Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th July 2019, 09:14   #241
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tata Harrier : Official Review

MG was a known roadster, but that doesn't mean the branding will not apply to a different body style. Yezdi was a marquee, now resurrected by Mahindra. A Gora sitting in London can say that a commuter bike is carrying the legacy, right? If you take an empirical definition of the word Marquee, only a Rolls (now acquired) would make that cut. Definitions change as the brand evolves Brands that were Marquee even 20 years back have become less exclusive because of the growing net income of the purchasers. It's a trend when it comes to Marginal Utilities funda economics.

In my previous posts, I have given you my definition of a Marquee in these times. If you agree with that please apply that on MG and Kia. Try and articulate your position like that, let me know your thoughts. I'd also recommend you see this interview of Nalini Singh, Marketing Head at MG on the MG thread. like you, I'm also living in that neck of the woods currently as GlobalDirector, Branding. And it's interesting for me to read your perspectives. Maybe we can discuss what makes for a Marquee in a separate thread, as this space is for Harrier, I'm game for that as well. It's never pointless until we make it so. Never too late to learn, for me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
this is a pointless arguement
Old 4th July 2019, 09:24   #242
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
MG was a known roadster, but that doesn't mean the branding will not apply to a different body style.
For people who have seen both the original and the current versions, the current ones are non-entities. It just does not cut it. Both are just trying to - in a very presentable word - capitalize on some one else's sweat, success and glory.

What does the new Jawa have in common with the original Jawa ? Name ? But new-age version. It's like saying an IT engineer with the name Viswesarayya is as good as Sir. MV. Both engineers, but the guy is working in the new age field of IT.

Last edited by condor : 4th July 2019 at 09:29.
condor is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 4th July 2019, 09:31   #243
Senior - BHPian

But we are talking blockbuster here, right? Both MG and Yezdi have been lapped up by Indians. There are parallels to be drawn. So what has clicked in their messaging? And which brand has stood true to course? In branding, trust me, the Name is everything. How you adapt it to different products is the challenge. Once again, I really admire where Tata Motors is right now. Their products are good. Just wanted it to be more fleet-footed (as well-wisher). Altroz is already losing its sheen due to the delay in launch. Harrier could have done more than a dual tone, to be fighting fit - right now. That was my original post. Sorry if we digressed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
It just does not cut it.
Sebring is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2019, 09:42   #244
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
But we are talking blockbuster here, right? Both MG and Yezdi have been lapped up by Indians.
Have you ridden the original Jawa ?

With your logic, I think I can soon pass off today's Baleno as a baby Benz to you

No more posts from me on this, and not looking for your response either on this point. Cheers
condor is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th July 2019, 09:54   #245
Senior - BHPian

What makes you think you cant pass off today's Baleno as a baby Benz to me? People only seek value. For your information, the Glanza has sold 1800 copies as we speak. Rules are being rewritten in this space.
Sebring is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2019, 10:33   #246
Distinguished - BHPian

I felt that Tata should have made Harrier a full replacement of safari , they should have made it a bit bigger, taller and 7 seats with AWD atleast. Making it a 5 seater , a weak drive train, they now have to deal with all sorts of SUVs from A budget perspective anything from Top end Sub4M to XUV and Creta in-between, that's a lot to deal with and the sales isn't as good as even tata estimated.

Jawa Vs MG is interesting, Jawa looks like what the name suggests, how about MG? Whatever nonsense SAIC sold to us once in the name of Chevrolet has the potential to be back as MG, this afterall is sold as Captiva elsewhere. I think BHPians should know better than just go with the brand.
Kosfactor is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th July 2019, 14:34   #247
Distinguished - BHPian

Autocar has confirmed that the 7-seater Harrier will replace the Hexa. The 2.2 litre engine in the Hexa will not be upgraded to Bs6 for non-commercial vehicles.

It also appears the 7-seater will come with a higher state of tune for the Fiat-sourced 2.0 Diesel that will be BS6 compatible, as well as an AT option using the Hyundai sourced 6-speed Torque converter.

. I think we will only see the Harrier with the AT box once the BS6 engine/transmission combination launches.

https://www.autocarindia.com/car-new...ce-hexa-413331
84.monsoon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2019, 15:50   #248
BHPian

I am writing this comment and I would like to remind everyone that as Gto said that the harrier seemed like a beta version and we should wait for the. 2020 or 2021 models.

I am just coming out of the tata showroom after having a look at the harrier which is a may 2019 make. Needless to say that almost all the niggles pointed out by the team in the original review seem to have been sorted out.
I request senior members and fellow bhpians to- if possible- have a look at the may made models. The panel gaps are no more. Nor the speedometer needle issue and neither the the ICE going defunct. Even the terrain modes on the test drive were functional and so were the the switchable maps. However there is one thing I would like to highlight for the attention of all- the SA specially told me that Tata is working on all the issues faced in the initial models and told me to COME AND HAVE A SPECIAL LOOK WHEN THE JULY MADE MODELS ARRIVE. Any leads on this ? And he even told me that the ICE is due for an upgrade. So for the benefit of all, I request anyone who is interested in the harrier; wait for the July make models.

Mods - please correct me if I am wrong anywhere.

My phone was discharged so couldn't click any pics of the bonnet and rear quarter glass but the gaps were consistent.

The bhp keeda didn't die inside me and I went on to check the XUV also. It also seemed a lot better. The buttons didn't have any play nor the chrome accents or the speedometer cowl. The SA said sir online reviews me bahut complaints hai and company is sorting out all these. Which leaves me to ponder and think- that the reviews of this forum and indeed others are taken seriously. Leaving the topic open for discussion. Thanks.
knrn is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 4th July 2019, 15:58   #249
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by knrn View Post
I am just coming out of the tata showroom after having a look at the harrier which is a may 2019 make. Needless to say that almost all the niggles pointed out by the team in the original review seem to have been sorted out.
Which leaves me to ponder and think- that the reviews of this forum and indeed others are taken seriously. Leaving the topic open for discussion. Thanks.
Any information on:
- Making the driver arm rest usable?
- Diesel Automatic launch estimate?
- Other color options like Red?
ihrishi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2019, 19:11   #250
BHPian

Not many physical changes except for ironing out the glitches, making the panel gaps and fit- finish up to the mark and small tune ups towards steering, suspension and electronics.
The driver's arm rest is the same and no clue to the automatic which I was very specific about asking. It seems Tata is working towards ironing out the niggles faced so far. The SA and showroom manager were clueless about everything else. This is the scenario here in Jalandhar, Punjab.
knrn is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th July 2019, 10:19   #251
BHPian

Came across this reply on instagram. If they are not typing just anything, looks like there will be no Automatic till a couple of years maybe? They're hinting towards a mid-life refresh cycle launch of the autobox. Tata Harrier : Official Review-screenshot_20190705101319443_com.instagram.android.png

My concern is, every other post on the Harrier profile is filled with queries and requests for an automatic. What is keeping them so late to arrive? They could have pulled off like the Hector, just creating hype for a really long time before launching the fully polished product, but they clearly went ahead and did everything in a hurry.
PrasunBannerjee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2019, 12:44   #252
BHPian

Mid SUV June 2019 sales - Autopunditz

Tata Harrier : Official Review-mid.jpg
jailbird_fynix is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th July 2019, 16:15   #253
BHPian

Tata screws up everytime. Make no mistake about this. When you have a competent product range and yet don't sell well, the complete blame needs to be put on the senior management. I think a wholesale fire and hire is needed to clean up the mess. Simple first steps to increase sales
1) get the automatic gearbox in the Harrier with higher tune engine in higher spec models
2) offer the 4*4 automatic in the Hexa asap. Stop this foolish idea of using bs6 to axe a competent product
3) refresh the interiors of the storme to match that of the Hexa. Again provide an autobox option.
4) launch the 7 seat Harrier in conjunction with the above options. It's ok if your product cannabilize each other. The sales are within the family.
AirbusCapt is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 8th July 2019, 08:46   #254
Senior - BHPian

This is sad. 8 year old platform of XUV500 is doing 1k per month. This is certainly not the numbers you expect from an all new platform . Just modernizing Storme interiors would have fetched them decent numbers. The general auto industry trend may also be affecting Harrier. Hopefully the automatic will come to revive the sales.

Last edited by padmrajravi : 8th July 2019 at 09:03.
padmrajravi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th July 2019, 09:07   #255
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jailbird_fynix View Post
Mid SUV June 2019 sales - Autopunditz

Attachment 1891093
Surprised to see that Terrano is still selling! When I was in market last year around Diwali, Nissan dealer told me that its production has stopped because of Kicks.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks