d4a78c645f47a29bceab7b03ee4ae5.jpeg  

Mahindra XUV300 : Official Review-3b22fcdb977542d1afdc44245cacd98e.jpeg  

Mahindra XUV300 : Official Review-409c049b051b4c23ab7341535f5820a8.jpeg  

Mahindra XUV300 : Official Review-a186001ec4e247f2a5968144da329c2c.jpeg  

Aditya_Dhull is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th August 2021, 22:50   #528
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya_Dhull View Post
Hi guys,

The headlights are really poor. I’ve been following some recommendations by you guys on this thread and will definitely need to upgrade the lights. Especially for the terrible and sometimes dangerous Maharashtra roads. If anyone knows a good Auto Accessories Shop in Mumbai, kindly recommend. I was wondering if I can upgrade the rear view camera too, it’s very poor quality at night.
I have recently upgraded the bulbs on my W8(o). Osram nightbreaker laser for the low beam, TVS LED for the high beam.
As for the reverse camera, you can't upgrade the camera alone. You will likely need to also add some kind of connector thingy to the cables coming from the new camera, and remove specific cables from the older connector. Could get messy. The camera is ok in daylight, but can be quite grainy at night. I've just gotten used to it at this point.

Quote:
It’s sad that Mahindra removed small yet important features like the boot lamp and the heated ORVMs. Especially after the increase in price. The ORVMs get foggy way too quickly and the water droplets make them almost unusable while driving in the rain.
I completely agree. Heated ORVM is the one feature I am incredibly sore about. Our monsoons are heavy enough that mirrors on most cars become useless quite immediately. On my previous vehicle I had gotten small flaps that went above the mirror to block some water. Currently I am trying out an anti-rain coating that I bought from Mr. DIY store, but yet to test it.

Quote:
Now, I need an advice from you guys here. The next day after the delivery I noticed that all the 4 disc breaks were rusted. I googled about it a little and spoke to the dealership too. Both threw up the same answers, that it’s common for the disc breaks in new cars to be rusty since they are parked in the open compounds of the factory, especially if we buy the cars around the monsoons. Apparently after driving in dry conditions after a while the rust (which they say is only surface level) gets scraped off after a few hundred kilometres.

But I’m still a little worried about these rusted breaks. I’m attaching a few pictures here and would love to know if you guys have any idea or any experience about this problem.
Rust on discs is normal. Especially in this current humid monsoon weather, leaving the car parked for even 2 days will attract a mild layer of rust. I faced this recently, and talked to a friend of mine who happens to be a service technician. He said these discs are usually just iron, and it is bound to attract rust. Sad part is that their function is such that we can't even coat them in anything to avoid the rust.

However the rust isn't a source of problem as such, since the very first brake operation will skim that surface right off the disc. You might feel a slight crunch when moving your parked car after a couple of days. This is due to spot rust formation on the rear discs, which will stay engaged due to the parking brake.

On a separate note, need some inputs from other owners here:

When the car has the engine running, how do I only shut off the engine and go to ACC mode? If I hit the keyless start/stop button while the engine is running, it goes straight to OFF mode even if I have depressed the clutch.
Old 30th August 2021, 19:21   #529
BHPian

Completed a really long trip with my Phoenix. Kharagpur to Mumbai (almost 2200 km) over the course of 3 days. Here is my experience:

Route Taken: The shortest route is via Raipur-Nagpur (1850 km). However, I was not very sure about the road conditions. Hence we decided to take a slightly longer route via Bhubaneswar-Visakhapatnam-Vijaywada-Hyderabad-Pune-Mumbai. An additional 300 kms but undoubtedly much better road conditions, especially post monsoon.

Stopovers: Day 1 at Vizag and day 2 at Hyderabad.

Road conditions: Kharagpur-Balasore stretch is quite good, though it is only 4 lanes. Then comes the worst part of the trip (Balasore-Cuttack) which is under construction and the road is very bad. The stretch from Cuttack to Brahmapur is good enough (though not the best). But once you cross Brahmapur and enter Andhra Pradesh, there is no looking back. The roads are just amazing - wide, almost zero potholes and such joy to drive on. Other than small stretches in between, the roads till Mumbai are super awesome.

Performance of the car: Oh boy! How it impressed me. It performed flawlessly for the entire stretch of 2200 kms, always ready to do anything it is asked for. The roads allowed the car to be constantly driven in triple digit speeds, and at stretches, speeds far north , and it did these speeds without a flinch. The stability was amazing and the car never felt nervous. The steering modes are super helpful and the sports mode added confidence at these high speeds.
I got to test the braking too. Got into a situation while entering Mumbai where an Alto in front did a sudden braking. I had to go all in (had speeds around 50-60 km/hour) and the car stopped without a fuss. The ABS worked perfectly, and fortunately for me, no one hit us from behind.
We were 3 of us and had to carry a lot of luggage. So we made use of the 60:40 split to make the car a 3 seater and generate maximum space possible. Once the seat was down, the boot space was impressive. Besides all the bags and other things, we had an ergonomic chair and we could fit the same in easily. The wide opening of the boot helped, and this is something a sedan with 450L boot wouldn't have accommodated. The width of the car ensured that the single seat at the back, helped us sit without a fuss.
The only negative I felt was the absence of the rear AC vents. This was the first time I sat at the back of my car for some time and I missed the AC vents at the back. Not that the AC is not effective, but it needs to be played with to make the cooling at the back pronounced. Just switching on the AC at 22-24 degrees would be super comfortable at the front, but it isn't effective enough at the back. We found the hack though - switching on the AC at it's lowest setting and then gradually increasing the temperature to optimum levels, cools the back effectively. However, the front passengers may feel the chill during the process.
As for fuel efficiency, I got 15.6 kmpl for the entire trip. I never expected any better, given that the car was never driven to extract economy, saw continuous high speeds, and experienced B2B traffic for long durations in Vizag, Vijaywada, Pune and Mumbai. I followed ashishk29's advice and maintained 36 psi.
Overall, it was such an amazing experience, and I look forward for similar ones very soon.

Here are some snaps from the trip.

Mahindra XUV300 : Official Review-whatsapp-image-20210823-10.28.42.jpeg
Mahindra XUV300 : Official Review-whatsapp-image-20210823-10.29.23.jpeg
Mahindra XUV300 : Official Review-whatsapp-image-20210823-10.29.23-1.jpeg
Mahindra XUV300 : Official Review-whatsapp-image-20210823-10.29.23-2.jpeg
Mahindra XUV300 : Official Review-whatsapp-image-20210820-09.46.45.jpeg
Mahindra XUV300 : Official Review-whatsapp-image-20210820-17.32.38.jpeg
Mahindra XUV300 : Official Review-whatsapp-image-20210821-07.37.40.jpeg
Mahindra XUV300 : Official Review-whatsapp-image-20210821-07.39.15.jpeg
Mahindra XUV300 : Official Review-whatsapp-image-20210822-17.53.35.jpeg
Mahindra XUV300 : Official Review-whatsapp-image-20210822-17.57.37.jpeg
Mahindra XUV300 : Official Review-whatsapp-image-20210820-12.02.21.jpeg
Mahindra XUV300 : Official Review-whatsapp-image-20210820-12.02.19.jpeg

Last edited by SansGT : 30th August 2021 at 19:26.
SansGT is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 5th September 2021, 15:34   #530
BHPian

Mahindra XUV300 : Official Review-img_7168.jpg

Mahindra XUV300 : Official Review-img_7178.jpg

Mahindra XUV300 : Official Review-img_7203.jpg

Mahindra XUV300 : Official Review-img_7205.jpg

Mahindra XUV300 : Official Review-img_7452.jpg

Did a ~1300km trip with some friends from Pune to Jog Falls in K'taka.

Splendid drive. The car is a beast on long highways. 85kmph cruise control without breaking a sweat, and comfortably pushes way above that when the road permits for it.

The stiff suspension does make for some sharp hits on very bad roads, but that's fairly managed.

Managed to get an average of 19.2kmpl throughout. This included about 70% of nice wide highways, and 30% of narrow state highways and ghat roads, which limited the drive to about 50-60kmph.

The rains did make me miss the heated ORVMs which I would love to have had!

Did have one minor incident where the TPMS sensor for the front left suddenly reported pressure loss out of nowhere. Got down, did a physical inspection, and the tyre looked and felt fine. A few minutes later the TPMS reading went back to the expected levels. Looks like it was a false alarm.
ashishk29 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 5th September 2021, 21:04   #531
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashishk29 View Post

The stiff suspension does make for some sharp hits on very bad roads, but that's fairly managed.

Seeing quite a few owners reporting the stiff suspension. Did Mahindra change the tuning?

Did a TD of all sub 4m CSUVs an year ago, and I felt the XUV300 smoothened rough roads way better than the Ecosport, Nexon and Brezza. Dare I say almost better than the Harrier, that it took me by surprise. The same road, all TDs done in the same week.

Ofcourse Nexon had the best compromise in suspension setup, while the Ecosport had the best steering feel. But the XUV300 had the best ride comfort.
DicKy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2021, 09:34   #532
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DicKy View Post
Seeing quite a few owners reporting the stiff suspension. Did Mahindra change the tuning?

Did a TD of all sub 4m CSUVs an year ago, and I felt the XUV300 smoothened rough roads way better than the Ecosport, Nexon and Brezza. Dare I say almost better than the Harrier, that it took me by surprise. The same road, all TDs done in the same week.

Ofcourse Nexon had the best compromise in suspension setup, while the Ecosport had the best steering feel. But the XUV300 had the best ride comfort.
I don't think so. It has an amazing suspension and smoothens out bad roads with ease.
SansGT is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2021, 09:33   #533
BHPian

hello Guys,

am a new member here on Team BHP and have followed 2 threads very closely - the one on Nexon and this one - ofcourse these are the 2 cars I've shortlisted Nexon XZ+ and XUV W8 - both Petrol and to be honest - its a difficult choice. Both fit my budget and both have their pro's and cons. Putting some questions here:
  1. In terms of engine noise (PETROL) in the cabin - how does XUV 300 compare with Nexon.
  2. Is the A/c powerful enough to cool the large cabin fast, given that XUV doesn't have rear a/c vents. I am in Baroda and the summers are nasty.
  3. What is the realistic Tank to Tank fuel efficiency in city(light traffic) and highways(85-110 Kmps) in XUV
Thank you
Old 7th September 2021, 11:00   #534
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mihir_m13 View Post
hello Guys,

am a new member here on Team BHP and have followed 2 threads very closely - the one on Nexon and this one - ofcourse these are the 2 cars I've shortlisted Nexon XZ+ and XUV W8 - both Petrol and to be honest - its a difficult choice. Both fit my budget and both have their pro's and cons. Putting some questions here:
  1. In terms of engine noise (PETROL) in the cabin - how does XUV 300 compare with Nexon.
  2. Is the A/c powerful enough to cool the large cabin fast, given that XUV doesn't have rear a/c vents. I am in Baroda and the summers are nasty.
  3. What is the realistic Tank to Tank fuel efficiency in city(light traffic) and highways(85-110 Kmps) in XUV
Thank you
1. I found the NVH on the XUV better than the Nexon. Mahindra have really gone above and beyond to reduce the cabin noise. Case in point, I recently noticed that there was white foam padding on the inside of the wheel well, i.e. inside the engine bay.
Mahindra XUV300 : Official Review-ec66fea55d0b4405a598d9afbd1d1898.jpg
2. The A/C is definitely powerful enough. There might be some delta compared to the Nexon, but I believe that's because Nexon has a slightly smaller cabin. But overall, the A/C does a fine job.
I personally can't comment about 3, since I have a diesel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DicKy View Post

I suspect one reason for my experience might have to do with the tyre pressures. Ever since I lost a tyre to a pothole, and the MRF mechanic recommended I run 36psi, I have been diligently doing so. That might be causing the bumpy feeling rather than the suspension.

================================================== ===============

Mahindra XUV300 : Official Review-img_7478.jpg
Mahindra XUV300 : Official Review-img_7477.jpg

Apart from this, I am noticing that my wipers are leaving these massive streaks across the windshield, effectively rendering it useless. Any thoughts on the cause? The watchman here washes my car daily, could it be because of him wiping the wiper blades?

Last edited by ashishk29 : 7th September 2021 at 11:00. Reason: typo
ashishk29 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th September 2021, 11:20   #535
BHPian

Quote:

Apart from this, I am noticing that my wipers are leaving these massive streaks across the windshield, effectively rendering it useless. Any thoughts on the cause? The watchman here washes my car daily, could it be because of him wiping the wiper blades?
Try cleaning the glass with Colin 2-3 times and operate wiper (make sure the wiper is clean) and check. If the issue persists, then replace those wipers.

How many months / years old, those wipers?

I would first change those wipers. Just go for the OEM wipers that came with the car. If the washing is done with normal borewell water / salty water and not wiped properly, the salt in the water will settle on the glass. This may cause the wiper to not function properly.

Last edited by amvj : 7th September 2021 at 11:21.
amvj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2021, 11:23   #536
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amvj View Post
Try cleaning the glass with Colin 2-3 times and operate wiper (make sure the wiper is clean) and check. If the issue persists, then replace those wipers.

How many months / years old, those wipers?

I would first change those wipers. Just go for the OEM wipers that came with the car. If the washing is done with normal borewell water / salty water and not wiped properly, the salt in the water will settle on the glass. This may cause the wiper to not function properly.
The wipers are about 4 months old. Got the car in May.
What you said about water quality could be a part of the problem. Will have to do something about it. But not sure what I can
Old 7th September 2021, 14:37   #537
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The wipers are about 4 months old. Got the car in May.
What you said about water quality could be a part of the problem. Will have to do something about it. But not sure what I can
You can use RO water in the windshield washer and also use that to clean the wintshield (mix some colin in it). Then wipe it with a newspaper, it works wonders.

Worst case, buy a set of bosch wipers and check

All the best
sammyboy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2021, 14:43   #538
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyboy View Post
You can use RO water in the windshield washer and also use that to clean the wintshield (mix some colin in it). Then wipe it with a newspaper, it works wonders.

Worst case, buy a set of bosch wipers and check

All the best
Thanks! That sounds very doable. Didn't know about the newspaper trick. Will try that now.

I was considering upgrading the wipers anyway, wanted to go with those frameless things. But couldn't find the wiper sizes in the manual.
Old 8th September 2021, 01:05   #539
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks! That sounds very doable. Didn't know about the newspaper trick. Will try that now.

I was considering upgrading the wipers anyway, wanted to go with those frameless things. But couldn't find the wiper sizes in the manual.
Your problem is not with wipers but with contamination on the windscreen from car wax / grease / traffic film.

Typically this happens when:
1. your car wash guy uses the same cloth to wipe a waxed car or greasy areas and then uses it on your windscreen
2. Deposits from traffic film (diesel exhausts and road tar) build up on your windscreen
3. Contamination in your washer fluid tank

Using newspaper is a cheap way to get rid of majority of the traffic film but the best way that I know is to use a dedicated glass cleaner.
If using the windshield washer spray makes the problem worse then you need to drain it out several times with distilled (or RO) water and change the fluid.
You will also need to clean the wiper blades with an IPA solution.

My choice is Sonax Clear Glass spray as the cleaner and their Clear View Concentrate as the washer fluid.

Wiper sizes are 24" and 16".

Last edited by anantpoddar : 8th September 2021 at 01:06. Reason: Added wiper sizes
anantpoddar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th September 2021, 07:12   #540
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anantpoddar View Post
Your problem is not with wipers but with contamination on the windscreen from car wax / grease / traffic film.

Typically this happens when:
1. your car wash guy uses the same cloth to wipe a waxed car or greasy areas and then uses it on your windscreen
2. Deposits from traffic film (diesel exhausts and road tar) build up on your windscreen
3. Contamination in your washer fluid tank

Using newspaper is a cheap way to get rid of majority of the traffic film but the best way that I know is to use a dedicated glass cleaner.
If using the windshield washer spray makes the problem worse then you need to drain it out several times with distilled (or RO) water and change the fluid.
You will also need to clean the wiper blades with an IPA solution.

My choice is Sonax Clear Glass spray as the cleaner and their Clear View Concentrate as the washer fluid.

Wiper sizes are 24" and 16".
Thank you! That was super detailed. I will flush out the washer circuit first.
About the glass spray, do you add it directly to the windshield washer reservoir, or do you use it in manual cleanings?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks