Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th January 2021, 23:47   #1141
BHPian

Re: Tata Harrier : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinod_nair View Post
Ventilated seatsIMHO... nothing more
Nah. More like White seats. But I really hope the electronic parking brake makes it to at least the XZ+ Harrier.
Also a better rear camera
Old 20th January 2021, 13:35   #1142
BHPian

Hi, My Harrier has done about 46K kilometres and is in the service centre for a major service. Over 80% of my travel has been on highways and my braking pattern is quite relaxed (i.e no sudden or erratic braking). However, I just received a call from my service advisor that I need to change my brake pads and it would cost almost 9K !! Based on the forum's experience, do you think that the brake pad change at this time is justified ? Also, would it make sense to use any after market brakepads (if any of them exist/available) ?
madhukriss is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2021, 14:15   #1143
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhukriss View Post
Hi, My Harrier has done about 46K kilometres and is in the service centre for a major service. Over 80% of my travel has been on highways and my braking pattern is quite relaxed (i.e no sudden or erratic braking). However, I just received a call from my service advisor that I need to change my brake pads and it would cost almost 9K !! Based on the forum's experience, do you think that the brake pad change at this time is justified ? Also, would it make sense to use any after market brakepads (if any of them exist/available) ?
46k is decent mileage at which break pads are being replaced. Do you not have any AMC or is it not offered for the Harrier?
I've seen people change break pads atleast 3 times by the time their AMC expires and i myself have changed it twice on my Hexa (done 48k kms as of now).
abhi7013 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2021, 14:39   #1144
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi7013 View Post
46k is decent mileage at which break pads are being replaced. Do you not have any AMC or is it not offered for the Harrier?
I've seen people change break pads atleast 3 times by the time their AMC expires and i myself have changed it twice on my Hexa (done 48k kms as of now).
Thanks for your response. I do not have an AMC (mine got over at 15K) but your inputs on brake pads getting changed at shorter intervals are quite useful.
Old 20th January 2021, 15:39   #1145
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
... I just received a call from my service advisor that I need to change my brake pads and it would cost almost 9K !! ?
Unless you have seen issues in braking, and also considering you have said that you have a relaxed braking approach, I think you can skip the replacement for now - esp if you are paying for it. The brake pads in my Storme have crossed 45k, and I plan to use them some more. But my friend Varun had helped me with this - we had opened the pads and checked the life.
condor is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 20th January 2021, 19:53   #1146
BHPian

Quote:
Mine is Dec 2019 and I've done almost 8000 kms. Around 2500 kms, I had a brake discs, pads and shims replacement under warranty. The reason being I was experiencing a shuddering while braking at speeds over 80 kmph. That problem was resolved after the replacement.

I suggest you replace your brake pads. I have heard many owners from our Harrier Group replacing their brakepads around 30,000 kms. I would also suggest looking at your tyre tread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by handsofsteel View Post
Is anybody getting deliveries this month? People at Pune worrying a waiting time in excess of 2 months for the dual tone white+black xta.
Had gone with a friend who wanted to book, but was put off by the lackadaisical attitude of the staff.
For the last month, he's been hounding them and it's almost as if they are not interested.
Check in Bangalore, KHT Motors Whitefield. Two of our Harrier Group members are getting delivery next week. And they booked last week.

Last edited by Sheel : 20th January 2021 at 20:58. Reason: Please edit / multi-quote replies instead of back to back posts on the same thread. Thanks.
vk007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2021, 13:28   #1147
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vk007 View Post
Check in Bangalore, KHT Motors Whitefield. Two of our Harrier Group members are getting delivery next week. And they booked last week.
Can you share the price/discount they are getting in Bangalore?

I have to eventually (in 3 years) move to Gujarat and am thinking to buy it from Gujarat as it saves more than 3l on the top variant. I will drive down once a year to get my PUC etc done from GJ as I feel it's worth the effort.
Old 25th January 2021, 13:22   #1148
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumper_ View Post
Congratulations for the new purchase!

I am really anxious to know about the mod you have promised to share to solve the problem of the left knee rubbing the plastic panel while the use of the clutch pedal.

During my test drive, my left leg was constantly rubbing the plastic panel and it really put me off. I don't mind chopping off the protruding plastic with a saw.

Awaiting advice as I am planning to book the Safari MT asap.
Hey Buddy, I am on it. I am working on couple of mods, including chopping off a piece of the trim. This is a very good vehicle and if you like it, do go for it!
adamkathy23 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2021, 13:38   #1149
BHPian

Quote:
46K is a good number. Assuming its your first brakepad change, please go ahead and get it done. Have you taken the Extended Warranty? Please consider taking it if not taken already. If under warranty, then wouldn't recommend replacing the brakepads with aftermarket brakepads. May affect your warranty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhatt View Post
Can you share the price/discount they are getting in Bangalore?

I have to eventually (in 3 years) move to Gujarat and am thinking to buy it from Gujarat as it saves more than 3l on the top variant. I will drive down once a year to get my PUC etc done from GJ as I feel it's worth the effort.
Go with GJ then. The savings is worth it.

Regarding BLR pricing and discounts, there's been a price increase in recent days. I'll check in our Harrier Group and revert.

Last edited by vb-saan : 25th January 2021 at 13:50. Reason: Back-to-back posts merged; please use edit/multi-quote options when posting back-to-back. Thanks!
Old 25th January 2021, 16:05   #1150
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumper_ View Post

During my test drive, my left leg was constantly rubbing the plastic panel and it really put me off.
Shouldn't this get addressed by lowering the seat a bit?

I haven't TDed the car in question but this is something I gave sometimes on my Figo and lowering the seat solves the issue. Doesn't that help here?

#Curious
antz.bin is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2021, 18:24   #1151
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Unless you have seen issues in braking, and also considering you have said that you have a relaxed braking approach, I think you can skip the replacement for now - esp if you are paying for it. The brake pads in my Storme have crossed 45k, and I plan to use them some more. But my friend Varun had helped me with this - we had opened the pads and checked the life.
Thanks a ton !! On a lighter note, I guess I would need my very own Varun to help me with my brake pad life. Else I would have to make do with the Service Advisor's advise .

Quote:
Originally Posted by vk007 View Post
I suggest you replace your brake pads. I have heard many owners from our Harrier Group replacing their brake pads around 30,000 kms. I would also suggest looking at your tire tread.
Thank you. Based on the advise of my wheel alignment and balancing guy, the tires are good enough for about 20K more.
Old 6th February 2021, 02:35   #1152

Few weeks back, I encountered the drive mode malfunction error in my Harrier. MID was showing hill hold control and hill descent control malfunction, along with drive mode malfunction. ABS indicator did not go once the engine was turned on. Neither drive modes nor traction control modes were working. All three leds on the traction control dial remained on after starting the car. Upon checking with the service center and owners group, the rat bite seemed to be the most probable cause. Since the service center is 90 km away from my home, I could not take it to the service center immediately. Over the weekend, I took the vehicle for the first service as ODO was around 1300 km.

When SC scanned for the errors, ABS module wasn't getting connected. They tried to find the fault but did not succeed. They asked for more time to investigate the exact location of the fault and asked to keep the car in SC for at least one day. I agreed as I could not find any other option and decided to come back home (most likely it would have been Tata ST bus). I left the SC and decided to have some food before heading to the bus depot. I was walking to the restaurant and I received a call from the service advisor, and he informed me that the electrician had found the fault and the car would be ready in some time, and asked not to go home. I was really relieved to hear that. They readied the car since nothing major was to be done on first service. They refilled DEF though and the first bill came of Rs 350 (for the DEF). Nothing else was charged as expected. Post service, I felt the clutch and gears improved a little bit but the steering felt a bit heavier initially.

I have never heard any of the neighbors complaining about rat bites, so I was not paying any heed to the rodent menace. But in the end, it turned out to be rat bites.
Recently I came across a YouTube video where the owner had complained that the SC had deliberately cut the wires and were blaming poor rats. So I was really worried when all of this happened.

So far my experience with both sales and service has been really positive. I don't have any complaints and the guys there are really helping. I hope it continues.

We have a Chevy Spark(13+ years) and it has clocked more than 1.75 L km and my father is still using it for his daily 50 km drive to the office. Not seeing any major issue so we will continue to use it. The Spark was really good 4-5 years ago but in the last few years, it was put to heavy usage, especially in ghat sections with poor roads (or not roads). I really feel that its today's condition would have been much better if not for the heavy usage in the last few years.

I initially postponed the new car buying decision as much as I could. But seeing the price increase every 6 months, I decided to look for a new vehicle in early 2021. 2021 seemed the right time to buy a new vehicle since the majority of the models would be seeing upgrades. My hometown is a small town and it is dominated by Toofans and Mahindras. So my first requirement was something like Bolero and Toofans from outside (as in their ability to ignore road conditions) and decent to good interiors and good ride quality. Owing to the road conditions around my place, and how frequently I have to travel on those roads, SUVish vehicle was my first preference. However, I didn't want to go for sub 4m due compact cabin space. Initially did not even think of Harrier/Hector due to their size.

I actually did not consider other vehicles at all except Creta. Though Creta doesn’t quite suit my core requirement, but I felt it would be a good compromise on my overall requirement. Since the launch of new Creta, I had been following each and every available resource on the internet on a daily basis. I personally was ok with its polarizing looks, and the look didn't bother me as such. However, all this while, I had assumed that Hyundai is much better than Maruti Suzuki in terms of built quality, since there is a Hyundai premium over other cars of its segment. I did not have anything to validate it but since Creta has been a successful product (sales wise), and of Rs 10L+ vehicle which sees a good number of sales every month, I had believed that their marketing of AHSS/HSS must be backed by an engineering marvel. This is something which I could not absolutely measure though but I felt good that Hyundai is at least considering the safety aspect. I felt Hyundai had a positive intent to provide better built cars.

So we booked Creta during the last week of October and were promised to get the delivery in around 1 month. However, I was mentally ready for around 45-60 days for the delivery.
As the days passed, a different kind of feeling had started developing. Deep down in my heart, there was something which was preventing me from getting attached to the new vehicle. Whenever I pictured how the new vehicle would look on the parking spot beside my house, or whenever I opened amazon to get a few accessories even without getting the vehicle, there was something which was not connecting to the soul.

Then came Seltos crash test ratings, and it falsified my earlier assumptions about Hyundai.

And now I understood that they lack a positive intent to provide a safer vehicle (deep down in my heart I know that I don't need this statement to be validated, but I really hope it's a false statement). This clearly put me off of owning a Creta because of the intentional lack of a positive intent.

I had lost the excitement of getting a new vehicle. I started looking for alternatives but no other options seemed as good as Creta. Jeep felt out of budget and Honda City wouldn't be an ideal option to drive regularly on pathetic roads of villages. Harrier was still not even considered yet.

On one fine night, I went to my friend's wedding. And there I saw a white Harrier (BS4 version) for the first time closely (earlier I had only a fleeting glance of the Harrier). I was really awestruck by its look. From the photos, I did not like the lower front of the Harrier, but it did not bother much when I saw it in flesh. Next day, I just casually checked with a nearby dealer to get the price on the phone. There were no additional components added to the on road price except standard rto, insurance and tcs. I was still in double mind whether to go to the showroom or not since it is 90 km away from my home. But decided to at-least have a visit. While going to the showroom, I met the same Harrier which I had seen on my friend's wedding. I really wanted to have a first impression from the owner, who was a distant friend. He gladly allowed me to check the inside. The first thing I noticed were the interiors, and I felt they were really good. The condition of the car was quite decent though I know the owner and its rough usage of the vehicle. Then I noticed the odo and it was 47k, and it had only been around 1 year. Upon asking about any problems he faced, he didn't mention anything in particular. This really inspired a first positive thought about the Harrier.

We reached the showroom and took a test-drive of Harrier Automatic. I mainly wanted to check the in-cabin experience and I found nvh to be good enough. The seat comfort and overall interiors were outstanding (for me).

When I had booked Creta, I had tried hard (though not enough) to match the insurance quote or to get outside insurance, but I had failed. One dealer had clearly refused to sell the vehicle, and others did not even follow up. Not to mention no dealer was providing test drive. However, all those efforts in dealing with insurance, though did not help while booking Creta, certainly helped while booking Harrier. I clearly told the Tata sales guy about the insurance quote, and within 5 min, he provided the best rates, and we booked the Harrier XZ+.
I had booked Creta for 17.65 L and Harrier for 20.71 L. Both insurance and rto quote for Creta were higher than what I booked for Harrier, despite the good 3L difference in ex showroom. Also, for me, Harrier is not overpriced for the kind of value it offers if I compare it with other cars on ex-factory price. It is a different story how the difference keeps increasing for on-road price, but this difference really doesn't relate to the features the vehicle offers.

The delivery was promised in a month and I got delivery on time. Sales guy gave regular updates and there were no additional efforts by them to get any additional things. I wasn't offered any free accessories. Maybe I failed in the bargain.

Positives:
  1. The looks: Every angle looks outstanding except the lower front, which doesn't bother much though.
  2. Ride on the highway: It simply shines on the highway. You are bound to get a huge grin on your face, especially on sports mode. Simply superb.
  3. Ride on bad roads: This is the best thing I personally love about Harrier. It simply glides over the bad roads.
  4. Ride on roads built eons ago: Don't know how much off-roading can be done on the Harrier, but I am not disappointed by the drive whenever I encountered no roads which used to be roads some years ago.
  5. Ride on ghats having no proper road: Didn't find any issue or discomfort driving uphill. Though the vehicle is big, no issue on turns.
  6. Seat comfort: Mostly sat on the driver side but the comfort is superb. The back is even better.
  7. The boot: Big enough for my usage. I am not seeing if i will be using suitcases to measure but for my camping needs, it took everything. Few tents, sleeping bags, 20l jug, 5 kg cylinder and single burner gas, and few other things.
  8. Interior colors: I personally like it very much.

Neutral
  1. Music system: I think the majority has liked the music system but honestly so far I have not found the sweet spot of the settings which is pleasant to my ears.
  2. Gear shift: Not quite super smooth but not something I dislike either.
  3. Handbrake: I would prefer this design over regular design, but would rather prefer an electronic parking brake which will free up lots of space. They have thoughtfully added compartments in doors to put various items but there is no place to put your mobile near the center console where generally people keep their mobile.
  4. Clutch: Deep travel, not super light, but not bothersome.
  5. Nvh: Engine grunt can be heard but not bothersome. Vibrations on the gear knob can be felt but again not bothersome once you move on.
  6. Braking: Adequate.
  7. Sunroof controls: Would have preferred Creta like one touch button instead of 3 different. Maybe I will get used to it in time.

Negative
  1. Headlights: The throw is quite ok but I don't have any other driving experience to compare against. But while travelling at night where there are no external light sources, during cornering, the cornering lamp glows. And that is when I found it really difficult to drive. When these cornering lamps are on, the overall throw is almost halved (or even less than half), that is what I feel. And I really can't see what's ahead after a few meters. As soon as cornering lamps are off, things become normal. Not sure this is how cornering lamps work, but if they do, then I am certainly not happy. If the turning radius/arc is big, then it's not an issue. However I don't find any lag on cornering lamps getting on/off though. The problem is only when they are on and there are continuous turns.
  2. That rubber below handbrake: Not exactly sure what lies underneath it, but on the first day itself, my friend managed to slip his mobile inside it. We had just left the showroom and were heading for the home. My friend suddenly asked me to stop and I was literally panicked at that time. Luckily pulled the mobile back using the attached chord.
  3. Reverse parking camera: Lacks clarity.
  4. Half hand rest (lengthwise): So far able to touch my left hand elbow only.
  5. Half dead pedal (widthwise): Depending upon what shoes/sandal/sleeper I wear, the usability changes.

Irritating
  1. The infotainment has a feature to turn off the screen. This is especially useful during the night. However one change in volume or song, it turns on and I have to do it again. Ideally should be auto-off after certain time.
  2. Is it really hard to provide decent material feel to the center of steering ?

Other few points
  1. Oftentimes smelled clutch.
  2. I mostly drive on city mode and as per mid, avg is hovering around 15. Not tested tank to tank yet.
  3. I found eco mode on downhill(especially on ghat roads) provides better control.
  4. Not yet experienced capabilities of different terrain modes.
  5. Harrier used to get 4 parking sensors but it has changed around oct/nov and now there are 2.
  6. Creta SX(o) DT diamond cut alloys are really one of best looking.

Why no auto ?
No city usage. Hometown is a small town. Though I could have got xza, i don't have any issue with the manual(because I haven't driven an auto extensively).

Why booked Creta first ?
I was getting an organization loan (my father actually) and it had a certain limit. So Harrier initially was out of budget. It got increased however only after I booked Creta. This allowed me to think about Harrier later. Looking back, I realize how flawed the purchase decision was. But I am glad how it turned out.

I am assuming that it is understood that all of these are my personal views only. Just wanted to share my experience with Harrier so far.
Ending this post with few pics and a video.

Tata Harrier : Official Review-img_95552.jpg

Tata Harrier : Official Review-img_95512.jpg

Tata Harrier : Official Review-img_95282.jpg

Tata Harrier : Official Review-img_98192.jpg

Tata Harrier : Official Review-20201230_073323_hdr01.jpeg

Tata Harrier : Official Review-20201225_083632_hdr01.jpeg

Tata Harrier : Official Review-lumii_20210101_14591363901.jpeg

Last edited by Sheel : 6th February 2021 at 08:54. Reason: Please space out your paragraphs for better readability. Thanks.
travelpanthi is offline   (29) Thanks
Old 12th February 2021, 21:35   #1153
BHPian

Hi everyone, I have made this same post in the 2020 Harrier Automatic thread.

Need some advice from Harrier owners, folks.

I need a vehicle for the hills, one that can go over broken roads/ no roads, is comfortable for the front as well as passenger seat travellers (I won't be driving much myself), does well on the highway and has street presence.

Basis that, and basis my budget, I quickly identified and discarded the Innova (dead comfortable, but too low to traverse the broken terrain I'll be going through) and Mahindra Scorpio (back seat body roll was terrible, and I ended with a bad back).

I took a ride in the top of the line Harrier Automatic version and was blown away by the power, comfort, street presence and ride quality.

It looks like the Harrier for now. My questions are (apologies they're very basic):

1. The Harrier version that was launched in 2020- was it only the automatic? In other words, are the current manual variants on the market all dating back to 2019?

Thus: the 2020 Harrier range is the XMA Auto, the XZA Auto and the XZA Plus Autos?

2. If the above is correct, does it mean that as of now- the manual (2019) version still has the niggles/ issues that were referred to in the Team BHP review?

3. I loved the Auto, but since I will mostly not drive myself, would the manual be a better choice? What do current manual users have to say?

Thanks in advance.
Old 4th March 2021, 15:11   #1154
Distinguished - BHPian

Was a bit surprised to see a Dar edition (possibly, because it was all black) Harrier for sale at a consultant (JP nagar ring road. May be a bit early, but who knows ?
Old 4th March 2021, 22:24   #1155
Senior - BHPian

Many people are finding it difficult to service their loans. Lots of cars and apartments under foreclosure now. This could be one such. Any idea what was the asking price?
Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Was a bit surprised to see a Dar edition (possibly, because it was all black) Harrier for sale at a consultant (JP nagar ring road. May be a bit early, but who knows ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks