Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th October 2019, 15:52   #556
BANNED

Re: Tata Harrier : Official Review

Tata Harrier automatic variant is expected to be launched in February 2020.

-Variant rejig highly probable

-To feature sunroof along with other updates and improvements

-Likely to be displayed in 2020 Auto Expo along with the production spec Buzzard

-A Rs 1 lakh premium over the manual version can be expected for the automatic

Source: OD
wheelguy is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 26th October 2019, 00:55   #557
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prateek19 View Post
In Harrier, you will feel like a family man but in Storme you will feel like a college boy.
So to start with the Buzzard and not the Harrier IMHO should be the successor to the Safari.

Before I say anything else I should say that I was a proud owner of the Safari DICOR 2.2 for 10 years and to me its a classic. I have also had test drives of the Harrier

- The Buzzard's design while retaining some of the Harrier's radical elements still retains features like the roof rails, stepped roof which gives more than a passing resemblance to the Safari

- The Buzzards dimensions too are very similar to the Safari's

- One obvious and glaring omission is the 4WD which Tata should rectify in keeping with the image of the Safari brand

Given the cult status of a Safari and the fan following it would be an opportunity missed if they do not use the brand equity of the Safari for the Buzzard especially now that its the vehicle of choice for the Indian Army.
nainan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th October 2019, 12:10   #558
Senior - BHPian

Really hope Tata ditches the infotainment system for something less buggy this time. Another customer uploaded this video this week.

The Buzzard Sport(H5X) rims in the spyshot don't really do much for me. Wish they'd offer the HSE Disco rims or a less expensive knockoff to go with it.
Nithesh_M is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th October 2019, 21:45   #559
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Tata Harrier 7 seater 'Buzzard' automatic SUV spied – Rear roof spoiler revealed.

Attachment 1927103

Link

The shady and cheapo looking hornpad on the steering wheel with those weird bulges continues . Wish TATA had fixed this and updated to somethign that looks worthy of a 2 Million rupee car.
84.monsoon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2019, 11:19   #560
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
The shady and cheapo looking hornpad on the steering wheel with those weird bulges continues .
That looks more like the relic of the truck element to remind all that we haven't forgotten where we came from. The horn pad could have been better.

On the entertainment unit, not sure whether the vehicle reported above is from the earlier batches. If that is the case, they should probably get the SW updated. I am driving an XM variant manufactured in July and has all the latest software updates. I haven't faced any issues so far. I am thinking that the issues have been fixed in recent batches.
Old 29th October 2019, 11:28   #561
Senior - BHPian

My sources told me that the earliest Harrier mules were sporting Harman software which was completely trouble free and free from any bugs. But Tata had made some MOU with Visteon for supply of software for the Racemo project. When this project got shelved, Tata had to honour the contract with Visteon and so had to switch from Harman to Visteon.

This resulted in less maturation time for the infotainment system and the subsequent bugs and crashes. But now all the glitches have been resolved and newer batch of Harriers do not have any issues as far as the infotainment system goes. If Tata had used the Harman system for Harrier, then we would have had a trouble free system from day 1.
ram87pune is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th October 2019, 12:05   #562
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram87pune View Post
My sources told me that the earliest Harrier mules were sporting Harman software which was completely trouble free and free from any bugs. But Tata had made some MOU with Visteon for supply of software for the Racemo project. When this project got shelved, Tata had to honour the contract with Visteon and so had to switch from Harman to Visteon.
Doesnt look like this is the case, I may be wrong too. After seeing the unit in my car, a person working for Harman confirmed performing various testing for this device. The moment she saw the unit in my car, she asked me "Isn't it a Harman system" and said that her team had done extensive testing of it. Leaves me confused.

Last edited by igniteddriver : 29th October 2019 at 12:06.
igniteddriver is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th October 2019, 16:35   #563
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Guys, with 2020 nearing (and thus, the Buzzard launch), let's discuss the Buzzard on a dedicated new thread - link.

We can keep this Official Review for the Harrier only.
GTO is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th October 2019, 21:21   #564
BHPian

Compass and Harrier has the same 2.0 l engine. Jeep produces ~170 bhp and Harrier produces ~140 bhp. If Harrier is remapped, would the improved configuration result in 140 bhp + 10-20% OR 170 bhp + 10-20%? I had called up Pete's (Kochi). They said that ECU remap for both the vehicles involve complex process and is risky. They won't recommend remap till the process is simplified.

Last edited by nexus : 29th October 2019 at 21:22.
nexus is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th October 2019, 18:46   #565
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexus View Post
Compass and Harrier has the same 2.0 l engine. Jeep produces ~170 bhp and Harrier produces ~140 bhp. If Harrier is remapped, would the improved configuration result in 140 bhp + 10-20% OR 170 bhp + 10-20%? I had called up Pete's (Kochi). They said that ECU remap for both the vehicles involve complex process and is risky. They won't recommend remap till the process is simplified.
A remap can very much match the Hector/Compass' output numbers. Its an absolutely identical engine with different maps. However - any Harrier right now is absolutey in warranty. So doing an engine remap isn't worth it considering that voids the valuable warranty IMO.
Reinhard is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2019, 08:59   #566
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
A remap can very much match the Hector/Compass' output numbers. Its an absolutely identical engine with different maps. However - any Harrier right now is absolutey in warranty. So doing an engine remap isn't worth it considering that voids the valuable warranty IMO.
So when Tata talks about Kryotec 2.0 engine, are they just boasting about a map (used for detuning) and nothing else?
Old 31st October 2019, 09:23   #567
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
So when Tata talks about Kryotec 2.0 engine, are they just boasting about a map (used for detuning) and nothing else?
Kryotec is a branding name. Purely commercial purposes. Something absolutely every car maker does in engine sharing agreements. Here are a few samples -

Fiat 1.3 MultiJet
Maruti - DDiS
Tata - Quadrajet
GM/Chevy - TCDi

Fiat 2.0 MultiJet 2.0
Tata - Kryotec 2.0
MG - ? (No name?)

There would certainly be differences in some packaging bits like where they route the manifold plumbing, mountings, filter placements etc. But those are dependent on the car designs for fitments & not at all changes to the engine's fundamental design & construction.

In fact, these MJD engines are manufactured at a joint owned manufacturing plant of Tata-Fiat at Ranjangaon (Pune). While outwardly they showed that the "partnership" was over, it was only for the sales/spare supply arm. Everything else remains quite tightly coupled. The Nexon & Compass are made in the same factory for instance.
Reinhard is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 31st October 2019, 09:27   #568
BHPian

Quote:
There is more than just detuning. There are multiple maps for the drive modes and terrain response system which changes the engine throttle response, all this while meeting the current emission norms in each of the mode.
Old 31st October 2019, 10:01   #569
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by beast_within View Post
There is more than just detuning. There are multiple maps for the drive modes and terrain response system which changes the engine throttle response, all this while meeting the current emission norms in each of the mode.
That's absolutely true. However, to sum it up, its still all just different software engine maps for the ECU (including those for the terrain response). Like @nexus asked, the engine indeed is just the same with a different badge and cover plate.
Reinhard is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2019, 10:09   #570
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
That's absolutely true. However, to sum it up, its still all just different software engine maps for the ECU (including those for the terrain response). Like @nexus asked, the engine indeed is just the same with a different badge and cover plate.
Does Jeep Compass and Hector have DPF in its current avatar or shall be introduced with the BS-6 versions?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks