Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 17th March 2020, 12:37   #151
BHPian

Re: Honda Civic : Official Review

Apparently, auto locking is not available on the civic. However, there is a button on the driver side door to lock/unlock all doors.
Old 17th March 2020, 20:45   #152
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
Other Points

• Doors auto-lock at 20 km/h as you move along. They also auto-unlock when you switch the car off (or engage "P" in the AT)! This is highly undesirable in theft-prone India. Makes us worried.

Some how I was optimistic that the feature will be present since it was covered in formal review.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 17th March 2020 at 22:43. Reason: Fixed quote.
Old 17th March 2020, 22:40   #153
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzwithme View Post
Some how I was optimistic that the feature will be present since it was covered in formal review.
I don't understand you like the feature or feature is missing and you don't like it ? I have this feature in my crv and I find it very useful. I have configured it to unlock when engine is switched off and not when you move to P . Very happy and find it very convenient and safe. Wish my brio also had it or could be retro fitted.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 17th March 2020 at 22:44. Reason: Fixed broken quote.
Old 17th March 2020, 22:55   #154
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by M00M View Post
I don't understand you like the feature or feature is missing and you don't like it ? I have this feature in my crv and I find it very useful. I have configured it to unlock when engine is switched off and not when you move to P . Very happy and find it very convenient and safe. Wish my brio also had it or could be retro fitted.
Sorry, if I created any confusion. I would definitely like to have this feature. Can not imagine if this is omitted in Civic. Even my previously owned City had this.
Old 18th March 2020, 06:41   #155
BHPian

I agree that this is a feature I really miss and don't really understand why it's been eliminated. The review says the doors autolock at 20kmph - does that mean the feature was discontinued in a later production run? Mods, do yo think it would be a good idea to add an edit there saying the features seems like it's been deleted?

Last edited by kauphylover : 18th March 2020 at 06:41. Reason: Typo
Old 19th March 2020, 14:35   #156

Speed sensitive door locking is not available in Indian variant. Also, there is no menu setting to enable the same as opposed to US variant. However, there are separate door lock buttons (both on driver and passenger side) to manually lock all four doors. This was a surprise ommission which I discovered after buying the car last year in March.
Apart from lack of this basic feature, there are no compaints from the car. Have driven around 12000 km in past one year and have been fairly impressed by sharp handling and excellent suspension set up. City Fuel economy varies from 12.5 to 13.5 KMPL and highway around 17-18 KMPL. Being a CVT , you need to use paddle shifters for quick highway overtaking. Fortunately, no cabin rattles have cropped up in past one year of ownership.
Atul Parashar is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st March 2020, 17:51   #157
BHPian

Out here in Australia, there has been a gradual - but steady - decrease in Honda sales. Much of it is attributed to lack of innovative products & lower perceived product quality. I had owned one of the last top quality Honda's sold here - a 2011 Honda Accord Euro - and IMHO Honda's current line up is far cry from those days. This is with the strict Consumer Protection laws Australia has. God save the Indian consumer buying the grossly overpriced Honda cars. In related news:
MaddyCrew is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2020, 01:32   #158

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzwithme View Post
This is not at all audible from cabin, but can be detected once you come near to the bonnet(cannot be detected in a noisy environment) in complete idling state. They recorded the sound and shared with Honda who clarified and assured that there is no issue as such.

Can anyone help me with the configuration of auto locking of doors with speed please? I have tried lot of options but so far no luck and some how I am developing a notion that this feature is not available in my car.
Initially, I too faced little noise (While below 3000km) which gradually has grown to be something that is audible even with music on(Close to 9000km). I eventually got a response form Honda's National customer relations head Mr Parampreet Singh who told me things ranging from "I hear noises because I drive the car in silent conditions" to "The car develops noise only at speeds of 140kmph and above". Funny because they claim to have driven the car at these speeds in Shimla. I have video recordings rattling even at 20kmph that the dealership has sent to Honda and is mentioned on record.

Eventually, I filed a consumer case against the dealership and the company as they have failed to rectify the problem and are now denying existing any such problem even though their technical advisors have given me in writing that the problem has been observed and reported to Honda.

Till date there has been no further response even though I had been amply clear that if Honda assures me in writing that they will rectify the problem I will withdraw the consumer case. But dealership manager tells me Honda wants to get rid of the stock before the problems become public. Local dealership now has non Civic on display or test drive because they don't want any local issues with Shimla being a small city.

As regards to the speed sensing lock, I was told about the feature during presale, after the sale and in fact the sales person asked me bring in the car to have the lock fixed since I reported that it was not working. After 3 months they told me the function is not there in the car. Although if you check the owners manual, on one page it says the feature is country specific and on another it says it is a default setting. Have also claimed for the same in the consumer dispute since I have call recording of the sales person confirming the feature.

Finally, do check the total amount you have paid to the dealer and the total amount in the Invoice. While filing the consumer court, my lawyer pointed out that I have paid the full amount as per proforma invoice but the final Invoices split between various items is short by almost Rs 22000/-. Brought this to the attention of the dealership who initially refused to refund the amount but now since this is also put before the consumer court, they have offered me Rs 12000/- instead of Rs 22000/-.

Now the car has developed issues in the steering at sharp turns and noise in the sun roof when driven at speeds over 70kmph. Dealership refused to look into the same as they have been told so by Honda. Wrote to Honda 121 and got a reply that I can avail paid service and repairs till the consumer case is pending.

All in all, this is the last Honda anyone in my family is ever going to buy. Absolutely horrific experience.
skbhagra is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2020, 15:31   #159
BHPian

These niggles are common with amaze and expected but civic

Is there a recent change in Honda management. Someone new hired maybe is trying to cut corners by compromising on quality.

If Honda is not reliable then what else does it have to offer!
Old 23rd March 2020, 10:46   #160
BHPian

Terrible message being sent across by Honda. If your premium offering is giving troubles like akin to a rural oriented commercial vehicle, it is high time we reinvigorate the Q&C process.

The Civic internationally is a renowned product, but Honda India is giving it a step motherly manufacturing. Not done guys!!
docprashant is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2020, 14:00   #161
BHPian

The old Civic and CR-V (both 2008) I have still does not have any rattle, shows how the build quality has deteriorated over the past few years. Honda is now just plain arrogant to say that 'only above 140 km' this happens and should be ok as you go lower speed.
rosh_aveo1.4 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th March 2020, 11:49   #162
Senior - BHPian

Hmm. I own a March 2019 Civic and I've had the passenger side seat belt replaced because it kept making an annoying sound for months. I have also faced another annoying sound from the steering column which no one seems to get at the workshop. It is frustrating.

Having said that, Honda quality has not gone down over the years, this is a bit of an exaggeration. Sure the 2008 Civic was super, but then so is this 2019 model. It is much better and improved in many ways.

I do think that Toyota is way ahead on the quality curve and Honda remains where they were. The 2008 Civic i owned had its fair share of Quality issues and the current one has its own. I own 2 corollas (3 & 4 years old) and they have been bullet proof thus far.
nik_kapur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th March 2020, 13:27   #163
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosh_aveo1.4 View Post
The old Civic and CR-V (both 2008) I have still does not have any rattle, shows how the build quality has deteriorated over the past few years. Honda is now just plain arrogant to say that 'only above 140 km' this happens and should be ok as you go lower speed.
This is the exact reason people are ready to pay a premium for Germans. Even though you rarely drive a car over 120 in India but that doesn't mean you should get an inferior product in India.

My Honda City steering buttons / AC controls started loosing their colours in less than 12 months of purchasing the car. On complaining I was simply told by the ASS that I am not using the car with clean hands and the oil on my hands made the buttons loose their color, which is simply absurd. On complaining directly to Honda directly they asked the dealership to offer me a 25% discount on replacement buttons, which was just not good enough and I refused to get them changed. After 6 years with the car, the complete Honda logo on the steering, the silver accents on the steering column, the steering cover, everything in the interiors has started fading.

On the other hand, within one year of Honda I purchased a Polo and my cousin purchased a Vento, both the cars, now more than 5 years old are still like new form inside when the same hands which used Honda are using these as well in same conditions. The explanation Honda gave to us still doesn't make any sense at all.
prateekchanana is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th March 2020, 16:13   #164
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prateekchanana View Post
This is the exact reason people are ready to pay a premium for Germans. Even though you rarely drive a car over 120 in India but that doesn't mean you should get an inferior product in India.

On the other hand, within one year of Honda I purchased a Polo and my cousin purchased a Vento, both the cars, now more than 5 years old are still like new form inside when the same hands which used Honda are using these as well in same conditions. The explanation Honda gave to us still doesn't make any sense at all.
My previous ride was Vento and used to rattle crazy. Rear doors, dashboard- it was a mess. Service center would fix every time and rattle would reappear within a weeks time. Ecosport I had also used to rattle around dash area and the rear tailgate. Higher the price of a car, lesser the rattle has been my experience. Civic rattle here sounds a bit odd here.
PrideRed is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 24th March 2020, 17:02   #165
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaddyCrew View Post
Out here in Australia, there has been a gradual - but steady - decrease in Honda sales. Much of it is attributed to lack of innovative products & lower perceived product quality.
Same here. Honda's highest point was when they launched in India. With an affordable sedan which breached the 100 bhp mark, and set the performance benchmark basically laid the foundation of Honda as a brand in India. Of course there were partially aided by lack of understanding of Indian market by a truly Indian company- Hindustan motors. Had they launched Lancer, which were superior in many aspects with 100 bhp+ engine, the game would have changed then and there. In fact the Lancer outsold Honda City for quite some time, despite the massive power deficit.

From there, it was mostly downhill. But this is nadir.

Most Viewed