Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th May 2019, 23:24   #76
Team-BHP Support

Re: Tata Harrier : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
It seems to have a nice touch screen, so a tablet screen with 4 wheels is on offer. No bother for Harrier.
Just a touchscreen? Hector has the following over Harrier -

1. Longer, taller and has a larger wheelbase. Photos suggest more space.
2. Higher spec tuned diesel engine. 32ps more from the same engine.
3. Petrol, petrol automatic (DCT) & petrol hybrid engine options.
4. Rear disc brakes.

And that's only talking about mechanical stuff, in addition to the major feel-good stuff like -

5. Dual Pane Panoramic Sunroof
6. Infinity Audio which should better the JBL system, going by the brand positioning at Harman.
7. Front parking sensors
8. Power adjustable seats. (6 way for Driver + 4 way for passenger).
9. Powered Tail gate
10. Electric Parking Brakes.
11. Tyre Pressure Monitoring System
12. Rear seat recline.

ETC. Even discounting the HU and connectivity features of the Hector, it still pulls WAY ahead of the Harrier in terms of specification and features. Of course, quality is anybody's guess for now - but credit where it's due to Hector on getting the specs right!.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 16th May 2019 at 00:15.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (27) Thanks
Old 15th May 2019, 23:48   #77
BHPian

Detailed review, worth reading 10/10.

I have seen one Orcus white Harrier in person, and it looks more attractive than in pictures.
Almost everyone on the road turned head to take another glimpse of the car, Great road presence for sure.

Although based on Land Rover platform with most bells and whistles of premium SUV, Tata motors Ltd did make a mistake of launching an unsorted product in hasty. Niggles in a ~15 lakh rupees car is definitely not acceptable. I feel, Tiago and Nexon were better sorted when launched, than Harrier.

The Safety rating and the (Good) Driving rating statistics on the touchscreen display are wonderful tools; if paid attention, it might help promote safe driving
gjnnbagal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th May 2019, 07:45   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car Architect View Post
FYI. The 'Harrier' badging is actually finished in chrome, hence it looks different to the Silver color of the car.

This is not some production inconsistency as you seem to suggest.
Sorry if my message was conveyed in a wrong way.
My intention is to have that 'HARRIER' badging in the same colour of body instead of chrome. Thanks.
Old 16th May 2019, 08:32   #79
BHPian

It's not the tail lamps misaligned exactly but the whole panel itself. I'd reported this to TATA right after I received the car but it ain't a straightforward fix. The service center was unable to fix it.
soji is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 16th May 2019, 09:52   #80
Team-BHP Support

TATA Motors is not taking the competition from MG Hector lightly. Staff is being equipped to deal with the customer queries on comparisons with Hector over Harrier. Full material posted here.

To avoid repetition, posting only the summary of advantages and the sales pitch (from TATA) as relevant to the Harrier here -

Tata Harrier : Official Review-screenshot_20190515181955.png

Tata Harrier : Official Review-screenshot_20190515182003.png

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 16th May 2019 at 09:54.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 16th May 2019, 10:03   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Attachment 1876610[/center]
Sounds amateurish and poorly written, atleast to me.

#4 is highly debatable, with TATA's after sales being a hit or miss.

Just repeating #AboveAll doesn't really make it above all.
Old 16th May 2019, 10:18   #82
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
TATA Motors is not taking the competition from MG Hector lightly. Staff is being equipped to deal with the customer queries on comparisons with Hector over Harrier.
Aeeh? What I understood is, Tata Motors has asked its dealer staff to mention to prospective customers, that essentially they are buying a Land Rover with a Tata badge. And that's why they should buy it! A sarcastic .

And they guarantee Customer First policy? What do you even mean by that? Oh.. wait.. wasn't it supposed to be niggles first policy, guaranteed?
OrangeCar is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th May 2019, 10:35   #83
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parth46 View Post
Sounds amateurish and poorly written, atleast to me.

Just repeating #AboveAll doesn't really make it above all.
True, but they don't have anything else to say. On paper, Hector looks to be a much better product than the Harrier in terms of dimensions, drive train, and features. If I were at Tata's place, i would be really worried.

One immediate and tried & tested step that Tata can take is by achieving 5-stars in GNCAP and marketing it. This has worked for Tata in the past with the Nexon.

Not to mention, before this safety card, step zero is better QC and a niggle free product.
tarik.arora is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th May 2019, 11:37   #84
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhukriss View Post
I have checked the alignment 4 times - three times at the ASS and once outside. There seems to be no issues with the alignment now but the drift is still there. Which is the reason I have written to Tata Motors customer care.
Try to rotate the wheels front at rear and vice versa and see if issues remain.

Last edited by navin : 16th May 2019 at 13:09. Reason: entire post quoted.
Deepu Sharma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th May 2019, 11:54   #85
BHPian

Excellent review as usual - it also confirms my views on Tata - while they have improved leaps & bounds since the Indica days (the worst car I have ever had to drive) they are nowhere near 'world class' quality standards.

I will now patiently wait for the Hector review before deciding what to replace my Duster with.
Old 16th May 2019, 12:03   #86
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
TATA Motors is not taking the competition from MG Hector lightly. Staff is being equipped to deal with the customer queries on comparisons with Hector over Harrier. Full material posted here.

To avoid repetition, posting only the summary of advantages and the sales pitch (from TATA) as relevant to the Harrier here -
A typical sales pitch. Atleast they say what their product has contrary to what most sales and marketing teams do in IT firms!

Anyways, Hector with all those features would be costlier by at least 2L variant to variant wrt Harrier is what i feel. However, i guess that's a small gap which buyers in this segment can easily cover.
Old 16th May 2019, 12:24   #87
BHPian

Once again thanks for the very detailed review! I have been waiting for the team BHP review of the Harrier.

I don't think most of the things which are missing or needs to be refined will make a lot of difference to a typical Indian car buyer. I am sure there are a lot of people (of course outside this forum) who doesn't have any clue on a lot of details about their cars (ask a simple question of how many BHPs someone's car makes & chances are high that more than 50% of them will not have an answer) & they would have bought their cars because you see a lot of them on road, has good looks & someone in their family/friends circle has bought the same model & is happy or just for the simple reason that it is better from their previous ride.

Even though a lot of people who do detailed research on cars would wait before getting a new Harrier right now, I am sure there will be a lot of people who will still go for the Harrier now, if TATA is able to make good sales in the next 3-4 months. Because this one definitely has an amazing road presence & TATA has been successful in creating a lot of buzz about this car in the last few months.

I really hope Harrier is a success for TATA. They should be rewarded in some form or fashion for the bold moves they have been making in the recent past in the Indian market. The JTP twins, TATA just won my heart there

Last edited by DheerajNK : 16th May 2019 at 12:28.
DheerajNK is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th May 2019, 13:25   #88
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DheerajNK View Post
Even though a lot of people who do detailed research on cars would wait before getting a new Harrier right now, I am sure there will be a lot of people who will still go for the Harrier now, if TATA is able to make good sales in the next 3-4 months.

Because this one definitely has an amazing road presence & TATA has been successful in creating a lot of buzz about this car in the last few months
Oh Yes, Lot of Road Presence. It currently is turning more heads on the road than the Luxury Brands. Except maybe a big blunder from Tata, I see no reason why the Harrier won't sell well.

Just 2 years back Tata being Desirable was something unthinkable. Very soon, the "Buzzard", Altrox and the "H2X" will just add to Tata's success story.

Last edited by payeng : 16th May 2019 at 13:26.
payeng is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th May 2019, 13:59   #89
BHPian

As I have come to expect the review was excellent. As I had said before I say again that:-
  • The customer expectation at this price point is different and ideally the Harrier should have launched a smidgen lower
  • A lot of people have expressed their disappointments in reference to the 20 big ones
  • The comparison to the XUV, Creta and the Compass especially would have been more even at a more VFM price point

The niggles of course seem to be in stark contrast to having a 90% automated assembly line as machines usually make the same repeated mistake rather than different mistakes with each unit of the product. These should not have been there.

The feature omissions like AT, sunroof etc are what really makes this price stick out. I also think that without a 4WD the potential of the LR pedigree structural elements does not live upto its potential. Having a 4WD as an option would have done wonders if not in absolute sales term to the 4WD variant but to its image as a capable off roader and differentiate it from the other soft roaders in its appeal as a platform.
nainan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th May 2019, 15:28   #90
BHPian

As expected, a very very detailed review covering each and every aspect.

No stones have been left unturned & a very unbiased review. All the goodies have been appreciated & the shortcomings have rightly drawn flack from the review team.

My sister is anyway zeroing on Harrier. Buy time is around October - Hope couple of issues highlighted would be addressed by then.

Cheers!
catchdoon is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks