Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th August 2019, 13:26   #391
BHPian

Re: Tata Harrier : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillsnrains View Post
Seltos doesn't come with panoromic sunroof.
Understood. Noted with thanks. Still a bigger sunroof than the aftermarket peep hole through the roof.
Old 29th August 2019, 23:45   #392
Vmv
BHPian

Sunroof fixed in Harrier.
The white colour car comes with a plastic type material, if the same comes with a glass top then ,
No idea about how the owner is going to maintain the same in future , rain - Heat- sound - rigidity

Second the Calisto copper Harrier with authorised webasto sunroof.
It looks small to harrier, a black wrapping will help ?

Source : https://www.rushlane.com/tata-harrie...18889.html/amp
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Harrier : Official Review-tataharriersunrooflaunch.jpg  

Tata Harrier : Official Review-tataharriersunroofdetailsprice2.jpg  

Vmv is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th August 2019, 11:45   #393
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
What you won't:

• Feels like a work-in-process beta version. Several rough areas are yet to be sorted out
Thanks to Sai Eshwar Reddy for sending this information in. Heartfelt gratitude for sharing it with other enthusiasts via this Team-BHP page!

Quote:
I’m an auto enthusiast (self-proclaimed) and I follow Team-BHP regularly. So, I have a bit of knowledge about cars and am better than average buyers in deciding the cars to buy. I’m into the civil contracts business where it’s an unwritten rule that we should only use BIG cars. Coming to my usage, 70% is on highway and 10% would be offroad (not hard core). So, I needed a safe SUV and with a budget of 20 lakhs, my choices were limited to the XUV, Harrier and Compass.

One of my friends own a first-gen XUV and I’ve driven it extensively. On the highway, it was like a roller coaster ride. No matter how much the car has evolved in the recent years, it didn’t connect with me. The Compass diesel basic version was in my budget, but when I compared it to the Harrier, the space it offered was really less and the ride quality was a bit harsh. So, I pretty much zeroed down on the Harrier and informed my friends about my decision. 5 out of 6 people I discussed with suggested not to buy Tata cars and all the 6 people said it was better to buy an Innova Crysta or a used Fortuner. But I turned a deaf ear to their suggestions as I had used an Innova before and wanted something new. I didn’t want to go for a second hand vehicle. So, the Fortuner was off my list.

As I needed a car in my hands quickly, I approached two dealers - first one was Concorde Motors. I seriously felt like I was in a rich-looking government office. No one really cared why I was in the showroom. After 10 minutes, a sales guy came to me and asked me which car I was looking for, gave me a Harrier brochure and disappeared in a flash. After fiddling with the brochure for 5 minutes, I had a few doubts. So, I called the sales guy again, but he didn’t come to me even after 10 minutes. I was so irritated with the attitude that I stood up and was about to leave when he came back and apologized for the delay and asked me directly when I was purchasing the vehicle. I was in no mood to talk to him, so I said I was planning it in the next week and left the place. He took my number before I left.

Next, I went to Malik Tata. This showroom was near my home and this time, I was well prepared and had no intention to ask anything to the sales guy. But, to my surprise, the sales guy here was very proactive and cleared many doubts, arranged a TD very quickly and asked me when I was booking the car. I told him that if I get a good price, I would book it right away. He went to his manager and discussed something very, very deeply, came back to me and said that they are offering only 10k discount on the Harrier as they didn’t have any stock and they needed to order the car. So, there was not much discount on such bookings. I was OK with it as I didn’t hear much about discounts on the Harrier. When he went to his manager, I was casually going through the feature list and saw that the XM variant had all the features that I needed except for additional airbags. The business guy in me didn’t want to spend even a single penny unwantedly. So, I went ahead and booked the vehicle. I said to that guy while booking that I needed a car which was manufactured after May (thanks to Team-BHP forum). I had repeated it 3-4 times and he said, "Sir, you will get June manufactured vehicle. Pakka." Fast forward 3-4 days, my finance got approved and I went for the PDI. To my shock, it was a May manufactured car. I calmly said, "I need to talk to your senior about this" and his manager came to me and said, "Sir, I’m sorry about this small miscommunication, but Tata has sorted all the issues now and even the May manufactured vehicles, which come out of the factory are updated in the factory. So, you will not face any problem. I went there after a hectic day and I thought it might be correct and said, "OK". I went to the car and cross-checked using Team-BHP PDI sheet. Everything was ok. I told the salesperson that I wanted to drive the vehicle once just to make sure everything is fine. He said, "Sir it’s already too late. We have done the PDI twice. Everything is OK. I said it was OK, made the payment and said that I would take delivery the next day at around 12-1 pm. I asked him to keep all the paperwork ready before I reached the showroom.

I had some work at our head office, so I took the delivery at around 5 pm. The delivery process was OK, but nothing special considering it was Tata's flagship model. The salesperson asked me to wait for 5 minutes as there was some issue and they could not process temporary registration work. Those 5 minutes became 50 minutes and I became angry. The manager came again and told me to take the car home and said that he would give me the TR by nighttime. I asked him if it was ok to take delivery without a TR number and he said. "It’s OK Sir. We have a TC number. Nothing will happen. I said to him that I needed to take the car 70-80 km next day morning from my home to a temple to get a puja done. So, I need the TR by night at any cost. He said OK and I started for home. On the way, I observed that the steering was hard and had many vibrations. I called the sales guy and informed him to which he replied that it was a new car it would be hard for the first few kilometres. They didn’t provide me the TR number that night. So, my program got cancelled. I did the puja in a temple near my home. They provided me the TR next day afternoon.

Next morning, I started for my workplace, En route, I thought I'd show my new vehicle to a good friend of mine who had suggested me not to buy a Tata car. He owned a Tiago and used it for some 40k km. Still he had suggested not to go for a Tata car. That time I argued with him that Tata has changed a lot, it’s an Indian manufacturer, bla bla bla. I wanted him to know that Tata products today are at least as good as their competitors. So, I went to his house and gave him the keys for a quick drive and when he was pulling the door handle, the cap came loose and fell down. It was a really embarrassing situation. I took pics and sent them to the sales guy and told him about the issue. He told me to bring the car to the service centre, but as I had already started and it was not that big an issue, I continued. While on the highway, I felt something was wrong and the steering was really vibrating too much and there were some sounds coming from the dashboard. My work site is 350 km from Hyderabad. After traveling around 200 km, I showed it to a mechanic and he said that the dashboard was misaligned (only God knows how and why), and that the sound was coming from the loose front reading lamp. Then I understood why almost all of them were against a Tata car. He fixed the reading lamp issue, but said to me that dashboard needed to be opened to fix the misalignment and asked me to do that only in the showroom. I obliged and started again for my work place and was back in Hyderabad in 2 days. The odometer had already clocked around 1,000 km and the steering sound had increased. So, I gave it for the first service and the floor manager promised to resolve all the problems. There were many issues with the car.

-> It was making some sounds when I pressed the clutch suddenly and when I took the foot off the accelerator.
-> Music system worked fine sometimes and made noises sometimes.
-> Rattling sounds here and there.
-> XM variant comes with manual AC controls. They were loose.
-> All the door handle caps were loose. I asked them to do something about it as I couldn’t collect the falling parts every time.
-> Steering made weird noises when I turned it to the left or right. Asked them to fix it too.

The car was in the service centre for 3 days and I was told that the steering pump was the culprit. It was replaced and everything was fine. Regarding the AC button issue, I was told that it exists in all XM variants and they couldn't do anything about that. If that is true, then I can confidently say that the Hyundai i10 has better fit and finish than this car.

As the puja programme in the temple had got cancelled due to the TR issues, my family members planned go to Tirupati and get the puja done again over there. I went to pick my grandmother who lives some 20 km from my house. It was drizzling that day and all of a sudden, the wipers stopped working. I got to my destination slowly and called the service centre floor manager who sent a team to check the vehicle. They checked it and the wipers started working after removing and putting the fuse back again. Note that they did not put in a new fuse - they just removed the old one and put it back again. The technical guy told me not to use the wipers at max speed as there was some problem with wiper motor and he would order the part and replace it in 3-4 days. My family members cancelled the program again as they felt that the wipers may fail again and cause a big headache out on the highway.

I went to my work site again after a week and the steering issue was back within 500 km after replacing the steering pump. After I was back in Hyderabad, I took the car to the service centre. I was told that they will need to keep the car again for 2-3 days. We had planned for a long trip, so intimated them about our plans. They assured us that we could safely go as it was not really a big thing to worry about. They promised me that they will get the car niggle free this time after our trip.

We started our trip after a few days and all these incidents didn't inspire confidence about the product. I was so worried that even for small sounds, we slowed down on the highway and turned the music system off to check that the sounds were not from our car. On the second day of our trip, suddenly a new issue cropped up. The infotainment system stopped working. There was no problem for 2,000 km and it stopped working suddenly. Even the reverse sensors wouldn’t work. I called the service centre guy and informed him to which he asked me to take the car to nearest service centre. I thought of taking it next morning and to my surprise, everything was fine and infotainment system was working like a charm. I thanked my stars and moved on. The next day, the same thing happened again. The infotainment system stopped working and this time, it was like a Windows 98 PC. It literally froze. Even after I had removed the key and locked the car it was showing the same screen (it didn’t even turn off).

I'm still on the trip and will come back on Sunday. After I’m back from the trip, I will give the car to service centre and will wait for their reply patiently. The clutch and accelerator sounds are still present. Can any owner please confirm if it’s normal.

I’m a 25-year-old guy. This is the second car I’m using. If Tata cannot instil confidence in young people like me, I wonder how they are changing and how they want to appeal to a younger audience.
Tata Harrier : Official Review-img_2105.jpeg

Tata Harrier : Official Review-img_2106.jpeg

Tata Harrier : Official Review-img_2114.jpeg

Tata Harrier : Official Review-img_2329.jpeg

Last edited by Aditya : 30th August 2019 at 13:09.
Aditya is offline   (79) Thanks
Old 30th August 2019, 12:28   #394
Distinguished - BHPian

Looks like the pricing for DARK EDITION is leaked. Its priced on par with XZ DUAL TONE by the looks of it. If thats the case then worth it for the interior changes it offers. Authenticity of that is not known though. May well be speculation!

Although I have my reservations about such a huge beast in all black standing in open parking in our summers. Won't be surprised if some of internal plastic parts melt!

Link - RushLane article
Old 30th August 2019, 13:18   #395
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
Looks like the pricing for DARK EDITION is leaked. Its priced on par with XZ DUAL TONE by the looks of it.

Link - RushLane article
Scroll down to the Source in the Rushlane post and it redirects to Team-BHP News. Here is the link to the forum discussion.
blackwasp is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 30th August 2019, 13:20   #396
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
Scroll down to the Source in the Rushlane post and it redirects to Team-BHP News. Here is the link to the forum discussion.
Nice. Drawbacks of reading things on a mobile & posting in hurry! I'd see a sloth if I saw a mirror right now!
Old 30th August 2019, 13:33   #397
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks to Sai Eshwar Reddy for sending this information in. Heartfelt gratitude for sharing it with other enthusiasts via this Team-BHP page!
This is really not an inspiring experience. Its more than 6 months since Harrier launch. I think, we have a few fellow BHPians who own Harrier. Would like to request them to share their experience as well. Had they experienced any of these issues?
Sreejith V is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th August 2019, 16:44   #398
Senior - BHPian

This is not a good news.
I was surprised at "Regarding the AC button issue, I was told that it exists in all XM variants and they couldn't do anything about that. If that is true, then I can confidently say that the Hyundai i10 has better fit and finish than this car. ". Isn't it an obvious thing? i10 may be a small car but Hyundai's level of fit and finish was always superior.
Guna is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th August 2019, 23:42   #399
Vmv
BHPian

Dark edition teaser is out.

But unless an until the existing issues are not sorted, this is going to be tough.
Competition is getting stronger and stronger. Tata is not utilized the capabilities and looks of the Harrier and it was poor execution by other departments

Regarding the above issue faced by the owner, we recommend you to send a mail to TATA regarding the experience. That may help.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Harrier : Official Review-capture_20190830234008.png  

Tata Harrier : Official Review-capture_20190830233955.png  

Tata Harrier : Official Review-capture_20190830233916.png  

Vmv is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 31st August 2019, 08:47   #400
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
That must have been a big downer after buying a new car! However, I'm a bit surprised that an auto-enthusiast actually took a car costing around INR 1.7M on road, without doing a PDI? Really perplexed! I did a PDI when I bought an Alto for god's sake! I had tracked my Vista (9 years ago) and Nexon this month right from the VIN, manufacturing date & transit from factory on a daily basis. Did a PDI before the car was marked for registration & had agreed formally with the dealer that I'll reject and ask for a replacement if I found any flaw. It was all agreed without a single argument so the dealerships are quite okay in these aspects. On par with most others. I'm sorry but I'm going to also hold the customer as partially responsible for the frustration to himself. It surely was careless on his part.
All of the issues reported could have been identified at a PDI - a pre registration inspection rather - and he could have asked for a different piece! Highlights the importance of why we BHPians insist on PDIs and ask our friends to do those as well.

I don't think this is a manufacturing quality issue. The car is surely abused at dealer level or during transport. Lapses there. I think Tata Motors doing away with its logistics arm & supplying on its own from the factory directly might bring better control here.

Last edited by Reinhard : 31st August 2019 at 08:51.
Reinhard is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 31st August 2019, 09:56   #401
BANNED

Quote:
That must have been a big downer after buying a new car! However, I'm a bit surprised that an auto-enthusiast actually took a car costing around INR 1.7M on road, without doing a PDI?
He had done a PDI with the team-bhp PDI list as mentioned in the quoted section. I think the mistake he did was, believing the words of the salesman and manager about the May manufactured cars. But these issues are so surprising. The dashboard clearly is not correctly fitted. That piece of plastic which is protruding out should have been concealed inside the other piece. Looks like the dealership has tinkered with it for something or other.
pavi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st August 2019, 10:10   #402
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Sai Eshwar Reddy updates that "I got calls from Tata, one from local servicing centre and another from head office". So I guess the resolution should be expedited.

Nevertheless, I stand by my original position. If I were to buy a Harrier, I would do so only in 2020 or even better, 2021. They have launched a "beta tester" in the market and the issues aren't going to disappear overnight.
GTO is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 31st August 2019, 10:23   #403
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Just sad, really sad. Everyone of those issues indicates a lack of quality control and just no proper process.

Everytime I see one on the road, it's a head turner and warrants a second glance. However I also try to look at the driver to see how frustrated he is and imagine all the issues he must be facing in a few months old car. It's like having pity on him for buying such a nice looking car but facing all the niggles on that nice looking car.

The door handle cover falling off when showing the car to a naysayer was just like the last thing you would want.

I think the HArrier needs a back to the drawing board and V2.0 proper redux and not just silent updates or updates as per media feedback.
Vid6639 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 31st August 2019, 10:48   #404
BHPian

No wonder sales of Tata Harrier are languishing. Word gets around and the lackadaisical attitude of the Quality department is not helping. Met an ex Tata executive who said that only target for purchase team is price. Quality is secondary. He said at one time the current head of quality signed of on a car which had no engine just to meet production targets. Its evident from the quality glitches on the new car which is a downer. Hexa too is not being pushed lest it cannibalise Harrier sales. Tata Motors is a mess and a sinking behemoth.
Palio_2005 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2019, 10:48   #405
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
That must have been a big downer after buying a new car! However, I'm a bit surprised that an auto-enthusiast actually took a car costing around INR 1.7M on road, without doing a PDI? I'm sorry but I'm going to also hold the customer as partially responsible for the frustration to himself. It surely was careless on his part.
Please read his post once again before passing a judgement. He has clearly mentioned he did the PDI as per the TBHP list. The driving part was left due to circumstances described by him. His mistake was only that he trusted Tata to do their part. Yes PDI has a role but there are issues which cannot be picked up during a PDI. Moreover things like a detailed PDI are known to only a small % of car buyers (like BHPians). Most people want to enjoy the experience of delivery and buying after paying the full amount for the car. Incidents like these are not so common with other brands compared to Tata. No wonder we still have that glaring remark in every Tata Review - " After sales and vehicle QC can be a hit or a miss".

Quote:
B]All of the issues reported could have been identified at a PDI[/b] - a pre registration inspection rather - and he could have asked for a different piece! Highlights the importance of why we BHPians insist on PDIs and ask our friends to do those as well.
If he would have driven the vehicle, the steering issue might have cropped up ot might not have. As a PDI drive would only be for a limited distance. Rest everything reported by him like ICE freezing, Wipers not working, parts falling off would not have come up in the PDI.

Quote:
I don't think this is a manufacturing quality issue. The car is surely abused at dealer level or during transport. Lapses there. I think Tata Motors doing away with its logistics arm & supplying on its own from the factory directly might bring better control here.
Dealer abuse can lead to a misaligned dashboard? Plastic covers falling off door handles? Wipers not working due to a fuse box issue? How and to what level can a dealer misuse a car to bring up such issues? To me this clearly looks like a sub par quality control that is followed by Tata.

Tata has been trying to improve but reports like these ensures that many won't risk putting so much money and time in the brand.
drmohitg is offline   (23) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks