Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st April 2021, 19:03   #1186
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Tata Harrier : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCR View Post
Can owners here confirm their experience of the Clutch, gear throws and steering? I am a Manual Transmission lover and would not like to consider an auto gearbox.
Hi,

If you are looking for a car like experience, as is expected from a monocoque crossover like the Creta, you will be disappointed with the Harrier. Especially the manual.

Truth be told, if I didn't know any better and was driving the Harrier for the first time without any prior knowledge, I would wager it was a BoF vehicle. The steering + notchy gearbox + clutch tuning + drivetrain clunks + average outside visibility doesn't help matters.

If your usage is only city, would advise to check out the automatic also or maybe other options in the market.

But if atleast 30% of your usage will be for long trips, please do go for a long highway TD. You will love the Harrier.

Edit: Just now saw the other replies.

Dunno...Maybe take a TD of the Compass. Overpriced it is, but guess you will find what you are looking in it.

Last edited by DicKy : 21st April 2021 at 19:10.
DicKy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2021, 09:05   #1187
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCR View Post
What you say is right. The Automatic is easy to drive. It masks the bulk of the car really well. However, they are good for relaxed cruising and not really good when trying to catch up with say, a car from the segment above

We have a city car (Grand i10 Nios) and I am particularly looking for a fun to drive and quick highway machine.
Hey MCR, I recently bought my 1st AT the Safari. While I have always been an MT fan, my last two cars being a Jetta diesel and Octy vRS mk1. My large cars are always used for my BLR <> CJB runs and my last drive has shown me how easy life was with the AT, the Hyundai sourced AT is very seamlessly mated to the Jeep Compass 2.0 diesel, yes it doesn't hurry up like the DSG or ZF but it gets its job done pretty nicely, despite being an SUV that's 400 KG's heavier than the Jetta, the drive was a bliss. Now, I want to shift my city ride to an AT too. I advise against the Harrier or Safari MT - even though a FIAT sourced unit, the clutch is hard, the throws are long+wide and the gates are notchy - your left leg and hand will be sore after long drives!

Re: chasing the next segment car! I have seen guys crazily chasing me in my previous ride, while I was running 50% of my car capabilities, they were doing a 150% on theirs not knowing they are putting themselves and their loved ones in harms way! My friendly advise -> pls DONT, there are plenty of better things to do in life and this particular habit is better left alone!

Last edited by AirWind : 22nd April 2021 at 09:08.
AirWind is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2021, 09:32   #1188
MCR
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DicKy View Post
Dunno...Maybe take a TD of the Compass. Overpriced it is, but guess you will find what you are looking in it.
I had taken the TD of Jeep Compass (both Petrol and Diesel). I loved it (Driving experience and ride quality). A few points going against it are;

1. Not really spacious (even for 5 occupants).
2. Long clutch action.
3. Feature loaded variants are not really VFM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirWind View Post
Hey MCR, I recently bought my 1st AT the Safari....I advise against the Harrier or Safari MT - even though a FIAT sourced unit, the clutch is hard, the throws are long+wide and the gates are notchy - your left leg and hand will be sore after long drives!

I understand your point. The manual transmission variant is a chore to drive. The AT variant is good. Its dynamics are as that of a large SUV for sure.

Coming to chasing cars comment, I am no road racer and put safety above anything else. If I see people trying to race me, I take a break. What I meant was, starting from standstill, say after passing through toll booths, or for a quick overtake or quickly reaching a set cruising speed I need the machine to be agile and quick. This is where the dynamics of the car and agility of the power train are important.
Old 28th April 2021, 16:34   #1189
MCR
BHPian

I have been interested in Tata Cars right from Indica V2 days. But never had the courage to "cut the cheque" in their name. Even though the dealership experience has been OK till now, its not really confidence inspiring. I have had interactions with two Major dealers here in Bangalore and all they were interested was in my money and not really anything else. They push off every query to another day saying its OK and it will be taken care by someone in the future. If such an attitude exists, then how can I plonk "MY" money on such a Company and expect a better Service?

Examples of apathy;
1. OK looking interiors on TD Car : Since its a TD car, it's abused and Don't worry the new car will not have these.
2. Hard Clutch and Steering : Same answer as above.
3. Can I drive a Safari AT? : Sir, Please decide which car you want!
4. How long is the waiting period : Around 4 Weeks but we need full payment upfront or at least majority of it!

After all of the above, I had a few questions on AS-Service and the Sales guy says, don't worry we will let you know.
I was all along cringing from inside thinking why should I even "Waste" my time with these guys.

The Harrier no doubt is a fantastic car but as they say "Beauty is only skin deep", and its not a Product which can give you extreme satisfaction after owning one.
So the Harrier and the Safari stand "dropped" from my shopping list.

A Post which asserted my experience and "gut feeling" : https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offic...ml#post5050996 (2020 Tata Harrier Automatic : Official Review)
MCR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2021, 18:28   #1190
BHPian

Dear fellow BHPians, I am facing a strange issue with the cruise control (henceforth CC) of my car. I have posted this in the Harrier Automatic official review thread, but re-posting it here as well. Kindly help me out with your valuable inputs.

Introduction: I own an XZA+ variant. It's a Dec 20 manufactured vehicle, bought in Jan 21. It has run 3400 km to date. It is my first vehicle that comes equipped with Cruise Control .

Issue: While CC is engaged, after I press the brake pedal to slow down, the CC always gets cancelled. The exact message displayed is "Cruise Control Cancelled". However, please note that this does not turn "Cruise Control Off". It means the small CC icon is still displayed in the MID, and one can re-engage the CC by simply clicking on the button used to increase the speed.

Previously, this was not the case. While using CC, after I braked, the car used to automatically re-accelerate to the set cruise speed after releasing the brake pedal. That is exactly how CC should work. But as I have described, it is not the same case anymore.

In the present situation, the dedicated CC OFF button on the steering wheel (the one below the speed adjustment button) has become redundant.

My ordeal to use CC goes this way-

I press the CC ON button (the one above the speed adjustment button), then set the required cruise speed. CC works alright. Then in case I brake, MID displays "Cruise Control Cancelled". The CC icon continues to be displayed in the MID. The speed display goes away.
In order to re-engage CC, I press the speed adjustment button upwards (to increase speed). CC comes back on, MID re-displays the CC speed.
When I want to turn CC Off, I have to press the CC ON button again, and MID shows "Cruise Control Off". In case I press the CC OFF button to turn off CC, it simply doesn't work. It is almost like a dummy button now.

I believe I have been able to successfully describe my problem to you. This is quite an annoying issue. I use CC primarily in the city, so as to be careful not to overshoot the speed limit. And city driving involves frequent braking. It becomes an irritating ordeal in a matter of minutes.
Above all, I believe it is a problem with some settings in the car, which I am not able to figure out. This is an abnormal behaviour of the CC.

My car's next service is scheduled in Jul 21. Currently, the Covid situation in Kolkata is steadily deteriorating. The condition throughout India is out of control. I am not willing to visit the ASS now, neither do I want to send the car. I am not even sure the ASS are open, since WB Govt. has passed strict instructions for only essential services to be open. The situation in July remains to be seen. Hence, I would like to solve this situation at home itself.

Thanks in advance.
Old 12th May 2021, 09:53   #1191
BHPian

This is how Cruise Controls work. One has to resume the cruise after braking, since the vehicle doesn't know whether you want to continue going slow or to cruise.

Only if the vehicle is equipped with adaptive cruise control with front sensors would the vehicle slow down on its own and accelerate when the traffic speeds up (after manual braking).
krish3 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st May 2021, 09:04   #1192
BHPian

I am in waiting mode for now.
Harrier/Safari 6 month Service visit is kind of a deal breaker for me and I don't see any other option at 20 Lakhs at the moment. Perhaps somebody can help me understanding this service cycle.

Never felt confident about Hector, never checked it out.
I like Innova but a little out of budget and my wife hates the 'taxi'.

Hoping XUV will provide a decent option, else I will keep the Duster for another couple of years.
Old 21st May 2021, 10:26   #1193
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SinghP09 View Post
Harrier/Safari 6 month Service visit is kind of a deal breaker for me and I don't see any other option at 20 Lakhs at the moment. Perhaps somebody can help me understanding this service cycle.

Hoping XUV will provide a decent option, else I will keep the Duster for another couple of years.
AFAIK, 6-month service is just a namesake service, they will not change any fluids. At most just an inspection and top up of fluids. I'm up for a 6-month service this month-end, but due to lockdown and prevailing covid scenario here in Bengaluru, I may delay getting it serviced by a month after that I will be better positioned to tell you about that.
Old 21st May 2021, 10:32   #1194
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highh5 View Post
AFAIK, 6-month service is just a namesake service, they will not change any fluids. At most just an inspection and top up of fluids. I'm up for a 6-month service this month-end, but due to lockdown and prevailing covid scenario here in Bengaluru, I may delay getting it serviced by a month after that I will be better positioned to tell you about that.
The problem is it is mandatory and you have to visit the service center every six months. Why have it at all if it is no big deal. Also, as a friend said, clearly the car is not good enough and manufacturer doesn't have confidence if it needs to visit the service center every six months just for general check up.
Old 21st May 2021, 11:03   #1195
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Also, as a friend said, clearly the car is not good enough and manufacturer doesn't have confidence if it needs to visit the service center every six months just for general check up.
Please inform your friend that the Toyota Innova - widely recognized for its reliability and perhaps the most reliable vehicle on sale in its time - also had a mandatory general checkup every six months!
rrsteer is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 21st May 2021, 15:16   #1196
AZT
BHPian

Quote:
The problem is it is mandatory and you have to visit the service center every six months. Why have it at all if it is no big deal. Also, as a friend said, clearly the car is not good enough and manufacturer doesn't have confidence if it needs to visit the service center every six months just for general check up.
For Tata, this 6 month interval is more to boost the service center profit than any specific quality check.

First 3 or 4 services are anyway free and even post that as long as you go with your car to the service center and are diligent about what exact work is needed, it gets tough for them to add unnecessary expenses. I have learnt this the hard way so no longer give the service advisor a free reign to do as he sees fit. Just my 2 cents.
AZT is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st May 2021, 19:26   #1197
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZT View Post
For Tata, this 6 month interval is more to boost the service center profit than any specific quality check.
First 3 or 4 services are anyway free and even post that as long as you go with your car to the service center and are diligent about what exact work is needed, it gets tough for them to add unnecessary expenses. I have learnt this the hard way so no longer give the service advisor a free reign to do as he sees fit. Just my 2 cents.
This is very good insight & I second it. As long as one is with functional eyes and ears - the 6 month service interval is more of a logistical issue than financial for Tata car owners. The expenses are really little (personal experience) with basic common sense.

Whats actually frustrating is the unnecessary visit to the service center every 6 months to do NOTHING, just because we want the warranty to be intact. I wish they just offered a simple way around it, where I transfer 1K INR after 6 months to them and they mark the service as done. I'll happy do that, even when actually my 6 month service costs tend to be 0 for "inspection visits" .

Last edited by Reinhard : 21st May 2021 at 19:28.
Reinhard is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2021, 09:11   #1198
BHPian

Quote:

SinghP09,
Please list down your requirements for a 20 lakh car.
Coz there are a lot of other options as well - existing in the market as well as incoming to the market.
Innova is an odd man out in your comparison of Harrier with Hector and XUV500. So the better recommendation you can get is based on what your needs are in your next car.
Livnletcarsliv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2021, 23:06   #1199
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livnletcarsliv View Post
SinghP09,
Please list down your requirements for a 20 lakh car.
Coz there are a lot of other options as well - existing in the market as well as incoming to the market.
Innova is an odd man out in your comparison of Harrier with Hector and XUV500. So the better recommendation you can get is based on what your needs are in your next car.
I own a Duster and I am looking for a replacement for that.
Requirements:
0. Hoping to invest in safety.
1. Higher seating is a boon for elders in the family, so Sedans not considered.
2. Good boot space (can't find any in this range as good as Duster's boot.). Hence not looking forward to Kushaq and Taigun.
3. Decent space at the back,parents and then kids and dog need as much space as possible. Kia Seltos hardly seems to have any space or under thigh support while Jeep compass looks good only for 2 at the back, even if I extend my budget.
4. I said Innova because it ticks most of the boxes but the variant I will like will perhaps be closer to 25 than 20 and even then my wife will hate it

I like Harrier and it ticks most of the boxes ( Safety ratings still an open point). My second preference at the moment is Compass which ticks all the boxes other than the 5th passenger. I am now waiting for XUV launch to see what it has to offer.

What else do you think can be worth looking forward to in this range?
SinghP09 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2021, 23:59   #1200
BHPian

Quote:
I own a Duster and I am looking for a replacement for that.
What else do you think can be worth looking forward to in this range?
Apart from waiting for the XUV you have Safari as well, additional features like rear disc brakes, E brake and auto hold, option to seat 6/7 or more luggage space compared to Harrier.

Five people can travel in the Safari and with last row seats folded down even a big dog can sit comfortably there, the last row ac vents are super beneficial to keep the dog comfortable too.

Last edited by yesyeswe : 4th June 2021 at 00:01.
yesyeswe is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks