Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th June 2021, 13:13   #271
BHPian

Re: Maruti XL6 : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
Not sure what the prices are in your city, but in mine there is barely any gap between petrol and diesel prices:
[/ATTACH]
Off topic, in Bangalore difference between petrol and diesel is typically about 7-8 Rs/liter.
If the prices are closer/same like in your city, then choice of diesel car is even more obvious given the superior mileage even in city conditions.
srvm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2021, 21:26   #272
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srvm View Post
Off topic, in Bangalore difference between petrol and diesel is typically about 7-8 Rs/liter.
If the prices are closer/same like in your city, then choice of diesel car is even more obvious given the superior mileage even in city conditions.
The math will not work out unless you end up driving a minimum of 100K Kms (assuming an average F.E difference of 5kmpl and avg. fuel price difference of 5 Rs per ltr). This is without factoring in the additional cost of maintaining a diesel - turbo vehicle. For most people who drive about 10-12K kms per annum, the petrol XL6 makes a lot more sense.
procrj is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th July 2021, 21:23   #273
BHPian

Bought mine on 1st July.
Clocked 1400km. Adding 500km more tomorrow.

Shifted to 16 inch + 205/55 Yokos. Sharing some pics
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti XL6 : Official Review-img_20210705_204723.jpg  

Maruti XL6 : Official Review-img_20210705_204704.jpg  

Maruti XL6 : Official Review-img_20210705_204656.jpg  

Maruti XL6 : Official Review-img_20210705_204645.jpg  

Maruti XL6 : Official Review-img_20210705_193643.jpg  

BunnyPunia is offline   (27) Thanks
Old 5th July 2021, 21:46   #274
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunnyPunia View Post
Bought mine on 1st July.

Congratulations on the new acquisition. The 16 inchers look dope and lift the stance of the vehicle by a lot. Wonder why Maruti could not provide it in the factory spec as an option considering they do so on the XL7 in the ASEAN nations. I was waiting for a video on this after seeing the delivery picture you shared on the community post on Youtube. Surprised to see you post here first.

Does the lower profile affect the plush ride of the vehicle negatively?

P.S: Which variant/transmission did you get?

Last edited by sierrabravo98 : 5th July 2021 at 21:48. Reason: Typos and addition.
Old 5th July 2021, 21:59   #275
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierrabravo98 View Post
Congratulations on the new acquisition. The 16 inchers look dope and lift the stance of the vehicle by a lot. Wonder why Maruti could not provide it in the factory spec as an option considering they do so on the XL7 in the ASEAN nations. I was waiting for a video on this after seeing the delivery picture you shared on the community post on Youtube. Surprised to see you post here first.

Does the lower profile affect the plush ride of the vehicle negatively?

P.S: Which variant/transmission did you get?
Thanks!
Drove about 10km today post the fitment and have a 550km trip tomorrow. Today didnt feel anything bad / negative. Will update post the long drive tomm.
I went for Zeta MT mainly as its under 10 lac ex-showroom and hence lower RTO (in Delhi, abov 10 lac, RTO percentage goes up). Plus, though i like the 4-speed AT old school, I have lot of highway driving and hence need the 5th cog. Got the camera from Alpha fitted. Didnt need leather seats due to Delhi heat / sun. So pretty much sorted.

As for video, yes yes, it will go online soon. Just too many shoots around these days
BunnyPunia is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 6th July 2021, 06:16   #276
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Bought mine on 1st July.

Congratulations on your acquisition. That wheel change has completely transformed the look of the car. Do share your experience with them. Since the tyres are wider, did you face any difficulty in turning wheel to wheel? Any scraping?
BoneCollector is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th July 2021, 19:10   #277
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks!
Drove about 10km today post the fitment and have a 550km trip tomorrow. Today didnt feel anything bad / negative. Will update post the long drive tomm.
sun. So pretty much sorted.

As for video, yes yes, it will go online soon. Just too many shoots around these days
Wow. That’s a big upsize. Am sure you will take it to he hills. Interested to know your thoughts on the ride quality. Is it a good upgrade the 16 inches?
Old 3rd August 2021, 22:07   #278
Distinguished - BHPian

Innova seems to have crashed into a parked XL6. Looking at the damage to the Innova, I expected the XL6 to be in pretty bad state. From the pics, the XL6 seems to have taken the impact well

Source: https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid...73724006567443

Maruti XL6 : Official Review-c1.jpg
Maruti XL6 : Official Review-c3.jpg
Maruti XL6 : Official Review-c2.jpg
Maruti XL6 : Official Review-c4.jpg
procrj is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th August 2021, 14:48   #279
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
Innova seems to have crashed into a parked XL6. Looking at the damage to the Innova, I expected the XL6 to be in pretty bad state.
That would have been the case if the offset between the cars was lesser. Since the Innova has a ladder frame chassis, the damaged part of the Innova mainly the headlights and the fender do not contribute to the structure of the car and hence would just crumple and break. The front end of the ladder frame has just missed being hit and is visible in the picture. Just its edge extension is hit and that itself has made more damage to the bumper corner of the XL6 compared to the rest of the area. Compared to that in a monocoque, the area which is damaged would contain the apron and the engine support members which contribute to the structure of the car. Hence, even if a monocoque car like the XL6 would have a head on with the Innova with the same offset, the Innova would take more of the damage. A few months ago there was a picture of an Omni crashing into an Innova and that also had a similar scene where the Innova headlight and fender was ripped off.

Had the offset been lesser and the ladder frame was involved, the whole scene would have turned around. Thats the difference between how these cars are built to take damage.

Last edited by audioholic : 4th August 2021 at 14:52.
audioholic is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 8th August 2021, 13:00   #280
BHPian

I am faced with a dilemma and I was hoping our T-Bhp community could help me. I currently have a 2017 Honda City VX CVT that I bought in December last year. It’s a nice enough car, but it feels super light and I hate the drive feel. The droning of the CVT just gets on my nerves. I know, I know! I should have taken a longer test drive before buying it, but the used car dealer I bought it from was in Borivali and it just wasn’t possible to go beyond 40-50 kmph at that location. I also know that having owned a Punto here in India and then, a Mazda CX-5 and a BMW X3 M40i in the US, I’m permanently spoiled as far as my definition of a “good car” is concerned.
Anyway, these days, I’m finding myself looking at the XL6 more and more. The flexibility of 6 seats as opposed to 5 is very attractive when going together someplace as a family. Also, the sheer reliability of Maruti is something I miss, though, to be fair, the City hasn’t given me any trouble so far.
What do you guys think? Does a swap make sense? Will I be able to get a decent price for the City? I have a running 3 yr loan on it and I don’t know what kind of options one has here in India. Would appreciate any guidance you guys can provide.

Last edited by sumobom4 : 8th August 2021 at 13:17. Reason: Clarified driveability
Old 8th August 2021, 13:08   #281
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumobom4 View Post
I am faced with a dilemma and I was hoping our T-Bhp community could help me. I currently have a 2017 Honda City VX CVT that I bought in December last year. It’s a nice enough car, but it feels super light and I hate the drive feel. I know, I know! I should have taken a longer test drive before buying it, but the used car dealer I bought it from was in Borivali and it just wasn’t possible to go beyond 40-50 kmph at that location. I also know that having owned a Punto here in India and then, a Mazda CX-5 and a BMW X3 M40i in the US, I’m permanently spoiled as far as my definition of a “good car” is concerned.
Anyway, these days, I’m finding myself looking at the XL6 more and more. The flexibility of 6 seats as opposed to 5 is very attractive when going together someplace as a family. Also, the sheer reliability of Maruti is something I miss, though, to be fair, the City hasn’t given me any trouble so far.
What do you guys think? Does a swap make sense? Will I be able to get a decent price for the City? I have a running 3 yr loan on it and I don’t know what kind of options one has here in India. Would appreciate any guidance you guys can provide.
If you are not happy with a light weight Honda city how can you look at XL6. It is even lighter. Better you look at a Marazzo, Safari or wait for XUV700
NICHE is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2021, 13:20   #282
BHPian

Quote:
Anyway, these days, I’m finding myself looking at the XL6 more and more. The flexibility of 6 seats as opposed to 5 is very attractive when going together someplace as a family. Also, the sheer reliability of Maruti is something I miss, though, to be fair, the City hasn’t given me any trouble so far
You will not be happy with XL6 build if you are not happy with Citi. It's more or less. Better look elsewhere. Do not look at Maruti, Hyundai, Honda etc.
blorebuddy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2021, 00:45   #283
BHPian

You guys are absolutely right. I will either have to make my peace with the tinny build, or save up to be able to afford a new Harrier or the upcoming XUV 700.

What about my other question? Is it possible to close out a loan on your old car using proceeds from the sale and start a new loan on a new car? Here, in India?
Old 9th August 2021, 02:22   #284
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I am faced with a dilemma and I was hoping our T-Bhp community could help me.
Since I've driven 4th Gen City quite a bit, I'd like to put down a few things

-Honda feels much more refined, the XL6's engine sounds boomy at higher revvs. That sound may not be to everyone's liking. I find it sporty.

-Again the Honda revvs more smoothly but without much pep, the Maruti feels more energetic and better tuned for day to day use. Low end torque is K15s forte.

-Honda feels better screwed together, but both are prone to rattles and squeaks. Heck even my cousin's 5th Gen City has dashboard rattles. So there isn't much of a difference there.

-I hated the steering on newer Citys. They needed constant corrections and the extremely light steering didn't give much confidence either. The car felt like floating on the road without much contact/grip. The XL6 is better in that regard. May be that's the "light" feeling you are talking about.

Unless you really need the space and comfort for cheap, it doesn't make sense to sell your City and go for XL6. Wouldn't be a true upgrade. I wouldn't recommend something like Harrier/XUV either since there have been enough reports of issues on them and they seem like half baked products at best. Tata/Mahindras need a couple of versions to really sort out the niggles. Period.

My advice would be to look at Crysta if you really plan an upgrade. The Crysta feels invincible and rock solid at highway speeds. Do try it out and I'm sure you will like it. The higher variants also look rich on the inside.

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th August 2021, 18:47   #285
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
Since I've driven 4th Gen City quite a bit, I'd like to put down a few things

-Honda feels much more refined, the XL6's engine sounds boomy at higher revvs. That sound may not be to everyone's liking. I find it sporty.

-Again the Honda revvs more smoothly but without much pep, the Maruti feels more energetic and better tuned for day to day use. Low end torque is K15s forte.

-Honda feels better screwed together, but both are prone to rattles and squeaks. Heck even my cousin's 5th Gen City has dashboard rattles. So there isn't much of a difference there.

-I hated the steering on newer Citys. They needed constant corrections and the extremely light steering didn't give much confidence either. The car felt like floating on the road without much contact/grip. The XL6 is better in that regard. May be that's the "light" feeling you are talking about.

Unless you really need the space and comfort for cheap, it doesn't make sense to sell your City and go for XL6. Wouldn't be a true upgrade. I wouldn't recommend something like Harrier/XUV either since there have been enough reports of issues on them and they seem like half baked products at best. Tata/Mahindras need a couple of versions to really sort out the niggles. Period.

My advice would be to look at Crysta if you really plan an upgrade. The Crysta feels invincible and rock solid at highway speeds. Do try it out and I'm sure you will like it. The higher variants also look rich on the inside.

Regards,
Shashi
Thanks for the detailed reply, Shashi! This is super helpful. You're right about the steering contributing to the "light" feeling. It feels so vague at high speeds on the Mumbai Pune expressway! I guess the key is to test drive the XL6 and see how it feels for myself. I will try and get a test vehicle that has been abused as well as one that's fairly new, maybe with different dealerships. That way, I guess I can see how the vehicle feels in general, as well as how it tends to hold up over time. I am not looking for an upgrade in the traditional sense, but more of a change to a more comfortable vehicle with good visibility in traffic. I will also look at used Crystas like you suggested, but a lot of them are at 1L km+ at my budget; more research to be done. Any car at my budget (10-11L) is going to be a compromise anyway in some form or the other. So, for now, my options seem to be the following.

1. Keep the City and maybe fix the rattles
2. Sell the City and get a new XL6
3. Sell the City and get a used but hopefully not abused Crysta

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks