Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th February 2020, 18:17   #106
BHPian

Re: Maruti XL6 : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by HornNotOkPlease View Post

Does anyone have an idea of the longevity of these units? Hope it lasts a while as it would be a very costly affair to replace them on regular basis as I am used to doing on my Ritz for the halogen bulbs.
All LED headlights irrespective of car/manufacturer (either projector / reflector based)
- are sealed units
- use LED Chips to give out light. No crappy LED bulbs.
- have adequate ventilation to prevent overheating of the LED drivers and chips.

Regarding the longevity, these units will outlast the car.

Last edited by drhoneycake : 10th February 2020 at 18:18.
drhoneycake is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 29th February 2020, 12:23   #107
BHPian

Ran into this nice feature in the head unit, planning to verify the claims though by comparing it to some mileage tracking appsMaruti XL6 : Official Review-cf39555725204dd8a963dc11885e95d7.jpeg
HornNotOkPlease is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2020, 18:10   #108
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HornNotOkPlease View Post
Ran into this nice feature in the head unit, planning to verify the claims though by comparing it to some mileage tracking appsAttachment 1975039
Thanks for sharing

How does one reach this feature?
Old 18th March 2020, 08:21   #109
BHPian

My XL6 Alpha Automatic has now completed 5 months and 5.5k kms. Mostly happy so far with Zero bugs.

MILEAGE
Mileage in Bangalore city (12kms in 1hr kind of) has been 9-10 kmpl and on highways with very sedate driving have achieved 16kmpl but normally I get 11-14 kmpl.

Last few mileage logs on full tank -
16.35 (Kerala trip)
11.04 (Kerala trip - Aggressive driving)
12.71 (Kerala trip - Aggressive driving)
9.42 (Bangalore City)
10.62 (Bangalore City)
13.25 (Kerala trip)
14.36 (Kerala trip)
12.39 (Kerala trip)
9.79 (Bangalore City)

RIDE

Lot of reviews say ride is soft, but I prefer to differ. I am not sure if it is because I am coming from a Duster. I feel XL6 ride quality is neither soft nor stiff. I have been trying to experiment with the tyre pressures to find the right softness without luck so far

HANDLING

When you buy an XL6, in many ways you have already sacrificed to become a sedate driver. Vehicle also responds the same way. 100kmph on the ODO itself feels like a lot of speed. I have never gone more than 110-120 because of the "speed feel". In comparison Duster felt very stable at those speeds and my previous XUV500 felt 100 at 140!
This is where I wish to upgrade my rubber, but 205 with 16 inchers I have been reading mixed responses. If anyone has upgraded to 205 / 16 please update experience (esp rear wheel well concerns)

BRAKING
Just about average. Bite is less and more spongy. But we get used to it. No concerns as such.

BUILD QUALITY
So far so good. My 2011 swift started rattles from 5k kms. XL6 seems to be quite so far. Doors are heavy if not anything else.

DRIVING and GEARBOX
This is a tricky one. As I said above, the moment you take XL6, get ready to be sedate. If not, get ready to be disappointed.
MODE 1 Sedate
XL6 is simply outstanding. Great quite refined engine. Peppy engine lower down. At 4th (OD), cruises in low rpm at 100kmph. Great feel, great mileage. Overtakes should be very calculated and extra sedate. 10/10
MODE 2 - Aggressive

As your floor the accelerator, more than power, disappointment kicks in. Gearbox is extremely confused on what to do, where to shift, how to shift and what not. You hear a lot of sound from the engine. Sometimes 2nd gear, sometimes even 1st, but is there enough power, NO! (Did someone say XL6 is more powerful than 1.6L SX4, common on you are kiddin me!). Vehicle roars when downshifting happens but the surge of power is very minimal and overtakes have to be calculated well. Since it revs so much, there is a lot of panic kicking in for driver while doing those ghat overtakes. Suzuki has given option to switch off 4th gear using OD button, but even then, it is all similar, nothing to take away from the engine or gearbox.
SOLUTION: Drive always in MODE 1

SEATING
First row normal. But there is a "reach" problem with the steering. But nothing concerning. Wish it had more reach. Same issue was reported by my friend who is 5'10" and I am 5'6"
Second row is the place to be. All money was invested for the captains and it lives up to the expectation. Plush and airy.
Third row. Better than Ertiga bcoz of the captains in middle. More legroom through the centre and more airy feel. Third rows can accommodate adults for medium range trips.

OVERALL
HAPPY, super Happy. Because the past 3 cars I have had have been 1) Corolla Altis (Worlds Best!), 2) XUV500 and 3) Duster. 1 and 3 have been the BEST and 2 has been horrible in terms braking, ride and handling. I lost a few lakhs after investing in the brand new 2018 XUV500. With it a lot of 'aggressiveness' also got culled in me. And then I decided on XL6 and after 5.5k kms it gives me immense pleasure with zero bugs, no nonsense, good mileage, automatic companion and a people mover. And the difference I have from my yester year cars is that lately I let my wife drive and relax is second or third row lol

Once again posting my question - Any XL6 or Ertiga owners who have upsize to 205 16 please share experience.

Last edited by sam_sant2005 : 18th March 2020 at 08:43.
sam_sant2005 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 12th July 2020, 04:40   #110
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys need a quick advice. Should the stock Ecopias be changed immediately after delivery or is it fine and we can do upgrades when it wears out?

Price quoted for 195/65R15 Goodyear Assurance TripleMAX 2 is Rs. 4200 while buyback for Ecopia would be Rs. 3200 per tyre.

Fresh stock isn't available in Michelin, Continental or Yokohama. They are at least a year old, and hence I'm not considering them.

Goodyears won't be a huge upgrade from the Bridgestones IMO. What do you guys think?

Regards,
Shashi
Old 12th July 2020, 14:50   #111
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
Guys need a quick advice. Should the stock Ecopias be changed immediately after delivery or is it fine and we can do upgrades when it wears out?
The stock Ecopias perform well. You don't need upsizing either, so why spend?
SS-Traveller is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2020, 15:51   #112
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
The stock Ecopias perform well. You don't need upsizing either, so why spend?
I was planning to upgrade to 195/65R15 Michelin P4ST, but it seems there is no fresh stock available due to lockdown. The size is preferred as it increases the sidewall a bit, and also helps mask the under tyred look of XL6 to some extent.

Also there is a doubt if the upgraded size will fit inside the spare tyre carrier. So have discarded the tyre change plan altogether.

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2020, 08:27   #113
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Fresh stock isn't available in Michelin, Continental or Yokohama. They are at least a year old, and hence I'm not considering them.
Knowing how particular you are, you should definitely go for these better tyres. The consensus on this thread (including from tyre guru Nikhil) is that 1-year old tyres are okay. I just got new Dunlops for my car and they are a bit old too (same reason as yours).
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th July 2020, 20:09   #114
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Knowing how particular you are, you should definitely go for these better tyres. The consensus on this thread (including from tyre guru Nikhil) is that 1-year old tyres are okay. I just got new Dunlops for my car and they are a bit old too (same reason as yours).
This is the latest I'm getting: 3618 Michelin XM2.

Maruti XL6 : Official Review-20200713_190030.jpg

36th week of 2018 means almost 2 year old Tyres. Although the dealer has compensated and offered a killer deal for the swap. I personally know the owner and he has assured that he will change tyres for any kind of issue, irrespective of Michelin's decision.

What should I do? Please advise

Last edited by Leoshashi : 13th July 2020 at 20:22.
Leoshashi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2020, 20:21   #115
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
What should I do? Please advice
Considering the overall sedate/ mature nature of the XL6 petrol - I think you should retain the stock tyres. It is meant for comfortable travels and cruising, which it does comfortably on the stock tyres IMHO. This is not a car which rewards you to push the vehicle to it's limit.

Looks undertyred with the stock set up - yes.

I remember Parag commenting on Ertiga running comfortably with 195/65 R15. So maybe that can be thought about - if you absolutely need the upgrade.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 13th July 2020, 20:24   #116
Distinguished - BHPian

The personal assurance by the dealer is a real nice cushion to fall back upon if anything goes wrong. And given your equation with most of the people you deal with, I know that it will be honoured.

I think you should grasp it; especially if the deal is as great as you mention. Also, if your running is going to be high, you will run out of the treads before the ’use by’ date, so the manufacturing date will hardly matter.

All that is iff you decide to upgrade the rubbers; else in my opinion, unless you are aggressive in driving and braking, you may also consider running on the stock rubbers.

Regards.
saket77 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th July 2020, 20:26   #117
BHPian

I would say go for it. Tyres have a shelf life of around 3 years. I know it's rubber and fresh stock is always good, but considering the "killer deal" you are getting, the decrease in performance of the so called old stock of tyres would be negligible.

Michlien and Yokohama tyres are not so popular in our region and most of the times the dealer would get 4-6 month old tyres. So probably the dealer must be holding the tyres since 1.5 years. If you also minus the period of lockdown of around three months, the deal is not bad I would say.
Blow Horn Ok is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th July 2020, 20:36   #118
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
I remember Parag commenting on Ertiga running comfortably with 195/65 R15. So maybe that can be thought about - if you absolutely need the upgrade.
Yes indeed. I had shared with Shashi the link to that post where I had uploaded images for 185 65, 195 65 as well as 205 60 since I had installed and used these tyres in all these years in all conditions (loads) and roads.

As you rightly mention, 185 certainly looks under tired. In terms of handling, I still felt the 205 60 did a better job than then 195 65 probably due to tad shorter sidewall in the former. But 205 on 5.5J rims means you are underutilizing the width of 205.

@Shashi, 195 65 is precisely not the right upgrade but it is 195 60 . But that reduces the GC that you get from the stock tires. 195 65 will also results in marginal speedo error (hence Odo) but I have been living with it without any issues since last 85K kms. And since there have been apprehensions regarding 195 65 scrapping the wheel arches on full load or scraping the bumper or wheel wells on full lock turns, I had already explained that you will face zero issues with these even on full load as long as rims or alloys are stock with the right offset. So that should not be your concern at all.

Last edited by paragsachania : 13th July 2020 at 20:37.
paragsachania is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 13th July 2020, 22:15   #119
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Considering the overall sedate/ mature nature of the XL6 petrol - I think you should retain the stock tyres. It is meant for comfortable travels and cruising, which it does comfortably on the stock tyres IMHO. This is not a car which rewards you to push the vehicle to it's limit.

Looks undertyred with the stock set up - yes.

I'm a sedate driver too. Also this car has been bought for fatigue free travel more than anything else. The only reason why I'm willing to get something better:

1. Will help with Undertyred look
2. Michelins will improve the ride quality(also aided by slightly taller sidewall)
3. Tyre noise will surely reduce.
4. TD car had done close to 10k kms, and Ecopias on them already looked like JKs, if you know what I mean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
The personal assurance by the dealer is a real nice cushion to fall back upon if anything goes wrong. And given your equation with most of the people you deal with, I know that it will be honoured.
Yes, this is what made me reconsider the decision. I know the owner well and I have absolutely nothing to worry if these tyres face any kind of issue. Also the deal is simply awesome, I'm paying less than Rs. 1k per tyre for the swap.

Meanwhile I had also pinged DBHPian NikhilB for his opinion and he too gave a green signal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blow Horn Ok View Post
Michlien and Yokohama tyres are not so popular in our region and most of the times the dealer would get 4-6 month old tyres. So probably the dealer must be holding the tyres since 1.5 years. If you also minus the period of lockdown of around three months, the deal is not bad I would say.
Also what has been confirmed is that there won't be any fresh stock of Michelins coming in next few months. Even in their depot, they have 18 make tyres. I have checked with dealers in multiple cities, all have stock of same batch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
And since there have been apprehensions regarding 195 65 scrapping the wheel arches on full load or scraping the bumper or wheel wells on full lock turns, I had already explained that you will face zero issues with these even on full load as long as rims or alloys are stock with the right offset. So that should not be your concern at all.
Going ahead with the swap after your assurance.

Meanwhile, some PDI pics for you all :

Maruti XL6 : Official Review-img20200713wa0078.jpg

Maruti XL6 : Official Review-img20200713wa0082.jpg

Maruti XL6 : Official Review-img20200713wa0083.jpg

Maruti XL6 : Official Review-img20200713wa0084.jpg

Maruti XL6 : Official Review-img20200713wa0086.jpg

Maruti XL6 : Official Review-img20200713wa0088.jpg

Maruti XL6 : Official Review-img20200713wa0089.jpg

Maruti XL6 : Official Review-img20200713wa0090.jpg

Maruti XL6 : Official Review-img20200713wa0091.jpg

Maruti XL6 : Official Review-img20200713wa0092.jpg

Maruti XL6 : Official Review-img20200713wa0093.jpg

Maruti XL6 : Official Review-img20200713wa0094.jpg

Maruti XL6 : Official Review-img20200713wa0095.jpg

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 13th July 2020, 23:49   #120
Distinguished - BHPian

@Shashi - Congratulations, the color works well with the vehicle.

The very last picture makes it clear why you may want to change them tyres, in the run upto make the car fuel efficient the tires have very shallow tread at least by the looks of it.

XM2 looks like the way to go, if the rim allows go for 205, for Ciaz that's the ideal size and I think this too should get that size. Back in the day the i20 5 star safety stickered car used to come with a 195 profile Apollo accelere, from that time onwards anything bigger than an i20 in my mind should get a 205
Kosfactor is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks