Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th July 2020, 01:12   #1006
BHPian

Re: Voice of Team-BHP : Tata Harrier 2021

Must have- lots and lots of marketing, I mean hammer the brand Harrier in people's mind by making innovative and mind blowing ads.
Storm2.0 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th July 2020, 07:05   #1007
BHPian

Re: Voice of Team-BHP : Tata Harrier 2021

I'll say the car is ok, do something about the folks running the dealerships. Below are the things that I wish Tata really makes their sales team do:

1. Have a to-do list with reminders: Everytime their SA promised to get back, they never did. I had to remind them. Use a simple mobile reminder app.

2. In-depth knowledge of the product & it's competition: The kind of info their SA will throw made me laugh on their face. Things like, a torque converter is jerkier than AMT, Brezza is an unstable car on highways, No one has ever died in a Nexon incase of a crash, etc. I understand they're doing a sales pitch, but instead of talking crap about competition which has no sense whatsoever, focus on the positives of your product and present facts well.

3. Stop bad mouthing your competition dealers: This was annoyingly common. When I would tell them that I'm also getting a quote from their other dealer, they would start blabbering something negative about that dealership like, customers are fed-up with them, ours is company controlled, their service is crap, etc.

4. Maintain your test drive vehicles really well: Your test vehicle is the whole and sole of your sales pitch. Even if you had Steve Jobs talking about how fantastic the car is, but if that car is dirty, not serviced well, has some lights glowing in the console which even you don't know what it is, then it's not going to help. Car companies should realise that they don't sell shampoo where as a manufacturer I can sell it on multiple platforms and store types. You're selling a car where whatever image the customer makes is directly linked to the showroom experience and the drive experience. That's it.

5. Specific to Harrier: That's a lot of money you are asking for, treat the customers accordingly. Frankly, from a Tiago buyer to the Harrier, every prospective customer should be treated the same way. The guy who can afford a Tiago today will hopefully be able to afford a Harrier at some point in his life and at that time he should have positive memories of how he was treated back then. That's what Maruti nails right. An Alto buyer today is an XL6 buyer tomorrow.

For suggestions on the car itself, many of you have posted good points. Just that I thought an equal opportunity lies in fixing the dealership experience that will only help them sell more cars.

Last edited by Dieselritzer : 12th July 2020 at 07:07.
Dieselritzer is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 12th July 2020, 09:30   #1008
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Tata Harrier : Official Review

Saying from my experience with buddy's BS6 Harrier.

Must have

1. Better gear changes and clutch actuation. Don't know about the BS6 variant, but the BS4 felt like I was driving a BOF vehicle
2. Redesigned dashboard area around the left leg. If the seat is not set low enough, your leg will foul with the console.
3. Reclining rear seats
4. Better tuned rear suspension
5. Front parking sensors
6. Sliding front armrests.
7. An ordinary handbrake?

Good to have

1. 360° camera
2. Ventilated front seats
3. Auto dimming ORVMs as standard atleast from XT upwards.
4. Rear independent suspension
coupled with...

5. An AWD system

My buddy is annoyed with the auto gearbox, sunroof being offered an year later. Though he consoles himself, that he got the orange colour. If the AWD is launched, he will tear his hair off!!!!

If all the above are taken care of. This would be the Perfect tourer for india.

Last edited by DicKy : 12th July 2020 at 09:31.
DicKy is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 12th July 2020, 10:50   #1009
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DicKy View Post
If the AWD is launched, he will tear his hair off!!
Don't worry on this account. Your buddy's hair will remain on his head. Tata like's the play up the Land Rover heritage with but without AWD. Tata doesn't have the hunger to fight the competition like Mahindra does. They have categorically stated that there will be no AWD on the Harrier or the Gravitas.

When the next gen XUV500 is a launched with AWD, and with the slew of competition coming into the mid size SUV space, harrier will die a slow death like most Tata SUVs have.
4x4addict is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 12th July 2020, 12:03   #1010
BHPian

Ok. This may sound like a rant, but is not on the “usual suspect” reasons about Tata.

I guess Tata have strategically failed here and nothing to do with dealer/sales/marketing.

It seems like they have made Harrier for their own personal satisfaction and not to sell to the market.

Here are the blunders and why competition is selling 7-10x every month. Even 10 year XUV500 sells more.

1. The car was selling about 700-1000 units in December, 6 months after launch. They already had made a price increase in July. And they were giving discounts. In January they again increased the price. What is the logic of increasing prices and then offering discounts.

2. In Feb the car updated and the car became great but again, strategic errors in pricing and variant distribution. Again they increased the prices and prices the top variant at more than 20 lacs ex showroom. And we are back to discounts again.

3. Variant Distribution- Learn from Kia and Hyundai. Look at how many people buy the HTK, E, EX variant of Hyundai and Kia and ask yourself why the XE, XM, XMA variant does not find takers. Also look at Hyundai KIA, SX vs SXO and HTX+ and GTX+. Harrier should have only 4 trims XM, XT, XZ, XZ+. Price them 1 lac lower each. Get some wow features like sunroof in XZ (delete some features like JBL audio, LCD mid, Leather upholstery etc to balance cost and differentiation) and sell at the XZA at about 18l ex showroom. XZA plus at about 19.25 lacs. And no, the fact that it is more value than Jeep Compass does not hold any water. The compass itself is a 600 unit/month model. Tata has to decide whether they want to beat the Compass or the Creta/Seltos/XUV 500/Hector.

4. I think if the car is great and great value for customers sales attitude may not matter much. Also with my dealing with Tata Motors sales, I dont think there is an issue in the sales attitute/ process for booking and buying the car.

I think the mistakes are all made in the ivory tower, where the people just seem to satisfied that they have made a masterpiece, while the competition laughs its way to the bank.

This is from a person who waited 7-8 months for buying the Harrier automatic, but ultimately could not because of the inexplicable pricing/variant distribution.

Last edited by ajmat : 12th July 2020 at 15:15. Reason: Error
rkv_hunter is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 12th July 2020, 13:25   #1011
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkv_hunter View Post

This is from a person who waited 7-8 months for buying the Harrier automatic, but ultimately could not because of the inexplicable pricing/variant distribution.
What variant, at what price would have lured you into buying the Harrier? Often, the overall decision-making in corporate offices is broken across several functions, and each have their own targets, so can’t really blame anyone I’d say.
TokyoDrifter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2020, 14:01   #1012
Senior - BHPian

As a Harrier owner, if there is ONE thing I would've wished were OE, its UV Cut glass. the tints in the present glass are woefully inadequate for the North summers, and in a 20 lakh rupee car, UV cut glass like the one in the Baleno should be standard.

Rest all looks fine to me so far in the BS6 version.
himanshugoswami is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2020, 18:22   #1013
BHPian

IMO the Harrier has one BIG issue - The OVRMs feel grossly inadequate, especially in the BS4 avatar. I know we've all shared our views on this multiple times, but I was rudely reminded of the same today on the ORR. I almost missed a SWIFT. I hope the BS6 Harrier has better OVRMs.

Last edited by vk007 : 12th July 2020 at 18:25.
Old 12th July 2020, 19:03   #1014
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkv_hunter View Post
4. I think if the car is great and great value for customers sales attitude may not matter much. Also with my dealing with Tata Motors sales, I dont think there is an issue in the sales attitute/ process for booking and buying the car.
All Tata cars are more car per car, from Indica to Nano to Hexa, it's the same deal. It is true that a car with it's sheer value can make a potential buyer overlook the shortcomings of a dealership/brand experience, but Harrier is just one among the SUVs available in that price range, a potential customer can get ticked off pretty easily and buy something else.

With Tata you have to buy the car from the dealer , most other brands will sell you their car , this has been my experience over the many times I have visited Tata from Nano to Hexa as a potential customer or accompanying a potential customer.
Kosfactor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2020, 19:04   #1015
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vk007 View Post
IMO the Harrier has one BIG issue - The OVRMs feel grossly inadequate, especially in the BS4 avatar. I know we've all shared our views on this multiple times, but I was rudely reminded of the same today on the ORR. I almost missed a SWIFT. I hope the BS6 Harrier has better OVRMs.
The BS6 Harrier has that taken care of already. Along with several other customer-feedback painpoints. Do read the BS6 edition thread on T-BHP.
Old 12th July 2020, 20:31   #1016
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TokyoDrifter View Post
What variant, at what price would have lured you into buying the Harrier? Often, the overall decision-making in corporate offices is broken across several functions, and each have their own targets, so can’t really blame anyone I’d say.
Either an XTA variant with alloys and ACC at 16.25-16.5 lacs or an XZA with pano roof at 18-18.5 lacs Ex-showroom.
rkv_hunter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2020, 01:19   #1017
BHPian

Before sharing your list of 'MUST HAVE' and 'GOOD TO HAVE' please check the updates TATA has already done in BS6 Harrier after proactively listening to customers feedback.

Quote:
The BS6 Harrier has that taken care of already. Along with several other customer-feedback painpoints. Do read the BS6 edition thread on T-BHP.
Do you think we should post the below thread in Harrier BS6 edition thread? I believe it makes more sense there as that thread addresses latest updates on Harrier.

Quote:
The objective of this thread is to provide a clear concise list of features that Tata should implement in Harrier 2021.

As we all have seen in Harrier 2020, Tata has been very proactive in seeking and implementing customers feedback, hence, we as Team-Bhp - one of the most transparent, unbiased and constructive automotive enthusiasts’ platform – should help Tata in providing a specific concise list of buyer expected updates for Harrier 2021 edition.

How will it work?

Step 1 -> Interested members can write features that they would like to see in Harrier. Group them into two categories – ‘MUST HAVE’ and ‘GOOD TO HAVE’.

Step 2 -> Members can share their needs till August 15, 2020 post which we will conclude this thread with a final list.

Step 3 -> We can then request Team-Bhp Seniors and members well connected with Tata leadership to share this list with Tata.

Hopefully, if Tata receives this list by mid-August, the firm should be able to implement the feedback by 2021.

Rules of this thread –

1.) All default Team-BHP forum rules apply.
2.) Do not share detailed experiences, positives and rants about Harrier on this thread. We already have official review for that.
3.) Use only concise statements to justify your ‘MUST HAVE’ and ‘GOOD TO HAVE’. One-liners will be ideal.
4.) Keep in mind this is a Harrier. Do not ask for features to build a Land Rover out of it at this price.
5.) Be very wise in listing features. You cannot get best of both worlds. Tata focuses on build quality, space, D8 platform and exceptional drive at right price as USPs for Harrier. These USPs are quite different to other cars in THIS segment where competitors focus on feel good factors, gizmos or internet features.
6.) Before posting, reread your final list to realise if ‘Must Haves’ and ‘Good to Haves’ are reasonably grouped.

The overall objective is to constructively help Tata which is very proactive in listening to customers on Harrier. A concise and practical list will be a great contribution from Team-BHP to further evolve an already strong vehicle.

I am sharing my list of ‘MUST HAVE’ and ‘GOOD TO HAVE’ as the starting example.

-MUST HAVE-
1.) Factory integrated Front Parking Sensors
2.) Factory integrated TPMS.
3.) Triple headrests on rear seats.
4.) Better rear-view camera.
5.) Speed limiter (Not sure if it is already present).
6.) Sliding front hand rest.

-GOOD TO HAVE-
1.) Rear disk brakes (Though current brakes are already very good).
2.) All interior white Led lights including sunblinds and luggage compartment.
3.) Luggage compartment power socket.
4.) Puddle lamps under side mirrors.
5.) 4X4 (Though expect a heavy price premium).
Old 13th July 2020, 11:07   #1018
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by steadfast View Post
Do you think we should post the below thread in Harrier BS6 edition thread? I believe it makes more sense there as that thread addresses latest updates on Harrier.
Yes, that would be ideal, as that already covers all the changes in the BS6 edition. But I will let the mods take that call, if that is alright
Old 13th July 2020, 11:45   #1019
Distinguished - BHPian

Found this interesting article on RushLane. So it seems that the AdBlu tank has eaten up into about 20mm or so of ground clearance. Considering that would be behind the rear axle, I don't think it makes much of a difference in the real world usage conditions.

BS6 Harrier Ground Clearance lower by 26mm compared to BSIV version

Due apologies if this was already discussed & I missed it.
Old 13th July 2020, 13:04   #1020
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, that would be ideal, as that already covers all the changes in the BS6 edition. But I will let the mods take that call, if that is alright
Request MODS to please move the thread "Voice of Team Bhp - Tata Harrier 2021" to "BS6 Harrier" thread as it seems to be a more relevant extension there instead of this thread. Thank you.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks