Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th August 2020, 22:17   #211
BHPian

Re: Honda Civic : Official Review

I have a question for anyone who went for the leg-room lighting accessory from Honda. Does it come with lighting for under the rear seats also, or just the front? Mine only included the front lights, so I was curious if that's the norm.
Old 2nd September 2020, 14:09   #212
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
It is a matter of surprise that one of our not so friendly neighboring country whose economy is not as strong as ours seems to get the 1.5 Turbo version while we do not.
While reading the past pages of this tread came across this and was SURPRISED

In fact I even went immediately to the Honda website for Pakistan and saw that was true.

Next I checked out Honda Sri Lanka and found out that they too have the Civic with a turbo being sold.

With a heavy confused heart I then checked out Honda Bangladesh. Guess what. 1.5 turbo @ 174 BHP with Honda sensing.

Can someone.. anyone please explain to me this logic. Why would Honda do something like this?
F1-Addict is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2020, 16:26   #213
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1-Addict View Post
While reading the past pages of this tread came across this and was SURPRISED

In fact I even went immediately to the Honda website for Pakistan and saw that was true.

Next I checked out Honda Sri Lanka and found out that they too have the Civic with a turbo being sold.

With a heavy confused heart I then checked out Honda Bangladesh. Guess what. 1.5 turbo @ 174 BHP with Honda sensing.

Can someone.. anyone please explain to me this logic. Why would Honda do something like this?
This could probably be because Honda is not manufacturing these cars in these countries but rather must be importing them as CBU's.

Please fact check this.
theMandarin is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th September 2020, 21:07   #214
BHPian

Hey guys, after a lot of soul searching and considering various cars across segments, I have shortlisted the Civic (if I want to continue the sedan journey) or the Harrier (butch SUV). I read through some of the QC issues people have faced here regarding rattling and saw ready solutions for those issues in YT videos from the US (god bless Americans and their need to film / stream everything). My friend owns the Civic and he's been very happy with it.

I'm getting the ZX for 23ish and VX for 21sh, fresh stock (getting produced in the next batch). The HU and possibilities with HondaHack seem exciting (thanks America again!).

The head says Harrier, heart says Civic. I absolutely loved the overall ride of the Civic (a little bit underpowered but that's fine). My friend has loved his Civic over the last year. I don't care much about air purifiers or ventilated seats, just need a solid ride that will last me 5-7 years. What do you guys think?

Last edited by andafunda : 15th September 2020 at 21:12.
andafunda is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th September 2020, 16:20   #215
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by andafunda View Post
Hey guys, after a lot of soul searching and considering various cars across segments, I have shortlisted the Civic (if I want to continue the sedan journey) or the Harrier (butch SUV). I read through some of the QC issues people have faced here regarding rattling and saw ready solutions for those issues in YT videos from the US (god bless Americans and their need to film / stream everything). My friend owns the Civic and he's been very happy with it.

I'm getting the ZX for 23ish and VX for 21sh, fresh stock (getting produced in the next batch). The HU and possibilities with HondaHack seem exciting (thanks America again!).

The head says Harrier, heart says Civic. I absolutely loved the overall ride of the Civic (a little bit underpowered but that's fine). My friend has loved his Civic over the last year. I don't care much about air purifiers or ventilated seats, just need a solid ride that will last me 5-7 years. What do you guys think?
A good friend of mine in Bombay is looking at similar vehicles and had taken a test drive of the Civic but his feedback was that the ride quality was absolutely terrible. He felt that he could feel every imperfection on the road and this was a deal breaker for him. He was also quoted around Rs 24L on road for the ZX.

Can you share the details of the dealership from which you took the test drive and got this Rs 23L odd pricing? Maybe the test drive car that he got was not well maintained and another go at a better one in another dealership might change his mind.

He is down to the petrol automatic Jeep Compass or the diesel automatic Harrier, both top end variants, at this stage of decision making.
Old 17th September 2020, 19:15   #216
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
A good friend of mine in Bombay is looking at similar vehicles and had taken a test drive of the Civic but his feedback was that the ride quality was absolutely terrible. He felt that he could feel every imperfection on the road and this was a deal breaker for him. He was also quoted around Rs 24L on road for the ZX.

Can you share the details of the dealership from which you took the test drive and got this Rs 23L odd pricing? Maybe the test drive car that he got was not well maintained and another go at a better one in another dealership might change his mind.

He is down to the petrol automatic Jeep Compass or the diesel automatic Harrier, both top end variants, at this stage of decision making.
I was quoted the same price across two dealership - Honda discount (1.25L) plus insurance quote savings (30-40K) plus a few things here and there.

Incidentally, did your friend drive the test car at Viva Honda in Santacruz?
Old 18th September 2020, 07:02   #217
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The head says Harrier, heart says Civic.
You already have the answer here. You are not buying the car of out necessity but desire since the Civic would be considered as a luxury vehicle given its size and price. At this price point the heart should do the talking. If you wanted some practical car then let your head guide your decision. But since this is a D segment category trust your heart here. Ask for a longish test drive. I am sure they will oblige as this is no cheap car and is a lot of money. Then decide what you want.

Last edited by sumeethaldankar : 18th September 2020 at 07:03.
sumeethaldankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2020, 17:47   #218
BHPian

Quote:
You already have the answer here. You are not buying the car of out necessity but desire since the Civic would be considered as a luxury vehicle given its size and price. At this price point the heart should do the talking. If you wanted some practical car then let your head guide your decision. But since this is a D segment category trust your heart here. Ask for a longish test drive. I am sure they will oblige as this is no cheap car and is a lot of money. Then decide what you want.
I did do a long drive. Obviously loved the overall driving dynamics. Harrier or Compass may be the more practical options, but I'm in love with the Civic design, Interiors and drive. Felt a little bit underpowered but I've now transformed into a sedate driver - imagine saying this last point about the 2008 Civic!
andafunda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2020, 06:49   #219
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I did do a long drive. Obviously loved the overall driving dynamics. Harrier or Compass may be the more practical options, but I'm in love with the Civic design, Interiors and drive. Felt a little bit underpowered but I've now transformed into a sedate driver - imagine saying this last point about the 2008 Civic!
No car is perfect. The older one had it's flaws. It was a belly scrapper on Indian roads and on being loaded with luggage and 3 people the rear would sag badly. In todays crowded roads performance is just on paper. You will not be driving it pedal to metal all the time. I would rather have a car which is 1-2 seconds slower than it's fastest competitor but is 10 times more reliable.

Overseas the Civic is known to last for years to come. Honda says that 7 out of 10 of all it's cars they have ever made in the world are still on the road today. That is some testimony. The nearest and popular competitor may be faster than the Civc by a second or two but it may not give you the peace of mind given by the Honda which when you pay more than 20 big ones should be part of standard equipment.
sumeethaldankar is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 19th September 2020, 07:57   #220
BHPian

Quote:
No car is perfect. The older one had it's flaws. It was a belly scrapper on Indian roads and on being loaded with luggage and 3 people the rear would sag badly. In todays crowded roads performance is just on paper. You will not be driving it pedal to metal all the time. I would rather have a car which is 1-2 seconds slower than it's fastest competitor but is 10 times more reliable.

Overseas the Civic is known to last for years to come. Honda says that 7 out of 10 of all it's cars they have ever made in the world are still on the road today. That is some testimony. The nearest and popular competitor may be faster than the Civc by a second or two but it may not give you the peace of mind given by the Honda which when you pay more than 20 big ones should be part of standard equipment.
Thank you for putting it this way. I spoke to a lot of friends (my age, older than me etc). Most of them have stayed with Honda (one guy is on his third City), even when they have 1-2 other cars in their garage. The badge gives me a lot of confidence. As you said, people tend to forget the small niggles etc from the past also - i have heard some people say Honda reliability has gone down etc but my friends have largely been happy.
andafunda is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th September 2020, 11:05   #221
BHPian

Quote:

Go for the Civic eyes closed. You will not regret it. This from one happy and very satisfied Civic ZX petrol owner.

If you just the regular maintenance on time, your car will last 15 years and not 5 to 7 years without any major maintenance. That kind of peace of mind is invaluable IMO
ssenhyd is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th September 2020, 12:52   #222
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The badge gives me a lot of confidence.
I would suggest the Civic too. I have the 2010 V AT and it’s really a fill it, shut it, forget it vehicle (anyone remember the Honda CD 100 tag line years ago).

Just do the periodic servicing and you should be good to go. Your heart is set on it anyways - go for it or you will regret it every time you see a Civic pass by.

Cheers

Last edited by Vid6639 : 20th September 2020 at 15:58. Reason: fixed the quote tags
Cyborg is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th September 2020, 15:10   #223
BHPian

[quote=Cyborg;4890428]
Quote:
The badge gives me a lot of confidence. [/BB QUOTE]

I would suggest the Civic too. I have the 2010 V AT and it’s really a fill it, shut it, forget it vehicle (anyone remember the Honda CD 100 tag line years ago).

Just do the periodic servicing and you should be good to go. Your heart is set on it anyways - go for it or you will regret it every time you see a Civic pass by.

Cheers
The only precaution I take in terms of regular maintenance is that I change my engine oil and oil filter every 5,000 KM or 6 months (whichever is earlier) instead of the 10,000 KM/ i year interval.

Most of my daily driving (over 80%) is frequent short trips (less than 15 KM) within the city and very infrequent long drives. City driving with frequent start and stops for short distances matches more the driving pattern quoted for severe driving maintenance schedule as given in the owner's manual.

That is the primary reason I follow Honda Civic's "severe maintenance schedule" as given in their owner's manual, which is oil change every 6 months or 5,000 KM. I think this will give better engine life in the long run.

I am doing this based on advice from this site and others:

https://www.noln.net/articles/3919-w...r-most-drivers

This advice makes sense to me. And anyway, even if this frequent oil change is really not needed, for a few thousand rupees every six months, it brings a lot of peace of mind, and additionally it doesn't harm the engine.

Quote:

Put it so succinctly! Exactly what i had in my mind. Thanks!

Last edited by Vid6639 : 20th September 2020 at 15:58. Reason: Merging back to back posts. please use edit option when replying.
ssenhyd is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th September 2020, 15:26   #224
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssenhyd View Post
The only precaution I take in terms of regular maintenance is that I change my engine oil and oil filter every 5,000 KM or 6 months (whichever is earlier) instead of the 10,000 KM/ i year interval.
My running is not much and till a year ago I had two cars always. Sold off one as there was no need for it anymore. My Civic has done only 45xxx kms in 10.5 years.

I stick to the one year service interval irrespective of the kms as 10k doesn’t happen in my case anyway. Honda keeps calling me for a service which I ignore.

There is really no need for a service (oil change etc) every six months my friend, unless you have very high running (which you don’t). It just makes the service centre richer.

Cheers

Quote:
Well said Sumeet! I can feel you are really missing your Civic. You should go and find another one to satisfy your soul.

The only flaw or pain I find in the Civic is the scraping on the speed breakers if at all. Normally (99%) of the time it doesn’t happen to me, as after so many years I have developed the art of taking it over breakers.

However, it’s the only reason I get tempted time and again to sell it off and get a Creta to get rid of this issue. Have to just find a clear road, use the paddles and the feeling of selling her vanishes

Cheers

Last edited by vb-saan : 20th September 2020 at 18:45. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Thank you
Cyborg is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th September 2020, 16:26   #225
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg View Post
My running is not much and till a year ago I had two cars always. Sold off one as there was no need for it anymore. My Civic has done only 45xxx kms in 10.5 years.

I stick to the one year service interval irrespective of the kms as 10k doesn’t happen in my case anyway. Honda keeps calling me for a service which I ignore.

There is really no need for a service (oil change etc) every six months my friend, unless you have very high running (which you don’t). It just makes the service centre richer.

Cheers
Yes, I realize that this may be overkill, but it doesn't do any harm besides damaging my pocket for a few thou once every six months.
Besides, it makes me feel that i am doing something to baby care the engine..
But again it may be completely not required..

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks