Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st May 2023, 18:08   #1411
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tata Harrier : Official Review

Has anyone hardwired a dual channel dashcam in a harrier? If yes, any recommendation for a good source in east Bangalore?
Old 20th June 2023, 11:11   #1412
Senior - BHPian

Couple of issues cropping up in my Harrier and at the right time.
1. One of the washer sprays on windshield seems to be not working whereas the working one is spraying till the door. Plus the rear washer spray is more of a trickle rather than a spray.
2. Juddering of the windshield wipers, suspect the motor, will need to take it to TASS. Even the rear wiper sweep operates only 90%.

Anybody else faced above issues in a Harrier?
Old 22nd June 2023, 11:20   #1413
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
One of the washer sprays on windshield seems to be not working whereas the working one is spraying till the door. Plus the rear washer spray is more of a trickle rather than a spray.
The sprays have been an issue for me since day one. Got it fixed at TASS, but I still don't like how it works. My Grand i10 has a much better spray cover. Learning to live with it.
elroydsilva is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2023, 11:28   #1414
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dass View Post
Has anyone hardwired a dual channel dashcam in a harrier? If yes, any recommendation for a good source in east Bangalore?
Hardwiring is not recommended if the car is in warranty. TASS creates a fuss when something goes wrong. Actually, when I was getting my dashcam, I met a guy who owned a Hexa, he came to me and told me not to hardwire since the service center created problems when their car had an unrelated electrical issue.

I was not planning to hardwire anyway though. The problem is that we always need to keep an eye on the dashcam to make sure that it is running.
elroydsilva is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th July 2023, 11:14   #1415
BHPian

Off late, my rear camera randomly shows issues. When it does, it's either of the following:
  • The video looks faded.
  • The video shows lots of flickering.
  • The video goes dark. Sometimes it's so dark, that it becomes totally useless.
Has anyone faced such issue? If yes, did you find the root cause or solution?

Thanks!
Old 13th July 2023, 11:26   #1416
Senior - BHPian

I have always noticed something about Harrier drivers, and I don't mean it in a demeaning way. In fact, I actually appreciate it. Most Harrier drivers drive the car peacefully and unhurriedly. I admire this calm driving style, which is in stark contrast to the senseless speed bursts and aggressive driving often exhibited by some similar brute SUVs from a company whose name also starts with a "T". I wonder what it is about the Harrier that keeps the driver so zen while operating their machine. This is just my observation from driving in Mumbai, but others may have had different experiences due to their prevailing traffic conditions.
sumeethaldankar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th July 2023, 14:11   #1417
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
I have always noticed something about Harrier drivers, and I don't mean it in a demeaning way. In fact, I actually appreciate it. Most Harrier drivers drive the car peacefully and unhurriedly. I admire this calm driving style, which is in stark contrast to the senseless speed bursts and aggressive driving often exhibited by some similar brute SUVs from a company whose name also starts with a "T". I wonder what it is about the Harrier that keeps the driver so zen while operating their machine. This is just my observation from driving in Mumbai, but others may have had different experiences due to their prevailing traffic conditions.
Spot on.

My buddy who has a '19 Harrier (manual) had his driving style change drastically after buying the Harrier. When he had his Amaze D. he would be a lane changing, lane splitting, overtaking, powershifting fluid moving maniac. Come the Harrier, he has become more civilised, calm, sticking to lanes. Not that he had changed, he had an '19 Octavia for last one month (when the Harrier was in the ASC) and he confessed that his driving got worse when he had the Octavia. Squeezing through gaps, hard overtaking et al.

Sadly, IMHO this is because the Harrier doesn't wrap around you. For a regular sized vehicle, you will feel the vehicle is more substantial that it actually is when driving. Add to that the engine tuning and controls don't help the cause either. It is best for highway cruising, a handful in other road condiitons. That is why most BHPians suggest going for the automatic. One less unpleasant stuff to worry about. The vehicles from the other 'T' or even the compatriot 'M' are far more involving. You feel in control of the vehicle, you can judge the vehicle's extremities and the engine tuning and controls make you confident and dare I say cocky. Hence, the irresponsible driving. My 2 paisa.
DicKy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th July 2023, 11:51   #1418
MaG
BHPian

On a lighter note, any damage to the car and it costs a bomb. Tata has started becoming a VW/Skoda in terms of spare part pricing
Quote:
MaG is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2023, 21:19   #1419
Senior - BHPian

Tata Motors silently recall Manual Harriers over gearbox mount bolt issue.

https://www.carblogindia.com/tata-ha...x-mount-bolts/
Nithesh_M is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th July 2023, 10:42   #1420
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nithesh_M View Post
Tata Motors silently recall Manual Harriers over gearbox mount bolt issue.

https://www.carblogindia.com/tata-ha...x-mount-bolts/
A quick call to TASS regarding the same resulted in the information that this is applicable for a few select engine/chassis vehicles and mostly applicable to 2023 manufactured vehicles. But good to reach out to TASS to check if one's vehicle need this bolt replacement.
ghodlur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th July 2023, 15:19   #1421
BHPian

Quote:
Most Harrier drivers drive the car peacefully and unhurriedly.
The important part here is 'Most Harrier drivers' and not all.

Here's something that happened a few days ago (actually the very next day the quoted post was written. I remember clearly since the 14th was my son's birthday when this incident happened). I went shopping at a nearby place and wanted to take a U-turn while returning back. The road was narrow, but thankfully it was a sparsely populated place on the outskirts of Bangalore. No other car in sight, I tried taking the U-turn, and had to reverse a bit due to the narrow road. There comes this guy in a Harrier about 60-70 speed. He looked like he was in a hurry. I imagined since he was at least 50 meters away and I was in the middle of reversing he would let me reverse for the last 2 feet that I needed. But no, he definitely wasn't braking for a car like Grand i10. Finally, had to bow to Lord Harrier and let him go.
elroydsilva is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th September 2023, 09:27   #1422
BHPian

Recently on a trip to Bengaluru, I had a flat. I got it fixed but the repair was not adequate and there was a slight leak and another fix also couldnt help. In came the Continental ContiMobilityKit that the harrier has in the boot. I plugged it in to the inflater (also came with the car) and filled air in the tyre. I should say, it was pretty amazing how the slight leak was sealed!! Its been 2 months and the seal is holding well. I highly recommend this if you get a flat and no puncture guys around or you dont have the time. Takes only about as long as it takes to fill air in the tyre. Please do use it if you can.

Not sure anyone else used this but the problem is that the bottle is single use and I am unable to find a replacement even in the SC. Could anyone source this from somehwere ?

https://www.continental-aftermarket....acement-bottle
Dinesh Chengalp is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th September 2023, 18:55   #1423

Hey Guys,

Delighted to update that I have purcharsed a Harrier XZ+ (MT) in dual tone color (Red+Black) in July from Kropex, Bangalore and have driven around 2500km so far with first service completed.

Wanted to pass down some of my experiences to future/prospective buyers of this amazing vehicle just as so many others have done before me

Brief background on the purchase decision:

1) Was in the market to purchase a car since last year but had to be delayed due to various reasons
2) Had been viewing reviews of many cars (in both sedan and suv space) especially on team-bhp (to whom i owe a great deal of gratitude) and many other car review websites
3) Zeroed in on Harrier because
-me and my family loved the looks and the spacious cabin
-features on offer were really good at the price point
-the positive reviews of the fiat engine
4) Points that were ignored
-the hydraulic power steering (will get to that later)
-fear of Tata service centres
-unreliability of Harrier itself (with so many horror stories in this forum as well)
5) Other cars that we considered -
-Compass : a tad expensive and didnt know about long term vision of Jeep in India
-Hector : With continuing struggles of MG in finding Indian partners, didnt know how long the brand will continue
-XUV : Loved the car but long waiting period and look-wise didnt appeal to the family.
-Grand Vitara : Family didnt consider it a big upgrade in cabin space compared to i20. Interiors were underwhelming
6) Took test drives of these vehicles but in the weeks leading upto the final decision, it always veered back to Harrier

Purchase
Paid booking amount of Rs. 21k at Kropex Sarjapur who promptly confirmed that there was a car matching our requirement with them and could be delivered in time for my son's birthday which made us doubly delighted
Got a fair deal for my 12 year old i20 from Kropex along with some discounts and we went ahead with the financial arrangement.
Car delivered on promised date and time and made sure that all registration formalities were completed before delivery.
No complaints on the dealership or the SA. Can be considered a pleasant experience

Driving experience thus far
Have driven 2500 kms so far - Around 1500 kms on Highway when I went from Bangalore to my hometown near Vijayawada and rest in Bangalore traffic

Positives :
1) Coming from a 2011 i20, the car does take some time to get used to. The size is immense and needs patience and practice
2) The 360 camera on the car is fantastic. Even in dim light it is pretty clear and has been a big help in tight parking spaces
3) The music system by JBL is pretty good and loved it during the long drive
4) The actual drive is also comfortable. Drove to and fro from Bangalore to Vijayawada and didnt feel really tired on either leg of the journey
5) Managed to get 14-15 kmpl on the highway (with econ mode) by driving between 80-90 kmph and steady driving
6) Getting average of 9-11 kmpl in Bangalore traffic.
7) The backseat is also a comfortable place to be although everyone is fighting for the front seat because they are ventilated
8) Noise level is also controlled and seems to have progessively come down. Could also be because I have got used to the car and the gear shifts have become smoother
9) Handles bad roads really-well. The suspension set-up although slightly stiff makes sure that there is enough confidence while going on bumpy village roads

Negatives
1) Hydraulic Steering - While its not as bad as some reviews have suggested, the fact that it is hydraulic makes it very light at high speeds. Had to correct myself a few times in the beginning as I tended to oversteer. I believe if Tata can somehow change this into Electronic Power Steering, their sales numbers will be much higher than what it is right now. I learnt driving on Maruti 800 in 2002 and so I dont mind it so much. But for people who have started learning on EPS cars, they would not like the way the car handles
2) The interiors could be better ( some cheap plastics have found their way into such a good cabin)
3) Service experience - Tata seems to have sold more cars than their service centres can handle. Had to wait for almost 3-4 days for an appointment slot to open up. Tata really needs to up its game in this department as I was really happy with Hyundai in this aspect. I could always drive into a Hyundai service station on the same day of the apointment call my issue would be addressed immediately and completely.
4) Had some issue in android auto a couple of times but it seems to have sorted itself out and havent had it since the service

Overall, while there was initaly hestiancy after reading and viewing various reviews regarding Harrier/ Safari I am more than happy with my purchase. It handles well in city traffic with decent mileage and the highway experience is mind-blowing.
Cannot wait to go out onto the highway once again with family in tow.

Thank you to all the Mods and the contributors to various threads who helped during this journey

A Proud Harrier Owner !!
Dcs99 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 7th September 2023, 21:55   #1424

Quote:
1. One of the washer sprays on windshield seems to be not working whereas the working one is spraying till the door. Plus the rear washer spray is more of a trickle rather than a spray.
2. Juddering of the windshield wipers, suspect the motor, will need to take it to TASS. Even the rear wiper sweep operates only 90%.

Nexon owner here - faced the juddering of wipers earlier when I was using
1. Are you using hard water/ tap water for the wiper tank? Maybe its the salt deposits that have reduced the nozzle flow? Maybe I am wrong
2. Sonax wiper wash fluid. It has now drastically reduced after using Proklear wiper fluid. You can try the same and see if it helps.
Old 18th September 2023, 14:26   #1425
BHPian

Quote:

Juddering is due to using plain water in windshield washer. Please use a windshield solution and there will be no problem
steadfast is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks