Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th June 2022, 07:14   #1321
BHPian

Re: Tata Harrier : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by theexperthand View Post

So, did you end up doing the pan India drive? If yes, please do post a thread in the travelogue section.

--Anoop
Yes, we did and that's how 6.5kms in 3 months . The dealer was KHT.

Last edited by ambujlal : 18th June 2022 at 07:19.
ambujlal is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th June 2022, 16:56   #1322
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by beast_within View Post
As far as I recall, none of the Harrier variants have 19 inch wheels.
Oops, my bad. Its 18-inch wheels

--Anoop
Old 20th June 2022, 22:14   #1323
BHPian

Anyone facing engine belt noise (squeaking noise) at certain speeds? I replaced the belt tensioner, belt, etc. nothing is working. Again and again I am getting back this issue/noise.

Anyone from anywhere had/have this problem and identified the root cause?
Old 21st June 2022, 10:44   #1324
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlock666 View Post
I recently got the Harrier Kaziranga issue but it was promptly fixed by the ASS team here in Kondapur Venkatramana Tata Motors workshop. I believe this is an issue with almost all Tata cars (New ones) or rather heard its some sort of a safely feature. It still drifts to the left but isn't as prominent as it did before.

But the funny thing is .. it doesn't tire you out to do so.. I mean you don't need to hang on to the wheel.. like you are trying to hang on to the car from jumping off the cliff of something..
A good tire balancing and alignment would bring it almost close to zero left pull.
maddyg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2022, 20:55   #1325
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbm View Post
After streching my already stretched budget by a few more lakhs, ton of research on DPF issues, and ignoring the potential average after sales suplrt, I might be finally zeroing in on my next car (saying might be because I have been searching since a few months and still won't believe myself until I get the car finally home ) Need a few inputs from you guys which might be the final push for me.
1) Read about steering issues in earlier Harrier being too light at high speeds. Does 2022 Harrier have the same issue or is it resolved now?
2) I test drove the manual Safari and I am assuming the drive experience would be the same on Harrier. Is my assumption correct or are there any minor changes in clutch and steering which make the Safari easy to drive. I have posted previously about my experience and would like to clarify that I didn't find the clutch hard or hard to modulate ( did another td to check again, the SA was really cool). The steering not heavy at parking speed but it had a sort of light kickback when going through potholes at turns. What might be the reason for this?
3) My budget restricts me to XT variant and there are two color options I am considering, Daytona grey and Orcus white ( I like black but TATA seem to be forcing me to XT+ for that and it's very difficult for me push more). Which color would suit the Harrier better? Guys with Daytona grey Harrier pls share some pics of your ride. I have owned white Baleno and feel that it's evergreen color but I would like to change.

Harrier if finalised would be a heart over mind decision for me so I might be kind of obsessing on minor things but I believe many of us Bhpians share the same traits.
I have a harrowing experience with the after sales service on my Harrier XZA which I purchased on 22 Dec 2021. From the first day itself I have been facing issues and niggles and Tata SC are not competent enough to solve even minor issues.
Other than that the car was good to drive. But recently I started to face steering and body vibration issues during engine idle. They are now asking to replace the engine on a 6 months old car

I might be unlucky that such a car was delivered to me , but I have seen lot of small niggles here and there on other Harriers a well and some major issues like vehicle moving to the left and steering related issues on multiple threads. Do take a call wisely, posting the thread of my harrowing experience
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...-6-months.html
kapilnitdg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2022, 13:17   #1326
BHPian

Mod Note : Post Edited. Smiley usage is restricted to two per post on Team-BHP. Please do NOT use more than 2 smileys in a post.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

The GOLD completed 50,000 km, 40 months of ownership experience, a mixed bag of emotions. I thought this write up with help potential buyers, more so, people who are looking to buy used Harriers.

Tata Harrier : Official Review-dsc04518.jpg

Retrospectively, I wanted to break this into three main segments - what went good, what went wrong and what could have gone better. Before that, a brief timeline about my car choosing experience.

My previous drive was a 2011 Hyundai Verna Fluidic VTVT SX. The car looked sleek, and drove silky smooth. Breezy ownership experience. No problems whatsoever, visited the service center just for yearly maintenance. The car had done ~62,000 km and the end of the 7th year, clutch became hard, service center recommended to replace the clutch.

Come 2018 - Auto Expo, Tata unveils the H5X concept, immediately caught my attention. I owned a Tata Indica before the Verna, and back then decided that I would never buy a Tata car again. I happened to drive a close relative's Tata Nexon petrol in 2018 and found the car was very good, and drives way better than my Hyundai Verna which had a horror-ful suspension set up. That was when Tata was turning things around, and brought in the safety aspects to their car, made me wait for the launch of H5X.

Come January 2019 - Harrier is launched. Verna started giving problems. I didn't want to wait for the launch of MG Hector (would have never bought it anyways) or the Kia Seltos (would have been a strong contender). Shortlisted 2 cars - Harrier and Hyundai Creta.

Variants Considered:

Harrier XZ
Creta SX(O) Executive VTVT

Creta didn't look like an upgrade at all, as it was the same engine, similar dimensions. Also ~17L on road for the same petrol engine put me off.
Harrier seemed to be a proper upgrade on every aspect except for the seamless Hyundai service experience.

Mind said "No TATA", heart said "Harrier". Finally went by what my heart said Team-BHP's review was late BTW.

Booked a car / color that was readily available. No discounts offered as it was newly launched. Got delivery within a week. No sun roof, no automatic, no color of choice (black / red). But still went ahead and bought the Thermisto Gold (color was discontinued within a year Tata Harrier XZ. On road price was ~20L.

Tata Harrier : Official Review-dsc04510.jpg

Now coming to the ownership experience:

WHAT WENT GOOD:

1. Looks

The car is a looker, turns heads even today. Back in the day it was drop dead unique and amazing road presence.

Once on the highway, a two wheeler was driving fast, crazy, wanting to overtake me. Finally he overtook and then showed a thumbs up (conveying the car is beautiful). I have also experienced multiple cases where people stop by, ask about the car, performance, fuel efficiency, how it drives and if I recommend to buy the car etc.

I don't think any other car in the Indian market would have garnered so much attention in the recent past for the way the car looks. Gave that proud feeling of flaunting your beautiful girlfriend.

2. Engine

Gem of a diesel mill, if I may call it. But why Tata detuned it to 140 bhp is still a mystery.

3. Handling, Platform and Braking

I wouldn't be exaggerating if I say, I was saved by this car once because of the platform and the stability it offers in terms of handling tight situations at some speed. The braking, although with drum brakes at the rear is adequate for sane driving.

4. Sound system

The 8.1 speakers from JBL sounds great. The car is full of rattles and there's considerable wind noise at around 120 kmph. But this sound system kind of masks everything, makes it a perfect highway cruiser.

5. Seating comfort

I have taken several highway trips. My longest drive in a day has been 900 km, Chennai - Madurai - Tirunelveli - Thisayanvilai - Madurai. Absolute breeze to drive, very little fatigue for both me and the passengers. This car is made for the highways.

Very spacious, supportive seating, except for the center console hitting the left knee of the driver.

6. Interiors and commanding view

The interiors of the car grab attention, specially the wooden finish console at the center. The head unit is average, with a lot of real estate being wasted because of the margins. The different color themes, add to the appeal of the screen. The MID is pretty cool, and steering is nice to hold.

Tata Harrier : Official Review-20220623_081446.jpg

Graduating from a low sedan like the Verna, the first thing I noticed in the Harrier when I sat in was the high seats and the commanding view. You literally have to see d-o-w-n on other sedans on the road. A proud feeling to have. Also, I have experienced multiple times where vehicles on the road giving way for the Harrier, may be because of the imposing looks and the rude looking front DRLs.

7. Build quality

No complaints about the strength of the materials used, the car is S-T-R-O-N-G. I am ~85kg, and I have taken several pictures sitting on the bonnet of the car. Fit and finish could have been better though.

WHAT WENT WRONG

1. Several Niggles and QC issues

Typical of TATA cars, Harrier comes with its own set of niggles and QC issues.

- The day I took delivery of my car, the rear parking sensors didn't work. They were replaced under warranty.

- The car is full of rattles - from door pads, B-Pillar etc. To some extent this can be masked by playing music at high volume.

- The front right had a thud noise on potholes and the engine A-mount had to be replaced under warranty. This fixed the issue

- There is some weird belt noise during hard acceleration in 4th, 5th and 6th gear, around the 1500 rpm range. Several service center visits, several parts being replaced (idler, belt assembly, belt itself) under warranty with little help. The noise still persists.

- Car vibrates (wobbles) occasionally during idle. It was diagnosed as faulty Clutch kit - part replaced under warranty recently. Yet to see if it fixed the issue.

Tata Harrier : Official Review-workshop.jpg

2. Service intervals

6 months and 7500 km service interval is horrible these days when 15000 km and 1 year is the norm. Add to that several niggles that need visit to the service center. On an average, in a year, my car spends at least 10 to 15 days in the service center.

3. Service centers and personnel's competency

The Tata Authorized Service centers are dated and cramped for space. It is very clear that, neither Tata anticipated selling these many cars, nor the service centers were prepared for handling the number of cars they are handling today. In a city like Chennai, the service centers are very less, and severely short staffed. Every regular service visit takes 2 days for them to deliver the car, that too with the issues not fixed.

Also the service personnel are not competent enough to handle cars like Harrier / Safari. They are very poor in diagnosing the root cause of the issues and just perform trial and error in the customer's cars.

Only good thing is, the service center is very co-operative, staffs are understanding. They admit there is a problem, and warranty claims are seamless. In the last 3 years, except for regular service, I have not paid for any part that is replaced. Good that I got the Pentacare (5 years extended warranty).

4. HU / software

More than 3 years since the launch, Tata is still not able to nail the HU / Software issues. The HU still crashes, hangs, responds late etc.

WHAT COULD HAVE GONE BETTER

1. Proper launch with all variants and colors

The Harrier was launched with just one engine, one transmission, 4 variants and 5 colors. All BS4 owners at one point felt cheated, when TATA launched the revised version in just 1 year of initial launch. BS6 is understood, but 170 BHP, AT, Sun roof, attractive colors, bigger wheels and addressing several niggles on the initial launch left initial owners furious. There were several Whatsapp and Telegram groups going round with discussions specific to this.

2. 170 bhp engine tune

Much have already been discussed about this.

3. Better refinement

Refinement has been a big let down. The engine sounds ugly when accelerated at high RPMs. Vibrations, typical of diesel cars, is on the slightly higher side.

4. Better quality parts

Given the niggles, rattles and other problems, raises the question, if TATA has actually used good quality parts in the car.

5. AWD option

Given the SUV nature of the car, an AWD would have added a lot of value to this car. The terrain control system provided in this car is more of a gimmick than a functional feature - we (a bunch of Harriers) ended up stranded on a beach trusting the ability of this car. The car can do mild off-roading though.

Name:  IMG20210124WA0001.jpg
Views: 1733
Size:  15.8 KB

Given all the above, the moment I sit in the car and start driving, the pleasant feel kind of over shadows all the hard feelings the car gives. Given my driving style, 50,000 km in 3 years is a lot for me and speaks volumes about how much I like driving this car. More than me, my family loves the car so much, that it has become an emotion.

I have replaced all 4 tires to Yokohoma Geolander AT.

Maximum speed tried - 160 kmph for a second or two, just to check the car's performance. I tried this in absolutely safe conditions.

Best FE - 21.5 kmpl, tank full method. Driven 450 km, sedately, at 80 - 90 kmph

Will I recommend Harrier to anybody - definitely Yes!, with a warning that - "Be prepared for multiple visits to the service center". It is still a great car.

Tata Harrier : Official Review-parting-1.jpg

Tata Harrier : Official Review-parting-2.jpg

Last edited by Sheel : 8th July 2022 at 19:37. Reason: Mod note attached.
Mechanto is offline   (40) Thanks
Old 8th July 2022, 14:22   #1327
BHPian

Motorbeam refers to Team-BHP as source for news

Just came across a video on Youtube from Motorbeam, where they were explaining why the Harrier and Safari have not been crash tested yet. Though everybody at Team bhp would anyways be aware of this, but just went through the video and saw that Motorbeam cites that they researched on Team BHP amongst others to explain the reason for the same. Attaching link for reference. Fast forward to 0:57 seconds in the video for the reference.
puneetakhouri is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 8th July 2022, 17:32   #1328
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by puneetakhouri View Post
Motorbeam refers to Team-BHP as source for news

Just came across a video on Youtube from Motorbeam, where they were explaining why the Harrier and Safari have not been crash tested yet. Though everybody at Team bhp would anyways be aware of this
https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=xTPqjCXH1po
Noob question, wouldn’t an extra airbags help? Knee airbags for the driver.
Old 9th July 2022, 05:44   #1329
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechanto View Post

The GOLD completed 50,000 km, 40 months of ownership experience, a mixed bag of emotions. I thought this write up with help potential buyers, more so, people who are looking to buy used Harriers.
Awesome write-up for an awesome SUV. The newer version is sorted. Wishing you many more happy miles with the GOLD
gauravdgr8 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2022, 08:40   #1330
BHPian

Quote:

Such a good review Mechanto, I really love the way Harrier looks and it has a great road presence. As I had called in the other thread created by me on niggles, the only reason for me to not go for a TATA car is it's niggles and the amount of service center visits one should be prepared off. I really hope that TATA works on this area as there are many buyers like me who would want to own a TATA car.

With that been said, all the best for many more successful miles Sir.
vvivek85 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2022, 19:48   #1331

Quote:

Will I recommend Harrier to anybody - definitely Yes!, with a warning that - "Be prepared for multiple visits to the service center". It is still a great car.
Harrier is a true Flagship that Tata had launched in a while but it truly misses out with the competition especially when XUV700 is loaded with features. I too had an opportunity to drive a Harrier (TD vehicle) but it was poorly managed by the showroom guys. It had 25k km on the odo and had a clutch that takes all of my energy to push it down. But the moment I drove the car, it felt surprisingly stable. The Dynamics were on point as they evolved from the LR. Anyway good to see people have consistent opinions about the Tata Cars. More miles to conquer, Happy ride

Last edited by benbsb29 : 11th July 2022 at 05:03. Reason: Trimmed long post quote.
R_throttle is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2022, 06:51   #1332
BHPian

Pleasantly surprised to find wireless Carplay in the car. The software asks you if you want to choose wireless Carplay over connecting the device by wire, so there's no way to miss it if you have it.

Just for information, mine is a June 2022 manufactured XZA Single tone Orcus White.

Tata Harrier : Official Review-img_3640.jpg
elroydsilva is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2022, 10:37   #1333
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by elroydsilva View Post
Pleasantly surprised to find wireless Carplay in the car. The software asks you if you want to choose wireless Carplay over connecting the device by wire, so there's no way to miss it if you have it.

Just for information, mine is a June 2022 manufactured XZA Single tone Orcus White.

Attachment 2331832
What;s the software version in your Harrier? I am told that Wireless AA/Car play is software dependent and also Harrier variant dependent. Tata seems to playing spoilsport by not offering wireless feature in all variants.
Old 11th July 2022, 14:44   #1334
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
What;s the software version in your Harrier? I am told that Wireless AA/Car play is software dependent and also Harrier variant dependent. Tata seems to playing spoilsport by not offering wireless feature in all variants.
I checked the software version and it is Q5_R18.0.
elroydsilva is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2022, 12:34   #1335
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by elroydsilva View Post
I checked the software version and it is Q5_R18.0.
Thanks. My last software version upgrade was to R16.0. Does this mean that if the version is upgraded to 18, I should be able to get wireless AA. Or is the R18 only limited to top end variant and the Dark editions. Anybody got this version upgrade done and enjoying wireless AA??
ghodlur is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks