Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th May 2019, 18:47   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tata Harrier : Official Review

So what really is the issue with Tata Motors?

Ten years back when I bought the Safari, it's speedometer needle would also settle just above zero and below 10kmph at various points in time.

So, what is wrong, is it the way the part is designed (methodology), the part supplier's manufacturing process (same?), or what else?
rrsteer is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 14th May 2019, 20:40   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
If history is anything to go by, the initial Harrier owners will be the "guinea pigs" who will improve the Harrier for later owners. As is obvious from the review, the product has positive attributes, although there are a LOT of rough edges that need to be tied up. .
Considering the recent decisions by the Tata management, the guinea pigs will be rewarded. They would have some exclusive features of the initial batches which would be later deleted owing to "customer feedback".
Shreyas Agarwal is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 14th May 2019, 20:53   #48
Senior - BHPian

I do think it's a little bit premature to write off the Harrier's prospects only on the basis of the niggles identified in this (and other) reviews. There have been other cars launched with much worse niggles earlier (Yes, I am looking at you XUV500), which went on to be accepted in a big way by the Indian market.

However, what will make or break the Harrier is Tata Motors' response to these niggles w.r.t:

1. How fast they fix these problems in the near future, so that niggle free Harriers start rolling off the assembly line in a couple of months, and not 8-10 months later. This will ensure that the number of early adopters who face these issues in their vehicles are kept to a minimum. Easier said than done, though!

2. How satisfactorily their ASCs fix these problems (at least those that are fixable) in already affected vehicles, and how they treat their customers while doing it. If they nit pick and give excuses of not covered under warranty etc., take too long over the fixes, then that will sound the Harrier's death knell. This is what saved the XUV500 even with its plethora of teething issues, and there's no reason why it shouldn't work for Tata Motors.

Disclaimer: I am not a Tata fanboy, nor do I own any Tata vehicle. I am just an insignificant TML shareholder, trying to bring in a sense of proportion to the criticism of an otherwise brilliant product.

Cheers,
Vikram

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 14th May 2019 at 21:02.
comfortablynumb is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 14th May 2019, 21:02   #49
Distinguished - BHPian

What was the hurry Tata?

Instead of a 2019 launch, you could have made a 2020 launch with the niggles sorted out.

A Harrier launched with the following add on's, would have looked better-
AT
AWD
& a sunroof

I personally feel, Tata did a better job with the Nexon than the Harrier. Though Nexon is a segment lower, still my pick will be a Nexon over the Harrier.

In the Harrier segment, my choice will be the Jeep Compass!

When i test drove the Harrier, i felt it has better ride than my Duster AWD. I test drove it on a NH. Looks like i need to drive it again on some rough road and then come to a conclusion.

A pic from my TD day-
Tata Harrier : Official Review-50784575_2772203856184823_5706226066939445248_n.jpg

Last edited by Samba : 14th May 2019 at 21:08.
Samba is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 14th May 2019, 21:06   #50
Senior - BHPian

Saw 2 Harrier today and both were white. It looks awesome in white and Creta or Compass have no chance in front of Harrier when it comes to looks department. Hope they fix all initial inconsistencies soon.
Latheesh is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 14th May 2019, 23:44   #51
BHPian

Very well written and detailed review of a Car which could have been a lot better if Tata would have taken some time to iron out the niggles. The future batches should be alright with the Panel mismatches and the other issues resolved. The lack of an automatic gearbox will also be a deterrent for many whose primary use will be in the city. Saw a couple of them in Pune and they sure have road presence. All in all a very good effort from Tata.
Old 14th May 2019, 23:59   #52
Senior - BHPian

What a disappointment! While the 2020/21 cars may indeed have some of the niggles sorted out, there seem to be just too many. I have a feeling the car has been compromised to meet an unrealistic price target.

It's lucky it's a looker and that'll help sales but this is a huge missed opportunity.
McLaren Rulez is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 15th May 2019, 07:25   #53
BHPian

Brilliant review as always! The attention to details, that too across multiple cars, is mind-blowing.

Having said that, Tata has clearly rushed in an incomplete product. We argue about niggles (eg Honda City) but that's like nitpicking compared to this because the car otherwise is so damn reliable.

I hope Tata for their sake sorts these issues out ASAP. Otherwise the upcoming Buzzard will also be starting down a dark tunnel.
avdhesh15 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th May 2019, 08:17   #54
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
• Tata's after-sales service quality is a hit or miss. Remains a gamble
A serious Q - Is this still a concern in 2019? I feel I have been seeing this line being repeated for every Tata car review since the Vista and Indigo days. What's the current situation, especially across metros and Tier 1 cities?

On the street, I haven't heard negative feedbacks wrt to servicing from Tata dealerships; hence the Q. I know Tata definitely hasn't reached the levels of Maruti Suzuki, but then I doubt if any other brand will ever in this decade.
ninjatalli is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 15th May 2019, 09:39   #55
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
I do think it's a little bit premature to write off the Harrier's prospects only on the basis of the niggles identified in this (and other) reviews. There have been other cars launched with much worse niggles earlier (Yes, I am looking at you XUV500), which went on to be accepted in a big way by the Indian market.
Premature to write-off – absolutely agree!

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb
There have been other cars launched with much worse niggles earlier (Yes, I am looking at you XUV500), which went on to be accepted in a big way by the Indian market.
This thought process is probably the reason for our manufacturers to skip on the small yet significant aspects which can deliver that ultimate user experience. Instead, if they thought of a few minor things, the story would’ve been better:
  • Our key rival manufacturer launched a car in the same segment a few years back, and it had quite a few niggles. It is 2019 and we use all over expertise to ensure that those are not repeated.
  • We won’t make our initial customers as testers to improve our product.
  • We will ensure that our customers won’t feel short-changed on features when they do a comparison of this car with a cheaper model from our own stable (say when compared with a Nexon)

Its quite simple actually – Tata can easily be the light-man for quality automobiles from India; just that they need to up their standards a bit.
vb-saan is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 15th May 2019, 10:43   #56
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
That was a decade earlier. There were no similar cars/SUV's back then. It had some aces to cover up.

In my books, its unacceptable for any manufacturer to not have a sorted product from day one.

Do it once, do it right. Especially when they have very good products with almost no issues like the Nexon/Hexa. Even the product line is incomplete, no AT/AWD.
Sheel is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 15th May 2019, 11:11   #57
Distinguished - BHPian

My goodness, what a mind bogglingly detailed review of the Harrier by the Team BHP reviewers. Phew! All the expert reviews in the magazines combined with that of the semi professionals and amateurs video loggers on youtube cannot match the breadth, depth and fairness of the BHP official review.

Im glad to see that the Harrier is a lot better turned out today than it was when the car was first shown in Tata showrooms. Back then, I had posted some of my observations on the poor quality of the Harrier on display and received some flak from fellow Team BHPians for nit picking and finding faults where none existed. The current version seems to be a vast improvement but sadly lags behind in quality in several areas. I see very few Harriers in Cochin which is a city of car lovers and that tells me that Tata has probably still not streamlined production and deliveries.

Based on the few customer vehicles we spot in the city, my wife quite likes the look of the Harrier. After I finished reading the TBHP review, she was asking me about the details and couldnt believe that Tata has launched the Harrier without an automatic when they have a great setup in the Hexa (which we test drove and loved). I do hope that Tata pulls its socks up and gives us a much improved Harrier soon that can be the true game changer that it was probably destined to be. And then in a few years when I look to upgrade from my current hatchback, I can go for an Arizona Blue or a black (does Tata even have black cars anymore?) Harrier with all the safety bells and whistles.
neil.jericho is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 15th May 2019, 11:16   #58
BHPian

I think Tata really wanted to get the Harrier out there before products like Hector hit the shelves. We must also consider that timing is a very important factor and Tata must have thought "Well, if we can get it to the stage that XUV was or better ahead of time, we should be okay". From the review, which is as usual, excellent, I gather that for most people this should be good enough. I think if you put people (who are looking for a big SUV) in a situation of picking one of compass, which is well beyond 20L, XUV, which has been around for a while and the brand new handsome Harrier but with niggles, I am quite sure many will pick the Harrier. It's not like we have lot of options in the 15-20L SUV segment. So, a good car will just serve the purpose for the time being, as long as Tata can take good care of the early adopters.

The only real concern I see is the steering behavior. Is this something that can be fixed on the existing cars in future?

Last edited by prakash_ajp : 15th May 2019 at 11:16. Reason: spacing
prakash_ajp is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th May 2019, 11:23   #59
Distinguished - BHPian

Ever heard of this one commandment from God?

"thou shalt not acquire a new product until its niggles art sorted out, unless thou be a risk taker"

Early adopters of any product will always run the risk of buying a dud. Other buyers waiting behind in the purchase curve would await feedback from these initial risk takers. And yes, your risk mileage may vary. On the whole, that's the timeless dance undertaken by manufacturers, marketers, products and buyers - and this dance has existed in the time when Mozart played in the background and fires illuminated the banquet hall, and as well now when Childish Gambino's songs are played in the background to guide the writhing twerkers while lasers and strobe lights blind everyone.

It's not as if even the vaunted Crysta came without its share of niggles initially.

I very much like the Harrier when compared to the XUV 300 because it comes with a highly usable boot. It is much more practical that way. Moreover, it's a splendid looker and it looks so beautiful that Election Officials recently stopped one near my home to check for illicit cash on board.

Tata Motors has ever been our Rocky Balboa in the Indian automotive world. The Hexa's launch was when Rocky beat Creed. And the victory sequels have been coming in ever since. I am so happy for Tata. If they sort out all the QC issues in it, I don't see why I would ever look toward a Maruti or a Hyundai showroom if I were a potential buyer waiting in the wings.
locusjag is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th May 2019, 11:29   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
In my books, its unacceptable for any manufacturer to not have a sorted product from day one.

Do it once, do it right.
+1000

The customer paid you in full for the product. They deserve to get a complete, fully tested, niggle free product. Not a half baked one which becomes a constant nightmare for the buyer who is stranded in the middle of nowhere (like the instance above) now and then. Otherwise, if you have to use buyers as guinea pigs, hand them the cars for FREE and let them participate in your testing efforts and provide their feedback to you while you fix the issues.

I feel Tata has taken the early adopters of the Harrier for granted. Now the market forces will set things right for Tata.
rovingeye is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks