Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 22nd September 2020, 23:15   #226
BHPian

Re: Honda Civic : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssenhyd View Post
Go for the Civic eyes closed. You will not regret it. This from one happy and very satisfied Civic ZX petrol owner.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg View Post
I would suggest the Civic too.

Cheers
Quote:

The only precaution I take in terms of regular maintenance is that I change my engine oil and oil filter every 5,000 KM or 6 months (whichever is earlier) instead of the 10,000 KM/ i year interval.

Thank you all for your feedback. I'm pretty much in the Civic camp now. Sold my Rapid yesterday, and am using the family Polo till I get my new car.

I had one question about the ZX vs VX variant. The ZX has 215/50 R17s while the VX has 215/55 R16s. Will the bigger aspect ratio / sidewall on the R16s lead to a noticably more comfortable ride? What is the advantage R17s have over the R16s?

Also, is it worth paying 2L extra for the ZX? I am getting the ZX for ~23L OTR and VX for ~21L OTR (both Petrol CVT).

Last edited by andafunda : 22nd September 2020 at 23:19.
andafunda is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2020, 00:12   #227
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by andafunda View Post
Also, is it worth paying 2L extra for the ZX? I am getting the ZX for ~23L OTR and VX for ~21L OTR (both Petrol CVT).
This “worth paying extra” is quite a personal thing, depending on your point of view of features vs price. I don’t like getting a brand new car touched/opened up outside and always go for the top end model with all features.

You need to evaluate your priorities and take a decision.

All the best.

Cheers
Cyborg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2020, 10:03   #228
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you all for your feedback. I'm pretty much in the Civic camp now. Sold my Rapid yesterday, and am using the family Polo till I get my new car.

I had one question about the ZX vs VX variant. The ZX has 215/50 R17s while the VX has 215/55 R16s. Will the bigger aspect ratio / sidewall on the R16s lead to a noticably more comfortable ride? What is the advantage R17s have over the R16s?

As the earlier poster mentioned, you have to make your own call based on your priorities on which features are important for you.

I was in exactly the same bind as you, on whether to go for the VX or the ZX, and I can share with you my decision process based on my priorities for selecting the ZX over VX.

For me engineering refinement and quality under the bonnet and in places where one cant's see combined with reliability and safety are of the highest priority.

Features such as leather seat, sunroof, accent light etc. are far lower on my priority list.

I shared this to provide the context on what were the deciding factors for me to buy the ZX version over the VX so that it helps you choose what works best for you.

From an engineering refinement under the hood and overall quality all the three Civic versions V, VX and ZX are more or less identical.

Both the VX and the ZX have leather seats, which IMO are a nuisance and ill suited for a hot tropical climate such as ours. But here we have no choice really as both VX and ZX trims come equipped with leatherette seats.

Again the ZX has a sun/moon roof over the VX, which IMO is a complete and utter waste of money, for in hot, noisy, dusty, pollution filled cities like ours, opening the sun/moon roof is to let poisonous fumes and heat inside the car.

From a drive comfort what I have heard, the R16 wheels of a VX would provide a better ride than the R17 wheels of a ZX

What are then the plus points that swinged my vote in favour of the ZX?

1. Curtain airbags - invaluable the only time when you need it in a collision

2. Safety of LED headlights - this was a clincher. LED headlights last the lifetime of a car and provide far far better illusion than the Xenon lamps on the VX when driving at night, and no aftermarket LED headlight would IMO give the quality and reliability and warranty of a factory fit headlight from Honda

3. The lane watch camera - which I find extremely helpful in Indian city driving condition

4. Full sized spare wheel - The ZX comes with a full sized spare wheel (not sure if the VX does too), and that is again very valuable when you have a puncture. You can ride on your spare wheel forever.

The four points above, from my perspective were worth the onetime Rs 2,00,000 extra I was paying for the ZX trim. The other items in the ZX were not of much importance to me.

Hope this helps in making up your mind. Happy buying!
Attached Thumbnails
Honda Civic : Official Review-civic-zx-over-vx.png  

Last edited by ssenhyd : 23rd September 2020 at 10:19. Reason: spelling and grammar
ssenhyd is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2020, 12:24   #229
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg View Post
T I don’t like getting a brand new car touched/opened up outside and always go for the top end model with all features.
Cheers
That's a fair point

Quote:
Again the ZX has a sun/moon roof over the VX, which IMO is a complete and utter waste of money.

From a drive comfort what I have heard, the R16 wheels of a VX would provide a better ride than the R17 wheels of a ZX
Firstly, thank you for such a comprehensive reply!

These 2 points are what would drive me to the VX. Apparently the VX comes with the Hankook Ventus S1 Noble2's (215/55/R16) whereas the ZX comes with the Yokohama Advan dB (215/50/R17). Haven't found too much information on the performance (since the Civic is such a niche car).

Quote:

What are then the plus points that swinged my vote in favour of the ZX?
1. Curtain airbags - invaluable the only time when you need it in a collision
2. Safety of LED headlights
3. The lane watch camera
I think points 1-3 here drive me towards the ZX. Especially points 1 and 2, coming from the 2 airbags and really bad halogens on my Rapid.

Will the presence of a sunroof negatively affect the resale value of the car, 5-7 years hence? Sorry if this sounds like a basic question, but haven't owned a car with one so no experience of how the used car market reacts to this.

Last edited by andafunda : 23rd September 2020 at 12:26.
andafunda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2020, 13:24   #230
BHPian

Quote:
That's a fair point

Will the presence of a sunroof negatively affect the resale value of the car, 5-7 years hence? Sorry if this sounds like a basic question, but haven't owned a car with one so no experience of how the used car market reacts to this.

I think, and I may be wrong, in the Indian market sun/moon roof are a craze. Hence a sun/moon roof will only end up enhancing the resale value rather than diminishing it in my humble opinion.
ssenhyd is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2020, 14:43   #231
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I think points 1-3 here drive me towards the ZX. Especially points 1 and 2, coming from the 2 airbags and really bad halogens on my Rapid.
After ssenhyd’s detailed report on selection between VX and ZX, if budget permits, go for the ZX eyes closed. You will not regret your decision in the life of the car.

Our people have an insane craze for the sun roof, which I also hate. I wouldn’t mind paying the full price, if the company could provide me a top spec car without a sunroof. Unfortunately, I believe this is not possible.

From a curiosity point of view, it would be great if you could ask Honda whether they can deliver a non sunroof ZX to you and let us know.

Cheers

Last edited by Cyborg : 23rd September 2020 at 14:44.
Cyborg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th September 2020, 20:18   #232
BHPian

Quote:
Another point, you mentioned that you plan to keep the car for only 5 to 7 years. In that case you can go for any brand that has a 7 years warranty and not bother about long term reliability and repair costs.

One of the benefits of owning a Honda Civic is that this is a keeper, and if just regular maintenance is performed on time, the car can easily last 10+ years in fact even 15 years with minimum repair and maintenance costs
Old 26th September 2020, 09:03   #233
BHPian

Quote:
One of the benefits of owning a Honda Civic is that this is a keeper, and if just regular maintenance is performed on time, the car can easily last 10+ years in fact even 15 years with minimum repair and maintenance costs
Don't get me wrong, I will intend to keep the car for long. I maintain my cars very well (have an OCD). But I am 32 and not sure how life will evolve hence asked the question.

On another note, am booking the ZX tomorrow! I wanted to check with you and other owners on the following points:

1. Front Parking Sensors are worth it? Never really felt the need on my Rapid

2. How are the mats that come with the basic kit? They're providing mats and pillows for 6.5K.

3. Did you buy the Honda connect dongle for GPS tracking?

4. Did you buy the 3 year AMC package?

5. Did you get the footwall lights installed?
Old 26th September 2020, 10:13   #234
BHPian

Quote:
Don't get me wrong, I will intend to keep the car for long. I maintain my cars very well (have an OCD). But I am 32 and not sure how life will evolve hence asked the question.

On another note, am booking the ZX tomorrow! I wanted to check with you and other owners on the following points:

2. How are the mats that come with the basic kit? They're providing mats and pillows for 6.5K.

In the close bumper to bumper driving condition in our cities, the front driving sensors, I think would continue to give false alarms while driving and end up being an irritant rather than a driving aid.

I debated getting one too but ended up deciding against it

My advice: The pillows are worthless and it may be worthwhile getting aftermarket mats from outside of far better quality. Don't get it from the dealer.. you're being ripped off

No.. never felt the need

No..

No..
ssenhyd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2020, 11:09   #235
BHPian

Quote:
No.. never felt the need
Thanks so much again for your replies. I agree with you on the front parking sensors and mats etc. I am debating getting Honda Connect vs Autowiz and other solutions (all OBD2 port dongles). I sometimes have to park my car on the street when there is no parking space in the building.

I'm planning to get the Nomex car cover (street dogs scratched my father's car badly) and 3D Kagu mats. Which mats did you get for you car?

Would you have any other tips for me / any interesting accessories I should get etc - I'm getting the red ZX.
andafunda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2020, 11:59   #236
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks so much again for your replies. I agree with you on the front parking sensors and mats etc. I am debating getting Honda Connect vs Autowiz and other solutions (all OBD2 port dongles). I sometimes have to park my car on the street when there is no parking space in the building.

I'm planning to get the Nomex car cover (street dogs scratched my father's car badly) and 3D Kagu mats. Which mats did you get for you car?

Would you have any other tips for me / any interesting accessories I should get etc - I'm getting the red ZX.
" I am debating getting Honda Connect vs Autowiz and other solutions (all OBD2 port dongles). I sometimes have to park my car on the street when there is no parking space in the building."

Don't have much experience here.

"I'm planning to get the Nomex car cover (street dogs scratched my father's car badly) and 3D Kagu mats. Which mats did you get for you car?
"

I use the standard mats provided with the car.. I have someone clean my car daily and interiors once a week, so felt investing in the mats overkill for now.. But it is a good investment to get the 3D mats. For outside parking, good car covers are absolutely essential..

Other things i followed:

1. Get the extended warranty, without fail.. definitely
2. Look around yourself and get comprehensive insurance yourself and avoid getting the insurance from the dealer. Dealer provided insurance are overpriced and a ripoff
3. while purchasing the bumper-to-bumper 0 depreciation insurance definitely include Engine hydrolock protection to protect yourself if the car engines gets completely damaged if stuck in a water and water gets inside the engine and damages it
4. Don't be tempted by being manipulated by the dealer and being pushed into purchasing this add on and that add on etc. Each of these little trims may not cost a lot, but they add up and are completely unnecessary
5. Always have the attitude that you are ready to walkout of the dealer if you don't get the right price, if you are still negotiating. The dealer should get the sense that you are a serious buyer who is not naive and can't be manipulated, but is ready to seal the deal if given the right price.. Be patient, don't set yourself an artificial deadline that you have to buy the car by a self imposed deadline.. That hurry shows when you're negotiating with the dealer, and additionally, one tends to make mistakes when in a hurry

6. Follow the PDI inspection checklist from Team-BHP

7. What manufacturing date car are you getting?. Don't get anything that has been manufactured more than 3 to 4 months from now.. If older then ask for additional discount from the price.

8. Always remember you are the buyer who is handing over the cash and hence you are the BOSS, and right now it's a buyers market

9. Finally, I negotiated Rs 1.5 lakhs cash discount when i purchased my car, my car had a manufacturing date 4 months old when purchased

Finally best of luck on your purchase, you won't regret it!

This is my second Civic and haven't regretted the decision. My latest one is red colored too

Best of luck and happy buying.. you're getting yourself a gem of a well engineered and refined car that is really fill it, shut it and forget it as one poster previously mentioned.

Last edited by ssenhyd : 26th September 2020 at 12:24. Reason: spelling and grammar
ssenhyd is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th September 2020, 13:33   #237
BHPian

Quote:

Other things i followed:

Look around yourself and get comprehensive insurance yourself and avoid getting the insurance from the dealer. Dealer provided insurance are overpriced and a ripoff
Yes, I am negotiating with the dealership through a trusted broker (he has been helping my boss' family for a couple of decades now). He is giving me a rate which is 2K above PolicyBazaar rate including all of the below coverage.

Quote:

7. What manufacturing date car are you getting?. Don't get anything that has been manufactured more than 3 to 4 months from now.. If older then ask for additional discount from the price.
The car is yet to be dispatched from the Honda plant. The dealer will confirm the VIN to me before I make the payment.

Quote:
9. Finally, I negotiated Rs 1.5 lakhs cash discount when i purchased my car, my car had a manufacturing date 4 months old when purchased
The broker negotiated very hard on my behalf. Got almost 2.5L off for OTR of 23L (mumbai RTO charges are a bit high)

Quote:

Best of luck and happy buying.. you're getting yourself a gem of a well engineered and refined car that is really fill it, shut it and forget it as one poster previously mentioned.
Thank you, hoping for a hassle free ownership unlike my experience with Skoda and their famed after sales service.
Old 26th September 2020, 13:36   #238
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, I am negotiating with the dealership through a trusted broker (he has been helping my boss' family for a couple of decades now). He is giving me a rate which is 2K above PolicyBazaar rate including all of the below coverage.

The car is yet to be dispatched from the Honda plant. The dealer will confirm the VIN to me before I make the payment.

The broker negotiated very hard on my behalf. Got almost 2.5L off for OTR of 23L (mumbai RTO charges are a bit high)

Thank you, hoping for a hassle free ownership unlike my experience with Skoda and their famed after sales service.

That's an awesome discount. Congratulations!
ssenhyd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2020, 10:50   #239
BHPian

Quote:

Do share with this group once you have purchased and taken delivery of the car your buying experience and ownership experience.
Old 2nd October 2020, 19:17   #240
BHPian

Quote:
Do share with this group once you have purchased and taken delivery of the car your buying experience and ownership experience.
Finally completed the deal today. So far the experience has been good with the original dealership I spoke with, post some hiccup through the broker / another dealership.

The Sales Head is an avid motor fan and follower of TBhp! I should get my car in the next 15 days.

Most Viewed