Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 8th November 2020, 09:36   #256
BHPian

Re: Honda Civic : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Be Wild View Post
Thanks, was'nt much else to choose from, altis is no longer on sale and i would not
Touch skoda with a barge pole too
Just want peace of mind with honda, my second gen accord aged really well i hope this one does not disappoint.

The lane watch feature is amazing, plus i love the 17 inchers diamond cut alloys on the ZX din't quite like the VX design as much and did not want
To change oem alloys so sort of tilting towards the ZX trim only. Please do post pictures of your car and how is your experience so far?
Things to go for ZX:

1. Curtain airbags
2. LED headlamps that would last the life of the car and the significantly superior night time illumination and the driving safety that brings along

If you are planing to keep the car for say 10 years, then the added Rs 2 lakhs you would spend for the ZX comes to around rs 10,000 per year or around Rs 900 per months in straight line depreciation.

Is Rs 900 per month additional expense for safety of myself and my family worth it? I would say absolutely!
Well that is my thought process,
ssenhyd is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th November 2020, 18:01   #257

Fuel pump failure. Got it changed for free.

This happened last month. After driving for 45 minutes, came back and parked the car at the house gate. Asked the driver to park it in garage. He came down and tried to start the engine after 5 minutes of me switching it off. The car did not start.

The electronics were working. When trying to crank, the car just make a "clicking sound" and would not turn-over. Tried a few time and let it rest. After 30 minutes, it started and ran just fine. Same thing happened after two weeks. I realised that this happens only when trying to re-start the engine within a short span of switching it off. Did not have any trouble while driving. Only when restarting in a short (5-10 minute) span of turning it off.

Went to the service centre and explained. Thankfully, the car repeated this behaviour in front on the SA and he said will get to me in some hours. But prima facie looked like a fuel line issue. By evening, he called and explained that the fuel pump has a manufacturing defect and will be replaced free of cost. I said go ahead, do the regular service as well as it was due. Got the car back within 3 days.

It is now running just fine. No issues. Runs smoothly at 10kmph and at 150kmph. However, I am still a bit concerned as it is still just 1 year old with 7000kms on the ODO. Am I thinking too much into it and was the diagnosis and procedure done by the Service Centre correct and justified ? He did mention this is a very very common problem in Amaze and many models were recalled. Civic was not part of it but it is a common issue for Honda but rare in this model.

Thanks for reading.
Maverick1947 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th November 2020, 18:36   #258
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick1947 View Post
Am I thinking too much into it and was the diagnosis and procedure done by the Service Centre correct and justified ? He did mention this is a very very common problem in Amaze and many models were recalled. Civic was not part of it but it is a common issue for Honda but rare in this model.
My Jazz CVT was part of the fuel pump recall, due to a faulty impeller, back in June. However, for the City & Civic, Honda seems to be doing more of a case by case replacement.

When petrol vehicles crank but don’t start, it’s usually between a lack of ignition or fuel. Since yours is a brand new Honda, the chance of the ignition system failing at such low mileage is very little. Looks like they received a bad batch of fuel pumps for a lot of their vehicles.

To their benefit, they owned up to their error & replaced the part swiftly, without any questions asked & at no charge to you.

I’d say just enjoy that gem of a car & the legendary Honda engineering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arpirocks View Post
The latest incident with Honda City 2020 CVT (Petrol)

I was running some errands, parked the car outside a shop. Came back after 5-10 mins and the car refused to start! The engine was cranking but nothing after that. Tried multiple times.

I drove the car directly to Honda Service and as it was late evening already had to leave my car there so that they could run a full diagnostics and identify the problem (if any). They are suspecting a faulty fuel pump!
Looks like a very similar incident in the Civic, above.

Last edited by ChoosetoCruze : 14th November 2020 at 18:44.
ChoosetoCruze is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th November 2020, 01:18   #259

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoosetoCruze View Post
My Jazz CVT was part of the fuel pump recall, due to a faulty impeller, back in June. However, for the City & Civic, Honda seems to be doing more of a case by case replacement.

When petrol vehicles crank but don’t start, it’s usually between a lack of ignition or fuel. Since yours is a brand new Honda, the chance of the ignition system failing at such low mileage is very little. Looks like they received a bad batch of fuel pumps for a lot of their vehicles.

To their benefit, they owned up to their error & replaced the part swiftly, without any questions asked & at no charge to you.

I’d say just enjoy that gem of a car & the legendary Honda engineering.

Looks like a very similar incident in the Civic, above.
Do you think that this pretty much took care of the problem or could it also be a faulty relay or something else the service centre might have missed. Although he said the problem did show up when connected to the computer and the error was specific to the pump.
Old 15th November 2020, 05:21   #260
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick1947 View Post
Do you think that this pretty much took care of the problem or could it also be a faulty relay or something else the service centre might have missed. Although he said the problem did show up when connected to the computer and the error was specific to the pump.
I’m pretty sure they would’ve checked the fuel pressure value on their live data (or pressure tested it). To put your concern to rest, ask them for a copy of the diagnostic report.

Go to the post of the member who owns the City, and scroll down a few replies, you’ll see Honda has provided an explanation. Ask your dealer for something similar.

A faulty relay/fuse is an extremely easy & cheap fix. As is a clogged fuel filter. The fuel pump & injectors are the $$$ ones. I’m yet to hear of Honda installing faulty injectors. Even Toyota recently had a fuel pump recall worldwide.

Watch this video to get an idea of what all to check when a car cranks, but won’t start -
ChoosetoCruze is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2020, 10:48   #261
BHPian

Any update if Honda is going to provide Honda connect device for Civic. Very strange that they did not include this as a default feature while the new City has this as an option.
Old 1st December 2020, 01:44   #262

@andafunda which dealership di you get these quotes from and can you help me negotiate a better price.

Best price I've received is 25L OTR for ZX. Bangalore

Am seriously considering a 2k kms used ZX available at the Honda dealer for 20.5L not a test drive vehicle
reddify is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2020, 08:30   #263
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddify View Post
Best price I've received is 25L OTR for ZX. Bangalore
I guess the reason for higher quote in your case is because of the Bangalore road tax (He bought it in Mumbai).

If the car actually ran just 2k Km then its a good deal at 20 lacs. But to be honest, I am always a bit suspicious of very low run cars sold this early by the owners.
PaddleShifter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th December 2020, 00:56   #264

Shockingly Civic has been discontinued by Honda, news link here https://www.team-bhp.com/news/honda-...v-discontinued

I am still confused if I should be worried,

- considering that reliability should still be ok (at least I assumed it over Octavia)
- resale value is not a big concern as I plan to keep my car for long-term
- globally the 10th generation has been a huge success, so availability of spares would be there

Definitely feels a bit cheated by Honda by this decision. Rather than improving their product, they take the easy way out.
anm_delhi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2021, 07:03   #265
BHPian

After a few months of research and lots of deliberations, calculations and considerations, I ended up taking the delivery of a Honda Civic ZX Petrol on 22nd October 2020. Here's how I got there.

Prologue

Before I talk about why I shortlisted the Civic and the car itself, let me give you some context into my vehicle ownership history.

I bought my first car in my early twenties - will never forget the sweet, sweet ride of the Ford Fiesta 1.4 LXi (Sam Seaborn). It gave me a lot of problems at the end, but it was always a pleasure to drive it around town and on impromptu trips to the ghats. It was truly a great handling car. I wish I owned it after Ford fixed their service issues in India! Drove it for 40K KM.

Here's Sam (Fiesta) on its last day with me (December 2014):

Honda Civic : Official Review-pic-.jpg

My second car was a Skoda Rapid 1.5 TDI Elegance (Josh Lyman). Good car, relatively niggle free, far safer than the Fiesta, had more features, but I never connected with it emotionally like I did with the Fiesta. I guess it was the Skoda after-sales service and the ever-hanging sword of expensive repairs and rip-offs by Autobahn Mumbai that let me down. But, the Rapid served me well. Drove it for 25K KM.

Here's Josh (Rapid) on its last day with me (September 2020):

Honda Civic : Official Review-pic-b.jpg

As you may have figured, I am a big fan of (a) Sedans (b) The West Wing (the fact that the lead character and I attended the same grad school is a mere co-incidence. I wasn't influenced in any way by the character in my choice of schools. I promise. )

The Buying Process

I felt the need to replace my Rapid during the lockdown. A couple of injector / sensor failures and my left ankle ligament issues convinced me of the need to upgrade my ride.

My criteria was as below:
  • 1-2 segments above the Rapid (I wanted to reward myself for all the hard work in the last decade.)

• Automatic transmission.

• Budget: INR 15 to 30 lacs.

• Preferably sedan, but I was open to an SUV as well.

• No Skoda or Volkswagen. I prefer my cars to spend more time in my garage rather than that of the dealership, thank you very much.

With this criteria in mind, I considered the following cars:
  • Hyundai Creta - One visit to the dealership and checking out the display car, re-affirmed my belief that Hyundai cars are not for me. Beyond the bling, all I could see is low quality plastics all over, project car design that I couldn't appreciate and average ergonomics. Hard pass.

• Kia Seltos - Same issues as with the Creta plus pretty scary critical component failure reports on this forum. Hard pass.

• BMW 3 Series - I could have extended the budget, but did not the mental capacity to experience luxury German car ownership at this moment in time. Maybe the next car will be a luxury German.

• Skoda Karoq - Brilliant car, great ergonomics. But the high road tax incidence (20% because of CBU!) and Skoda badge were deal-breakers. Reluctant pass.

• Jeep Compass - Really liked the design and driving dynamics of both the petrol and diesel models. I was tempted by the Limited Plus edition, but the dealership was eager to push the Longitude Plus, which I wasn't keen on. They didn't offer any discounts on the Limited Plus beyond the insurance price rationalization. Shortlisted.

• Tata Harrier - This one really, really impressed me. Loved the overall build, design, driving dynamics. XZA+ fit in my budget as well. However, I struggled to get a second test drive, even after setting up 2-3 appointments with 2 separate dealerships. Shortlisted.

• Honda Civic - The delay from the Tata dealership side gave me the opportunity to check out the Civic. And I'm glad that I did. Fell in love on first sight. The drive was superb as well - everything from driving position to handling to comfort to ergonomics was perfect. I decided I could live with the NA engine and CVT gearbox. Also, the reliability quotient swung it in favour of the Japanese sedan - given this was the 4th iteration of the Civic X (~20% market share and cumulative sales of 1.5M+ units in the US), most of the issues would have been sorted by now.
Finally shortlisted the Civic to be my next car. Aptly decided to name it Toby Ziegler. Like the character on West Wing, the Civic divides opinions among car enthusiasts. Some love it, the others hate it. I was pretty convinced by what I saw and experienced. The amazing offer I got further sealed the deal.

I was to be the proud owner of a Civic X!

The Dealership Experience

I was very impressed by the sales team leader at Arya Honda, Prabhadevi. He is a car enthusiast and follows Team-BHP regularly. He helped and guided me through the sales process very well.

Even post my booking, he was prompt with giving updates on the car dispatch from plant, VIN number confirmation, detailed photos once it landed in the stockyard (I couldn’t visit for PDI) and even intervened personally to get the RTO process done quickly. I could feel the excitement in his voice when we got the intimation about the car registration number. We have been in touch even after the car delivery. I wish more enthusiasts end up working for dealerships.

Here's Toby on the delivery day!

Honda Civic : Official Review-pic-c.jpg

Honda Civic : Official Review-pic-q.jpg

What I Like About the Civic

• The way it looks.

Those curves!

Honda Civic : Official Review-pic-d.jpg

Those curves (from another angle!)

Honda Civic : Official Review-pic-p.jpg

The sloping coupe-like roofline:

Honda Civic : Official Review-pic-e.jpg

The low-slung driving position (see comp with Creta):

Honda Civic : Official Review-pic-o.jpg

At a hill resort, enjoying the sunset after a hard day's drive:

Honda Civic : Official Review-pic-f.jpg

• The driving dynamics.

Have covered 2000 KM in 2 months in different conditions - ghats, city roads, highways, off-roading (read Mumbai suburban roads). The car has been an absolute pleasure to drive - well planted at high speeds, feels assured around corners, adequate power delivery in all terrains, smooth gearbox. Yes, it is not a 0-100 champion, but that's not what I am looking for in a car. My friend drives an Octavia and he also felt that the Civic manages the sweeping Western ghats better.

• The well-laid out cabin.

NVH levels are well controlled, you feel fairly isolated from the outside world. The ergonomics are on point, with well laid out storage spaces and easy to access controls. Auto-hold, EPB, dual-zone A/c, soft touch plastics, tactile switches, comfortable seats (with good thigh support) all contribute towards a satisfying driving experience.

My favourite feature, lane-watch camera on the left ORVM:

Honda Civic : Official Review-pic-i.jpg

Decent visibility from the auto-dimming IRVM:

Honda Civic : Official Review-pic-m.jpg

Clean and simple cabin:

Honda Civic : Official Review-pic-s.jpg

High quality tactile buttons and switches:

Honda Civic : Official Review-pic-v.jpg

• The instrument cluster.

This has been a stand-out feature of the Civic from every generation. Happy to report that the Civic X is no different. The most useful feature for me is the turn-by-turn navigation that is integrated with Google Maps on Android Auto / Apple Carplay. You don't even have to select it from the menu, shows up automatically before you have to change directions / take a service road etc.

Here is a short video of the cluster:

• The head unit.

I actually enjoy using the head unit on the Civic. It is based on Android 4.2, so one can root it pretty easily (search for HondaHack) and customize almost any feature to suit one's requirement. It comes with in-built WiFi and GPS modules - planning to root the HU and install Waze / Google Maps / Spotify. While it supports Android Auto / Carplay, I don't enjoy using them. Like native apps more.

The home screen:

Honda Civic : Official Review-pic-g.jpg

The default apps:

Honda Civic : Official Review-pic-j.jpg

The in-built browser:

Honda Civic : Official Review-pic-h.jpg

• The widely available accessories.

Because of the global Civic franchise, one can get many useful accessories for the Civic on AliExpress, eBay, etc. A few examples -

Wireless charger (under the non-slip mat):

Honda Civic : Official Review-pic-k.jpg

Accents for switches:

Honda Civic : Official Review-pic-l.jpg

Anti-slip mats:

Honda Civic : Official Review-pic-t.jpg

TPH Nomex Cover (Dog scratch proof):

Honda Civic : Official Review-pic-r.jpg

Planning to add: Integrated TPMS, HDMI media player (for those long waits in the car).

• Other Features.

Full LED headlight setup, full under-body protection, good quality paint job, cheap service and maintenance package, decent mileage (city - 10 to 11 kmph, highway - 14 to 16 kmph).

What I Don't Like About the Civic

• Boot space - 430L is strictly average for a D segment sedan. Competition does better here.

Honda Civic : Official Review-pic-n.jpg

• 3 year warranty - While one can extend it to 5 years and beyond, competition gives 6 year warranty.

• No Honda Sense - Lack of L1 autonomous car features for India. Come on, Honda.

• Noisy Tyres - The 215/50/R17 Yokohama Advan dBs make quite a lot of noise on concrete roads. Gagan C also pointed this out in his review.

• Lack of premium support - I'm paying 3x of what someone pays for an Amaze. Wouldn't hurt to make the experience a little bit more bespoke.

First Service Experience

Got my first free service done at 1,000 KM at Arya Honda, Kalina. Very good experience - I only had to wait an hour while they did the service that involved mostly checking if everything is working fine. I was charged INR 295 for sanitation of the vehicle - I guess everyone is finding a way to profit off Covid!

I have done 2,000 KM so far and will be going in for the second free service in March 2021.

I am also planning to get the 3 year maintenance package for INR 16,850 during my second service - https://www.hondacarindia.com/honda-...tenancepackage - Just for context, my annual bill for the Rapid was INR 20,000+, so i'll be saving quite a lot of money with Honda Service.

That's all, folks. Happy to answer any questions!
andafunda is offline   (58) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2021, 08:52   #266
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by andafunda View Post
After a few months of research and lots of deliberations, calculations and considerations, I ended up taking the delivery of a Honda Civic ZX Petrol on 22nd October 2020. Here's how I got there.

Hi Thanks for the detailed ownership experience. I can completely understand your happiness quotient as I feel more or less the same!

The cabin interiors is spot on.. it just feels right with everything in the right place..

Second the driving dynamics is really the best part..

Enjoy your car as it will be a pleasure to drive for years with the low maintenance cost added..

One precaution would be to follow the *severe* maintenance schedule that is recommended as short drive city driving with stop and go traffic, is exactly what severe driving condition states in the Honda Service Manual..

Hence IMHO the most critical part is getting the engine oil and oil filter changed as per the severe maintenance schedule, i.e. once every 6 months or 5,000 KM, whichever is earlier..

I am also planning to use full synthetic engine oil from the next service that is at the 1.5 years point onward
Old 3rd January 2021, 11:24   #267
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by andafunda View Post
Honda Civic ZX Petrol...
Congrats on the new ride friend! What an excellent looking color for the beautiful car!

You will be enjoying the Japanese reliability compared to your previous rides for sure. There is nothing much which can go wrong in a Civic, it's a tried and tested global car. Yes HONDA is reliable but still I would suggest you to go for the 5 year extended warranty as the car has been discontinued already.

It's gonna be difficult for you to sell this car off, even after 15 years or this might even outlast you. Wishing you a million happy miles!
kamilharis is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2021, 12:11   #268
BHPian

Congratulations on your new car.

Civic has always been a special car for me and even though absence of MT was a bummer, I was seriously thinking about it for my next purchase. Sadly, Honda won't sell it anymore and instead they will increase the price of City closer to Civic soon I hope you guys don't have to face any service or parts related issue because of this. Wishing you many happy miles ahead.
Carpainter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2021, 22:38   #269
BHPian

Congratulations on you beautiful red Civic. It looks amazing.

My MT City gives a fuel efficiency of 10-11 km in the city in moderate traffic conditions, and around 12-13 in mixed driving of city and highway. Would like to know how you are managing the same mileage with Civic AT. Am I missing something here?

Wish you have a great journey with Toby.
Old 3rd January 2021, 23:45   #270
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssenhyd View Post

One precaution would be to follow the *severe* maintenance schedule that is recommended as short drive city driving with stop and go traffic, is exactly what severe driving condition states in the Honda Service Manual..
Noted. Will try to follow this schedule. I had also read your earlier posts in the thread about how you maintain your car. Appreciable!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamilharis View Post
Yes HONDA is reliable but still I would suggest you to go for the 5 year extended warranty as the car has been discontinued already.

It's gonna be difficult for you to sell this car off, even after 15 years or this might even outlast you.
Thanks! Already took the 5 year warranty. Considering I'm in my early thirties I sincerely hope the car doesn't outlast me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpainter View Post
Wishing you many happy miles ahead.
Thank you! I think you should strongly consider the new Compass. Seems like a great package.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breathe2drive View Post
Would like to know how you are managing the same mileage with Civic AT. Am I missing something here?

Wish you have a great journey with Toby.
Thank you! My city driving has been in a decent amount of traffic. I am using a light foot - following the directions of the LED that turns white every time I push the throttle!
andafunda is offline   (7) Thanks

Most Viewed