Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th September 2020, 08:56   #181
BHPian

Re: Hyundai Kona : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkirwadi View Post

Recharged car at the place where i stayed, using nothing but a level 1 charger (2.2 kW). Charging time: 17:45 h )
Did you use AirConditioning throughout the trip?
Did you stay at a hotel?
How difficult was it to convince them to charge your vehicle?
Did you pay them anything on electricity used for charging?
Did you charge from a 15 AMP socket or regular? You must be needing to carry cables and adaptors?
Asking because I am seriously considering an EV for my next car and yes I want to use it on highways, hoping to charge at lunch and night stopovers. If I do, will call and make charging requests beforehand I guess.

On many highways, especially Pune to Mumbai, there are loooong sections of downhill slopes which I am sure are excellent for regenerative energy?
Old 15th September 2020, 10:56   #182
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by parambyte View Post
Did you use AirConditioning throughout the trip?
Did you stay at a hotel?
How difficult was it to convince them to charge your vehicle?
Did you pay them anything on electricity used for charging?
Did you charge from a 15 AMP socket or regular? You must be needing to carry cables and adaptors?
Asking because I am seriously considering an EV for my next car and yes I want to use it on highways, hoping to charge at lunch and night stopovers. If I do, will call and make charging requests beforehand I guess.

On many highways, especially Pune to Mumbai, there are loooong sections of downhill slopes which I am sure are excellent for regenerative energy?

Did you stay at a hotel? -> Yes

How difficult was it to convince them to charge your vehicle? -> Easy, not much effort, but they seemed a bit concerned and were contemplating on charging me for this extra service.

Did you pay them anything on electricity used for charging? -> No, I told them its important to consider how this might make sense for their patrons using EV`s to consider their property/hotel in future. They reluctantly agreed.

Did you charge from a 15 AMP socket or regular? You must be needing to carry cables and adaptors? -> Yes, the default cable that comes with Kona that uses the regular 15amps. The maintenance folks at the hotel, fixed me up using an extension cable, that they temporarily lined up from a near by socket.

Asking because I am seriously considering an EV for my next car and yes I want to use it on highways, hoping to charge at lunch and night stopovers. If I do, will call and make charging requests beforehand I guess -> yes that`s important, you got to plan and call them in advance, may not get a favorable response, but can`t stress them with too much info either. But most`em, especially the starry one`s, have no problem in obliging to such requests.

On many highways, especially Pune to Mumbai, there are loooong sections of downhill slopes which I am sure are excellent for regenerative energy? -> That`s an absolute certain. Having taken up on the infamous ghats of Karnataka (namely, shiradi & charmadi), i have thoroughly enjoyed the regen experience., adds significant amount of range, no doubt ! You got to plan it well though, needs gentle, precise and calibrated driving, anticipating the outcome of regen in advance, it comes with practice so don`t worry about it.
Old 15th September 2020, 21:41   #183
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by docsr View Post
Looks great. Would suggest having a 15 amp socket installed with a independent circuit breaker as well on the same line
Quote:
Here`s how they set it up in my apartment
Hi docsr and pkirwadi, I am planning for the ZS MG EV and need to understand how to get the AC Fast charger installed in an apartment.

I am in Bangalore and the BESCOM Sanctioned load in my Electricity bill is 3kW. On the BESCOM online portal there is an option to increase sanctioned load.

I wanted to know if you have got the sanctioned load increased , if yes was there any cost involved ?
I read here that the meter needs to be changed to a 3 phase.
What all does that involve ?
And is this a reversible process ?

This part of buying an EV is not advertised, just the fact you are getting a free charger. The Sales executive gave me some high figure of Rs 24000 to BESCOM as a refundable deposit.

Hence wanted to check what the real story would be.

pkirwadi that is some amazing stats of the Kona with 11KM/kWh, true to the max range.
The max the MG ZS EV will offer going by the marking material is 340km/44.5kWh = 7.64km/kWh, which is real life would be more like 6.74km/kWh
Old 17th September 2020, 12:20   #184
BHPian

I am really interested to know how the Delta wall box gets setup.
I have a single phase meter with 3kW sanctioned load from BESCOM.
On doing some googling higher than 5kW will need three phase meter and supply.
If I get 3 phase power supply setup does the whole flat needs to be done up to support 3 phase.
Can i just get a separate BESCOM Meter for the car ?
Any inputs from members who have got the Delta AC fast charger installed in an apartment complex.
So if i go for the MG ZS EV I might end up using the slow charger and need to charge more frequently.
Old 17th September 2020, 12:44   #185
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yajaman99 View Post
I am really interested to know how the Delta wall box gets setup.
I have a single phase meter with 3kW sanctioned load from BESCOM.
On doing some googling higher than 5kW will need three phase meter and supply.
If I get 3 phase power supply setup does the whole flat needs to be done up to support 3 phase.
Can i just get a separate BESCOM Meter for the car ?
Any inputs from members who have got the Delta AC fast charger installed in an apartment complex.
So if i go for the MG ZS EV I might end up using the slow charger and need to charge more frequently.
your 3kW line could be a hindrance, I have a 5 kW (single phase) line but i`m easily pulling over 7.5 kW and maxing out the delta charger. Your bill would typically indicate the max load consumed, so if its on a consistent basis, they normally upgrade your line and charge you extra for the consumed load. Single phase meter is what your need. Kona & Delta`s input requirements is limited to single phase, 7.2 kW. I do not recommend a separate meter.
Old 17th September 2020, 13:24   #186
BHPian

Quote:
your 3kW line could be a hindrance, I have a 5 kW (single phase) line but i`m easily pulling over 7.5 kW and maxing out the delta charger.
Thank you for the swift response, this makes perfect sense. Will do an upgrade to 5kW. As per my bill the average shows 1KW.
Old 12th October 2020, 19:36   #187
BHPian

Mods please highlight this if you can.

Over the last few hours news of a global recall for the Kona EV has been hitting the news. The recall is linked to battery fires. Apparently the battery manufacturer LG Chem and Hyundai and arguing over who is at fault.

https://www.thehindubusinessline.com...le32832212.ece

As is the case often, India doesn't seem to feature in their story or plans. As an Indian Kona EV owner, I'm quite concerned. Other Kona EV owners on TBHP, what is your plan of action ?
reihem is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2020, 21:14   #188
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reihem View Post
Other Kona EV owners on TBHP, what is your plan of action ?
I think emailing Hyundai India would be the best thing to do as Indian motor law coupled with Kona being a very niche car isn't going to get Hyundai's response on this specific issue unless owners themselves demand for at least a clarification.

In other news, my Kona's tyre suffered a massive damage yesterday when I hit a pothole (at around 60-70 kph) and the tyre basically tore and now has a huge crack. Fortunately I could replace it with spare wheel at a side of a busy. Upon checking other 3 tyres I noticed each of them have a bubble. I've read about this issue and have consulted with a good tyre shop as well. Turns out this can be dangerous if not addressed quickly. The only solution is to get new tyre/s. The tyres are from Korean brand Nexen, a company which doesn't operate in India as far as I know. My friend also found out an Australian review of the Kona complaining about same Nexen tyres. Attaching link to the same.

https://www.caradvice.com.au/801358/...ichelin-tyres/

Has anyone else faced similar issues on their car? I'm trying to get in touch with Hyundai India to get tyres replaced under warranty or goodwill as car has barely done 4.6k kilometres. Attaching photos of the bubbled tyres as well.

Hyundai Kona : Official Review-792801644b814be59f8795e8d6e4f4cd.jpeg

Hyundai Kona : Official Review-9de62deb34bd4effac1258535c312456.jpeg

Hyundai Kona : Official Review-78a8c4cec84f445dbd63c1099efa9087.jpeg

Hyundai Kona : Official Review-f20529be398a40dda3bbfeb769ee264f.jpeg

Last edited by ADI7YAK : 30th October 2020 at 21:19. Reason: Added one more photo.
ADI7YAK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2020, 23:22   #189
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADI7YAK View Post
I think emailing Hyundai India would be the best thing to do as Indian motor law coupled with Kona being a very niche car isn't going to get Hyundai's response on this specific issue unless owners themselves demand for at least a clarification.
I love the Kona in many ways. I love the way it feels on the road. I love the mad pickup and torque. I love many, many things about it. But, I’m not going to sit here and pretend I’m not feeling a tinge of buyers remorse right now. The silence from Hyundai India on a recall that’s made the headlines both nationally and internationally is unbelievable.

I knew I was an early adopter and that it would come with its challenges. But i always assumed those challenges would be linked to the non existent charging infrastructure. I never expected Hyundai would totally ignore their customers like this.

It could also be that I own a bunch of niche cars now and I’m feeling alienated. To the left in my garage is a kona with the axe of a potential recall swinging over it (and honestly the larger axe of a potential fire). To the right is a Volvo staring at an uncertain future since Chennai’s Volvo dealership just shut down unceremoniously.

This is a sign. Next time I’ll just look at what sells the most in a given segment and buy it.

Last edited by reihem : 30th October 2020 at 23:23.
Old 31st October 2020, 07:30   #190
Distinguished - BHPian

I believe it is next to impossible for individual owners to get a response out of Hyundai on this. Can TeamBHP officially write to Hyundai seeking a clarification on the battery issue and on if and when a recall can happen?
Shreyans_Jain is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2020, 08:02   #191
BHPian

Quote:

The tyre quality is bad, we have had 3 punctures
In the last 2 months of which one of them was so bad the tyre had to be replaced. It can get easily punctured even with small nails etc.

They don't cover tyres under warranty if you have a good relationship with the service center guy they may just cover 50% of the cost. The cost is around 14k we paid 7k.

The process of getting replacement is painfully slow took us a week to get a new one.
We have also purchased a spare full size tyre Yokohama earth brand just as a backup if this occurs in the future.

Mod Note - Please quote only the relevant bits of a post when replying. Also, please proof read your post.

Thanks.

Last edited by Sheel : 1st November 2020 at 08:09. Reason: Mod note attached.
sheldon.dz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2020, 00:26   #192
BHPian

Hey Guys,

Trying my first long distance road trip in my Kona. Unfortunately, a week after I got my Kona, lockdown was announced & so couldn't go out. Planning to go to Aurangabad for Diwali on my Kona. I will be travelling with my wife, my son & my Lhasa dog. I will be having luggages as well. The distance one way - should be about ~270 kms.

Any hints / tips to follow & how I can make sure my vehicle battery lasts the distance?

Or is this a bad idea? Let me know your thoughts please.....specially experienced owners.
Old 10th November 2020, 17:09   #193
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NannuBhai View Post
Or is this a bad idea? Let me know your thoughts please.....specially experienced owners.
If you're okay with driving at speeds of 80 or so then Kona can manage 270km distance provided you leave with a full charge. How do you plan to charge the car at Aurangabad? There aren't any public chargers there, so your only option is charging via 15amp plug which takes 15 to 20 hours. Should be pretty easy if you're comfortable with both caveats.

For example, I did Pune-Mumbai-Pune but didn't face any issue since Mumbai has multiple DC chargers so 40 minutes of charge on Tata 25kW DC charger was more than enough for me to get back home doing slightly above speed limits.

Attaching picture of when I reached Mumbai for reference. Hyundai Kona : Official Review-57640ce410214f4292e2e0169ccafdda.jpeg

Car showed 300+km range at the beginning. I sticked to speed limit while going.
ADI7YAK is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th November 2020, 17:29   #194
BHPian

Quote:
If you're okay with driving at speeds of 80 or so then Kona can manage 270km distance provided you leave with a full charge. How do you plan to charge the car at Aurangabad? There aren't any public chargers there, so your only option is charging via 15amp plug which takes 15 to 20 hours. Should be pretty easy if you're comfortable with both caveats.

For example, I did Pune-Mumbai-Pune but didn't face any issue since Mumbai has multiple DC chargers so 40 minutes of charge on Tata 25kW DC charger was more than enough for me to get back home doing slightly above speed limits.

Attaching picture of when I reached Mumbai for reference. Attachment 2078812

Car showed 300+km range at the beginning. I sticked to speed limit while going.
Thank you. Yes. I'll have to do 80 kmph necessarily to ensure I hit the 300 kms range. No problems doing that at the moment. I'm going to my in-laws place. So, will charge there on 15 Amp plug.

So, both these caveats shouldn't be an issue. What about AC usage? Would that lessen the range down? And by how much? Should I be worried?

Also, when you were in Mumbai where did you get your charge done? I'll do the same when I go to Mumbai. (Note: I'll be going to Chembur in Mumbai)
Old 10th November 2020, 17:39   #195
BHPian

Quote:

What about AC usage? Would that lessen the range down? And by how much? Should I be worried?
You should be able to use AC just like a normal car. I would suggest keeping map set on Carplay or Android Auto and keeping an eye on distance left and range as shown by car's computer to make sure there are no mistakes.

Quote:
Also, when you were in Mumbai where did you get your charge done? I'll do the same when I go to Mumbai. (Note: I'll be going to Chembur in Mumbai)
Please download Tata EV Charging app from Play Store if you have an Android or follow this link if you're on ios. The app is in beta stage, you'll need to register first. It's an easy process. https://testflight.apple.com/join/1199pNZi
ADI7YAK is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks