Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th October 2020, 15:03   #1066

Re: Tata Harrier : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamkathy23 View Post
I am old school and love the manual gearbox. Besides, the only creature comfort i really need are air conditioning and good music setup. Rest everything is exaggeration.
I understand where you are coming from and the harrier is the first Automatic car I have purchased. But the automatic I feel is very good here. It's been a few weeks of me driving this car. Most of it in the city with one short 200 km drive and I did not miss the gear in any way. Automatics have come a long way I feel and you should surely give Automatic a try. The other reason I say this for Harrier is the issue with a protrusion in the design near the knee of the left leg.

Tata Harrier : Official Review-harrier-left-leg-protrusion.jpg

I am 6 feet and even with the seat pushed fully back, I found my knee keeps hitting that part during gear changes. (I test drove both the manual and automatic for a good 10 kms each). This and the smooth gear shift with power of the automatic convinced me, even more, to go with the automatic. It is a serious design flaw in the car according to me - but one that can be ignored in an automatic.

So make sure you check this before finalizing!
redevil is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 27th October 2020, 11:56   #1067
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by redevil View Post
I understand where you are coming from and the harrier is the first Automatic car I have purchased. But the automatic I feel is very good here. It's been a few weeks of me driving this car. Most of it in the city with one short 200 km drive and I did not miss the gear in any way. Automatics have come a long way I feel and you should surely give Automatic a try. The other reason I say this for Harrier is the issue with a protrusion in the design near the knee of the left leg.

Attachment 2072116

I am 6 feet and even with the seat pushed fully back, I found my knee keeps hitting that part during gear changes. (I test drove both the manual and automatic for a good 10 kms each). This and the smooth gear shift with power of the automatic convinced me, even more, to go with the automatic. It is a serious design flaw in the car according to me - but one that can be ignored in an automatic.

So make sure you check this before finalizing!
Thank you for the kind suggestion. To be honest, i do not like Tata and the only reason i am buying this car is because my wife loves the way it looks.
I do agree that the new automatic drives very well and i did think about it, I just do not trust Tata's electronics/automatics, hence the lower variants. Besides it costs another 2lacs and goes out of budget.

As far as the protruding plastic part issue goes, I have already thought of a mod, i will share it soon, it might help other owners.
Old 27th October 2020, 12:03   #1068
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you for the kind suggestion. To be honest, i do not like Tata and the only reason i am buying this car is because my wife loves the way it looks.
I really hope you have thought this through & through. If one doesn't like something from the word go, the smallest of problems in future will be amplified to avalanche magnitudes in the mind. And it will keep on spoiling the overall ownership experience in the long run. Given your dislike for Tata cars & no confidence about their software & electronics - if I were in your place, I'd not have opted for the Harrier no matter what. If you are still going ahead with the acquisition with the reason you have specified, I really wish you a happy & trouble free ownership with lots of enjoyable experiences.
Reinhard is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 27th October 2020, 15:17   #1069

Quote:
I do agree that the new automatic drives very well and i did think about it, I just do not trust Tata's electronics/automatics, hence the lower variants. Besides it costs another 2lacs and goes out of budget.

As far as the protruding plastic part issue goes, I have already thought of a mod, i will share it soon, it might help other owners.
I understand as even I used to hate the idea of a Tata car having driven Tata Indica for a long time. But the new Tata cars I feel are in a different league. I have driven the Nexon and found it to be very good. (also know many friends and family members who have it and rave about the car)

Similarly, the Harrier is also not like a "Tata Car" of old. Finally, the transmission is anyways not Tata's. It is sourced from Hyundai. But you are surely right about the increased cost so if you have some solution for the left knee issue then I guess it should be fine.
redevil is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 9th November 2020, 12:36   #1070
BHPian

Update..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
I really hope you have thought this through & through. If one doesn't like something from the word go, the smallest of problems in future will be amplified to avalanche magnitudes in the mind. And it will keep on spoiling the overall ownership experience in the long run. Given your dislike for Tata cars & no confidence about their software & electronics - if I were in your place, I'd not have opted for the Harrier no matter what. If you are still going ahead with the acquisition with the reason you have specified, I really wish you a happy & trouble free ownership with lots of enjoyable experiences.
I agree and did sort of thought hard & also thought what could possibly go so wrong. I am honestly beginning to rethink. But thank you so much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redevil View Post
I understand as even I used to hate the idea of a Tata car having driven Tata Indica for a long time. But the new Tata cars I feel are in a different league. I have driven the Nexon and found it to be very good. (also know many friends and family members who have it and rave about the car)

Similarly, the Harrier is also not like a "Tata Car" of old. Finally, the transmission is anyways not Tata's. It is sourced from Hyundai. But you are surely right about the increased cost so if you have some solution for the left knee issue then I guess it should be fine.
You are right and i agree with you completely. I do have some update regarding the Pre ownership experience.

So I bit the bullet and booked the Telesto Grey Harrier XM on the 30th of last month with Arya Motors, Daryaganj, Delhi.

I had informed them that i will book it, Inspect it and then finalize it to which they agreed. I was informed yesterday that the vehicle has reached the yard and i can inspect it. They also scheduled delivery date on tuesday, 10Nov. After 2 hours and 60 kms of drive, i reached and my car was no where to be found! Dealer then updated that it was a miss from his end and the vehicle is still in transition. I am completely miffed. So the inspection is postponed, the delivery is postponed and certainly left a bad taste.

In the mean time, the Car loan has been approved & disbursed. I have asked the bank to hold it some how for now, not sure what they can do at this point.
Old 10th November 2020, 22:44   #1071
BHPian

Quote:
In the mean time, the Car loan has been approved & disbursed. I have asked the bank to hold it some how for now, not sure what they can do at this point.
Mine was a similar case, however, instead of the dealer most of the fault was with TAMO.
Anyways, you can ask the branch manager of your loan branch to not disburse the amount till you give consent. After all the papers are signed, the disbursal is for the branch manager to process. I had asked the same from my loan manager and it was disbursed only after I did PDI of my Harrier at stockyard (around 15-20 days later than the initial expected delivery date).
Old 15th November 2020, 13:28   #1072

Quote:
Sir, This is the only issue putting me off from booking harrier. If you could kindly throw some more light about the mod I can book this car.
Also the dead pedal is not usable at least for my fat feet. But I can ignore.
Please help on the knee issue.
Old 15th November 2020, 18:43   #1073

Quote:
Originally Posted by koushikroy1989 View Post
Sir, This is the only issue putting me off from booking harrier. If you could kindly throw some more light about the mod I can book this car.
Also the dead pedal is not usable at least for my fat feet. But I can ignore.
Please help on the knee issue.
Anyways, today I test drove again, was able to find my sweet spot without knee hitting dash. Cancelled seltos gtx and booked harrier.
koushikroy1989 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 19th November 2020, 15:40   #1074
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by koushikroy1989 View Post
Anyways, today I test drove again, was able to find my sweet spot without knee hitting dash. Cancelled seltos gtx and booked harrier.
Brilliant news, Congratulations! I also "Finally' got to see my car in real. It felt good . I did the PDI & found couple of niggles:

1. Speedo binnacle is not properly attached:

2. Door has some sort of white color pasting coming off. Not a biggie but did make me notice it anyways.

Experts kindly share your observations/suggestions if the Binnacle can be fixed. I am scheduled to take delivery on Sunday.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Harrier : Official Review-img_20201118_152734.jpg  

Tata Harrier : Official Review-img_20201118_160154.jpg  

adamkathy23 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2020, 19:05   #1075
BHPian

Quote:
1. Speedo binnacle is not properly attached:
Please ask the dealer to fix it before delivery, this is certainly not normal.

Quote:
2. Door has some sort of white color pasting coming off. Not a biggie but did make me notice it anyways.
Can't clearly see if its just something pasted or if there are scratches, would suggest you to get the cleaned up as well, and if the area is scratched, fix it up before taking the delivery.

In fact, if you have not made the full payment, you can pressure them to get these fixed or allot another car.
Old 20th November 2020, 13:23   #1076
BHPian

Hi All,

Finally finalized and booked harrier xza+ dark or camo edition. Not yet finalized between the two.

Few queries:
1. Should I opt for extended warranty?
2. The test drive vehicle had severe play in brake pedal? How are brakes in your harriers? I am not sure as dealer has only 1 test drive car.
3. I have option to register car in Jan? Should i use that option. Else i have goa trip coming up on 5th and can get delivery before that but with dec 2020 registration.
4. Any mandatory accessories which I should consider?

Thanks in advance.. Please help as need to make 2 lakh payment for vehicle billing asap.
shashankrt is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th November 2020, 14:08   #1077
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashankrt View Post
Hi All,

Finally finalized and booked harrier xza+ dark or camo edition. Not yet finalized between the two.

Few queries:
3. I have option to register car in Jan? Should i use that option. Else i have goa trip coming up on 5th and can get delivery before that but with dec 2020 registration.
You should definitely go for extended warranty! Registering in Jan has a minor benefit however you will have to pay for temporary registration.
PrideRed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2020, 14:24   #1078
BHPian

Checked out the Harrier Camo version in the flesh. It is such a good looking car. I think it ticks all the right boxes. The only thing I didn't like was the steering feel. But apart from this, I think its a great vehicle and the best in the segment.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Harrier : Official Review-harrier2.jpg  

Tata Harrier : Official Review-harrier3.jpg  

Tata Harrier : Official Review-harrier1.jpg  

bigben is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 20th November 2020, 15:10   #1079
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
IMPO, it doesnot matter so much these days. A car buyer today is more educated, and would be able to find the manufacture date. May be from VIN. Or from purchase invoice. And definitely the service records. Even a simple thing as Jan registered vehicle raises the flag that this was most likely not manufactured in Jan, unless it can be proved.

Hence I would say - get it right away, and enjoy your upcoming trip.

btw, Best wishes for a long happy ownership. From a long time Tata owner
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2020, 16:03   #1080
BHPian

Quote:

Few queries:
2. The test drive vehicle had severe play in brake pedal? How are brakes in your harriers? I am not sure as dealer has only 1 test drive car.
4. Any mandatory accessories which I should consider?
Congratulations.
EW - Definitely.
Brakes/brake pedal on my car are perfectly fine.
I only took the mudflaps from the dealer. Still need to finalize good quality mats.
rags.singh is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks