Team-BHP - Tata Harrier : Official Review
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Official New Car Reviews (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/)
-   -   Tata Harrier : Official Review (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/209281-tata-harrier-official-review-66.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zezé (Post 4811817)
We are seriously considering the XMA variant. Most of the specs offered with with the higher trims, viz. XZA+ and XZA but not available in this trim, I can do without. Like the sunroof, alloy wheels, etc

Yes, the XMA is a pretty good package overall IMO too. Will you be fine with a touch-screen that does not support Android Auto/Apple Car Play? That would mean you have to mount a small phone somewhere in front of you while driving when you need navigation while driving. Do give it a thought before you write a cheque if you have not thought about it yet. I have become fond of this & even replaced the head unit in my hatchback couple of years ago with a Sony AX5000 for android auto. I can't imagine driving around and going on road trips without a media-nav system in my car now. Mounting a mobile just seems too odd in a car above a million rupees. And in modern cars like the Harrier - its not too easy to replace the head-unit with an aftermarket one since its too tightly coupled with BCM and even body control functions via the HU software.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zezé (Post 4811817)
The one feature that isn't offered, but which I would like to have is the Reverse Parking Camera.
Would the Company or dealer install the Reverse Parking Camera at the time of purchase or will I have to do so in the after market?
Reason for asking is the issue of the warranty being negated in case the installation is done in the after market.

I have made a truck load of changes in both my Tata cars so far. Both exclusively serviced only at TASC (3 different centers of Pandit, Concorde & Bafna) over last decade. A lot of my family/friends have similar stories. Not once has a TASC raised any concern about modifications during warranty claims of any magnitude of cost. So no - there is pretty much no risk of warranty issues if you install a reverse camera from outside. Just ensure you keep a nice working relationship with your SA and maintain goodwill.

If you can get one installed at dealership that can integrate with the head unit - nothing like it. But I have almost 0 hopes about that. If they mount a display for the camera on the dashboard - do be very specific about your requirements and just don't go ahead and accept the unit & place where they mount it. There is no way to properly move it around afterwards once installed (without making it messy).

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reinhard (Post 4811826)
Yes, the XMA is a pretty good package overall IMO too. Will you be fine with a touch-screen that does not support Android Auto/Apple Car Play? That would mean you have to mount a small phone somewhere in front of you while driving when you need navigation while driving. Do give it a thought before you write a cheque if you have not thought about it yet. I have become fond of this & even replaced the head unit in my hatchback couple of years ago with a Sony AX5000 for android auto. I can't imagine driving around and going on road trips without a media-nav system in my car now. Mounting a mobile just seems too odd in a car above a million rupees. And in modern cars like the Harrier - its not too easy to replace the head-unit with an aftermarket one since its too tightly coupled with BCM and even body control functions via the HU software.

Honestly, I hadn't thought about it. Yes, it would really look odd mounting a mobile for navigation in a car that costs nearly INR 20 lacs.

Actually, we're keen on an automatic transmission vehicle, even though we plan to use it mainly for out station travel, where we will not have to change gears as often as driving within the city.

But paying an extra 15% to upgrade to XZA for two features, i.e. connectivity and reverse parking camera is quite a stretch. At least of me, since it translates into INR 3 lacs.:Frustrati

Maybe, I should just work on my shoulder and opt for the XT that sells at the same price as the XMA.:D

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zezé (Post 4811951)
Honestly, I hadn't thought about it. Yes, it would really look odd mounting a mobile for navigation in a car that costs nearly INR 20 lacs.
Actually, we're keen on an automatic transmission vehicle, even though we plan to use it mainly for out station travel, where we will not have to change gears as often as driving within the city.
But paying an extra 15% to upgrade to XZA for two features, i.e. connectivity and reverse parking camera is quite a stretch. At least of me, since it translates into INR 3 lacs.
Maybe, I should just work on my shoulder and opt for the XT that sells at the same price as the XMA.

Meh...Go for the XMA I guess. The automatic is really good. Honestly - they have messed up the trims and feature loading in the Harrier if you ask me. They should have had 1 trim less. XE-XM-XT should have been it. Adding a 4th (and then option to it) have just made the task harder for feature allocation team & they have tried, but didn't have much to work with!

When buying the Nexon, I had thought of the Harrier XM in 2019 seriously. Family was all for Harrier instead of Nexon. But I just wasn't able to digest the difference of features in Nexon XZ+ and a Harrier XM, that had a good 7 lakhs of price differential. It looked like it was just for the size and amount of steel. Just didn't find I was getting that much more in the car for the money spent. It is now 10 months since I got the Nexon. Family still hates me for not buying the Harrier. :D I ignore it since I know that with the large list of mods that I did that beefed up my Nexon quite a bit and I know how much I saved for diesel.

Quote:

I'm positive that there'll be some provision to add the reverse camera on the inside rear view mirror.

Quote:

But paying an extra 15% to upgrade to XZA for two features, i.e. connectivity and reverse parking camera is quite a stretch. At least of me, since it translates into INR 3 lacs.:Frustrati

Maybe, I should just work on my shoulder and opt for the XT that sells at the same price as the XMA.:D

IMHO, if you can somehow stretch for those additional 3 lakhs, the XZA is the best VFM for the Harrier.

A car like the harrier is a keeper, and over time, things like Auto Climate Control, leather covered dash, leather seats, High end audio, the terrain response system from JLR, will only add to the joy of ownership. it will be money well spent and honestly, the feel of the interiors of the XZA is a world apart from the XM. Heck, even the instrument cluster is different. Also, very important is the fact that the XMA only comes with two airbags as opposed to six for the XZA. All this is worth the additional 3L I feel

At the end of the day it boils down to finances, but I would strongly urge you to relook at the XZA.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reinhard (Post 4811962)
Meh...Go for the XMA I guess. The automatic is really good. Honestly - they have messed up the trims and feature loading in the Harrier if you ask me. They should have had 1 trim less. XE-XM-XT should have been it. Adding a 4th (and then option to it) have just made the task harder for feature allocation team & they have tried, but didn't have much to work with!

I agree with you regarding the number of trims. Companies should, as a rule, stick to a bare minimum number and allow some add on features, at a price.

Quote:

Originally Posted by evoker (Post 4811964)
I'm positive that there'll be some provision to add the reverse camera on the inside rear view mirror.

Will check that out in the after market.

Quote:

Originally Posted by himanshugoswami (Post 4812011)
IMHO, if you can somehow stretch for those additional 3 lakhs, the XZA is the best VFM for the Harrier.......

......At the end of the day it boils down to finances, but I would strongly urge you to relook at the XZA.

At the end of the day it's a matter of perspective. Do I spend INR 3 lacs for two features that are essential or do I sped that amount for plush luxury. Head versus heart.:confused:

Quote:

Originally Posted by turbo (Post 4797203)
I don't think Scorpio is a fair comparison to the Harrier. The XUV 500, though, is, IMO.

And according to the signature, you own both, how does the Harrier stack up to the XUV?

Both XUV & Harrier are reliable products.

XUV500 scores in terms of inside space and storage (my GSD loves the 3rd row)
The Harrier is more futuristic in terms of technology & looks, uses the Omega D8 Chasis from RR, better suspensions, drivability, safety features. The dark edition is a head turner. Also has better infotainment with JBL system, apple carplay, various driving mode etc.

My 2012 Scorpio was a different league altogether and i enjoyed every bit of the truck feeling. I had to sell it off though.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zezé (Post 4812035)
Do I spend INR 3 lacs for two features that are essential or do I sped that amount for plush luxury.

You are not spending on luxury but on safety. XZA has more airbags, so there has to be absolutely no discussion on that front.

I was in the same dilemma when I bought my Hexa. But majority of our members recommended me to go for the safest variant of the vehicle which I did at the end.

My recommendation would be to go for an automatic within your budget with top safety features in any brand.

For people who want a wireless apple car play experience

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/car-e...ml#post4818635

what variant did you end up selecting? What color?

If you forget to take your keys out from your Harrier and it locks itself, getting them back can be a real pain.

Like this owner found out, the hard way. Old video - not sure if many have seen it so posting.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=...&v=Nmo-xXUlmvs

Which all variants of the Harrier have the panoramic sunroof?

Hows the quality of sunroofs in Tata? A leaking sunroof can be a complete spoiler of ownership experience.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2000rpm (Post 4838430)
Which all variants of the Harrier have the panoramic sunroof?

XZ+ / XZA+ (The top most one only.)
Quote:

Originally Posted by 2000rpm (Post 4838430)
Hows the quality of sunroofs in Tata? A leaking sunroof can be a complete spoiler of ownership experience.

The Harrier 2020 is the first one from the brand to feature a full panoramic sunroof. The first monsoons that the car will see are just starting in most part of the country. So would be to early to even guesstimate the waterproofing of this car - just like any other car launched this year with a sunroof. Same rule would apply to all new cars of the year.

Especially now - due to more or less lockdown & restrictions in place, the cars won't be visiting pressure washing centers too often either. So reports of leaky roofs would still be rare overall.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RavenAvi (Post 4838423)
If you forget to take your keys out from your Harrier and it locks itself, getting them back can be a real pain.

This is absurd and if true then a very basic miss from Tata. My Baleno with keyless entry does not lock even if I press the button on the door when the key is inside the car. It just gives out a long beep instead of locking the car. I'm fairly sure the behavior is similar on other cars with keyless entry.

Also, in the above video, why wouldn't they try opening with the other key instead of breaking the glass? It's a new car so there's almost no chance of the key being lost. :eek:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Added_flavor (Post 4838445)
This is absurd and if true then a very basic miss from Tata. My Baleno with keyless entry does not lock even if I press the button on the door when the key is inside the car. It just gives out a long beep instead of locking the car. I'm fairly sure the behavior is similar on other cars with keyless entry.

It is identical in all cars indeed like you said. Because if the request sensor works when the key is inside - the whole idea of "lock" is slashed. At a traffic light any goon can simply press it, open the door and take away things from inside the car. (Not that the glass in a locked car is the biggest deterrent).

The only way by which this is possible in a Nexon (and all cars that have just a request sensor to directly unlock+release the hatch) is - if the key is left in the boot while the boot is open & rest of the car is locked - and then one slams shut the boot, which directly locks. I wonder if the same happened in the Harrier's case. So the chronological order has to be this -
  1. Car is all locked up.
  2. Person uses the request sensor on the rear hatch OR boot release from key with key in hand, opens boot. Rest of the car is still locked.
  3. He/she mistakenly leaves the key in the boot while taking / keeping stuff.
  4. Forgetting about the key - he/she just slams the hatch door shut.
  5. Et Voila! :D
Quote:

Originally Posted by Added_flavor (Post 4838445)
Also, in the above video, why wouldn't they try opening with the other key instead of breaking the glass? It's a new car so there's almost no chance of the key being lost.

+1. I guessed the person was too far away from residence and had no means to get the 2nd key delivered where the car was stranded.