Team-BHP - Tata Harrier : Official Review
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Official New Car Reviews (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/)
-   -   Tata Harrier : Official Review (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/209281-tata-harrier-official-review-41.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reinhard (Post 4691463)
I didn't understand the question & the context of the large quoted paragraph. Source of it is missing,

Source: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...ml#post4691162

I meant, non bashing post:deadhorse

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reinhard (Post 4691463)
I didn't understand the question & the context of the large quoted paragraph. Source of it is missing, so not able to read the whole content and understand the point better.
. :D

Then context being a news in Gaadiwadi titling similar to '7 most common issues with KIA Seltos', highlighting a few social media posts on poor ASS, parts availability, infotainment system kaput, DCT mileage delivering 6-7 kmpl etc.

Has any owner replaced the reverse parking camera with something that doesn't have Nokia 3220 quality image? Would it void warranty?

I didn't notice the camera during test drives but today I alternated between a top end 21 lakh Harrier and a 6.5 lakh Santro and the image quality between the two was like a 2 MP Camera from an old Nokia phone vs a Nokia 1020 Lumia respectively.

Is the difference coming from infotainment screen resolution or camera quality itself? On a big vehicle like this I'd be spending a lot of time in city looking at the camera view I wouldn't usually need in a small hatch.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nithesh_M (Post 4692425)
Has any owner replaced the reverse parking camera with something that doesn't have Nokia 3220 quality image? Would it void warranty?

:uncontrol 3220!
In case someone cleans your car daily, please ensure there is no residue left over the camera after final wipe. That really messes up the image.

Do you feel the problem more in dark? Or its equally bad in day times also? If its bothering you more in the night - see if you can change your reverse lights to LED. Nexon has the exact same camera quality. I changed by reverse lights to LED & there is a world of difference now. Can see very well in the dark too.

Of course - the camera isn't exactly very good. Its the culprit. Not the ICE display. Display quality is acceptably good. If you get it changed properly without any damage elsewhere & in a similar/identical housing, warranty won't be in trouble as pretty much nobody at TASC would notice the difference.

Quote:

Originally Posted by discoverwild (Post 4690387)
It's a Harrier painted in Land Rover Red by Kitup Automotive, Coimbatore.

https://www.drivespark.com/four-whee...ve-028915.html

In the kitup modification they have smoked the head light unit and it looks really cool.

If TML made the dark edition with a smoked head lamp that would beclap::D

It is said that Tata has implemented some silent updates with respect to some of the sore points reported by early owners. Has anyone here driven both the early batch examples and the more recently produced cars (post July 19) who can comment on the following:
1. Steering tuning - twitchiness at 100+ kmph speeds
2. NVH issues, particularly engine noise
3. AVN system bugs
Has there been a real improvement on these issues, if yes to what extent?

Also, is there any news of a new (smaller) side rear view mirror design being planned for the 2020 Harrier. Do any of the spy shots of the BS6 / auto variants hint towards this?
Wondering if a new mirror is introduced later, would it possible to replace the current Harrier’s wing mirrors with those.

Quote:

Originally Posted by cogWheel (Post 4698409)
It is said that Tata has implemented some silent updates with respect to some of the sore points reported by early owners. Has anyone here driven both the early batch examples and the more recently produced cars (post July 19) who can comment on the following:
3. AVN system bugs
Has there been a real improvement on these issues, if yes to what extent?

Hi! I own an August 2019 make Harrier XZ.
1. Do not see issues with steering tuning at speeds of 100+kmph.
2. Engine is still audible in the front set on higher revvs. I'm not sure how good or worse it is when compared to a pre-July '19 batch as my only previous exposure to one of those was during a TD earlier in August. I do not find it disturbing as i've graduated from a Renault Duster where the noises from Engine, road and wind all were prominent.
3. AVN system bugs have disappeared with Ver. R11. There is no lag. The only issue I still have is with the phone getting connected-disconnected randomly during telephone calls. It has a mind of its own. No problem while listening to music. I own a OnePlus5 and the company tells me that as per the list available with them only 5 OnePlus models are supported, i.e. OP5T, OP6, OP6T, OP7T & OP7PRO. I do not buy this as OP5 is identical to OP5T in all respects.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nithesh_M (Post 4692425)
Is the difference coming from infotainment screen resolution or camera quality itself?

The camera is lousy. The screen is good.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sswami4 (Post 4687710)
Just got the infotainment updated with version 11. I must say now the infotainment is glitch free except for voice command calling.
Attachment 1931392

I second that. No lags and Bluetooth issues while listening to Music. Are you having any issues with the phone remaining connected during phone calls? My OnePlus 5 keeps connecting/ disconnecting on the Bluetooth randomly during calls.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jattitude (Post 4698737)

I second that. No lags and Bluetooth issues while listening to Music. Are you having any issues with the phone remaining connected during phone calls? My OnePlus 5 keeps connecting/ disconnecting on the Bluetooth randomly during calls.

Tata seems to have copied everything including quirks and bugs. My landrover discovery sport would keep dropping my Bluetooth music until I searched the forums and downloaded an app called Bluetooth phone book. I think this app will help harrier owners as well :D

Quote:

After updating to 11.1 , there are zero issues, even the voice command calling is perfect, it just took a day to properly synchronise contacts since the contact list was over 1300
The music doesn't lag, no call drops , nothing till now in the last 1 month since the update

Quote:

3. AVN system bugs have disappeared with Ver. R11. There is no lag. The only issue I still have is with the phone getting connected-disconnected randomly during telephone calls. It has a mind of its own. No problem while listening to music. I own a OnePlus5 and the company tells me that as per the list available with them only 5 OnePlus models are supported, i.e. OP5T, OP6, OP6T, OP7T & OP7PRO. I do not buy this as OP5 is identical to OP5T in all respects.

Do you connect with google play or BT. I have been told that there is a major difference in music quality when played/connected through wire Google Play in comparison to playing only through BT.

Moreover, its been reported that the earlier version didn't have any antivirus and most of issues faced earlier by the people who played music through a USB drive and in turn ended up infecting their AVN system.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTO (Post 4594323)
Am extremely happy to hear this :thumbs up. At the end of the day, it is a simple fix...

Quote:

Originally Posted by jailbird_fynix (Post 4628122)
For existing owners of the Harrier - Along with the free monsoon check-up, Tata Harrier owners are entitled for free updates
[list=1]
...[*]Steering wheel mechanism update for improved feedback and responsiveness. (heavier)
...[*]NVH levels have been improved.

So, how simple / complicated are these fixes? For the steering tuning, is it just an ECU update or some hardware tuning / replacement? Similarly, what does NVH improvement as a service update involve?
Asking as I am considering an used Harrier from the early batches. So trying to understand these service updates.

Quote:

Originally Posted by cogWheel (Post 4698409)
It is said that Tata has implemented some silent updates with respect to some of the sore points reported by early owners. ...
3. AVN system bugs

I own a July version Harrier.
1. I dont see issues with steering behavior at high speeds. The drive is stable and confidence inspiring.
2. NVH: It is noisy, but not as noisy as the FIAT 1.4 petrol that Harrier replaced. And not noisy enough to be concerned, from my view.
3. Music system is still an issue. They reinstalled the software, but could not resolve the issue. The new update seems to be still unavailable for online install. They said Harman technician has to come to upgrade the SW. They said, though the device is from Visteon, the maintenance and upgrades are provided by Harman. Don't know how far this is true.
It is not like they dont work all the time. Issues pop up once in a while. Turn off the engine and start again, it starts working.

The issues that I faced with the system so far are these:
1. Display of the entertainment unit becomes unresponsive and remains showing CONNECTNEXT for long and doesn't work even if the engine is restarted, as if there is no next thing to connect to.
2. Display doesn't turn on, but FM plays, no way to turn off FM other than turning off the engine and pulling out the key.
3. Entertainment unit doesn't work at all for some time, no matter whatever I try, like restarting the engine etc
4. Music comes out, you can control it using the physical buttons like volume, next button, and steering mounted controls, but display doesn't work.

In summary, I face issues only with the entertainment unit and nothing else.
I have my comments about how their service people treat their so-called premium vehicle. Will reserve that to my ownership thread. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by AirbusCapt (Post 4698756)
I searched the forums and downloaded an app called Bluetooth phone book. I think this app will help harrier owners as well :D

Is it a safe app to use? How will it make the Bluetooth phone calls better?

Quote:

Originally Posted by sswami4 (Post 4698880)
After updating to 11.1 , there are zero issues............ nothing till now in the last 1 month since the update

Agree about zero lags and any issues while playing the music. My only concern is phone calls over Bluetooth. Just aren't reliable.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gutsy (Post 4699125)
Do you connect with google play or BT. I have been told that there is a major difference in music quality when played/connected through wire Google Play in comparison to playing only through BT.

I usually use BT as 9/10 times my phone's on charging using a 12V fast charger. Will need to check the difference in music quality when played through a USB on Android Auto. It does sound logical that the sound will be better using a cable.

Quote:

Moreover, its been reported that the earlier version didn't have any antivirus and most of issues faced earlier by the people who played music through a USB drive and in turn ended up infecting their AVN system.

Interesting. This is the first time i've heard about the antivirus thing. Could you share any links/ your source?

Quote:

Originally Posted by igniteddriver (Post 4699464)
I own a July version Harrier.
They said, though the device is from Visteon, the maintenance and upgrades are provided by Harman. Don't know how far this is true.

It's true. Harman does the maintenance of the system, probably because Harman is already maintaining other Tata cars. Escalate the issue directly to TML. They will ensure an early visit by the Harman technician. Ver. R11 is worth your time. Solves almost every problem shared by you.

Quote:

Originally Posted by igniteddriver (Post 4699464)
I have my comments about how their service people treat their so-called premium vehicle. Will reserve that to my ownership thread. :)

A few weeks back, there was an active conversation on this topic in a Harrier WhatsApp group that has an ex-auto industry veteran (who owns a Harrier) and his interesting take on the matter made sense. Sharing his opinion verbatim below:

QUOTE "There is deep dive required here. What happened in the past several years probably a decade the Tata cars stopped selling. All the dealerships cut corners for hiring staff. Service advisors came as low as 15k a month. Workshop managers came at 20-22k service managers came at 28k the gm came at 50k. These were all industry refuse. Nobody hired them not Hyundai not nexa nobody. These guys stuck around as the only choice they had was Maruti. And Maruti was a high pressure job loads of volumes. After the nexon. The customers changed for these guys. For them to graduate to the 15 lac plus customer would take time so TAta hires professionals to train this lot. The dealer principal decided not to upgrade the staff level as he clearly displayed losses to Tata motors. Tata agreed. Now the new professionals that Tata has hired are ranking these gents after intensive training. The training at times lasts 15 days where the cost is split between the dealer principal and Tata motors ( this never ever has happened with any other brand). Those who fail are shown the door by Tata motors. Not the dealer principal. So the dp eventually gives in gradually after complaints start building up at the dealership level against those who could not perform. It’s adios for these guys after that. So in short the process has improved. You will now start feeling the difference in a few months. It takes time. The problem is as soon as these guys improve. The market grabs them. And then it’s back to square 1 again. The service industry is not a very good place to work in. Only abuses and threats from the customer, the manager, the gm , the dealer principal and of course the Tata motors regional CRM." UNQUOTE

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jattitude (Post 4699518)
... "There is deep dive required here. What happened in the past several years probably a decade the Tata cars stopped selling. All the dealerships cut corners for hiring staff. ... You will now start feeling the difference in a few months. It takes time. The problem is as soon as these guys improve. The market grabs them. And then it’s back to square 1 again. The service industry is not a very good place to work in. Only abuses and threats from the customer, the manager, the gm , the dealer principal and of course the Tata motors regional CRM." UNQUOTE

I am not surprised. In the FIAT-TATA days, there was a CRM in Concorde for FIAT. She was very good at her work gained customer confidence immensely. When the JV broke up, she left Concorde and joined a FIAT dealer as CRM. After 2-3 years there, she moved to Merc as CRM. Why was TATA unable to retain her? and we should remember that, Concorde is fully owned by TATA. They cannot blame the dealer principal.

Today, most of the service engineers talk to you based on what the technicians tell them. When we ask specific, pointed questions, these SEs have to run to the boys in workshop to give an answer. Simply put, they lack the passion for their work.

Quote:

The music quality is definitely better when connected through the USB cable or while using Google Play. The sound clarity is a few notches above when using the cable route.