Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th February 2020, 02:20   #901
BHPian

Re: Tata Harrier : Official Review

In older Harrier manual, its written: Ground Clearance = 176 mm(laden)
In newer one, its written: Minimum Ground Clearance = 153 mm(laden)

It means Ground clearance(unladen) also down by about 23mm, say around 182 mm from previous 205 mm. If yes, I'm really disappointed.
Is lowering of GC due to addition of DEF tank of 15 litres or some other reason too?
Or
Has the mechanism to calculate ground clearance changed now and actually there is no change ?

Last edited by SahilS : 8th February 2020 at 02:30.
SahilS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2020, 09:08   #902
BHPian

Strange that connected car feature is not available on the Harrier even though it's available on Nexon.
Old 8th February 2020, 09:20   #903

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihrishi View Post
Thanks - but there needs to be some more clarity from Tata on this. The reason being; one of the reports said Kia has mentioned no detrimental effect on the BS6 engine running BS4 diesel. While Hyundai (and Tata as said in the above thread) has mentioned that running BS6 engine on BS4 diesel will impact the vehicles.
Hence the confusion.

Excerpts from owner’s manual for BSVI Harrier from official site as well as from IS1460-2017 from MRPL site (QC lab) is attached for your reference. Please check the sulphur content limit.

Hope it will alleviate your doubts.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Harrier : Official Review-bs6-manual.jpg  

Tata Harrier : Official Review-is1460-2017-part1.jpg  

Tata Harrier : Official Review-1460-2017-part-2.jpg  

A_KP is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th February 2020, 09:20   #904
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by SahilS View Post
Is lowering of GC due to addition of DEF tank of 15 litres or some other reason too?
Or
Has the mechanism to calculate ground clearance changed now and actually there is no change ?
It is due to the DEF tank + SCR and exhaust changes.

However this will not impact real world ground clearance as all this is below the rear wheels and behind it.

These points are not what touch easily on bad roads. It's usually the front lip or the middle of the underbody.

In reality you won't have a problem with the drop in GC.
Vid6639 is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 10th February 2020, 14:09   #905
BHPian

Harrier updates from the dealer:
1. Test drive vehicles to start dispatching this weekend. Test drives expected to start only by 25th of Feb
2. Deliveries to start around end of March - around Gudi Padwa
3. While using BS4 fuel in BS6 vehicle is not recommended, they are ok with using it for 15-20 days. This - I will have to take it from them in writing, though.
4. Country wide roll out of BS6 diesel is expected to be around April 2020
ihrishi is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 10th February 2020, 14:42   #906
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihrishi View Post
Harrier updates from the dealer:
3. While using BS4 fuel in BS6 vehicle is not recommended, they are ok with using it for 15-20 days. This - I will have to take it from them in writing, though.
Thanks for the updates. I am somewhat confused with this statement. My understanding that BS6 fuel roll out will be in phased manner and not in one single phase. So we may still not have BS6 fuel at all locations in April itself. Also, what will happen if the roll out is delayed due to whatever reason?

So what does this mean for Harrier?

Last edited by varman742 : 10th February 2020 at 14:44. Reason: Added clarification for roll out
varman742 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th February 2020, 08:24   #907
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo_delight View Post
Now if the price including automatics is around 25, then, will it sell or let's say will people buy ? Why will someone not buy Innova in place of Harrier with a better social perception?
Better build quality, crysta is a fantastic car but it's not the first thing that comes to mind when i i think of build quality.

More features - pano sunroof, i would say "better 6 speed auto" since the crystas TC is not the gold standard, but it's not released yet so reserving my statement till i get to drive it, much better touchscreen with carplay and android auto, way better sound system (honestly i didn't expect such an average sound system for a 2+ million rupee car like crysta ), better quality interiors ( now this is subjective, i find the harrier interior better ), better looks ( honestly it's a no contest ).

Crysta is a strong proposition for people who want a fuss free car that'll take them to point a to b quickly and in comfort and will probably run the same after 50,000 kms and yes, toyota after sales is better than Tata's.

Last edited by SaiSW : 11th February 2020 at 08:26.
SaiSW is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th February 2020, 09:17   #908
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaiSW View Post
better looks ( honestly it's a no contest ).
Or in other words, social perception . It is the looks which sell all the FWD SUVs.

If you check offroad ability, Crysta with its 190 mm ground clearance and rear-wheel drive nature will probably fare better than all the so-called SUVs - Seltos, Hector, Creta, Harrier, Gravitas.

On a different note, I am kind of sad at the ground clearance specification of BS6 Harrier. My Xcent is rated at 165 mm ground clearance ( unladen I think, but with stiffer suspension, it may not sag that much). So my compact sedan has a lower probability of getting hits in the underbody when compared to the supposed landrover based SUV? I know the angles matter and the lowest point is probably under the rear wheel, but it spoils my mood about Harrier. That said, all the competitors have ground clearance in the same range only.

Tata is learning well. They have understood panoramic sunroof matters more to Indian consumers in an SUV than ground clearance and real ability.

Last edited by padmrajravi : 11th February 2020 at 09:24.
padmrajravi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th February 2020, 09:30   #909
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by padmrajravi View Post
On a different note, I am kind of sad at the ground clearance specification of BS6 Harrier. My Xcent is rated at 165 mm ground clearance ( unladen I think, but with stiffer suspension, it may not sag that much). So my compact sedan has a lower probability of getting hits in the underbody when compared to the supposed landrover based SUV? I know the angles matter and the lowest point is probably under the rear wheel, but it spoils my mood about Harrier. That said, all the competitors have ground clearance in the same range only.

Tata is learning well. They have understood panoramic sunroof matters more to Indian consumers in an SUV than ground clearance and real ability.
The 165mm of Xcent is using the newer method or older method? I doubt the 165mm is the newer method which is laden clearance vs the unalden method used before 2017.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...en-weight.html (2017 ground clearance update - ARAI now measuring GC with laden weight)

The Xcent maybe 165mm in clearance using older method. If you apply that to Harrier the laden 153mm will actually be closer to 200mm using the older method.

You can't compare old ground clearance for unladen car to new post 2017 ground clearance to laden car.

Secondly the sedan's overhangs will always hinder the ground clearance more than anything else. Really no point in comparing.
Vid6639 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th February 2020, 09:38   #910
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
The Xcent maybe 165mm in clearance using older method. If you apply that to Harrier the laden 153mm will actually be closer to 200mm using the older method.

You can't compare old ground clearance for unladen car to new post 2017 ground clearance to laden car.
I know. As I mentioned in my post itself, Xcent's 165 mm is unladen and the angles matter. It is just the perception that is associated with a lower GC number. 153 of Harrier may be in the 170-180 range. Not in the 200 mm range for sure. 205 was its earlier unladen GC. So there is some clear reduction now as per spec.

Last edited by padmrajravi : 11th February 2020 at 09:44.
padmrajravi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th February 2020, 09:43   #911
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I know. As I mentioned in my post itself, Xcent's 165 mm is unladen and the angles matter. It is just the perception that is associated with a lower GC number.
The perception needs to change

My Corolla unladen ground clearance is 35mm more than the Kodiaq (laden) I have.

The Corolla beaches many speed breakers with 2-3 on board.

The Kodiaq is 140mm laden and Corolla is 175mm unladen. Kodiaq unladen is 188mm.

Quote:
153 of Harrier may be in the 170-180 range. Not in the 200 mm range for sure. 205 was its earlier GC. So there is some clear reduction now as per spec.
Again this is due to the BS6 hardware underneath that is applicable to all cars. Even the Jeep compass had a drop in GC with BS6. Most of the BS6 hardware is behind the rear wheel or near the axle. Unless you plan to do rock crawling, you will never touch any of this.

It is all pure academic unless you are planning off roading, rock crawling. In which case you shouldn't even be looking at Harrier and better off with Fortuner and Thar.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 11th February 2020 at 09:46.
Vid6639 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th February 2020, 09:54   #912
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It is all pure academic unless you are planning off roading, rock crawling. In which case you shouldn't even be looking at Harrier and better off with Fortuner and Thar.

That is exactly my point. All these SUVs are posers. So the perception of lower GC matters because that is the only differentiator for these hatchbacks acting as SUVs. Sorry for going off-topic. I completely understand your point about the angles of a sedan.

Last edited by padmrajravi : 11th February 2020 at 09:56.
padmrajravi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th February 2020, 10:08   #913
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
That is exactly my point. All these SUVs are posers. So the perception of lower GC matters because that is the only differentiator for these hatchbacks acting as SUVs. Sorry for going off-topic. I completely understand your point about the angles of a sedan.
I think we are going around in circles

The perception doesn't really matter cause end of the day it's different body styles and they are not really hatchbacks (or sedans) posing as SUV's. This is the wrong perception (misconception) which many are stuck up on especially who cannot accept this new trend.

There is always the Fortuner, Hexa, Thar and Gurkha if you want the original SUV with ladder on frame and 4x4.

Personally, I prefer these as they offer best of both worlds. Driving feel of a car and can handle bad roads, beaten trails, climb up/down kerbs and explore roads where I would have to take a U-turn in my sedan. All of these which my sedan cannot do easily.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 11th February 2020 at 10:28.
Vid6639 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 11th February 2020, 13:59   #914
BHPian

Quote:
2019 Harrier had unladen GC of 205mm as advertised everywhere and as per user manual, 175mm of laden GC.
However, 2020 BS6 harrier, as per user manual is having 153 mm GC i.e a decrease of 22 mm over 2019 BS4 harrier(due to addition of 15L DEF tank, SCR etc).
So that should translate to 23mm reduction in unladen(older method) GC too, so it should be around 205-22 = 183 mm(approx) and not 200 mm for sure.

Last edited by SDP : 12th February 2020 at 07:23. Reason: Typo
SahilS is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th February 2020, 17:28   #915
BHPian

So far the biggest let down is lack of a 4x4 option. I'm not sure how long I can wait to change my car, but I need to do an extended test drive of one of these before deciding. The lack of 4x4 may be a deal breaker though.
imp! is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks