Team-BHP - MG Hector : Official Review
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Official New Car Reviews (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/)
-   -   MG Hector : Official Review (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/214645-mg-hector-official-review-11.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reinhard (Post 4701780)
Kudos to MG if they have got it right. Rarely any car gets that close. We've come to assume there is always around 2-3kmpl error (+ve) in the MID mileage. Great if MG did it better.

Interesting, my honda city 2015 also is very accurate in MID figures, I didnt know there are such high variances in cars nowaday.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rkv_hunter (Post 4701844)
This is not a bad move as I expect most phase 1 bookers to get delivery by Dec end. Already many people who booked in July have got delivery. Also MG does not want to offer benefits to people who may try to delay the purchase by 15-20 days because they want to register the car in the new year.

Correct. The showroom I know said that by dec end all Phase I bookings will be sorted and the ones pending will only be those where the buyer postponed delivery. Many people don't want to take delivery in Dec and delay delivery till the new year. Priority bookings will be serviced first and then October bookings.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reinhard (Post 4701780)
Kudos to MG if they have got it right. Rarely any car gets that close. We've come to assume there is always around 2-3kmpl error (+ve) in the MID mileage. Great if MG did it better.

My Tata Harrier, which has done about 22,000 kms so far, shows a variance of between 1-2 kmpl between tankful to tankful measurements and the MID. Most of my driving is on the highway (about 80%) and doing the tankful to tankful measurement normally gives me a FE of between 13.5-15.5 kmpl.

MG Motor India sells 3,239 units of Hector in November 2019.

This is first time the company has witnessed a decline in its month-on-month retail sale since the launch of its first model MG Hector in June 2019.
Quote:

New Delhi: MG Motor India on Sunday reported retail sales of 3,239 units of its SUV Hector in November 2019. This is first time the company has witnessed a decline in its month-on-month sale since the launch of its first model MG Hector in June 2019.

The company sold 1,508 units in July and 2,018 units in August. While in September MG Motor India registered sales of 2,608 units of Hector, the retail sales rose to 3,536 units in October.
Source: ET Auto

On the safety features list on the website, it does say that the Hector is equipped with an Anti Roll bar. Question to the owners - how's the body roll? Is it as good or as bad as any SUV in the segment or it's more noticeable?

Quote:

Originally Posted by wheelguy (Post 4703460)
This is first time the company has witnessed a decline in its month-on-month retail sale since the launch of its first model MG Hector in June 2019.

I don't think that matters. They have a sold book and a waiting period for next six months. October could have been higher, as many people would have preferred taking delivery during Diwali time. I hope MG reports retail sales, not dispatches.

Quote:

Originally Posted by coolkurt (Post 4703701)
On the safety features list on the website, it does say that the Hector is equipped with an Anti Roll bar. Question to the owners - how's the body roll? Is it as good or as bad as any SUV in the segment or it's more noticeable?

I TDed, Hector twice, both Petrol AT and Diesel variant. Hector has a lot of noticeable body roll, especially on corners and does shakes your driving confidence a bit. The lower confidence is further accentuated by its light and twitchy steering at higher speed. Unfortunately, Hector doesn't have Electronic Roll-over Mitigation like that of Jeep Compass.

Found an interesting review video, hope you may like it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM1QoORoviU

A new video story on Stories from MG. MG's marketing team deserves recognition. You're never too old to live your dreams :)

https://youtu.be/QZz7FwtTbf8

I finally cancelled the booking of my Hector DCT reluctantly and with a heavy heart because I really loved the car. The looks, space and features are just fantastic.

But I was a bit concerned on the below behaviour of the petrol DCT that I had reported earlier.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rkv_hunter (Post 4697996)
this is what I felt why the Hector may be less efficient than comparable DCTs after 3 test drives. if you drive with a heavy foot there are many instances of no-power rpm surges.if you floor the paddle, the rpm flies to 4-5k without a corresponding power surge. It feels like you have floored the pedal in neutral and the engine sounds like an unloaded mixer grinder (Yes, it does)..

I tried to research what could cause this behaviour and a few youtube searches showed that clutch slip in DCT gearboxes have similar behaviour. I dont know whether it is clutch slip in the Hector, but if it is, it will really impact the long term reliability of the gearbox. Also I test drove many other automatic cars 2 DCT, 2-3 TCs and 1 CVT and none of them even had a hint of this behavior.

I was ok with the low mileage, but this doubt drove me towards the ultimate cancellation.

Also I tried to get the long term review of the Baojun 530 from China and used baidu in english which uses google translate and here are the findings:

1. Baojun 530 was launched in Feb18 with much fanfare and rave reviews. It was called the Baojun “God” car and a potential first Chinese global car(which it ultimately became)

2. The DCT gearbox used in the car was developed by SAIC using components and tech from BorgWarner. The DCT is named DCT360 and it is used in Baojun 560 and Baojun 730. It technically is capable of changing gears in 0.2 seconds.

3. User and critic reviews were mostly positive and the car sold huge numbers, more than 150k in 8 months.

4. In Oct 18 just 8 months into the launch SGMW introduced an update with a slightly updated engine with a new Turbocharger from Honeywell, the engine had increased torque 250 Nm compared to 230 earlier (India version is the older version with Mitsubishi turbo charger, however tuned for 250 Nm torque) . This engine was mated to a CVT (This version is being used in the Wuling Almaz and Chevrolet Captiva)

5. The new engine/gearbox was introduced as there were some issues reported in the DCT version regarding non linear and abrupt power delivery. The DCT production was apparently stopped in China since OCT 18, and only the remaining inventory was being sold.

6. The DCT versions of Baojun 560, 530 and 730 were recalled in June 2019. Issue was reported in ECU setting which impacted the clutch spring slider and it was rectified using ECU updates and change in clutch in some cases.

https://news.metal.com/newscontent/1...-of-recall-in-

Given the above, I dont know why MG introduced the DCT version here and not the CVT like the other markets.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gutsy (Post 4703843)
I hope MG reports retail sales, not dispatches.
The lower confidence is further accentuated by its light and twitchy steering at higher speed. Unfortunately, Hector doesn't have Electronic Roll-over Mitigation like that of Jeep Compass.

MG does report retail sales. The light steering wheel is the only major gripe that I have with the Hector. Body roll is manageable, as expected from a large SUV, and driving doesn't get dangerous as the car gives in before it reaches it's limit. Bigger tyres will solve a bit of the problem as well.

As rkv_hunter posted, the lag in the DCT and the extremely poor mileage figures was what tipped the scales towards the diesel. There's a lot of reassurance that a proven engine provides.

:Frustrati
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GyIj9RHDJVI

Not only MG, its going to be a real headache for all companies, to educate new-age customers and manage their perceptions and expectations..

Quote:

Originally Posted by gutsy (Post 4705155)
Not only MG, its going to be a real headache for all companies, to educate new-age customers and manage their perceptions and expectations..

It's the other around, MG and its dealers should know that being a fresh entrant to the indian market, they dont have any claim to the real driving factor that sustains a car brand's sales after the initial wow factor - word of mouth (I-will-buy-this-car-since-my-dear-friend-guptaji-also-bought-and-he-is-a-smart-man).
Hence, it is of utmost importance that customers are treated with utmost politeness and respect (irrespective of whether the customer is right or wrong), because social media can make or break the branding that they have poured so much investment into.

Quote:

Originally Posted by venkyhere (Post 4705322)
Hence, it is of utmost importance that customers are treated with utmost politeness and respect (irrespective of whether the customer is right or wrong), because social media can make or break the branding that they have poured so much investment into.

On the contrary, that's actually an area where MG has excelled. The customer service is excellent, the marketing campaign is great and the brand narrative is on the right track.

Where MG lacks is product refinement, especially in the Petrol and specifically the Auto, which eventually will lead to ebbing interest. The diesel is a gem.

MG will hopefully look into the complaints and tweak the DCT for a better response. And give the Diesel an Auto please! Otherwise it'll start losing to competition.

Quote:

Originally Posted by coolkurt (Post 4705367)
MG will hopefully look into the complaints and tweak the DCT for a better response. And give the Diesel an Auto please! Otherwise it'll start losing to competition.

This would be interesting to see. As of now Kia and MG are in a universe of their own and there is literally no challenger. Waiting to see how these stack up against the 2020 launches.

Saw a Hector motionless on the Shimla roads today the car had a rotten egg smell meaning clutch issues. The guy was still giving it gas but the thing was hardly moving a 20 degree incline.

https://www.rushlane.com/mg-hector-o...-12345056.html

They should try to address customer grievances instead of blaming.