Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd September 2022, 18:34   #181
GTN

Re: Maruti WagonR : Official Review

Hi folks! I have christened my Wagon 'Gandalf The Grey'.
Gandalf/Gandy has completed 4400 kms as of today. Here's few updates.

Accessories:
Mud flaps, Body side mouldings, Art Leather Seats, Leather wrap for steering wheel, Rubber mats, Sun screens and Blind spot mirrors.
Total Cost ~ 25k
I can't find the invoices for each individual item but that is about the total amount I spent.

1st Free service @ Varun Motors, Hyderabad:
Nothing to write home about. Went during a busy day and it took 5 hours for them to do the servicing. And the car looked dirtier than when I left it. ( It had rained for a while and the car had accumulated lot of dust in the yard by the time I collected it.) I was charged Rs.207 for the service.

2nd Free service @ Varun Motors, Hyderabad:
Much better experience. The car was shiny and clean when I collected it. Gandalf threw some warning lights related to AGS between the services. I had it scanned and they said there was no issue at present and cleared the codes.
I must mention that the battery mounting was loose fitting right from the Factory and it eventually came loose. I had to get it tightened. It might have caused some of the issues I faced during that time. I have not faced any issues since.
Charged Rs.207 for the service.
I also bought (The agent convinced me to buy ) their Customer Convenience package for Rs.1062, which supposedly covers Engine damage due to negligence and water damage etc.

1st long drive/trip:
I took Gandalf to my hometown and back earlier this month. It was 1460 km total, out of which around 900 km was pure two lane highway. Rest is a combination of rural, town and single lane roads.
I drove between 60 and 100 kmph on the highway, probably averaging 80.
Rest of the trip it was between 40-80 kmph, averaging 60.
I got a combined mileage of 21+ kmpl for the total trip.
Purely on highway, I got 22+kmpl. Wasn't expecting this kind of mileage, as the engine oil hasn't been changed yet and the mileage I get in the city is between 12 and 14kmpl depending on the traffic conditions I drive.
Was pleasantly surprised and extremely satisfied. The 1.2 L KN engine seems to be tuned for mileage in Wagon R. Not sure if the same engine gives similar mileage in Swift/Dzire.
The Car was very easy to drive on highways (Needs a firm grip on the steering wheel though) and local roads. Didn't face any issue with ground clearance or pickup. Engine easily cruises between 80-100 kmph. Didn't push beyond that.
I did hit some deep cracks on the highway which sent some bone jarring thuds. I hope it doesn't mess up the suspension. Gandalf got quite a few scrapes, scratches etc., during the trip, on account of narrow roads, intruding tree branches. Wish I had the reverse camera installed. Didn't feel the need for it in the city but it would have come in handy in the narrow lanes, while reversing.

Overall, I am very happy with my purchase as it covers all the bases for me. The 1.2 L with AGS is a breeze to drive in the city and handles the highways quite well. Acres of interior space and humungous boot (I was able to fit one large and two medium sized luggage suitcases in the boot, stacked on top of each other with space left on the side for cabin bag and few more items. The same were a tight squeeze in the previous gen Creta.)

I did think of upgrading the rubber to 175/185 section but decided against it as the wheels are already at the extreme edges and I think any wider tyres would slightly protrude to the sides and probably affect the handling. I am using pure nitrogen air now and it has improved the ride by 20%.

Only negative points I can think of are:

1. Headlights: Not good for night driving at all. Purely for city driving/in well lit roads.
2: Steering wheel: 'Dead' is the right word. Very little feedback from the road. It does weigh up at highway speeds but that's about it.
3. Entertainment unit: Less said the better. Similar to stuff offered a decade back in decent cars. Only 2 speakers as well.
4. AGS Unit/Gearing: The AGS though very convenient, doesn't have the gears tuned to my liking for city drives. The 2nd gear doesn't slot in until like 20 kmph, 3rd until 30 kmph. 4th and 5th are fine. I find myself in 1st and 2nd gears more than I would like to. I would have been in 3rd gear in the same traffic conditions if I were driving manual. That is my main gripe with the car. I would get better mileage as well, driving manual in the city.

Recent pic after 2nd Service:
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti WagonR : Official Review-gandalf.jpeg  

GTN is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2022, 20:22   #182
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTN View Post
I find myself in 1st and 2nd gears more than I would like to. I would have been in 3rd gear in the same traffic conditions if I were driving manual. That is my main gripe with the car. I would get better mileage as well, driving manual in the city.
This is exactly what I felt while trialling out the various AMT hatchbacks, without exception, including the supposedly smooth Hyundai Nios. It was as if AMT was limiting the city driveability which is an irony considering its very raison-d'etre.
fhdowntheline is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2022, 20:35   #183
GTN

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhdowntheline View Post
This is exactly what I felt while trialling out the various AMT hatchbacks, without exception, including the supposedly smooth Hyundai Nios. It was as if AMT was limiting the city driveability which is an irony considering its very raison-d'etre.
Yep. But what can we do? AMT is the cheapest option. CVTs cost more and I don't think they will keep well in the long run (apart from Honda and Toyota). Driving in 1st gear till 18kmph is not ideal. It should move to 2nd gear soon as the vehicle starts moving/hits 5kmph and keep it in 2nd until it comes to a stand still. I hope/wish Maruti takes some feedback and provides an update to the AGS system. Just have to live with it I guess. I don't think I can go back to regularly driving manual in the city again.

I would drive off from 2nd gear in my old Fiat Palio 1.2. It's a pain to wait for the 2nd gear in the AMT to engage in the city traffic. Manual mode doesn't help either. It just won't shift until you reach the set speed for 2nd gear .
GTN is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2022, 21:50   #184
BHPian

Quote:
My Wagon is a 1.2 Zxi AGS(AMT). So, I won't be doing any gear shifting, other than using Manual mode for quick overtakes, if needed. But, I will keep these points in mind.
The circular meter above current gear indicator shows the RPM.
Old 25th September 2022, 22:00   #185
BHPian

Guys,.i am told by the dealership in Chennai that Wagon R AGS has a waiting period of minimum 3 months due to chip shortage. However manual is readily available. Is this correct?
Old 28th September 2022, 08:28   #186

Quote:
Originally Posted by contentedbloke View Post
Guys,.i am told by the dealership in Chennai that Wagon R AGS has a waiting period of minimum 3 months due to chip shortage. However manual is readily available. Is this correct?
Yes. It is indeed correct. Have booked the Wagon R Zxi Plus AGS in Mumbai. Waiting period quoted is 10-12 weeks for AGS variants.
rayvonnee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2022, 14:56   #187
BHPian

Hello everyone,
one of my close friends owns a 2021 Wagon R and he wants to upgrade his LED headlights,
a quick google search doesn't return any good results.
Has anyone upgrade the stock headlamps to LEDs on their Wagon R?
Old 6th January 2023, 13:40   #188

Hi guys, I happened to accidentally discover today that in case the co passenger is belted and the driver is not belted then the seat belt alarm doesn’t go off in my WagonR (2021 Model).

Just wanted to confirm from other WagonR Owners if this is a design defect by Maruti or has some sensor of my car gone kaput.

Note- All observations were tested within my Apartment Complex and Seat belt should be worn at all times.
Old 6th January 2023, 13:56   #189
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aadi2700 View Post
Hi guys, I happened to accidentally discover today that in case the co passenger is belted and the driver is not belted then the seat belt alarm doesn’t go off in my WagonR (2021 Model).

Just wanted to confirm from other WagonR Owners if this is a design defect by Maruti or has some sensor of my car gone kaput. .
Do you mean the alarm remains on? Then how would that be a design defect? For the alarm to go off both driver and copassenger must have their seatbents on.
Old 6th January 2023, 15:12   #190

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Do you mean the alarm remains on? Then how would that be a design defect? For the alarm to go off both driver and copassenger must have their seatbents on.
Apologies if I was unclear. What I meant to say is that in case the co passenger and driver are unbelted then the alarm starts ringing obviously but if now the co passenger puts his belt on while the driver remains unbelted the alarm stops buzzing and the seatbelt sign on the instrument cluster also disappears. While ideally it should keep buzzing if either person is unbelted as observed in all other cars.
Old 6th January 2023, 15:57   #191
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aadi2700 View Post
Apologies if I was unclear. What I meant to say is that in case the co passenger and driver are unbelted then the alarm starts ringing obviously but if now the co passenger puts his belt on while the driver remains unbelted the alarm stops buzzing and the seatbelt sign on the instrument cluster also disappears. While ideally it should keep buzzing if either person is unbelted as observed in all other cars.
Yes then my bad, I didnt understand what you meant. If you dont get a warning with the driver seatbelt unbuckled, most probably the sensor wire has been removed. Did you get seat covers installed? Mostly they would have disconnected the sensor cable or it would have got disconnected due to some object stuffed under drivers seat.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2023, 15:47   #192
BHPian

Quote:
... I had to go for Zxi as MS doesn't provide AGS in Vxi any longer . Wagon R is no longer a budget hatch, as the top end Zxi plus is ~ 8.4 lacs on road in Hyderabad.

I could've bought old stock zxi or vxi ags, but I wanted the new 1.2 KN engine with ISS and hill hold assist which are not available in the previous versions.

Is VXi AGS still unavailable? In the latest brochure from marutisuzuki website, VXi AGS is listed.

Last edited by mohan41 : 18th February 2023 at 15:47. Reason: spelling correction
Old 31st March 2023, 22:57   #193
BHPian

I am taking the delivery of the new WagonR ZXI+ AGS in Magma Grey Colour on April 5.
I am confused about the accessories to get installed from MGA.
WagonR owners please help.
Old 15th April 2023, 21:32   #194
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrivingNirvana View Post
I am taking the delivery of the new WagonR ZXI+ AGS in Magma Grey Colour on April 5.
I am confused about the accessories to get installed from MGA.
WagonR owners please help.
If you are still getting the same accessories as 2020 AGS, get the (a) carpet, (b) foot lights & boot lights (remember to connect them with door light centre console), (c) rear low height LED strips connected to light stalk, (d) better brighter bulbs possible without relay (e) bumper moulding or scratch films indtead of moulding (f) spoiler (g) door visors (h) llumar pp60 or air series

That should cover almost everything.
dvl666 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st May 2023, 10:20   #195
BHPian

Quote:
Hi folks! I have christened my Wagon 'Gandalf The Grey'.
Gandalf/Gandy has completed 4400 kms as of today. Here's few updates.

Accessories:
Mud flaps, Body side mouldings, Art Leather Seats, Leather wrap for steering wheel, Rubber mats, Sun screens and Blind spot mirrors.
Total Cost ~ 25k
I can't find the invoices for each individual item but that is about the total amount I spent.

1st Free service @ Varun Motors, Hyderabad:
Nothing to write home about. Went during a busy day and it took 5 hours for them to do the servicing. And the car looked dirtier than when I left it. ( It had rained for a while and the car had accumulated lot of dust in the yard by the time I collected it.) I was charged Rs.207 for the service.

2nd Free service @ Varun Motors, Hyderabad:
Much better experience. The car was shiny and clean when I collected it. Gandalf threw some warning lights related to AGS between the services. I had it scanned and they said there was no issue at present and cleared the codes.
I must mention that the battery mounting was loose fitting right from the Factory and it eventually came loose. I had to get it tightened. It might have caused some of the issues I faced during that time. I have not faced any issues since.
Charged Rs.207 for the service.
I also bought (The agent convinced me to buy ) their Customer Convenience package for Rs.1062, which supposedly covers Engine damage due to negligence and water damage etc.

1st long drive/trip:
I took Gandalf to my hometown and back earlier this month. It was 1460 km total, out of which around 900 km was pure two lane highway. Rest is a combination of rural, town and single lane roads.
I drove between 60 and 100 kmph on the highway, probably averaging 80.
Rest of the trip it was between 40-80 kmph, averaging 60.
I got a combined mileage of 21+ kmpl for the total trip.
Purely on highway, I got 22+kmpl. Wasn't expecting this kind of mileage, as the engine oil hasn't been changed yet and the mileage I get in the city is between 12 and 14kmpl depending on the traffic conditions I drive.
Was pleasantly surprised and extremely satisfied. The 1.2 L KN engine seems to be tuned for mileage in Wagon R. Not sure if the same engine gives similar mileage in Swift/Dzire.
The Car was very easy to drive on highways (Needs a firm grip on the steering wheel though) and local roads. Didn't face any issue with ground clearance or pickup. Engine easily cruises between 80-100 kmph. Didn't push beyond that.
I did hit some deep cracks on the highway which sent some bone jarring thuds. I hope it doesn't mess up the suspension. Gandalf got quite a few scrapes, scratches etc., during the trip, on account of narrow roads, intruding tree branches. Wish I had the reverse camera installed. Didn't feel the need for it in the city but it would have come in handy in the narrow lanes, while reversing.

Overall, I am very happy with my purchase as it covers all the bases for me. The 1.2 L with AGS is a breeze to drive in the city and handles the highways quite well. Acres of interior space and humungous boot (I was able to fit one large and two medium sized luggage suitcases in the boot, stacked on top of each other with space left on the side for cabin bag and few more items. The same were a tight squeeze in the previous gen Creta.)

I did think of upgrading the rubber to 175/185 section but decided against it as the wheels are already at the extreme edges and I think any wider tyres would slightly protrude to the sides and probably affect the handling. I am using pure nitrogen air now and it has improved the ride by 20%.

Only negative points I can think of are:

1. Headlights: Not good for night driving at all. Purely for city driving/in well lit roads.
2: Steering wheel: 'Dead' is the right word. Very little feedback from the road. It does weigh up at highway speeds but that's about it.
3. Entertainment unit: Less said the better. Similar to stuff offered a decade back in decent cars. Only 2 speakers as well.
4. AGS Unit/Gearing: The AGS though very convenient, doesn't have the gears tuned to my liking for city drives. The 2nd gear doesn't slot in until like 20 kmph, 3rd until 30 kmph. 4th and 5th are fine. I find myself in 1st and 2nd gears more than I would like to. I would have been in 3rd gear in the same traffic conditions if I were driving manual. That is my main gripe with the car. I would get better mileage as well, driving manual in the city.

Recent pic after 2nd Service:

Hi My cousin is just about to pull trigger on a WagonR Zxi and would like to know what is the real world Mileage in City

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks