Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 30th November 2021, 14:20   #1231
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tata Harrier : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Have known of folks who purchased display vehicles, and have not had any problems due to that type of use by showroom.
I have a showroom display car at home, a September 2013 manufactured Punto Active bought in December 2013. I was a bit worried about the stalks though but they are working fine in contrast to other routine parts that failed. So I guess a display car is fine for purchase especially when waiting period is high.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellusiv View Post
I did actually, got it delivered last Monday. Things have been good so far. Hoping to type up an ownership review as soon as i out some miles on it.

The car had only done around 30 kilometres or so.
Many congratulations and dont worry. A display car is as good as new. Wishing you lacs of happy ownership kilometers.
PaddleShifter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2021, 13:32   #1232
BHPian

Harrier BS4 vs BS6.

Everyone knows about the cosmetic differences between the two.
And of course, everyone knows the mechanical differences as well - 140ps to 170ps.

But regarding the mechanical differences, is that all?
1. Is it just the retuned software/ECU that brings the power from 140ps to 170ps?
2. What are the other mechanical changes that are updated in the BS6 version? - Bigger turbo, bigger intake, any other changes?
Old 15th December 2021, 10:11   #1233
BHPian

Hello Harrier Owners,

A friend of mine has the first generation Harrier.
Apart from the niggles that come with a first generation vehicle, there seems to be a strange situation for him.
On the front alloys, after a drive, there forms a very fine film of black particles, which appear to be fine brake compound. Its as if the front brake pads are getting deposited on the alloys.
When he asked the ASS, they said that it is to be expected since there is a "vent" of some sort which is directed towards the wheels, and that is carrying the brake dust from the pads to the alloys.
The friend is not overly concerned by this, but I am curious, anyone else faced similar issues? Is it normal? Do the new/current generation Harrier/Safari face this issue?
NovemberKing_91 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2021, 08:03   #1234

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovemberKing_91 View Post
Hello Harrier Owners,

A friend of mine has the first generation Harrier.
On the front alloys, after a drive, there forms a very fine film of black particles, which appear to be fine brake compound. Its as if the front brake pads are getting deposited on the alloys.
The friend is not overly concerned by this, but I am curious, anyone else faced similar issues? Is it normal? Do the new/current generation Harrier/Safari face this issue?
I have not seen any similar issues with my car yet. Seems like brake dust is accumulating on the alloys and that shouldn't be any cause for worry.
ellusiv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th December 2021, 13:06   #1235
Distinguished - BHPian

Birdie chirps that Tata has developed a couple of Harrier/Safari variants in Velvet Green colour shade and which are equipped with a Black Rhino badge.

It might be an all-new colour shade on a new Limited Edition run, similar to the Adventure Persona variant, if it enters production.

The interiors of these cars were also decked in the same dual-tone shade.

They add that this new Velvet Green colour shade is much lighter than the Camo green shade, somewhere between Light Green and Mint shades.
RavenAvi is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 6th January 2022, 16:25   #1236
BHPian

Some insider information about expected price hike in the Harrier and Safari offering.
It appears that the prices would be jacked up by 40 to 50 thousand by mid of January. After the recent price hike seen in Toyota ( close to 60k for the Innova and around 1 Lac for the Fortuner), Tata was expected to follow the trend.
Old 6th January 2022, 17:04   #1237
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovemberKing_91 View Post
Brake dust is what it is. Mostly it is the steel brake rotor themselves along with some amount of pad material as well. Usually the Rotor will last only for 2 sets of pads. Brake dust needs to be cleaned off weekly from alloy wheels - a spray of just about any soapy solution would do, otherwise they get baked into the spokes and become hard to remove later on.
Old 9th January 2022, 14:18   #1238
MaG
BHPian

But why does it get deposited only in Harrier? Why not in other vehicles?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
Brake dust is what it is. Mostly it is the steel brake rotor themselves along with some amount of pad material as well. Usually the Rotor will last only for 2 sets of pads. Brake dust needs to be cleaned off weekly from alloy wheels - a spray of just about any soapy solution would do, otherwise they get baked into the spokes and become hard to remove later on.
Old 9th January 2022, 14:40   #1239
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaG View Post
Many of the high end Germans too. I guess most powerful cars does.

Personally have seen Harrier like brake dust accumulation in Mercs and Cruze. Guess, softer brake pads and larger brake discs cause more brake dust to be generated.
Old 9th January 2022, 15:32   #1240
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
It happens on all vehicles with disc brakes, if the alloy is bright it's more visible. Rub your finger along the alloys in the front after a trip, you will see it.
Old 9th January 2022, 16:15   #1241
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Happens on all vehicles with disc brakes. More noticeable on front.

Even after wiping the alloys, pour water on the discs. You can see the water that flows out will be black. Basically there is more dust inside even after wiping the alloys.

Last edited by condor : 9th January 2022 at 16:16.
condor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th January 2022, 07:44   #1242
BHPian

Does Harrier come with any percentage of tint in the window glasses ?
Old 11th January 2022, 09:15   #1243
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metallicar View Post
Does Harrier come with any percentage of tint in the window glasses ?
Yes , they do have a light factory tint. As far as I have seen except base models of certain vehicles , all others have lightly tinted windows.
Kosfactor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st January 2022, 21:25   #1244
Distinguished - BHPian

Driving the BS6 Harrier on a highway trip

Myself and my brothers were planning for a lunch drive for some time. We decided to execute it today. One of them has a SCross 1.3, another a BS6 dark Harrier, and I was contemplating between my Storme V400 and my Altroz 1.5D. It was decided Harrier will be the companion for this drive.

It was to a fantastic dhaba at Thuvarankurichi, which is 70 km away from my home. It usually is a short 40 minute drive on the superb Trichy - Madurai National highways, where we always floor the car we take. Last time it was the Vento 1.5 TDI

Harrier dark is a gorgeous car

Tata Harrier : Official Review-20220121_145130.jpg

The cabin is a nice place to be, seats are very comfortable, even for relatively tall people like us, 6'2 & 6'4 respectively

Tata Harrier : Official Review-20220121_132220.jpg

Here are my observations from flooring it and enjoying it totally on the highways for 134 km

* 2.0 L Diesel with 170 PS and 350 Nm is a joy to drive - enjoyable performance in sports mode, very good refinement at 120 kmph. The car can do crazy speeds very easily

* Effortless high speed cruise-ability. This car can munch miles

* Nice cabin - Good ergonomics, Visibility, seat comfort and music system

* Excellent ride quality with superb straight line stability

* Good brakes

* Superb fuel economy (for a 1.6 tonne car) when driven gently. 100 kmph at 6th comes at a very relaxed ~2000 RPM. MID showed 25.4 kmpl Average Fuel economy for 53 km trip with cruise control set at 80 kmph

Tata Harrier : Official Review-20220121_154748.jpg

Dislikes

* Steering remains sensitive and light even at triple digit speeds. In the hands of inexperienced drivers, it's a recipe for disaster, given the power on tap. Steering does not weigh with speed at all Spoils the driving pleasure when driving enthusiastically

* Car hates low rpm. Anything below 10 kmph, it shudders to a violent stop if you are in any gear but 1st. Normally in toll plazas, we navigate speed bumps in 2nd gear. But not in Harrier. It demands to be in the 1st gear, and even prompts it through MID. When the car comes to such a stop, it disengages from sports mode and requires a complete OFF and restart to be able to get back on sports mode. It just won't engage if you restarted it at once.

Nothing more to dislike about this beautiful car.

I wish Tata gave a chunkier steering wheel with better contours. My altroz steering is a joy to hold with nice contours. Harrier felt a bit bland and skinny in comparison.

I did do some serious speeds with 3 healthy males in the cabin. The car returned 8.9 kmpl at an enthusiastic 3250-3500 RPM cruising in 6th gear.

No complaints. In my opinion, that is a very healthy fuel economy for the speeds the car cruised.

Overall fuel economy for the 134 km drive was a very respectable 12.6 kmpl.

Tata Harrier : Official Review-20220121_155950.jpg

After today's experience with the Harrier, I am sure it is very easy to obtain 17-19 kmpl from this car, cruising between 110-120 kmph on the highways.

Our Harrier got LTDed

Tata Harrier : Official Review-20220121_150256.jpg

Oh, how can I not mention about the food!! If you travel by Trichy - Madurai National highways, do check out this place - Punjabi Dhaba (nothing Punjabi about it though).

Ambience is poor but the food is exceptional (and very very spicy)

Location - Thuvarankuruchi (on the left on the highways service road that leads to Thuvarankurichi village)

Tata Harrier : Official Review-20220121_141752.jpg

Tata Harrier : Official Review-20220121_145058.jpg

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 21st January 2022 at 21:39.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 27th January 2022, 11:05   #1245
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
Birdie chirps that Tata has developed a couple of Harrier/Safari variants in Velvet Green colour shade and which are equipped with a Black Rhino badge.

It might be an all-new colour shade on a new Limited Edition run, similar to the Adventure Persona variant, if it enters production.

The interiors of these cars were also decked in the same dual-tone shade.

They add that this new Velvet Green colour shade is much lighter than the Camo green shade, somewhere between Light Green and Mint shades.
Any further update on this, please?

--Anoop

Most Viewed