BHPian

Re: Tata Harrier : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by rovingeye View Post
+1000
As much as you would like to up the ante, your disapproval is only worth +1
Quote:
I feel Tata has taken the early adopters of the Harrier for granted. Now the market forces will set things right for Tata.
It will be naive to think Tata don't care about their customers. Think about it, why would they do something like that? What we have been seeing in the recent past is certainly pointing the other way.

The more reasonable way to think of this is:
  • A calculated risk on their part after weighing the benefits of early entry vs perfected product. (or)
  • A misjudgement on their part in planning/executing.
It is wrong to think as though they are deliberately doing it. And lastly, there is no market force here to speak of. The Market has next to nothing for customers who have 20L and want a big and stylish SUV. The expensive and yet small Compass (which is already finding it difficult to stay relevant) or the outdated XUV or the unknown Hector won't cut it for most.
prakash_ajp is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 15th May 2019, 13:26   #62
BHPian

Well, a really amazing and in-depth review. Thanks a ton, Team-BHP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prakash_ajp View Post
So, a good car will just serve the purpose for the time being, as long as Tata can take good care of the early adopters.

The only real concern I see is the steering behavior. Is this something that can be fixed on the existing cars in future?
Well, I am an early adopter and also received a personalised plaque from Tata Motors stating that I am the 957th customer of Harrier . So far, in about 2 months, I have done over 7,000 kms and do not have any major grouses. I did a trip from Hyderabad to Coorg and back and the vehicle was a delight to drive both on highways and the hilly terrain to Coorg. The vehicle seemed pretty stable on the highway as long as I had my hands on the wheel (though I should admit that I did not go beyond 120 kmph on the whole drive). The light steering that has been highlighted is probably the reason my vehicle drifts to the left, at speeds over 80 kmph, and this has been highlighted to the ASS a couple of times. They haven't been able to rectify it and I do not expect them to since it seems to be a design/product fault.

I have written to Tata Motors customer care and while they have responded to my e-mail, I haven't yet received a call from their Technical people to resolve this issue. Hopefully, with the Team-BHP review coming up a couple of days ago, they will look at my request more closely and get it resolved soon.
madhukriss is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 15th May 2019, 13:58   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhukriss View Post
Well, a really amazing and in-depth review. Thanks a ton, Team-BHP.

The light steering that has been highlighted is probably the reason my vehicle drifts to the left, at speeds over 80 kmph, and this has been highlighted to the ASS a couple of times. They haven't been able to rectify it and I do not expect them to since it seems to be a design/product fault.

Light steering may not be the reason for your vehicle drifting left. That is certainly an alignment issue . I have read somewhere that most new vehicles will drift slightly to left if hands are not on steering. This is supposed to be a safety feature so that the vehicle does not go towards oncoming traffic if the driver sleeps or is not attentive. My source may be wrong , but I think the drift is a separate problem other than the light steering.

Light steering may be a subjective issue . Some may find it too light , some may term it as easier to drive.

Last edited by padmrajravi : 15th May 2019 at 14:23. Reason: Extra spaces
padmrajravi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th May 2019, 14:25   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by padmrajravi View Post
Light steering may not be the reason for your vehicle drifting left. That is certainly an alignment issue . I have read somewhere that most new vehicles will drift slightly to left if hands are not on steering. This is supposed to be a safety feature so that the vehicle does not go towards oncoming traffic if the driver sleeps or is not attentive. My source may be wrong , but I think the drift is a separate problem other than the light steering.

Light steering may be subjective issue . Some may find it too light , some may term it as easier to drive.
While prima facie it looks like the alignment issue, but these issues are easily resolved by visiting ASS. However in this scenarios TASS is unable to rectify the issue.

New vehicle drifting to left can not be termed as a safety feature by any stretches of imagination
beast_within is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 15th May 2019, 14:34   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by beast_within View Post
New vehicle drifting to left can not be termed as a safety feature by any stretches of imagination

Agreed. Even I think it cannot be a safety feature. I was told this by an SA when I went with a friend who owns XUV500. We managed to solve it outside the ASS eventually.
padmrajravi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th May 2019, 14:39   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post

Harrier-badged chrome insert here is the only part of the design we don't like. This chrome panel looks very after-market'ish. Rear quarter glass area is too small to make any difference:
Much awaited review. Thanks a lot Aditya.
Great review as always.
Yes. I completely agree with your comment. Not only it looks after marketish, it also appears as a different shade compared to the body colour.
Hope Tata takes care of it in the next versions.

Last edited by GTO : 15th May 2019 at 17:20. Reason: Making quoted image smaller :)
coolmind is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th May 2019, 16:39   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Light steering may not be the reason for your vehicle drifting left. That is certainly an alignment issue .
Quote:
Originally Posted by beast_within View Post
While prima facie it looks like the alignment issue, but these issues are easily resolved by visiting ASS. However in this scenarios TASS is unable to rectify the issue.
I have checked the alignment 4 times - three times at the ASS and once outside. There seems to be no issues with the alignment now but the drift is still there. Which is the reason I have written to Tata Motors customer care.

On the same subject, did anyone in the reviewing team face this issue at all ? Also, a call out to all Harrier owners. Have any of you faced this specific issue of a left drift when driving at speeds over 80 kmph ? You definitely should try this only on an open road without traffic but it would be great for me to understand if this issue is a specific one restricted to my car or is a general design/product fault.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolmind View Post
Not only it looks after marketish, it also appears as a different shade compared to the body colour.
Hi, the chrome strip is the same across all colour variants of the Harrier. I think you might have gotten confused as the TD car was a Silver coloured one.

Last edited by aah78 : 15th May 2019 at 17:14. Reason: Posts merged. Please use QUOTE+ when responding to multiple posts. Thanks!
madhukriss is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 15th May 2019, 16:40   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Yes. I completely agree with your comment. Not only it looks after marketish, it also appears as a different shade compared to the body colour.
Hangover from Nexon wherein 5 colours combined at a junction..3 is an improvement
aniyo is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 15th May 2019, 17:03   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Much awaited review. Thanks a lot Aditya.
Great review as always.

FYI. The 'Harrier' badging is actually finished in chrome, hence it looks different to the Silver color of the car.

This is not some production inconsistency as you seem to suggest.

Last edited by Car Architect : 15th May 2019 at 17:07.
Car Architect is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th May 2019, 17:18   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
Bigger boot with the parcel tray removed. Weirdly, the Harrier display cars had luggage tie-down hooks, but our test cars didn't (check out this image shared by BHPian Surjaonwheelz). We've never seen these kinds of inconsistencies with a new car:
Thanks for my first mention in a Team BHP Official Review

The delay in the official review left the Harrier under the lens of bhp-ians in this thread (Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs)
We left no cracks and crevices unseen. Kudos to us

Kudos to the mods for the ever more detailed review. Team bhp reviews are on the top of all educated buyer's list before making a buying decision of any vehicle. Cheers to that!

My 2 cents: (my thoughts, no facts & figures to support it)

1. Time to market - Tata hurried the launch to keep the design language new and first to market. With the likes of Venue and Hector dropping the lights to the front bumper, Tata didn't want to waste time!

2. BS-IV norms to breathe - Tata wanted to make this engine breathe more air till the BS-VI regulations are enforced. This would give them more time to work on the basics and keep future variants launching at regular intervals. Variants in pipeline/prospects:
- AT: Hyundai sourced autobox
- Harrier Attack - A more powerful tune of the 2.0 engine (a bhpian's wish!)
- Harrier Claw - All wheel Drive (all bhpian's wish!)
- Buzzard (Tata please change the name) - 7 seater Harrier
- BS-VI models - Upgrade the above models to meet BS-VI regulations

Waiting for the version 2 or 3 will definitely cost you more!

Drive safe,
surjaonwheelz
surjaonwheelz is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 15th May 2019, 18:58   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by surjaonwheelz View Post
- BS-VI models - Upgrade the above models to meet BS-VI regulations
I don't think an upgrade of the engine would be necessary. It's already BS-VI ready.

Quote:
And the BSVI-compliant engine on the upcoming SUV will also be paired with an eVGT (electronically controlled variable geometry turbocharger) to eliminate any traces of turbo lag.
Old 15th May 2019, 21:33   #72
BHPian

Sorry to bring this up but in post#11 of the review-the second and the third photo-is the orange harrier parked near the khandala tunnel on the expressway? If I am not wrong the entire expressway (especially the areas which have been covered with the metallic nets, being landslide prone) is a no parking, no stopping area. Apologies once again I'm wrong.

Last edited by handsofsteel : 15th May 2019 at 21:35.
handsofsteel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th May 2019, 22:59   #73
OSH
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by handsofsteel View Post
In post#11 of the review-the second and the third photo-is the orange harrier parked near the khandala tunnel on the expressway?
The place where those pics were taken is not the expressway. AFAIK, that locality is inside Lonavala; it is the one-way road that leads to the expressway.
OSH is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th May 2019, 23:00   #74
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prakash_ajp View Post
I think Tata really wanted to get the Harrier out there before products like Hector hit the shelves.
Harrier has already made Hector look old and with it's internet car marketing theme, feels wierd. It seems to have a nice touch screen, so a tablet screen with 4 wheels is on offer. No bother for Harrier.

Compass should be worried too, some would rather deal with Tata who has a lot to lose in Indian market than Jeep.

Quote:
In their good offerings, if there is AWD, there is no AT; if there is AT, there is no ESP/TC; if there is a white shade, there isn't a black one; and if there's a dual tone, there is no single tone on offer.
With its doors extending over the running boards, I don't think it would be an affordable exercise to take this one off-road, even with an AWD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
The fit and finish surely looks atrocious. I spotted a couple of panels already starting to show some surface rust. Under normal usage, these points would rust in no time.

Look at the drain points below the doors:

Attachment 1876102
Is this because the Demo vehicle being water-washed every day?

Quote:
Very true. They are struggling to create a complete car. You always have to compromise on some feature set . This is where Mahindra trumps them.
Mahindra has to just get the person to the showroom, that's it. With Harrier around it is making prospective customers questioning their need for two additional seats and Instead settle for a huge boot, a bit like Duster.
Old 15th May 2019, 23:09   #75
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by handsofsteel View Post
Sorry to bring this up but in post#11 of the review-the second and the third photo-is the orange harrier parked near the khandala tunnel on the expressway? If I am not wrong the entire expressway (especially the areas which have been covered with the metallic nets, being landslide prone) is a no parking, no stopping area. Apologies once again I'm wrong.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OSH View Post
The place where those pics were taken is not the expressway. AFAIK, that locality is inside Lonavala; it is the one-way road that leads to the expressway.
As mentioned this was not on the expressway at all. It was just before entering the expressway from Lonavala. Here are additional pics:

Tata Harrier : Official Review-img_20190421_104619.jpg

Tata Harrier : Official Review-img_20190421_104336.jpg

Tata Harrier : Official Review-img_20190421_104312.jpg
Vid6639 is offline   (20) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks