Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th October 2019, 20:11   #526
BHPian

Re: Tata Harrier : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram87pune View Post
...a completely new and inhouse developed 1.6 ltr GDI engine which is also turbocharged. Will post the specs as soon as I get them...
That is a mouthwatering prospect

I hope they plonk that engine into the Altroz and let the Wizards at Coimbatore (JTP/Jayem Auto) work their magic on it so that we can have the Altroz in a JTP Avatar.
vik99 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th October 2019, 21:20   #527
vdi
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VOLANTE View Post
Tata Harrier Petrol and Automatic variant launch sooner than we expect? Updated news from indianautomotive IG page!

Attachment 1921093

The same page posted a very negative post few days prior to this update.

As ram87pune this is just to attract views to their page.
vdi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2019, 15:43   #528
BHPian

After doing a 1500 kms drive in mixed road conditions (highways, ghats, village roads, and off-roading like terrain), Harrier impresses me. For the mileage crazy, it returned an average mileage of 15kmpl. I think the optimum speed for best mileage is 80-100kmph.

Harrier behaves solid on highways and gives excellent passenger comfort in both rows.
The entertainment unit didn't hang after/during 6-7 hours of continuous use. This was one of the most heard complaint. Probably, the issue is fixed in batches from July onward. Didn't face any issue in connectivity and touch screen works as expected.

Some amount of noise is sent to the cabin in first three gears, but is silent and smooth in the later three.

The main sour point as I see is the placement/size of the rear view mirror, which creates a blind spot especially when you are preparing to take a right turn. Saying that one will get used to it gradually is like giving a tight slap on the face and saying "you will get used to it when you get the third or fourth slap". They should have identified and fixed it during test drives.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Harrier : Official Review-img_20191003_074027.jpg  

Last edited by igniteddriver : 10th October 2019 at 16:10.
igniteddriver is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 10th October 2019, 15:58   #529
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by igniteddriver View Post
The main sour point as I see is the placement/size of the rear view mirror, which creates a blind spot especially when you are preparing to take a right turn. Saying that one will get used to it gradually is like giving a tight slap on the face and saying "you will get used to it when you get the third or fourth slap". They should have identified and fixed it during test drives.
Good to see that you are enjoying the car. Regarding the oversized ORVM's, as I have said earlier TML is working on a different shape for the ORVM's but don't know as of now when they will be introduced.

And the testing team of the Harrier had diagnosed this ORVM issue in the very beginning but my sources tell me that Mr.Bose and his team had their way with the design. It's more function following form kind of thing.
ram87pune is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 10th October 2019, 18:12   #530
BHPian

Quote:
the auto and other updates are coming with BS6 early next year.

Do you know/have a general timeline for the Automatic launch ? Will it be say, Jan 2020 or after April 2020. I'm asking because I'm sick of waiting for an automatic replacement for my current ecosport and am on the verge of deciding for the Seltos (having booked and cancelled it once, because I don't really like it that much) because I don't see too many decent options.
Old 10th October 2019, 18:22   #531
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharninder View Post
Do you know/have a general timeline for the Automatic launch ? Will it be say, Jan 2020 or after April 2020. I'm asking because I'm sick of waiting for an automatic replacement for my current ecosport and am on the verge of deciding for the Seltos (having booked and cancelled it once, because I don't really like it that much) because I don't see too many decent options.
The general timeline for the launch of Harrier Auto is year end or early next year. It all depends on when Tata launches the 170hp BS6 engine. But we will have a clear picture after the media drives of the Cassini. That is Tata is most likely to conduct the media drives of Cassini and Harrier Automatic back to back or together.

And please be patient is all I am saying. If you have your eyes set on the Harrier then please wait. Because then you will not only get the Automatic, but also a more powerful engine, better looking alloys and the panoramic sunroof.
Tata is also going to introduce an Electronic Parking Brake next year. But I am not sure if it will be available on 1st April or later.
ram87pune is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 11th October 2019, 09:51   #532
BHPian

Quote:
Do you know/have a general timeline for the Automatic launch ? Will it be say, Jan 2020 or after April 2020. I'm asking because I'm sick of waiting for an automatic replacement for my current ecosport
In the same boat. Also consider the Hyundai Tuscon - it is a good replacement for the Harrier and considering the current discounts makes it value for money.

No doubt the Harrier is a good vehicle; but it is good to consider other options as well.
Old 11th October 2019, 12:10   #533
BHPian

Quote:
Good to see that you are enjoying the car. Regarding the oversized ORVM's, as I have said earlier TML is working on a different shape for the ORVM's but don't know as of now when they will be introduced.
After having read so much about the Harrier's blind spot creating ORVMs, I checked them very closely when I saw a Harrier parked at a marriage hall.

My God! It is humongous!. Do we need to see the world behind us or the road?
On the other hand, brake lights which are so crucial are so tiny!

Anyway good to know that they are working on the ORVM issue. They need to both decrease and increase in two different areas.
Nalin1 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 21st October 2019, 20:03   #534
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
... Seltos (having booked and cancelled it once, because I don't really like it that much) because I don't see too many decent options.
Suggestion - if you dont like Seltos, then dont get it ! This is not a disposable item that can be changed.

Btw, I saw a test Harrier again today. But heading in the opposite direction. Hope I can catch it one of these days.
Old 21st October 2019, 21:46   #535
Vmv
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalin1 View Post
On the other hand, brake lights which are so crucial are so tiny!
After we observed that the brake lights are so small for it's size , the mighty fortuner & Octavia also have small brake lights ! May be 5 to 7 LED lights. The Harrier have the smallest in three.

Attached the picture for reference , please bare with the image quality. it was very difficult to find

Our Team-BHP reviews does not show both cars brake lights, kindly consider the same in "all lights in action".
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Harrier : Official Review-2019tataharrier43.jpg  

Tata Harrier : Official Review-images.jpg  

Tata Harrier : Official Review-neontyperearpillarclusterledlightsfortoyotanewfortunersi000913731500x1500.jpg  

Last edited by Vmv : 21st October 2019 at 21:48. Reason: Details added
Old 21st October 2019, 22:08   #536
Senior - BHPian

Harrier's tiny brake lights are actually a copy of the mighty land rover discovery brake lights. I got stuck behind a Discovery 5 the other day and had a tough time finding whether it was braking. Didn't click a picture, but found one in google. That is how the Disco 5 brake lights look when illuminated.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Harrier : Official Review-n3js3aej.jpg  

Last edited by padmrajravi : 21st October 2019 at 22:17.
padmrajravi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2019, 00:39   #537
Distinguished - BHPian

What are you packing under the hood - the 170HP, the AT or the petrol?

Test mule caught near Hadapsar, Pune by Sarthak Shewale.

Tata Harrier : Official Review-1.jpg

Tata Harrier : Official Review-2.jpg

Tata Harrier : Official Review-3.jpg

Tata Harrier : Official Review-4.jpg

Tata Harrier : Official Review-5.jpg

Tata Harrier : Official Review-6.jpg
RavenAvi is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2019, 07:03   #538
Senior - BHPian

I got a chance to test drive Harrier on Mysore road last week. The whole set up of driver seat and steering looks pathetic, rear windshield is very small, ORVM's look like mirrors inside a bathroom. The long clutch play is not helpful for city drives. In comparison Hexa was very comfortable to drive on the same road in peak hour.
deehunk is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2019, 08:37   #539
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deehunk View Post
I got a chance to test drive Harrier on Mysore road last week. The whole set up of driver seat and steering looks pathetic, rear windshield is very small, ORVM's look like mirrors inside a bathroom. The long clutch play is not helpful for city drives. In comparison Hexa was very comfortable to drive on the same road in peak hour.
The good thing is TATA is working in an agile and iterative way to solve problems. They have fixed the uneven panel gap issues, resolved bugs with the infotainment system, are re-working the rear-view mirrors, replacing the in-ergonomic parking brake with an electric one, and testing the AT and the BSVI 170 hp engines. Once the AT with BSVI 170ho motor is here and if it is priced right, there will be no competition for Harrier Diesel AT in the 20 lakh mid size SUV segment. Not to forget, is was, is and will remain the best looking SUV across a couple of segments above and below!

Last edited by 84.monsoon : 22nd October 2019 at 08:40.
84.monsoon is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2019, 09:45   #540
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deehunk View Post
What also hurts me is that while putting all eggs in the 2.0 MJD2 basket, Tata has given up on developing a 2.0L version of the Varicor400 from the Hexa/Storme. M&M already has the 2.0mHAWK ready & testing. What a disappointment to see a wonderful engine maker like Tata simply being lazy in such a field of real technical mastery.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
The good thing is TATA is working in an agile and iterative way to solve problems.
Not to forget, is was, is and will remain the best looking SUV across a couple of segments above and below!
If only looks could sell cars, the Punto, Polo, Compass would be the only cars on the roads. To many, looks are very secondary (even in my case, the previous 3 cars have really been quite boring or outright ugly on looks!). The points @deehunk mentioned are about the driving experience. Key is that the Hexa felt better! Harrier isn't reaching where it should be & Hexa is not being properly sold to do justice to it's caliber.

Also - I work in the software industry (too) and trust me, agile is the way of working in which the customer really suffers the most agony and can do nothing about it. Don't you think this agile delivery of a car means existing customers are being horribly short-changed? Its their fault that they showed trust on the product and put money on it? So that R&D can be done for upcoming customers? Jury really is out on whether its a "good thing" IMO. And working agile doesn't mean 1 takes 12 months to solve little things. Sloths move faster.

Last edited by Reinhard : 22nd October 2019 at 09:47.
Reinhard is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks