Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th October 2022, 13:50   #916

Re: Mahindra XUV300 : Official Review

Just completed trip from Hyderabad to Bhopal and back in W8 (o) diesel AMT

Anyone planning to drive this route let me know and i can help with road condition etc..

Planning to pen down my review of the car as well as trip experience just after 1 month 1000km checkup.

A glimpse of FE I got during the trip
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra XUV300 : Official Review-c86beb328e59409f978cef4785e1004c.jpeg  

AlwaysCurious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2022, 12:10   #917
BHPian

Hey guys,

unfortunately had an accident with my 6 months old XUV 300. Have never ran through insurance claims. If anyone has inputs on how to handle this, including those specific to Mahindra Service Centers or HDFC Ergo, please do help.

to avoid multiple posts with same content, I am providing link to the post in Insurance Forum below. Moderators, if this is not the correct way, please let me know what to change.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...ml#post5423527 (Accident claim - Advice for first timer)
asitmonty is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2022, 16:43   #918
BHPian

Hi fellow XUV 3OO Diesel owners,

Does any of you facing pick-up issues in the 2nd gear? I got it checked during my 3rd service (for 20K Kms), the SA said there is no issue with the clutch, but the problem was due to air filter and he replaced it with new one. I don't feel that it has improved the pickup especially in the second gear. I'll have to reduce the gear to 1st gear otherwise the car stalls. It's annoying me to shift to 1st gear every time in a slow moving traffic. Stalling is another headache If any of you had faced the same issue & got a solution please help me.
IamYogi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th October 2022, 19:58   #919
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamYogi View Post
Hi fellow XUV 3OO Diesel owners,

I'll have to reduce the gear to 1st gear otherwise the car stalls. It's annoying me to shift to 1st gear every time in a slow moving traffic. Stalling is another headache If any of you had faced the same issue & got a solution please help me.
As someone who has driven more than 36000kms, I've had stalling about 5 times so far in 2nd gear. I don't think it is a pickup issue, that's the way it is and you should get over it soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by asitmonty View Post
Hey guys,
unfortunately had an accident with my 6 months old XUV 300. Have never ran through insurance claims.
I think there are enough replies to your query in the other forum.
Having seen the video, surviving that nasty swipe at a high relative velocity, the vehicle seems to have come out of it rather well, especially as everyone was safe.

Last edited by vb-saan : 20th October 2022 at 20:15. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Thank you
Duckdoc is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2022, 11:05   #920
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamYogi View Post
Does any of you facing pick-up issues in the 2nd gear?
This has nothing to do with clutch or any of that. That air filter change is just the service center exploiting you.

The issue is with the gearing of the car and nothing can be done about it. You'll eventually learn to get around this. It is a little difficult in stop go/crawling traffic.

Last edited by krishnakumar : 23rd October 2022 at 11:20.
krishnakumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2022, 13:29   #921

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashishk29 View Post
Update on the headlight upgrade:

So after some thinking and budgeting around, I settled on a hybrid combo.
Osram Nightbreaker Laser H7 for the low beam: 2600/-
TVS LED H1 for the high beam: 5500/-
Quote:
Hi ashishk29! many thanks for your posts about the headlight upgrade. I bought a xuv300 in September and did feel that the headlights were a bit underwhelming. Went through all your related posts in this thread and found myself agreeing with your rationale for the choices of lights (halogen vs led in low beam etc.,).

So, I finally went ahead and ordered the Philips x-treme vision G-force H7 for the low beam and TVS LED H1 for the high beam. Was able to easily install the low beam lights, but the TVS H1s are being an issue :

I'm able to affix the lights in the casing properly but not sure about the electrical connection. The stock H1 lamp has a different kind of base and the extra wire that comes with TVS LED has 2 wires whose connectors seem to be different sized

Mahindra XUV300 : Official Review-whatsapp-image-20221102-1.20.29-pm.jpeg

VS

Name:  Screenshot from 20221102 130718.png
Views: 1289
Size:  147.6 KB

Do you know how I can connect the wires properly? I also searched online, but wasn't able to find any definitive info on how to do it.
Old 7th November 2022, 22:01   #922
BHPian

Dear All,

I recently bought a pre-worshipped XUV 300 Diesel W8(O) 2019 Apr model, with just 16.8K on the ODO. This was a leased car registered with M&M themselves and was delighted to get it. Following are pros and cons of this new stead, along with queries I have.

Pros:
1. Engine - "Damn good", especially between 1500 to 2500 rpm range. Lunges forward like a bullet.
2. Amount of features - steering direction, TPMS, steering comfort, cruise control, sunroof so on and so forth.
3. The car seems very nimble even when it weighs around 1400 kgs.
4. Light controls especially the steering, gear shifts and clutch. I rode Ecosport and Scorpio both in diesel avatar and I can vouch for XUV 300 clutch, really eases driving in town.
5. Suspension is brilliantly tuned, hats off to Mahindra engineers.
6. NVH/refinement is on par with Hyundai.

Cons:
1. Lack of dead pedal, and then cramped up footwell makes it hard to accommodate your feet between clutch and center console, especially with those over-sized sandals.
2. Lack of under thigh support in both front and rear seats is a downer. I have been spoilt by Ecosport and Scorpio in this department.
3. Beige (rather white) leatherette seats could be hard to maintain in the long run - fingers crossed.
4. Lack of telescopic steering adjust makes me miss Ecosport dearly.
5. Of course, ubiquitous complaint of the lack of boot space.
6. The bottom/low end pull of the engine is pathetic. Especially pronounced in the second gear where the engine starts to lug in the absence of throttle input. This is in contrast with Ecosport where in-city drivability is superb, what with the second gear acceleration without any throttle input pulls the car effortlessly. I guess xuv 300 has been designed only for mid-range.

In view of the aforementioned cons, let me put forth my queries for this august forum to peruse and respond:

1. Engine mapping available to enhance low end torque/drivability?
2. Any chance a dead pedal could be installed ?
3. Have seen under thigh support as an accessory https://www.amazon.in/YQJ-Extender-C...7Y6T2WS3&psc=1 , is it any good?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by spr1ngleo : 7th November 2022 at 22:03. Reason: Formatted
spr1ngleo is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th November 2022, 23:18   #923
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spr1ngleo View Post
4. Lack of telescopic steering adjust makes me miss Ecosport dearly.

1. Engine mapping available to enhance low end torque/drivability?
2. Any chance a dead pedal could be installed ?
Man, almost exactly the same cons that I felt when I bought my XUV300. Spot on!

But I’ll tell you that you took the best decision going for a 2019 version. Mahindra has been incessantly deleting and downgrading features, I envy those 2019 BS4 models when I see them on road.

Regarding the low end torque, yes it is a problem. In Bangalore, there is a garage called Engineering Exponent who is well known in engine remapping. Comes with mod master Dr.Naren’s personal recommendation.

I spoke to EE and they confirmed that Wolf Moto has a remap available but I haven’t explored it yet because my car is still new and don’t want to void warranty. XUV300 isn’t really a very popular car (and quite underrated in my opinion) so I couldn’t find many mod stories on it online. Do reach out to them and it might be worth a long drive to Bangalore.
krishnakumar is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 8th November 2022, 21:06   #924
Bit
BHPian

There are rumors of a decently facelifted XUV 300 which promises a better infotainment system and a redesigned front grill soon (in the next 3-4 months).

However what makes it dubious is the fact that there has been a launch of the TGDI variant, along with a very minor facelift just recently in 2022 (with just the new twin peak logos and a couple of lines here and there). Common sense says that if they were planning a proper facelift, they wouldn't have introduced this cosmetic change as it makes much better sense to launch it along with the proper generation upgrade.

I've been planning for a compact SUV and "almost" fixated on XUV300 with the only thing holding me back is the infotainment screen and outdated dashboard (I couldn't care less for the boot space - I can practically live even without a boot : ) and wondering if it would make sense to wait for a few months?

Anybody has any information (or even some hunch) about any upcoming update to this beast?
Old 10th November 2022, 12:57   #925
BHPian

Quote:
6. The bottom/low end pull of the engine is pathetic. Especially pronounced in the second gear where the engine starts to lug in the absence of throttle input. This is in contrast with Ecosport where in-city drivability is superb, what with the second gear acceleration without any throttle input pulls the car effortlessly. I guess xuv 300 has been designed only for mid-range.
The poor low end response is not due to the engine per-se. The engine has enough grunt even when off turbo. The main culprit is poor second gear ratio chosen by Mahindra. The first gear is very short and the second gear is too tall and there is a large gap between the two. So you have to be at a much higher speed to engage the second gear compared to other cars. Same behavior is seen in Marazzo where you have to be at 18-19 kmph before you can shift to the second gear without the engine lugging.

Last edited by JediKnight : 10th November 2022 at 12:58.
JediKnight is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th November 2022, 07:46   #926
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ventoAsFirstCar View Post
Hi ashishk29! many thanks for your posts about the headlight upgrade. I bought a xuv300 in September and did feel that the headlights were a bit underwhelming. Went through all your related posts in this thread and found myself agreeing with your rationale for the choices of lights (halogen vs led in low beam etc.,).

So, I finally went ahead and ordered the Philips x-treme vision G-force H7 for the low beam and TVS LED H1 for the high beam. Was able to easily install the low beam lights, but the TVS H1s are being an issue :

I'm able to affix the lights in the casing properly but not sure about the electrical connection. The stock H1 lamp has a different kind of base and the extra wire that comes with TVS LED has 2 wires whose connectors seem to be different sized

Attachment 2374360

VS

Attachment 2374361

Do you know how I can connect the wires properly? I also searched online, but wasn't able to find any definitive info on how to do it.
You're quite welcome! Happy to be of help.

About the H1 bulb, I can share 2 images that I come across:

This first picture is from the owner's manual of the 300. It shows there should be 2 connectors inside the headlight bay, which you would have to connect as such:
Name:  bulb2.png
Views: 1154
Size:  98.3 KB

This is a snippet from a video about H1 bulb installation, but on a generic vehicle. You can see 2 wires attached.
Name:  h1bulb.png
Views: 1258
Size:  481.0 KB

So ideally you would connect the red wire to the wire in the centre which was attached directly to the bulb. And the black wire to the corresponding black wire.
ashishk29 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th November 2022, 07:54   #927
BHPian

Quote:
Dear All,

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishnakumar View Post
Regarding the low end torque, yes it is a problem. In Bangalore, there is a garage called Engineering Exponent who is well known in engine remapping. Comes with mod master Dr.Naren’s personal recommendation.
I'm not sure if this is because I come from a petrol car previously, but I never found the low end torque poor. Very often in the city I end up just cruising on idle in 2/3/4th gear.

If you are talking about getting the car rolling from a standstill in 2nd gear (I've seen many of my diesel car owner friends do this), then it's not supposed to do that. One might be habituated to it in a previous car, but ideally one is supposed to engage the 1st gear while starting off from a standstill. Sorry if this sounds condescending. I have no intentions of being so.
But for slowing down to about ~10-20kmph, I seem to easily roll in 2nd as is.

Also I feel that another factor here is that the XUV300 is a good 200kg heavier than the ecosport. Last I checked ecosport was 1200 something. The 300 diesel is 1400 something. That will definitely be a factor.
ashishk29 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th November 2022, 12:20   #928
BHPian

Further discussion regarding using 2nd gear instead of 1st, please go through the following thread:

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...advisable.html (Starting off in 2nd gear - Advisable?)

What the thread talks about covers not just starting from a complete standstill, but also using 2nd gear at speeds where ideally the 1st should be engaged.

Also I have another addendum for the gentleman here who mentioned they had an EcoSport; the Ecosport diesel as far as I know had a 5 speed gearbox. So each gear will be slightly longer than something on the XUV300, since it has a 6 speed gearbox.

In summation, a general word of advice to all my fellow 300 owners, please do not use 2nd gear in bumper to bumper traffic, or to get the car off a standstill. It is not designed to do that, and it will wear the clutch and gearbox faster. Older cars had a 5 speed boxes and hence the gears were wide enough in terms of range to handle such situations, but even then it was not the right thing to do.
ashishk29 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th November 2022, 22:01   #929
BHPian

Quote:
In summation, a general word of advice to all my fellow 300 owners, please do not use 2nd gear in bumper to bumper traffic, or to get the car off a standstill.
I don’t think anyone is talking about starting a car from second year or using second gear to start from standstill.

In XUV300, slowing down for a speed bump more often than not necessitates downshifting to 1st gear. Now with experience I can manage to continue in 2nd gear 7/10 times but the other times I have to downshift. Similarly in crawling traffic where the speed keeps varying between let’s say 10-25kph, one should ideally be able to lug along in 2nd gear. In our car, it just takes slightly longer for getting the revs up and for the engine to respond, often necessitating a downshift.

This is only a mild inconvenience once you know the machine. I don’t find this to be a problem at all now and have gotten around managing this well.
Old 12th November 2022, 11:48   #930
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishnakumar View Post
I don’t think anyone is talking about starting a car from second year or using second gear to start from standstill.

In XUV300, slowing down for a speed bump more often than not necessitates downshifting to 1st gear. Now with experience I can manage to continue in 2nd gear 7/10 times but the other times I have to downshift. Similarly in crawling traffic where the speed keeps varying between let’s say 10-25kph, one should ideally be able to lug along in 2nd gear. In our car, it just takes slightly longer for getting the revs up and for the engine to respond, often necessitating a downshift.

This is only a mild inconvenience once you know the machine. I don’t find this to be a problem at all now and have gotten around managing this well.
In most cases, at least in the 15-25kmph, 2nd gear more than easily covers up for me. I have not noticed it lugging in such situations. 10kmph might not be all that ideal for 2nd gear, but 25kmph it certainly happily pulls on as if in cruise.

I thought of posting it out explicitly because I have personally seen a lot of diesel vehicle owners using the 2nd as the 1st at anything above 5kmph. It's a pretty bad habit. But thankfully most such owners have older generation vehicles which have only 5 speed boxes. I do not imagine this translating well to more modern 6 speed boxes.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks