Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 6th June 2019, 10:25   #166
BHPian

Re: Tata Harrier : Official Review

On a similar note as above, I have owned only manuals all my life. Have driven AT's but not enough to get used to them.

What do I have to learn/unlearn to get used to an AT?
ihrishi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th June 2019, 10:52   #167
VVN
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihrishi View Post
On a similar note as above, I have owned only manuals all my life. Have driven AT's but not enough to get used to them.

Others can add more points but the most important thing for me was to stop thinking of the brake pad as the clutch. After driving manuals for close to 10 years, I shifted to the City CVT and it was a very weird experience for the first few weeks. I did not take the car out during the day and treated myself as an amateur and took it out on test runs post mid night. My left leg would reach out for the brake pad (thinking it was the clutch) as soon as I approached a speed breaker or a pothole and would end up braking hard. It took a few more days for me to get used to things. Apart from that, stop fiddling with the gear lever and just enjoy the convenience.
VVN is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th June 2019, 10:59   #168
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

After several years of driving a manual Punto, I bought a Jazz CVT. When you own a car / SUV with an automatic transmission after moving from a manual transmission vehicle, the main thing that you need to do is to force your left leg onto the dead pedal and make it ignore muscle memory. You might find your leg searching for the C pedal while driving as a force of habit from your days of driving a manual car.

Also if your left hand is usually by the gearbox (all too common in city conditions), you will have to "train" it to hold the steering wheel all the time with the automatic. This will gradually get your body used to driving an automatic transmission vehicle and unlearn the clutch shifting tendencies that our bodies memorize.
neil.jericho is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 6th June 2019, 11:02   #169
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

We already have a thread on tips to driving automatic cars.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...omatic-25.html (Tips on driving an Automatic)

Probably best to discuss it there
padmrajravi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th June 2019, 17:14   #170
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarik.arora View Post
Congrats on your acquisition and hope your ownership remains niggle-free.
Thank you my friend!

Quote:
On the MID FE numbers, please don't trust new age Tata vehicles. If you are keen on knowing the FE, calculate it Tankful-to-tankful. My Nexon shows 20% more FE on the MID, which means, if it is showing 20kmpl on the MID the actual FE would be ~16kmpl. I am assuming Harrier is also bitten by this bug. But anyways, 19.5 even on the MID is very very good.
Yes, I will do a proper tankful-to-tankful method after a couple of thousand kms.

Quote:
Since your car is from the newer batch, how is the NVH? Were you able to compare it with initial lot test drive vehicles?
Before I purchased my Harrier, I had taken 3 test drives on TD cars which were from January batch (I think). The noise and harshness are a lot lesser in my car (April make) compared to the TD cars. On the vibration front, my Harrier's steering vibrates a bit on idling when it is on Eco mode. The vibration stops the moment I put it on City/Sport mode. Gear lever does not vibrate on any modes.

Quote:
Please share your thoughts on the 'light steering' issue once you do a highway drive!
I did not find the steering to be 'light' on my highway drives. As I owned and drove a petrol Creta previously, I find the steering on Harrier to be just right for my driving style (usually I do not drive at 100+kmph on highways). I feel the steering needs some more effort to manoeuvre in city (read while parking) compared to the super light steering of Creta!

Last edited by Cruzerman : 6th June 2019 at 17:36. Reason: Spelling mistake and adding more quotes
Cruzerman is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 8th June 2019, 22:53   #171
Senior - BHPian

Somehow missed the official Harrier review until this morning!

Every single auto magazine and auto reviewer should look at the official Team-BHP review for reference! This is the benchmark by a huge margin. I do not think anyone should ever buy any car without ever reading the official review here! The detail is just beyond words! Thank you to the team which does this so diligently!

Coming to the Harrier, I think the post from GTO just sums it up. Tata could have done something phenomenal here. But it looks like the Harrier is not so. And Im surprised as to why the harrier is not at par with the Hexa and the Nexon in terms of consistency in fit and finish.

But the Harrier has presence and tons of it. And its priced well. But the real issue would be if the Hector and the Kia Seltos launch in the same price point. And it looks like they will. And then Tata has to respond. And I hope they do it super quick!
motorworks is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th June 2019, 14:54   #172
Distinguished - BHPian

Tata Harrier : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks;
But the real issue would be if the Hector and the Kia Seltos launch in the same price point. And it looks like they will. And then Tata has to respond. And I hope they do it super quick!

Based on early indications of pricing going on in the Hector thread, it looks like it will be priced much higher than the Harrier. The top end Variant of the Hector is likely to be priced at 27.5 Lacs on-road from what I could gather from that thread. Compare that to a top-end Harrier which retails at a little less than 20 lacs on-road, it would seem to me that the Hector is being placed 1-2 segments above the Harrier.

On an unrelated point, TAMO seems to be stealthily hiking the prices of the Harrier. At launch the ex-showroom price of the base XE variant was 12.69 lakhs, but now I cannot see any city where it is less than 12.99 Lakhs. The deceptive thing is that the headline of the page says "Harrier priced from 12.69 lakhs ex-showroom Delhi", but scroll on down the page, the Delhi pricing for XE is shown to be 12.99 Lakhs!

https://harrier.tatamotors.com/price

Similarly, the XZ variant was priced at 16.25 Lakhs at Launch and now it is priced at 16.55 Lakhs.

Bottom line, it appears TAMO has hiked the price of the Harrier already by 30K across variants.

Last edited by SDP : 9th June 2019 at 15:21. Reason: Fixed broken quote
84.monsoon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2019, 12:31   #173
BHPian

I went to check out the Harrier this weekend. We are considering it for my dad.
I wasn't able to TD the car, just checked out the car. Checked out the Copper and the Grey versions, i liked the Grey more, but my pick would be the White.
I liked the overall design, very butch and definitely has presence. The OVRMs are huge (as well spoken about), but i was of the opinion that this won't be much of an issue if careful.
The interiors were good, i liked the dashboard layout, materials used, overall look. I liked the central console design, but my wife found it cluttered for her liking. The rear was a notch lower in quality when compared to the front, but good nonetheless. The armrests seem to have been placed a little higher, i found it comfortable, my wife found it too highly placed, especially at the rear. I found the drivers seat adequate but car like. I would've preferred the seat squab to be a bit longer. The rear seat was good overall. The fit and finish was a hit or a miss, found the panel on inner front passenger door was bit off, rough finishing around the central console storage areas.
Coming to the reason for this post, I was facing the issue of the left knee fouling with the central console, i tried various seating positions but to no avail (I am 5'11" for reference). Do any of the Harrier owners face this issue and is there a way around this? Is it too uncomfortable during long drives?
Mukund is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2019, 16:41   #174
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mukund View Post
Coming to the reason for this post, I was facing the issue of the left knee fouling with the central console, i tried various seating positions but to no avail (I am 5'11" for reference). Do any of the Harrier owners face this issue and is there a way around this? Is it too uncomfortable during long drives?
Hi, I am also of the same height and while it does take a day or two to settle into your own driving position, I have not faced an issue with my left knee bumping into the centre console. And, it is a pleasure driving the car on the highway. I did a 2,500 round trip from Hyderabad to Coorg and did not face any discomfort of fatigue even after driving the car non-stop for 14 hours.
madhukriss is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th June 2019, 11:36   #175
BHPian

Harrier Prices Hiked

Tata has hiked the prices by 30,755Rs across variants.

Ex showroom prices Delhi.

Tata Harrier XE - Rs 13 lakhs

Tata Harrier XM - Rs 14.06 lakhs

Tata Harrier XT - Rs 15.26 lakhs

Tata Harrier XZ - Rs 16.56 lakhs

Source: https://www.carwale.com/news/tata-ha...ased-in-india/

Last edited by zaveed : 13th June 2019 at 11:45. Reason: Udated the correct URL.
zaveed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2019, 10:12   #176
BHPian

There is complete radio silence from Tata Motors on the Harrier automatic!
No leaks, no sneaky exclusives from the regular sources. Especially in the face of two major launches from MG and Kia!

They need to take a page out of the way MG has been communicating with potential customers.
Old 14th June 2019, 11:25   #177
BHPian

Tata hikes prices a day before MG Hector reviews came out. Speaks of their confidence and reiterates that HARRIER is having one of the longest waiting periods in the market.
https://www.cardekho.com/india-car-n...2019-23849.htm
Old 14th June 2019, 12:18   #178
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by damodar View Post
Tata hikes prices a day before MG Hector reviews came out. Speaks of their confidence and reiterates that HARRIER is having one of the longest waiting periods in the market.
[/url]
Hopefully that is justified. Looking at the early reviews the MG is a solid product. Couple that with a long and unlimited mileage warranty it *could* just turn the tables on Tata.

Personally, I just hope either of them launches a diesel automatic soon!
ihrishi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th June 2019, 18:08   #179
BHPian

I visited the the MG showroom today to see the Hector. Right after that I visited the TATA showroom to have a look at the Harrier also in order to have a comparison. I am no expert and whatever knowledge I have is acquired from this forum and YouTube. So I can only add my layman's perspective.

Disclaimer- I presently own a Santro. So everything in short was big and soft and comfortable for me. I was impressed HUGELY by both but here is my point of view.

The Hector first.

The showroom was spacious and nice. Full of people(around 20). The staff was well knowledgeable about the product and with aggressive marketing skills. Intrusive I would say. More on this later.

Exterior- it looks quite imposing. Big big vehicle. Very long but it looks short on height and narrow so it appeared rather disproportionate. The exterior is all bling bling chrome and white LEDs. That front grill is huge and so is the MG badge on it- said to contain a tracker device. The internet inside badge is crass. I will take it off the first thing if I buy it. MG badges in chrome on both sides. Excessive indulgence I would say. Wheels look smallish and secondly they are 225 section Goodyears. Alloy design is ok. Hector could have had bigger tyres. Overall a biggish but rather narrowish car.

Interior- as soon as you enter you are blown away by the panoramic sunroof. It is big, imposing and rather looks nice. But with outside temperatures touching 47 in summers I doubt its overall usability. The seats are rather soft. But the seat base length was short. Driving seat was comfortable. I adjusted quickly. But then I am only 5'8". How much effort would it take? The co-passenger seat was rather close by. The dash and inside had nice materials. The inside is dominated by the large touchscreen. It is supposed to control everything inside the car. I find the absence of physical buttons for essential features as a miss. The sales executive was hell bent on telling me its features. Rather than the vehicle and overall driving experience he was hell bent on telling me the features of the infotainment system. I jokingly said that you are trying to sell a Multi purpose stereo infotainment system with the car and engine as freebies. And surprisingly this was my overall impression also. The rear seat legroom though being spacious but the rear seat I found to be small. 3 abreast would be rather touchy and intimate as I found out with people trying to sit and squeeze in. So I got out.

The boot has an auto open function which was nice.

My final impression- I think of a vehicle as a piece of mechanical engineering. How it drives it feels it rides. How is it on road.
I would rather buy a home theatre system and attach it with Alexa rather than the Hector.

Not wanting to highjack this thread but the harrier was more spacious, comfortable and physically re-assuring. The sales guy had no idea and gave me free time to spend with the car. His words- ; sir gaadi bahut acchi hai. Baaki aap dekh lo". Just the way I like.

And now the Harrier.

Exterior- let me just say that a car has to look what it was designed and designated for. So an suv should look like an suv. The harrier looks very smart in person. Just like an xuv looks. Smart and handsome. Those drls look like the prancing eyes of a predator. Very well balanced and well proportional in all aspects. Not excessive chrome, purposeful and balanced design. One more thing- I had gone through the team bhp review thoroughly before this. Let me tell you - the vehicles on display an XZ and XT were April make and I DID NOT FIND ANY PANEL GAPS, any PROTRUDING OR MALALIGNED PIECES INSIDE OR OUTSIDE.

Interior- I like the heavy mechanical feel of the doors. The car is easy to WALK into. The materials are soft and nice. Leather and comfort all around. The passenger seat was a good arms length away unlike the hector. The centre console wide. The piano black piece on the handbrake was fixed like a rock and the lever felt like a single piece. I literally tried to pull it apart- sort of- the sales guy said- sir TATA ne sab complaints suna hai aur bahut kaam kiya hai. Ye nahi hilega. The tachometer needle rested on 0 when the car was off and came to it after switching off. The cabin shake was less than anticipated on start up. Good sound system. Even the stereo in XT without the woofer sounded good. Bass heavy though. I was able to find my perfect driving position in less than 30 seconds. Either because I am 5 8 or since coming from a santro I do not have HIGH STANDARDS.

Rear- if the front was good- rear was better. Felt like a sofa. Well contoured seats. Perfect seat comfort, good seat base and length. I called the sales guy in to sit and he was quite far off. Acres of space. The car is actually as wide as it looks.

The boot has an electromagnetic lock. Worked well.

Test drive- as I have mentioned- because of my humble beginnings, I found the car to be performing very well. The engine and suspension were good. With my limited experience I was happy.

However I revved the car beyond 3000 rpm in the gears. There was no noise. Silent. At 3500 I could hear the drone but if you switch on the stereo it will be drowned. Perhaps the front bass heavy nature helps mask this up. Even the vibrations were nil to much less than anticipated as per the review. Hell less than my santro. But then again I would rather blame my lack of experience in finding the finer nuances.

Overall the Harrier looks much smarter. Drives well. Has goooood space. Not as cramped as the Hector. The fit and finish are better now.

These are my personal opinions. I was not impressed by the Hector. Would rather wait for harrier to iron out its niggles further as it seems I have made up my mind. Any corrections from senior members is welcome .

Last edited by SDP : 16th June 2019 at 18:47. Reason: typos and formatting corrected
knrn is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 17th June 2019, 14:07   #180
BHPian

Had an opportunity to do a short test drive of the Tata Harrier this weekend.

Few observations are below. Note, I do not have Nikki Lauda like skills to be able to measure a car in a jiffy!

+ves:
- Presence. Although I am not a big fan of the front view, I love its profile and rear views. Has great presence.
- Big car, but not as difficult to get in and out.
- Commanding driving position with great all-round visibility. In fact the bonnet is visible as you drive. Good NVH levels.
- Back seat is as big as a football stadium. Space available in acres!

-ves:
- I was not in a comfortable position while driving, my left leg was fouling with the dashboard. More on it below.
- Depressing dealership staff. They seemed sad that somebody had walked in and asked for a test drive, disturbing them on a weekend.

Regarding dashboard fouling with left leg through out the drive. I sat in, pushed the seat a little forward (closer to the steering wheel), just the way I do it in other cars. I tend to sit closer to the steering wheel. To start the car, I had to depress the clutch. I tried, but couldn't depress it fully. I pushed the seat further down. I felt I was too short to be driving this car. And then finished the TD. Parked and as I tried to get out, I had to squeeze out of the car. I was sort of stuck between the steering wheel, which was right on my lap, the edge of the front seat almost in-line with the steering wheel. Its only when I got out, that I had realized how close to the steering wheel was I sitting.

Also, the TD car was a top end variant, costing upwards of 21L in Bengaluru. And its state as I observed is as below. Nope, this was not a case of TD car maintenance, but more to do with part quality.

The leather layer on the gear lever worn away:

Tata Harrier : Official Review-img9542.jpg

The aircraft cockpit styled hand brake's piano black finish worn away:

Tata Harrier : Official Review-img9543.jpg

I just could not close the sun glass holder in the display car in the dealership. It was broken or the part had failed, I am not sure.

Tata Harrier : Official Review-img9540.jpg

Last edited by OrangeCar : 17th June 2019 at 14:09.
OrangeCar is offline   (28) Thanks

Most Viewed