Team-BHP - Tata Harrier : Official Review
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Official New Car Reviews (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/)
-   -   Tata Harrier : Official Review (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/209281-tata-harrier-official-review-3.html)

Excellent review! As usual attention to detail is immaculate.

Unfortunately, (from the review) it seems like Tata has left that bit – attention to detail. I feel Tata is in a good place, their designs are getting better and better, have the required templates, technical know-how and expertise, but somehow they fall short in getting it right in the first attempt.

Great Review as usual!

As said in the review the car had the potential to be great, but is being dragged down due to the quality control issues and other poorly executed bits.
Once all these are ironed out these beast of a car would be a great buy in the segment provided Tata bring out the Auto box soon enough.

Had the review in time for my lunch :thumbs up Very informative (as usual) & detailed.
The Harrier is one product with groundbreaking design, single handedly enough to sway people's decisions in its favour. Brilliant work by Tata in this aspect.
The rest of the car doesn't seem to live up to the same standard. Frankly I'm disappointed by the handling, I remember our old Indica & Manza being feel-good to drive, & if decade old products could achieve that , I don't know why it couldn't be done in a 2019 on an upmarket SUV.
The Hexa is a better alternative in almost every respect - better ride, AWD, AT, more power, space, third row, features, captain's seats etc. Not to mention it has been in production for about 3 years now, hence mostly niggle free now.

Few funny things I have noted,
Isofix: Nexon gets them on all variants, and Harrier gets on only top end.
Glovebox cooling: Nexon has it, Harrier doesn't
Footwell: Nexon has a better placed dead pedal (compratively, I use EU 10.5 shoes)
Rear cam: Quality is identical to Nexon.
Seatbelt: Nexon has height adjustable, Harrier doesn't

Strange that TATA put so much effort in Hexa and Nexon and made them worthy cars, but not so much detailed effort on Harrier.

Very detailed review and is very useful. Thanks for that.

Tata is known for making their cars strong i.e. solid and well-built cars. And in the worst case, their cars take the maximum impact keeping the passengers safe. Harrier is already making headlines for its strong bodybuild and I hope they improvise in the upcoming facelifts.

https://uk.anygator.com/article/tata...-boss__9395408

In another instance, Google search claims that Harrier was hit on the side by a truck but the passengers were safe. See the below picture.

Thank You Aditya, GTO and Team-BHP for this elaborate Tata Harrier review.

Really appreciate the detail you guys put in for every (honest) review. I think I have to postpone my buying decision till 2020 for a 2.0 Version of Harrier. Keeping my fingers crossed for AT as well.

Keep up the Good work :thumbs up:

P.S. thanks again for sharing the quote which explains Brake disc wiping, electronic Brake Pre-fill and hydraulic brake fade compensation.

A brilliant review of the most important car of 2019. The SA's will have very little to say if prospective customers stumble upon this page(well that's the case with all the Team-Bhp car reviews). Most of my friends were keen on buying the Harrier in the near future, but being Tata, they would take at least a year to iron out niggles and initial batches of any car needs to be avoided.

As always a five star rated review on a much awaited car from TATA. The attention to detail in the official reviews is out of this world. The TATA QC department should use this thread to find the finishing misses in Harrier. It’s so detailed and with proofs (photos).

Excellent and detailed review. However one major crib on the timeline - its been D-E-L-A-Y-E-D ! Most factors outside your control, as I understand that the review process had to be repeated twice with more than one reviewer. However you may consider:

- Giving an initial short review with the meat of the matter regarding engine, handling, suspension, general impressions. Peripheral stuff like MID & display, may be covered only cursorily with limited number of pictures. The short review can be posted in a reasonably quick time frame.

- Expand and flesh out that initial short review later when time permits with all the minutiae and all the detailed pictures.

A few quick points on the Harrier (the name keeps reminding me of Indian Navy's old jump-jet):

- Tata's vintage habits are shining through - I mean this in a not-so-good way, having owned a V2 Indica and a Sierra. We need to wait for the V2 version of this SUV too!

-The engine noise in the cabin appears to be more of a resonance issue - given that the designers have managed to cut out wind and road noise. That will need some detailed working on - will be fixed in the V2, I suppose?

- The rear torsion beam suspension with coil springs and Panhard rod appears to be very similar to that on the Sierra.

- The pic of the hardware under the dash - shows an apparently unpainted / non-treated metal cross member with weld marks. Are those rust marks that are already visible? Area - marked in red.

- Surprising that the vehicle has such safety critical shortcomings - the steering sensitivity & large OVRMs incorrectly positioned! Don't they have qualified test drivers with check-lists to evaluate these aspects?

Quote:

Originally Posted by aniyo (Post 4588880)
Few funny things I have noted,
Isofix: Nexon gets them on all variants, and Harrier gets on only top end.
Glovebox cooling: Nexon has it, Harrier doesn't
Footwell: Nexon has a better placed dead pedal (compratively, I use EU 10.5 shoes)
Rear cam: Quality is identical to Nexon.
Seatbelt: Nexon has height adjustable, Harrier doesn't

Strange that TATA put so much effort in Hexa and Nexon and made them worthy cars, but not so much detailed effort on Harrier.

Forgot to mention
Nexon has USB and 12v socket illumination, harrier skips this :Frustrati

Great review with good complimenting images. Worth the wait!
But frustrated after finishing reading the whole review. A good design executed in a bad way.
TATA has to get aggressive and start firing managers who have become comfortable in their seats, specifically the QC. Its really unfair to the designing team. And there's absolutely no marketing as well. Appears they have limited bandwidth to accommodate marketing of multiple products simultaneously. Hexa, Nexon and Harrier saw aggressive marketing for 2 months post launch and then absolutely nothing. They've got to be more consistent.

I have seen the trouble service managers take to make sure after sales service experience is nothing less than perfect. Almost all dealers i visited in my city had good resources working on the car. They definitely are improving the service experience. Its about time they revamp the QC as well.

Nonetheless, better late than never. Hope someone from the management is going through the posts in this thread and understands the building scepticism towards the Harrier and does something about it.

Great review of one of the most anticipated vehicles. Review of the year we can say. However the car itself if disappointing. I mean how can we have so many niggles in a new car re :Shockked:

And many of them are major ones from a user POV. Speakers going kaput, those ESP errors, random panel gaps and the sensitive steering.. The list is too long. Wonder how Tata went ahead with the launch in spite of all this. Tata should have got this right. The stakes are very high for them. Heads should be rolling and people should be getting pulled up for the mess they have created

Hopefully things will improve soon

What a wonderful review. Rated 5 stars! I hope a JTP version of Harrier with 170 Hp tune is launched in the future when all the niggles have been sorted. This car has the potential to look much sporty with tasteful mods.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aditya (Post 4588672)
• Topnotch safety kit includes 6 airbags, ESP, break reminder, hill hold, brake disc wiping & more.

This is a very satisfying sentence to read. 'Break' and 'brake' used as they should be!

The most awaited review is finally here and is indeed very well articulated. clap:

I am delighted to see the honest and detailed review of perhaps the best car design of 2019.

IMO while the Tata totally nailed the design with its Impact 2.0 design language, it will still fail to convince majority to shell out Rs. 20 lakh on a product which has niggles and long-term reliability issues. Some of us who will decide to sign on the dotted line ignoring the issues may regret their decision later (atleast for the initial batches). Not to mention that the re-sale value of the vehicle (considering 10 year limit on diesel vehicles) will be further affected due to these issues.

No power seats even in the top spec is a bummer.

I really hope that Tata takes control of things and iron out all the issues at the earliest.

:OT
Are we aware of the upcoming Tata cars that will flaunt the Impact 2.0 design?

Having lived overseas for a considerable time and following different auto websites and magazines over decades, I've never come across such an honest and passionate bunch of motoring enthusiasts as Team BHP. Really thankful and proud of your excellent work Aditya and team. clap:

This review is one of the best examples of how professional and fair the team is. I was eagerly waiting for this, to decide between Hexa, XUV 500 and Harrier. Got to admit, I've got the Indian manufacturer bug and was hoping that Harrier will solve all my requirements and the Team BHP review will find no major flaws. It's painful to read about the steering issue that too in a vehicle they claim to have tested for millions of kms!

Although not well versed in the latest stipulations regarding diesel vehicles, I've got to admit that Hexa is looking like the most attractive proposition.I have to get something in 2019, is it worth waiting till year end for an improved Harrier version/ facelift Hexa or even the Kia SUV?