Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd January 2020, 14:00   #136
BHPian

Re: Hyundai Kona : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
It's terrible on bad roads, acceptable on clean tarmac. Hyundai had to firm things up way too much for the battery weight & other changes. I took the Kona to Pawna and was literally clenching my teeth & tightening my butt before hitting a bad patch or pothole. But other than this, I enjoyed the highway drive .

Anyone interested in electric cars must read my thread on the topic.
Such a disappointment. I was eyeing Kona, but now not so sure. Only reason to buy Kona is long rides, and I can't find any roads that doesn't have bad stretches in my destinations. With my back problems, I am wondering if I'd be making a mistake with Kona.
Old 2nd January 2020, 14:12   #137
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkollar View Post
Such a disappointment. I was eyeing Kona, but now not so sure. Only reason to buy Kona is long rides, and I can't find any roads that doesn't have bad stretches in my destinations. With my back problems, I am wondering if I'd be making a mistake with Kona.
Yes, Kona has a harsh ride and the ground clearance isn't that great.
Why don't you look at MG ZS or the Nexon EV. They might offer a better ride.
Nexon in it's fossil fueled avatar has better ride, but not sure how the electric one rides as the battery, drive train are different.
ZS EV definitely felt better in the very short drive I took. Take a long test drive before finalizing.
speedmiester is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2020, 14:22   #138
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmiester View Post
Why don't you look at MG ZS or the Nexon EV. They might offer a better ride.
Nexon in it's fossil fueled avatar has better ride, but not sure how the electric one rides as the battery, drive train are different.
ZS EV definitely felt better in the very short drive I took. Take a long test drive before finalizing.
I already have an E2O and love it as a city car. I wanted a vehicle that could do long trips of 300-400km with just a pit stop charging. Kona seems to be the answer.

MG ZS and Nexon have lesser range. Till fast chargers come up on highways they may not be a good choice. :(
Old 6th January 2020, 16:11   #139
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkirwadi View Post
Here`s how they set it up in my apartment
Finally got the earthing at my house redone to meet Hyundai’s requirements and had the charger installed.
Hyundai Kona : Official Review-69077b92ee18452ebb759169cfcd3ee2.jpeg
reihem is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 6th January 2020, 20:46   #140
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripy002 View Post
I have a 3 phase connection but the load sanctioned is only 6KW. That's what the whole society has. So I guess first I need to take permission from the corporative housing society then apply for it at electricity distribution dept.
Thanks for the help.
If you are running a 3 phase connection with 6kW sanctioned load, it means that the meter you are running will go till 50Amps. That would mean you can go to almost 30kW, without really updating the wiring. All you need to do is give a application to MSEB for increasing the sanctioned load. Most probably they will increase your sanctioned load and just increase the fixed charges from 300 to 500 or so .

I have actually dedicated one phase for the 7.2kW charger, putting the solar invertor on one phase and the 15Amp on the third one. The house is divided between the later two phases.

And just check if the building has a Lightening arrestor, it may be a good idea to have one for the rains. Last thing I want is lightening destroying my dear.
mohanphadnis is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th January 2020, 23:09   #141
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohanphadnis View Post
If you are running a 3 phase connection with 6kW sanctioned load, it means that the meter you are running will go till 50Amps.
The Hyundai electrician said as much; suggested I head over to my local EB office and ask for an increase in sanctioned load. Currently it’s 5kW.

Last edited by ampere : 15th January 2020 at 18:52. Reason: Trimmed quoted post
Old 10th January 2020, 19:29   #142
BHPian

Quote:
Booked a NEXON EV, in the hope that it will offer atleast 250+Km real range. Sounds difficult.

Last edited by ampere : 15th January 2020 at 18:52. Reason: Trimmed quoted post
Old 10th January 2020, 19:40   #143
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Booked a NEXON EV, in the hope that it will offer atleast 250+Km real range. Sounds difficult.
Good to know. Which dealer did you book with?
Nexon will offer 250-260KM+ real world usage on highways. This was confirmed by Tata Motors representative who visited my residence.
speedmiester is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 12th January 2020, 05:28   #144

Quote:

I have actually dedicated one phase for the 7.2kW charger, putting the solar invertor on one phase and the 15Amp on the third one. The house is divided between the later two phases....
That sounds like a really smart electrical wiring setup with a 3 phase.
I might have to find a good electrician who can do the same at my place.
Thanks for the information.
Old 12th January 2020, 19:24   #145
BHPian

My first time using the fast charger !

Hyundai Kona : Official Review-cd0b13b0a6ac4bbaae901b99ad31a945.jpeg

Hyundai Kona : Official Review-c48ed8dfd96d4411b28876230bc30ba4.jpeg
reihem is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 13th January 2020, 10:14   #146
BHPian

Quote:
Good to know. Which dealer did you book with?
Nexon will offer 250-260KM+ real world usage on highways. This was confirmed by Tata Motors representative who visited my residence.
Did it online, but indicated KHT Motors as dealers.

The real mileage of E2O with AC on in city is only about 80km, though claim is 120. Real mileage of Kona is only about 320-340, though claim is 450.

So, not sure what to make of Nexon.

My fear is - Even if it achieves 250-260km, it may be without AC and at speeds of 50-60kmph, which is unreal on highways. The true range, if driven like regular petrol car, may be 200 is what I am thinking. Which is a tad too low.
Old 15th January 2020, 18:23   #147
BHPian

Finally got to do my first long ride in my kona.
I have to go on Saturday for Tata mumbai Marathon, and decided, that let me do a trial run a few days before and also get the bibs.
Did not want to risk first long run with wife and kids, it is always okay to make friends push the car, if it does finally run out of charge somewhere .

Initially plan was to start from Viman nagar early, go to BKC, collect bibs, go to vikhroli charge up at Tata power charging station and then back home.
Distance from home to BKC is around 160 kms, so just needed a splash and dash at the vikhroli sub station. Called them a day before and they confirmed that the charging station is "working". Never trust Tata, but we will get to this later.

Left home at 7:30, the temprature was nice and cold (19 degrees), was cruising at 85kmph with no regen. Kona's hard suspension and low rolling resistance tires made a complete meal of the early part of express highway, I felt there was something wrong with tires. When I started with full charge the range was showing 360kms.

So reached Dutt snacks, khopoli and still had 278 kms charge left, the car gained back around 6 kms in the downhill from Lonavala to Dutt Snacks. Till this time AC was off as it was quite cold, just the ventilated seats + blower.
Once we crossed Dutt snacks, turned on AC all the way to BKC, and reached the bib collection with 198 kms range showing up on the display.

At this time, I was wondering if I should even go for a charge, as there seemed enough range, but still decided that better be safe and sorry and a 20minute with 25kW charger should have sufficed, so called tata power number again, they confirmed the charger is working, reached the place and found out.... It is under testing and is not working.

Now range anxiety hit me hard, the range indicator was showing 180kms range left, home was around 160kms away and there is a mountain to climb.

okay so next plan, turn off AC, range indicator went upto 198 kms, told one of thee friends, that worst case, I am charging with portable at his place, and we will try and hit the lonavala 15kW DC fast charger on the way.

So now the AC is turned off, and mumbai heat is getting oppressive, so by the time we reached ghatkopar AC was on and just decided to stop at Baner.

At this point after cruising at 85 kmph most of the way and keeping the AC turned off while climbing the ghat, was actually able to make baner with 51kms still on the range indicator.

Actually turned on the Ac after crossing Lonavala NH4 exit, and easily got to the destination after some detours, with 5% battery and 23 kms range still on the indicator.

The final summary Hyundai Kona : Official Review-whatsapp-image-20200115-5.58.41-pm.jpeg

Moral of the story:-
Kona will easily do Pune-Mumbai-Pune runs at a decent speed on single charge. Not so apprehensive about the car anymore
mohanphadnis is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 19th January 2020, 07:50   #148
BHPian

Have done multiple trips to Mumbai now, NIBM Pune to Andheri Marol but have never tried to do a round trip on a single charge.

Saw this recently at the Talegaon expressway exit, BP has set up a DC charge station but not operational yet.
Attached Thumbnails
Hyundai Kona : Official Review-img20200114wa0016.jpeg  

sheldon.dz is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 21st January 2020, 08:44   #149
BHPian

Quote:

>Never trust Tata, but we will get to this later.

>Kona's hard suspension and low rolling resistance tires made a complete meal of the early part of express highway, I felt there was something wrong with tires. When I started with full charge the range was showing 360kms.
Good to hear that you are able to do over 300km on a single charge.

I too am skeptical about Tata delivering a trouble free vehicle in first iteration. But, I hear Kona doesn't have vehicles to deliver, wonder what is the waiting period now!

How bad is the suspension? Is it back breaking on bad roads? Did you have any issues with the ground clearance?
Old 21st January 2020, 12:44   #150
BHPian

Quote:
Good to hear that you are able to do over 300km on a single charge.

I too am skeptical about Tata delivering a trouble free vehicle in first iteration. But, I hear Kona doesn't have vehicles to deliver, wonder what is the waiting period now!

How bad is the suspension? Is it back breaking on bad roads? Did you have any issues with the ground clearance?
The Tata, I am referring is tata power and how their charging station was out of service after telling me multiple times that it is running. Which was really frustrating.

The suspension is taut and hard. I will not recommend going fast over broken roads. Though rough tarmac is not a problem at all, the tire noise does get jarring though.

Ground clearance is fine, I have never touched the bottom in all my driving in Magarpatta city, where my T-jet would scrape all the time.
mohanphadnis is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks