Team-BHP > Electric Cars

Search this Thread
Old 16th December 2019, 10:53   #121
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Hyundai Kona Electric sets off for Everest base camp

Let’s hope Hyundai does this professionally and provides genuine data about the performance, range and charging capabilities of the vehicle under such extreme conditions. Last thing we need is another soap opera like the Nexon EV in Ladakh with Milind Soman
Shreyans_Jain is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th December 2019, 11:48   #122
BHPian

Re: Hyundai Kona : Official Review

Took delivery yesterday ! I’ve been like a kid in a candy story ever since.

Hyundai Kona : Official Review-1b7bca1c16d14a7d9178cf5118e753b3.jpeg

Hyundai Kona : Official Review-9427178e2083405e914751dfb044ef2d.jpeg

Hyundai Kona : Official Review-6b3a4a2998ab4067afb615c5c409f1f9.jpeg

Hyundai Kona : Official Review-ae89889c20c241c39a776e2265857e06.jpeg
reihem is offline   (31) Thanks
Old 17th December 2019, 12:45   #123
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reihem View Post
Took delivery yesterday ! I’ve been like a kid in a candy story ever since.
Congrats on your new EV. Black colour looks great.
Do start a ownership report soon.
speedmiester is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th December 2019, 21:47   #124
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmiester View Post
Congrats on your new EV. Black colour looks great.
Do start a ownership report soon.
Before I get to ownership there is the challenge of doing the ground work to get the AC quick charger installed. Hyundai comes for installation only once the basic infra for their quick charger is in place. I decided to DIY it. They wanted 10 sq mm wiring which was harder to track down then I thought. I’ve terminated the line in a 40 amp breaker, with some extra 10 sq mm wiring post that for the Hyundai electrician to do his thing. Used a multimeter to ensure there was nothing on the earth line, they were quite particular that it be the case. I lacked the masonry skills to conceal the fat wiring, so I’ve just used clamps to make it look as neat as possible. I wonder how kona owners who live in apartments are dealing with needing to do this sort of work in “public” areas ?

Hyundai Kona : Official Review-94a33edadbd54650ac42eba7a783369f.jpeg

Hyundai Kona : Official Review-ecbabd92b79445d5ba1e2135b44f0a5c.jpeg

Hyundai Kona : Official Review-50033da5ea2d411e8a8ec15da9695fba.jpeg

Last edited by reihem : 19th December 2019 at 22:11.
reihem is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 20th December 2019, 10:19   #125
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Before I get to ownership there is the challenge of doing the ground work to get the AC quick charger installed. Hyundai comes for installation only once the basic infra for their quick charger is in place. I decided to DIY it.
Always fun when DIY! Gives a surreal pleasure.
One thought - at the top edge of the circuit breaker, It seems the 2 wires are just hanging bearing their own weight. This will cause the shield & copper inside to stress over time & crack. I suggest adding a horizontal clamp above the breaker to steady the cables over it on 1 side after the final installation is done by Hyundai. That way the weight will be borne by the 2 screws & not the cables.
Reinhard is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2019, 18:02   #126
BHPian

Quote:
Before I get to ownership there is the challenge of doing the ground work to get the AC quick charger installed. Hyundai comes for installation only once the basic infra for their quick charger is in place.
Looks great. Would suggest having a 15 amp socket installed with a independent circuit breaker as well on the same line - you then have the choice of using either the level 1 and 2 chargers as convenient. Please ensure that you have your line drawn directly from the meter. The level 2 charger draws upto 30amps and this is often the limit of the meter-if there is additional items such as fridges/ac/heaters running, there is potential for overload and tripping/fuses blowing.

This is the arrangement at my home
Attached Thumbnails
Hyundai Kona : Official Review-718dd8286fe84f9198512285e3217853.jpeg  

Last edited by BlackPearl : 23rd December 2019 at 19:07. Reason: Merged back to back posts. Thanks.
docsr is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 25th December 2019, 06:23   #127
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by docsr View Post
This is the arrangement at my home
Here`s how they set it up in my apartment
Attached Thumbnails
Hyundai Kona : Official Review-img_3164.jpg  

pkirwadi is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 25th December 2019, 18:17   #128
Distinguished - BHPian

What are the chances of the resident juveniles or car wash guys or drivers fiddling with this? I know it needs a smart card to operate, but is it not possible to encase the charger and the connector inside a lockable wall mounted box?

At least in my earlier apartment, there was a usual gaggle of ~5 drivers whiling away most of the day for their businessman owners or home errands.

Did either of you face issues with your cooperative society/ housing society for permissions etc? I am unfortunately in a fractious building complex now whose managing committee is largely paralyzed by infighting b
itwasntme is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th December 2019, 18:33   #129
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post

Did either of you face issues with your cooperative society/ housing society for permissions etc? I am unfortunately in a fractious building complex now whose managing committee is largely paralyzed by infighting b
I looked at enclosing it within a box, but have decided against it for now. However, in my case, this is installed in my porch, so isn't in a truly public area.

about the managing committee - sympathies from one is a somewhat similar situation....
Old 29th December 2019, 07:21   #130
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
What are the chances of the resident juveniles or car wash guys or drivers fiddling with this? I know it needs a smart card to operate, but is it not possible to encase the charger and the connector inside a lockable wall mounted box?

At least in my earlier apartment, there was a usual gaggle of ~5 drivers whiling away most of the day for their businessman owners or home errands.

Less of juveniles, more of adults who seem quite fascinated with this setup. There could be some elements in any society for that matter, that can pose inordinate amount of stress for us but that can be taken care by installing CCTV cams, just to ward of any nonsense behavior, even dummy one`s might help. I faced no issues during charger installation from any member of my society, people seem to be happy to see some first world tech, being consumed this early. Maybe i`m just fortunate, this whole thing panned out really well for me
pkirwadi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th December 2019, 08:11   #131
BHPian

we enclosed our charging unit in a box, but during the floods the box was destroyed. The charger seems to be a solid unit was submerged under water for 3 days. But survived and our charger is working as expected now, no damage to circuits. Good thing
there is no separate battery withing the unit.
sheldon.dz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th December 2019, 11:48   #132

I heard some guys got a totally different connection from the electricity distribution dept just to get the charger fixed to that connection.

Did any of you got that done? Or getting a totally separate wiring straight out of meter worked. What's the load capacity in your domestic electricity connection??
Old 29th December 2019, 12:01   #133
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripy002 View Post
I heard some guys got a totally different connection from the electricity distribution dept just to get the charger fixed to that connection.

Did any of you got that done? Or getting a totally separate wiring straight out of meter worked. What's the load capacity in your domestic electricity connection??
You will need a 3 phase connection. Most domestic connections are single phase with a maximum load of 7000Watts. The Kona itself will be drawing 7000W while charging, hence you will need a 3 phase connection. You will need to apply for this at the distribution company, following which they will draw extra power lines to your home, and also replace the electric metering. There may also be slight changes in your bill as well.

Its always better to check feasibility of three phase connection at your residence before getting a Kona, sometimes, if lines are not available, especially in rural areas, it may not be possible for getting a 3 phase connection, and the power company may ask the customer to pay up for installing more lines.
Aditya_Bhp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th December 2019, 12:12   #134

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya_Bhp View Post
You will need a 3 phase connection. Most domestic connections are single phase with a maximum load of 7000Watts. The Kona itself will be drawing 7000W while charging, hence you will need a 3 phase connection. You will need to apply for this at the distribution company, following which they will draw extra power lines to your home, and also replace the electric metering. There may also be slight changes in your bill as well.

Its always better to check feasibility of three phase connection at your residence before getting a Kona, sometimes, if lines are not available, especially in rural areas, it may not be possible for getting a 3 phase connection, and the power company may ask the customer to pay up for installing more lines.
I have a 3 phase connection but the load sanctioned is only 6KW. That's what the whole society has. So I guess first I need to take permission from the corporative housing society then apply for it at electricity distribution dept.
Thanks for the help.
Old 30th December 2019, 17:16   #135
BHPian

I did not have to take any new connection, the society electrician did the entire setup with my existing meter, after i bought material as per Hyundai requirements.
sheldon.dz is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed