Team-BHP - Maruti WagonR : Official Review
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Official New Car Reviews (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/)
-   -   Maruti WagonR : Official Review (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/209662-maruti-wagonr-official-review-5.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by joshisd (Post 4643895)
We test drove the new WagonR Zxi AMT, and is on the top of my short list. Primarily intend to use for daily commute to office (Bangalore), and weekend travel within city.
My wife has concerns on rear seat that it may not be comfortable on bumpy/bad roads, and does not like the small arm rests either.
Appreciate if you can share your family experience in back seat, and any after-market remedies possible?

The rear seats of Wagon R shall be comfortable enough for travel within the city, which is your intended use. Such drives are usually within an hour of duration.

Yes, the arm rests on the rear doors are small. I don't see any aftermarket accessory for rear armrest. But you can keep two soft pillows in the car. Take these pillows on the lap and rest your hands on them. Compared to any fixed accessory, this will offer more versatility and flexibility.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rahul Bhalgat (Post 4644055)
The rear seats of Wagon R shall be comfortable enough for travel within the city, which is your intended use. Such drives are usually within an hour of duration.

Yes, the arm rests on the rear doors are small. I don't see any aftermarket accessory for rear armrest. But you can keep two soft pillows in the car. Take these pillows on the lap and rest your hands on them. Compared to any fixed accessory, this will offer more versatility and flexibility.

Thank you! It is a sensible suggestion to use pillows for support. :thumbs up

Hi Guys,

I have been waiting eagerly for the launch of this car and, frankly am bitterly disappointed with Maruti. Not with the shape, not with the performance but with the unbelievable cost cutting and the ridiculous pricing.

I have been driving a WagonR for the last 17+ years.
Started with the First Gen MAV (The best of the lot with reclinable rear seats) in 2002. Followed this with the Second Gen F10D in 2008 and currently have a Third Gen 2013 K Series (the most lifeless/rubbish engine I have ever driven) which has run only 23.k Kms in 6 years and 3 months.

In 2013, I paid Rs. 5.12L for my current WagonR Vxi with ABS and Single Driver Side Airbag and Reverse Sensors. That's all that was available at the time. Six years down the line, Maruti are asking for a hefty Rs.6.52L for the "New" Wagon R. An increase of Rs. 1.40L! And what do I get? A bigger engine and 1 additional airbag. Difference in cost of the bigger engine is 20K and another 7k for the airbag. Oh! and a touchscreen system which I couldn't be bothered about anyway. Approximating a cost of 23k for the ICE (with no CD player and only 2 speakers), that means I am paying about 90k for the extra space especially as in the last 6 years, I have used the boot in anger maybe 2 or 3 times max so that is not a big deal to me. Not really a VFM proposition.

The question now is whether it's worthwhile putting 6.5L down for this car. The jury is still out on this one.

Regards,
SS

Quote:

Originally Posted by suzuki san (Post 4651480)

... currently have a Third Gen 2013 K Series (the most lifeless/rubbish engine I have ever driven) which has run only 23.k Kms in 6 years and 3 months.

In 2013, I paid Rs. 5.12L for my current WagonR Vxi with ABS and Single Driver Side Airbag and Reverse Sensors. That's all that was available at the time. Six years down the line, Maruti are asking for a hefty Rs.6.52L for the "New" Wagon R. An increase of Rs. 1.40L! And what do I get? A bigger engine and 1 additional airbag. Difference in cost of the bigger engine is 20K and another 7k for the airbag. Oh! and a touchscreen system which I couldn't be bothered about anyway. Approximating a cost of 23k for the ICE (with no CD player and only 2 speakers), that means I am paying about 90k for the extra space especially as in the last 6 years, I have used the boot in anger maybe 2 or 3 times max so that is not a big deal to me. Not really a VFM

Why are you considering the WagonR in the first place?? New WagonR is not just a refreshed version with some cosmetic changes. It is a whole new platform with 1.2L engine (solving your lifeless engine problem) and more space. If none of these matter to you, maybe another car should be on cards.

Besides, inflation alone is 6-8%, so a car increasing costs by 5% p.a. is not bad.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ani_meher (Post 4651484)
Why are you considering the WagonR in the first place?? New WagonR is not just a refreshed version with some cosmetic changes. It is a whole new platform with 1.2L engine (solving your lifeless engine problem) and more space. If none of these matter to you, maybe another car should be on cards.

Besides, inflation alone is 6-8%, so a car increasing costs by 5% p.a. is not bad.

Being a "healthy" 5'11" is the only reason for my considering the WagonR and why I have been driving various models of this car for 17 years. I trotted off to Nexa today to check out the Ignis. Hated the rear three quarter section. Not a bad car though. Ingress and egress was not as easy as my Waggie. Otherwise, it checks all the boxes except the space. Also because of the smaller width, rear seat can comfortably seat only two methinks. 7.9L on road. A lot of money for a small hatchback. So, for 1.40L more than the new WagonR, I am getting alloy wheels, reverse camera with adaptive guidelines, decent sounding ICE with 4 speakers and 2 tweeters, day/night auto IRVM, DRL's, push start, electronic folding ORVM's.

Now I am confused.

regards,
SS

Quote:

Originally Posted by suzuki san (Post 4652166)
So, for 1.40L more than the new WagonR, I am getting alloy wheels, reverse camera with adaptive guidelines, decent sounding ICE with 4 speakers and 2 tweeters, day/night auto IRVM, DRL's, push start, electronic folding ORVM's.

If the Waggie's space isn't an absolute MUST - the 1.4 Lakhs for the Ignis are justified. The goodies are surely worth that difference. You can try for outside insurance etc to bring down that difference even further you know. Ignis sure looks unique & doesn't just get lost in the crowd. Has that exclusivity about itself certainly. Something a WagonR can't even dream of.

Quote:

Originally Posted by volkman10 (Post 4652269)
Speculations of this test Mule:
- 7 seat WagonR
- Stingray version of WagonR
- Nexa bound XL WagonR - Crossover >
Spied with 15" alloy wheels as in the Ignis.

Would look swell with 15" alloys surely. Not sure if blank would look good though. The wider and lager overall WagonR does deserve 15" wheels. Selling that through the NEXA would be another joke in the line of selling Ciaz, XL6. Faster than expected, NEXA is becoming "ARENA + Stickers".

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackwasp (Post 4595648)
Ride & Handling

Changing to wider and stickier rubber should make a big difference to the WagonR’s dynamics.

I believe a wider tyre will help improve just the cornering ability of the car, everything else goes for a toss. A wider tyre is going to ...

>> Add un-sprung weight, probably 2 Kg per wheel and that too at the circumference, multiply this by 7 at speeds above 80 - this is like carrying one more person in the car in terms of dynamic weight addition. Also adds stress on suspension components.

>> Will degrade acceleration and fuel efficiency.

>> Increase the stopping distance as the wider wheel has more built-up inertia. Nowadays we see less of front-end collision and more or rear-end crashes as people could not stop in time.

>> Return to zero after taking U-turn will also suffer.

>> Risk voiding the warranty of the car as some guys will put a 5.5J alloy when stock setup is 5J !!

>> Risk scraping the inside of the wheel well when taking a u-turn

>> Risk messing up the EBD configuration which will then trigger the ABS either too soon or late, thus risking safety.

Please comment

Quote:

The question now is whether it's worthwhile putting 6.5L down for this car. The jury is still out on this one.
SS

Think in terms of resale value, a Wagon-R offers a great value proposition to the cab segment pre-owned car buyers.

Then think BS-VI versus BS-IV - soon there is going to be a glut of pre-owned BS-IV / BS-III vehicles for sale within the next 6 months as people realize that their car's expiry date is just few years away, many will find no buyers and will have to scrap their vehicles on completion of 15 years.

Also, expect a price rise of 40K when any existing BS-IV car becomes BS-VI complaint.

I sold my 5 year old Celerio AMT and have booked the top variant of Wagon-R 1.2 AGS. This is what sealed the deal for me in favor of Wagon-R even though the price was 85K more than the top variant of Celerio.

1> Raised seating - Ease of ingress/egress, better view of the road and less glare from oncoming vehicle headlights. Nowadays every monkey on the road, including two-wheelers, drive with high-beam headlights even when roads are sufficiently lit.

2> A-pillar angle of Wagon-R is greater than any other car thus lesser blind-spot.

3> Loads of luggage space! Just flip the back seats forward and I can fit 2 Activa scooters inside :uncontrol

4> Electrically folding mirrors will allow me to squeeze through tight spots

5> 7" ICE screen offers Google maps so I don't have to fiddle with my mobile when I need navigation.

Quote:

In 2013, I paid Rs. 5.12L for my current WagonR Vxi with ABS and Single Driver Side Airbag and Reverse Sensors. That's all that was available at the time. Six years down the line, Maruti are asking for a hefty Rs.6.52L for the "New" Wagon R. An increase of Rs. 1.40L! And what do I get? A bigger engine and 1 additional airbag. Difference in cost of the bigger engine is 20K and another 7k for the airbag. Oh! and a touchscreen system which I couldn't be bothered about anyway. Approximating a cost of 23k for the ICE (with no CD player and only 2 speakers), that means I am paying about 90k for the extra space especially as in the last 6 years, I have used the boot in anger maybe 2 or 3 times max so that is not a big deal to me. Not really a VFM proposition.

Well in a like-for-like comparison, the new WagonR actually feels better in comparison for what you paid back in 2013. Why I feel so -All these considered - the new Waggie actually makes more sense than the previous generation as VFM. My 2cents.

I test drove the AMT 1 2 L today and fell in love with it. I was going to exchange my old 2012 Wagon R for the spresso. But I changed my mind. I fell in love with the new Wagon R all over again.

I wanted to buy the vxi o Amt. Because I don't like to have unnecessary things like rear defogger , rear wiper, fog lamps etc. The only thing I will miss was the touch screen navigation.

I was a bit disappointed, but i see that Maruti has given a smart play dock option . This is such a beautiful thing . we all carry cellphones anyway. Why have a separate display on the car.

Booked my Pearl white 1.2L AMT Vxi(o) Wagon R today. I am so glad that I made the right choice after much churning. I will miss my outgoing Wagon R. But I am too lazy and too old and too scared not to have AMT/ABS/EBD.

The Maruti Suzuki WagonR achieves two stars for adult occupant protection in Global NCAP tests.

Name:  1.PNG
Views: 4260
Size:  85.2 KB

Here is the video of the said crash test.

https://youtu.be/l9jfu25uJrI

Guys, I need advise on what options do I have besides the WagonR CNG. I own a 2015 WagonR which I'm planning to replace with the latest model but after reading the Excellent review (thank you Blackwasp) and this thread I'm in a dilemma. I need a CNG car for city driving, average running per day is 80kms, i would've snapped up the WagonR without any 2nd thoughts had they offered it in the 1.2L CNG version. Even the colours offered in the CNG version are limited to White, Grey and Silver. I fail to understand Maruti's marketing strategy for their highest selling car :(

Quote:

Originally Posted by Narcos (Post 4686103)
Guys, I need advise on what options do I have besides the WagonR CNG. I own a 2015 WagonR which I'm planning to replace with the latest model but after reading the Excellent review (thank you Blackwasp) and this thread I'm in a dilemma. I need a CNG car for city driving, average running per day is 80kms, i would've snapped up the WagonR without any 2nd thoughts had they offered it in the 1.2L CNG version. Even the colours offered in the CNG version are limited to White, Grey and Silver. I fail to understand Maruti's marketing strategy for their highest selling car :(

I personally don\'t feel CNG is the future for the long run in city use PV. Its a 2015 car that you have. Just 4 years old. Why do you want to change it? Any big problems? If not - the WagonR you have is a good car already. Does most things right & easy on pocket.

If I were you & CNG city use is my requirement, I\'d stick to that existing car for another 3-4 years. During this time, good products & infrastructure would start popping up around us. And then I\'d go for a small EV directly. No more CNG.