Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 31st July 2019, 08:51   #46
BHPian

Re: Maruti 1.5L Diesel : Official Review (Ciaz, Ertiga)

For folks not convinced about the engine just because its a Maruti, please go and drive it. I have a remapped Brezza, and have driven my relative's Rapid 1.5 (DSG gearbox), and took test drives of the Vento TDI DSG and Rapid. This 1.5DDIS is just a brilliant engine. At least till 120kmph, it masks any weakness the engine might have. Since I don't own a car with the engine, could never take it on longer multi-hour highway drives to understand any weakness it might have.

The weakness of the Ciaz is definitely not its engine, and this engine would be great in all the Maruti cars for sure. It holds itself well against the competition and I guess, only the Hyundai diesel beats it in refinement and power delivery.
krish3 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2019, 21:04   #47
BHPian

Amazing review as always. I own a Vitara Brezza and its good to see that this engine improved upon most aspects which are lacking in the car such as refinement and terrible turbo lag. Almost makes me envy the fact that next year it will be offered in the car making it a much better package.
shivamk11 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2019, 14:07   #48
Senior - BHPian

It's great to know that Maruti-Suzuki has delivered a capable diesel engine and taken care of the refinement aspect, which Honda missed.

However, I found this review so much unlike a Team-Bhp review. It seems like the reviewer had very low expectations from the 1.5 diesel engine and the only benchmark seems to be the more-than-a-decade old Fiat 1.3 engine. So, the review sounds more like an eulogy similar to the lines of the Kia Seltos reviews floating around currently. There are a lot of capable diesel engines in the similar segments from Hyundai, VW/Skoda,Ford, Tata, Mahindra, Honda etc with whom Maruti will be competing with. Shouldn't we put the review in the correct perspective rather than just praising Maruti because they have delivered a better engine than the old 1.3 DDIS.

Last edited by adimicra : 17th August 2019 at 14:09.
adimicra is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2019, 13:34   #49
Distinguished - BHPian

Maruti Suzuki likely to update its 1.5L diesel engine to meet BS6 norms

Maruti Suzuki is likely to update its 1.5l diesel engine to BS6.

Gets the VW Golf TDI for bench marking.
Maruti 1.5L Diesel : Official Review (Ciaz, Ertiga)-1.jpg

Quote:
VW now claims that the new generation 2.0-litre TDI Evo diesel emits 80% less NOx in real-world driving scenario compared to its predecessor with the same displacement.

Maruti 1.5L Diesel : Official Review (Ciaz, Ertiga)-marutitestingvwgolftdi.jpg

Maruti 1.5L Diesel : Official Review (Ciaz, Ertiga)-vwgolftdispotted.jpg

Link
volkman10 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2019, 14:04   #50
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post

The irony in benchmarking a diesel vs that of VW's - the biggest fraudster & the company that permanently gave diesels a bad name.

On the other hand, I hope that Maruti picks up on the following points after testing the Golf:

- Safety
- Quality
- Solid build
- Suspension maturity
GTO is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2019, 14:11   #51
BHPian

The same car was spotted testing an year ago: Link (VW Golf GTD spotted in Bangalore)
BigBrad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2019, 14:16   #52
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBrad View Post
The same car was spotted testing an year ago: Link (VW Golf GTD spotted in Bangalore)
Bosch could be the common factor that you see between Maruti Suzuki and VW.

MS would have imported the car and trials are jointly done between Maruti and Bosch.
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2019, 14:25   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Attachment 1912293

Attachment 1912294

Attachment 1912295

Link
Irony of ironies: The VW Golf TDI's kerb weight would be equal to 2 Baleno's or 3 Ignis'!!?? How does one benchmark a VW Golf with a Maruti product?! We all know to take VW's claims of diesel 'cleanliness' with a ton of salt.
Old 3rd September 2019, 14:35   #54
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Link
Trying properly understand this. Is this Golf powered by the 2.0 TDI Evo? Or they've retrofitted it with a revised 1.5 here for testing?
How exactly will a 2.0 of a different maker be used to benchmark a Suzuki 1.5? Wouldn't it be a better idea to use a 1.5 TDI for benchmarking? Of course it all depends on what parameters they really are benchmarking though. But a like-for-like comparison generally is better when someone has stolen the lead and you are really lagging behind and trying to catch-up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The irony in benchmarking a diesel vs that of VW's - the biggest fraudster & the company that permanently gave diesels a bad name.
Good one! I hope this Golf is tuned properly and without any test cheat software left behind. Otherwise Suzuki will make a bigger news name in due course!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
On the other hand, I hope that Maruti picks up on the following points after testing the Golf:

- Safety
- Quality
- Solid build
- Suspension maturity
Quite poetic that thought! My screen shows the above as "Hope spring's eternal".
Old 3rd September 2019, 15:24   #55
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango Dude View Post
----The VW Golf TDI's kerb weight would be equal to 2 Baleno's or 3 Ignis'!!?? How does one benchmark a VW Golf with a Maruti product?! ---

Do not forget, they have a 7 Seater Vitara coming shortly.
Old 3rd September 2019, 15:25   #56
BHPian

Re: Maruti Suzuki likely to update its 1.5L diesel engine to meet BS6 norms

I think more than benchmarking the emission, the top honchos should be provided these Golfs to see the differences in build quality and safety so they can benchmark these qualities. They are benchmarking something that VW themselves are proven to have fudged.

Off topic!!! I wonder what cars these honchos at Maruti drive? I hope they stay true to their word of saying the cars Indians drive don't need airbags or sunroofs and drive cars accordingly.
Old 3rd September 2019, 15:36   #57
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Maruti Suzuki likely to update its 1.5L diesel engine to meet BS6 norms

Maruti would probably want to reverse engineer the emission management system for a low cost. I have difficulty in believing that they are using Golf for benchmarking build quality, drive quality etc.

But irony of the decade for sure.
Old 3rd September 2019, 22:06   #58
Distinguished - BHPian

Ciaz 1.5 DDIS : Test Drive

I drove the car for around 25 Kms. Overall, I am very impressed with the engine.

Observations:

1. Refinement is really good. I was shocked to notice that there was minimal sound inside cabin while idling, even on cold start. I redlined the car couple of times in 2nd gear and the engine refinement was just great.

2. Minimal turbo lag. The car just pulls. Effective power band is 1500-4500 RPM. It's a free revving engine. The power delivery is very linear, but the car is quick. 0-140 timings are almost same as S-Cross 1.6 .

3. Top end : This deserves a special mention. I don't remember any other stock diesel engine which has good power above 4000 RPM, but the Suzuki 1.5 DDIS will revv freely and makes decent power even above 4000 RPM.

4. I found the steering to be heavy , this was not typical Maruti steering. I had always found the steering lighter in Ciaz 1.3 and 1.4. Not sure if the tyre pressure was low.

5. Brakes lacked initial bite. There was lot of brake fade too after high speed braking.

6. Handling is neutral. Not at all bad for a family sedan.

7. Ride comfort is good. Didn't find any difference compared to pre-facelift.

Sad part is the sales for Ciaz 1.5 DDIS are below average. 1.5 petrol sells 70-80 percent as per SA. Maruti has really done their homework well , thanks to the failure of Celerio diesel.
Dr.Naren is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 4th September 2019, 14:13   #59
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Do not forget, they have a 7 Seater Vitara coming shortly.
I pray to god that MSIL won't power a 7 seater Vitara SUV with a 1.5L diesel that currently is tuned only to 95PS. Alright that Seltos, Creta et al will do their business with 1.5 CRDi. And also accepted that Mahindra has plonked the 1.5 diesel engine in a 7 seater Marazzo also. But then the Hyundai/KIA are small cars and 1.5 diesel has been reported to be adequate & not a road burner. Marazzo is an MPV not focussed at performance driving at all. The Vitara will come as a "premium" SUV from Maruti Suzuki. They better plan it properly. I don't see it selling against the Seltos-Creta duo unless it has a powerful engine rather than typical Maruti mileage centered engine. I hope Maruti looks back at history & remember what made the Swift such popular & favourite. It was popular & fun to drive unlike any other car around it! Thats what will strike it again for Vitara.

I hope Suzuki is working on a 2.0L DDiS instead to keep it on the table besides those from VW, FIAT, M&M, Tata (suspected). And thats what this 2.0 TDI EVO is being used for!
Old 4th September 2019, 14:24   #60
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
---
I hope Suzuki is working on a 2.0L DDiS --
They can pick the new generation of power-trains from Toyota, if the need arise.

Link (Toyota reveals its next-generation powertrains)
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed