Team-BHP - Tata Harrier : Official Review
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Official New Car Reviews (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/)
-   -   Tata Harrier : Official Review (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/209281-tata-harrier-official-review-45.html)

I bought the dark edition XZ and was straight on to a 1200 km ride post 100 km city roaming. The engine was raw and so were the mechanical parts.

It rode like a prince on Vadodara-Mumbai highway (I drove from Ajmer and there was a lot of construction works till I entered Gujarat so no real highway test in first phase of journey). I reminded myself of initial run-in period hence limited the rpm and speed less than 2.5K, 100kmph respectively.

Excellent handling on the highway. Got couple of harsh braking scenarios but The Harrier response was superb.

One more addition: Once I got used to driving The Harrier in couple of days, I never felt I am driving such a big car in city. It possesses ease of maneuvering in traffic. I was able to glide through traffic at the ease of my previous hatch back.

Post first service, the smoothness further increased, and the drive experience and the ride experience are butter smooth.

No need to further write on how many heads I turn every day

Planning to write travelogue in sometime (maiden trip from Ajmer to Mumbai and New Year Trip from Mumbai to Bhandardara on full load)

I must say drive The Harrier to believe.

As per reports in news18 and in CarWale December 2019 sales of Harrier has nearly doubled to that of it’s October sales. Harrier

The Chinese-owned British carmaker shipped 3,021 units of the Hector in December 2019. In comparison, the Harrier and XUV500 clocked 1,507 and 1,399 units respectively. On the other hand, the more expensive Compass garnered sales of 742 units.

Good to see Harrier selling 1507 units. Hope once Auto variants are released, it will sell around 3000 units. :)

Tata Motors should learn marketing techniques from Kia

Quote:

Originally Posted by ram87pune (Post 4714580)
As per my sources the troubles that they are going through with the Multijet engine are enough for them to keep Fiat at an arm's length in the future. So don't think they will have any more engine collaborations at least.

Will you please elaborate on the troubles of Multijet engine. I thought that this is the largest selling engine in India so must be completely sorted.

NOTE FROM SUPPORT -
Please type a reply in one go. You are requested to type one reply instead of recalling one point and adding another reply.

We advise you to read the FORUM RULES before proceeding any further.

This happened to my test drive vehicle the very first time i drove the Harrier. The dealership is like 1 km away from home and my office about 1.5km. I asked the car to be made available during lunch break at office and the TD vehicle arrived on time. I just wanted to check out if the car would fit into our narrow residential lane so I only drove it for 1.5km to home. Upon reaching the house I asked the TD guy to reverse it out of there and he needed a few multi point reversing to manage it. Then he offered to drop me to my office which was when I noticed a burning smell. I knew it was the clutch plate and he said the multiple reversing with half clutch caused it. I didn't think much of it because the TD car had 17000 kms on the odo and customers don't go easy on it.

But then I started reading about clutch burning in Hector and IIRC some cases even in the Compass itself when owners ride the half clutch in B2B traffic.

Is this a Fiat issue? Or just bad driving habit issue?

https://youtu.be/wBP_rwjyCAU

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nithesh_M (Post 4725576)
Is this a Fiat issue? Or just bad driving habit issue?

I think you nailed it with the second option. Especially with test drive cars that might have been driven by people who don't care about riding the clutch or do not know any better (I also wouldn't be surprised if someone tried to do mild off-roading in the car in a sticky/muddy situation).

In this case, the multi-point reversing could well be the culprit :).

Tata Motors is celebrating the 1st anniversary of the Harrier from January 9-19, 2020 with #1WithMyHarrier campaign.

Tata Harrier : Official Review-tata-harrier.jpg

As part of the campaign, existing Harrier owners will get a personalized badge for their Harrier. Customers will also be offered special scuff plates, a complementary wash and vacuum clean along with a 40-point check up of their SUV.

Harrier owners will also get membership to the Harrier Service Gold Club, which includes discounts and benefits worth up to Rs. 8,400 on any service over the next 2 years. Additionally, Amazon Gift vouchers worth Rs. 5,000 will be offered on new referrals.

Link to Team-BHP News

They are celebrating the first anniversary! They should instead be ashamed that such a product isn't doing as well as it should because of their incompetence and casual attitude at launch.

They should instead have gifted the Harrier an AT. That would have been the best gift if you ask me. The car is dangerously close to being a mediocre offering in the segment when it comes to sales, and an AT if not a petrol is a very urgent need instead of celebrating anniversaries and offering black editions (I do appreciate the effort and the way it looks but there are more important things to do).

This is what the need of the hour is:

- A better equipped XM variant or an XM+ atleast with climate control, the signature DRLs and a few more features thrown in like the Hexa XM+

- An automatic transmission which they have already delayed too much and will keep doing till they get a BS-6 compatible Harrier

- An XZ+ variant with a sunroof, auto dimming inside rear view mirror and the likes. This and the XM+ can make a difference atleast until
the BS-6 Harrier AT comes in

Come on, is this a joke? Personalised badge? “Exclusive” Scuff plates? Go home TATA, you could’ve done much better than that. Give the car a real makeover- put an AT tranny in it, change that alloy design, ditch the hideous elephant ear ORVMs.

I don't get the point of ranting here, especially on this thread.

The campaign is for existing customers, not prospective ones. It's the least they can do for existing customers who may be low on confidence looking at the Harrier's sales charts.

And BS6 Harrier is coming in February with a panoramic sunroof and 170 BHP engine & autobox. Just a month away, hold the horses with the bashing.

Well said TROOPER. I'd have appreciated this treatment as a customer if my car manufacturer had done this. Pretty sure this could move customers on the likert scale and more importantly, if Tata is listening, get feedback they can plonk back into the BS6 Harrier or upcoming variants.

That is a very good way to treat your existing customers. Hopefully Gravitas and Harrier AT become successful and clock ~ 4000 monthly sales.

Harrier had the most important thing which SUV customers in India crave for, looks!. They could have taken 1 month extra to fix the minor issues before the initial launch. I think it was due to push from marketing team to launch earlier resulted in this.

Completely agree with TROOPER here. This campaign is for existing Harrier owners. Not that they are a bunch of unhappy owners but still whatever Tata is doing is only going to instill more confidence in them as far as ownership experience goes. So please don't take the discussion off topic by bashing Tata for not improving their product and rectifying the initial flaws.

Because Tata has certainly worked on ironing out the issues related with NVH and infotainment system since a few months now. And as far as other rants against the Harrier are concerned then be assured that the BS6 Harrier is indeed coming with following upgrades

1. Panoramic sunroof.

2. 170 bhp BS6 engine for both the transmissions.

3. 6 speed automatic gearbox.

4. A new red colour.

5. Different and better looking alloy wheels.

6. Smaller ORVMs.

Just wait till the media drives immediately post the auto expo and then bash them if still not satisfied.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vishy76 (Post 4725862)
They are celebrating the first anniversary! They should instead be ashamed that such a product isn't doing as well as it should because of their incompetence and casual attitude at launch.

We were super excited when TATA had done a similar thing for the Hexa just 6 months after launch across all major cities. Most of my friends were envious and even said it's a good gesture especially in a market where there are manufacturers who prioritize on numbers, sell you the car and forget.

But here, a manufacturer has to be ashamed when its trying to do something for its existing customers?
This is a forum with incredible reach so i suggest you to do a double check before typing such statements!

Just goes on to show no matter what they do, even if its something good, there are bound to be irrational haters who are best ignored by them!

Quote:

Originally Posted by abhi7013 (Post 4725994)
We were super excited when TATA had done a similar thing for the Hexa just 6 months after launch across all major cities. Most of my friends were envious and even said it's a good gesture especially in a market where there are manufacturers who prioritize on numbers, sell you the car and forget.

But here, a manufacturer has to be ashamed when its trying to do something for its existing customers?
This is a forum with incredible reach so i suggest you to do a double check before typing such statements!

Just goes on to show no matter what they do, even if its something good, there are bound to be irrational haters who are best ignored by them!

I am a TATA well wisher. Read the rest of my posts on the Hexa thread before branding me as a hater simply on the basis of this one. I have also mentioned that I appreciate what they have done so far but by the time this car gets an AT and all features it might be too little too late. Am I not allowed to atleast voice this opinion of mine?

I will bash any manufacturer irrespective of who it is if they aren't doing justice to a product. The Harrier is just the second one which has had to face issues due to TATA's incompetent attitude and lackluster marketing. If a deserving product doesn't get the sales it needs, I don't see why I am wrong in bashing the company. I was the first one to praise the Hexa on your ownership thread (apart from doing so on the official thread) and have recommended it to multiple folks.

Please don't get into this habit of branding everyone who speaks against them a TATA basher.

Nice move!! Will go well with prospective buyers as well!
Tata is doing few things right - matter of time before some of these products become blockbusters in terms of sales!

Quote:

Originally Posted by vishy76 (Post 4726022)
Please don't get into this habit of branding everyone who speaks against them a TATA basher.

As for me, I am happy for the Harrier customers that Tata is going out of their way to make their customer feel special. Must be a good feeling that your manufacturer is not taking you for granted even though that's the typical attitude these days in our country regardless of the manufacturer.