Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 5th February 2020, 12:48   #886
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tata Harrier : Official Review

As I expected the last year's XE XM and XT variants now sit at last years XM XT and XZ prices respectively with the changes being the BS VI engine and ESP as standard and a repositioned usb slot.

Last year's XZ is now 1.3 lakhs up on previous model. Is there any feature addition here? Do the new wheels come as optional here atleast?

The new variant is the XZ+ that has all the things people asked for including the nicer looking alloys but sits at 23+ lakhs OTR Bangalore and the Automatic top end is nearly 26 lakhs OTR as per Carwale calculations.

If the XM and XMA didn't look like a cabbie version i.e, XE then Tata could have lured some buyers there.

Last edited by Sheel : 5th February 2020 at 14:01. Reason: Capitalising BS VI for better readability.
Nithesh_M is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th February 2020, 12:19   #887

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhukriss View Post
Hi, I have a Feb 2019 manufactured Harrier XZ and have actually not faced any of the issues that have you have highlighted from Aditya's review. In the past 10 months I have had a couple of instances where the MID went blank but it got back to normal after switching off the engine for about 15 minutes and staring it back again. So, you can rest assured that many niggles that were reported have been taken care in the post May manufactured units.
I have(on the company name) a Nov 19 manufactured Harrier Dark Edition. Had seen a similar problem wherein some of the icons(radio) of the MID freezes and the speakers don't work. I just need to switch off the car, wait for a few minutes and start again.

Apart from that there has been a few visits to the service center, primarily due to the lack of detailed PDI - from my side as well as the dealer. I did a detailed inspection before it was taken for regn.,but had to send somebody else to pick it up for dely.

1. The rear bumper garnish was obstructing the door closing sensor. Fixed it
2. Brake gives a metallic noise when it is applied slowly. I had a detailed discussion with the Service folks and they were of the opinion that it would go off after 1k KM or so. However, I am really not trusting that and has got me worried. Has anybody else got this issue?

3. One of the tweeters was not connected properly. It became apparent only when talking to somebody and not really when listening to music. Got it fixed too.

Apart from these, it is a really great handler, especially on the highways.
fluke is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th February 2020, 13:07   #888
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluke View Post
2. Brake gives a metallic noise when it is applied slowly. I had a detailed discussion with the Service folks and they were of the opinion that it would go off after 1k KM or so. However, I am really not trusting that and has got me worried. Has anybody else got this issue?
is it like a low pitch grinding noise? Maybe a video recording would help? Also, did you take the senior SA and technician on a drive to show them? That usually helps.
Old 6th February 2020, 14:27   #889
BHPian

I haven't noticed anyone specifically pointing it out, but based on the videos I have seen, it seems the new Harrier still has drum brakes on the rear wheels and disc brakes on all 4 wheels is reserved only for Gravitas. Is that correct ?
TORQUE_AANJANEY is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th February 2020, 15:39   #890
BHPian

I was all glued to the Harrier launch yesterday. Called up KHT and asked them the timelines. As per them, booking price is 11k and the bs6 vehicles will be available for test drives later this month. The reason I hadn't TDed Harrier earlier was the lack of auto. Now that it is there, I thought let me atleast TD the manual version
So, colleagues from office and I TDed the harrier..
Sadly we weren't happy.
The OrVMs blocked a major view for me driver side. The 2nd gear just didn't have enough torque to pass speed bumps and the vehicle wobbled in bad roads at low speeds.
My colleague Shyam has been an owner of both the safari and the manza. Even he drove and was uncomfortable with the gears.
I know that the harrier 2020 has more power, and may be the TD vehicle that I got wasn't good. So, have asked KHT to help me with another TD once the 2020 vehicle comes through.
For now, still sticking to the Hector
realactivex is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th February 2020, 17:48   #891
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by realactivex View Post
For now, still sticking to the Hector
I am pretty sure you will not stick to Hector if you do the test drive of Harrier. No comparison at all.

Build Quality - Advantage Harrier
Design - Advantage Harrier
Safety - Advantage Harrier
Performance and drive - Advantage Harrier
Suspension - Advantage Harrier
Convenience of Auto - Advantage Harrier
Not being labelled as a buyer of a Chinese marquee - Advantage Harrier
Roadster17 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 7th February 2020, 15:21   #892
BHPian

Harrier BS6 is now equipped with DPF and DEF(Diesel Exhaust Fluid- Urea).
- To regenerate DPF, Harrier needs to be run at 60km/h in 3rd gear for like 20 mins(any high rpm and high speed for 20 mins). People going for automatics will need to do that too, maybe every 15-20 days depending on usage.
- DEF tank is of 15 litres. So DEF will be finished when approx 750 litres of diesel has been consumed (approx 2% of diesel is used), so almost at 7,500km(FE of 10 kmpl) or every service interval of harrier(which is 7500 km)

From amazon US, I see that DEF could be around rupees 170 per litre. So effectively at every service of Harrier at 7,500 km; 2500 rs(15 litre) needed for DEF top-up.

Can someone let me know what is the approx cost of DEF per litre in India. Amazon India showed more than Rs 1,000 per litres !!!

- Wherever BS6 diesel might not be available, people need to be very careful before buying diesel as Harrier manual clearly says Sulphur shouldn't be more than 10 ppm in diesel. BS4 diesel has around 50 ppm of Sulphur.

Snips from harrier BS6 manual attached:
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Harrier : Official Review-har1.jpg  

Tata Harrier : Official Review-har2.jpg  

Tata Harrier : Official Review-har3.jpg  

Tata Harrier : Official Review-har4.jpg  

SahilS is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th February 2020, 16:05   #893
BHPian

There are some more variations in BS4 vs BS6 as per the user's manual sourced from the official website

BS4

Alternator Capacity is 110 amps and Ground Clearance is 176mm

Tata Harrier : Official Review-bs4.jpg

BS6

Alternator Capacity is 150 Amps and Ground Clearance is 153mm

Tata Harrier : Official Review-bs6.jpg
beast_within is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th February 2020, 16:23   #894
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SahilS View Post
- Wherever BS6 diesel might not be available, people need to be very careful before buying diesel as Harrier manual clearly says Sulphur shouldn't be more than 10 ppm in diesel. BS4 diesel has around 50 ppm of Sulphur.
A quick google search tells me that BS6 diesel is only going to be available from April onward. That too will be in a phased manner. It is also clear that running a BS6 vehicle with BS4 diesel will have negative implications.

In that scenario - does it even make sense to buy the harrier right now?
Confused!
ihrishi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th February 2020, 16:52   #895

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihrishi View Post
It is also clear that running a BS6 vehicle with BS4 diesel will have negative implications. In that scenario - does it even make sense to buy the harrier right now?
Confused!
Hi! Dear, coming from a layman's perspective, if Seltos BS 6 is not having any problem then Harrier BS 6 might also face none. I see a huge number of Seltos is plying around my neighborhood where BS6 fuel is currently not available. This reason alone should not prove deterrent to your upcoming purchase. As far as availability of BS6 grade fuel in your city is concerned, I am sure Pune will be among priority list of Oil companies for BS6 supply.

Quoting from Kia Seltos Owner’s manual, “Diesel engines must be operated only on commercially available diesel fuel that complies with EN 590 or comparable standard. (EN stands for "European Norm"). Do not use marine diesel fuel, heating oils, or non-approved fuel additives, as this will increase wear and cause damage to the engine and fuel system. The use of non-approved fuels and / or fuel additives will result in a limitation of your warranty rights.”

EN590 Sulphur content specification (% wt.) – 0.20 - Source:- Google Search.

Best Regards,

Last edited by A_KP : 7th February 2020 at 17:03. Reason: Further Information Added
A_KP is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th February 2020, 17:11   #896
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SahilS View Post
Harrier BS6 is now equipped with DPF and DEF(Diesel Exhaust Fluid- Urea).
- To regenerate DPF, Harrier needs to be run at 60km/h in 3rd gear for like 20 minutes
Does not sound right. On a lighter note, wondering how to drive at 60 km/hr for 20 minutes in bangalore.
thetank is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th February 2020, 18:11   #897
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihrishi View Post
A quick google search tells me that BS6 diesel is only going to be available from April onward. That too will be in a phased manner. It is also clear that running a BS6 vehicle with BS4 diesel will have negative implications.
Its an extremely valid question. I don't think BS4 fuel affects the BS6 engine. Else, Seltos diesel wouldn't be running on the road right now.

I strongly suggest you take this up with the Sales Executive. Also, tag TataMotors on social media like FB, Twitter, etc.

How was your TD?
vk007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th February 2020, 18:13   #898
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_KP View Post
Hi! Dear, coming from a layman's perspective, if Seltos BS 6 is not having any problem then Harrier BS 6 might also face none. I see a huge number of Seltos is plying around my neighborhood where BS6 fuel is currently not available. This reason alone should not prove deterrent to your upcoming purchase. As far as availability of BS6 grade fuel in your city is concerned, I am sure Pune will be among priority list of Oil companies for BS6 supply.
Thanks - but there needs to be some more clarity from Tata on this. The reason being; one of the reports said Kia has mentioned no detrimental effect on the BS6 engine running BS4 diesel. While Hyundai (and Tata as said in the above thread) has mentioned that running BS6 engine on BS4 diesel will impact the vehicles.
Hence the confusion.

Mods: Apologies - trying to figure out how to multi-quote.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vk007 View Post
I strongly suggest you take this up with the Sales Executive. Also, tag TataMotors on social media like FB, Twitter, etc.

How was your TD?
Contacting them on social media is a good idea indeed. Will do that.
Regarding the TD - they do not have any clarity yet and are maintaining a deadline of early next month as of right now.

Last edited by ihrishi : 7th February 2020 at 18:18. Reason: Multiquote
Old 7th February 2020, 18:15   #899
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetank View Post
Does not sound right. On a lighter note, wondering how to drive at 60 km/hr for 20 minutes in bangalore.
if you figure it out, please do share the route
Old 7th February 2020, 23:21   #900
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetank View Post
A lot of cars with DPF+SCR need this. You need this drive cycle for effective regeneration else the DPF gets clogged up.

This is a big reason why BS6 diesels are not suited for city and better for highway.
Vid6639 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed