Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd May 2020, 13:10   #271
BHPian

Re: MG Shield+ contactless sales & service initiative launched

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm2.0 View Post
With so much of debate about privacy issues with Chinese apps and devices I'm afraid that even the fancy infotainment system in MG cars which all drooled over, might be leaking your data without even your knowledge.
What data would they leak? Your driving location? The speed at which you drove?
We may not want to have this fall into the hands of law enforcement or a spouse but if it is used by a company to track how many hours their customers drive their cars, I am not too worried about it. I realise this data is sometimes used by law enforcement to convict people but that is not unique to MG.
Lobogris is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th May 2020, 11:38   #272
BHPian

Re: MG Hector : Official Review

Given the China's Corona coverup & their anti-India stance across most world forums & on North border, are there still people who want to buy a Chinese car?
Not want to make it a political discussion, would like to understand the motive for such a buying decision.

Last edited by Acharya : 29th May 2020 at 11:45.
Acharya is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 29th May 2020, 12:30   #273
Senior - BHPian

The Nazis did terrible things, so did the Japs during world war - so do we carry this in memory and baulk from buying anything German/Japanese? China is upto no good at the borders, so let the diplomats handle it. The day their goods are banned, I'll stop buying. Market forces will decide. I think we should keep business and nationalistic pride far apart from each other. Once generated, data will always be used in some form or other (sometimes to mischief)

Last edited by Sebring : 29th May 2020 at 12:31.
Sebring is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 29th May 2020, 15:48   #274
Senior - BHPian

Second OTA Update available on the Hector.

Adds the Chit Chat feature - Now you'll be able to talk random things and make conversation beyond the pre defined commands.

All you have to do is start the car and idle. If the area has decent network, you'll get a notification for the update.

MG Hector : Official Review-screenshot_20200529154540__01.jpg

Link to Video
coolkurt is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st June 2020, 13:59   #275
BHPian

MG being a chinese brand i have heard people talking about not being the Hector just for that reason even though they like it more than the Seltos for example.

I use a OnePlus phone but have decided to not buy the next phone from a chinese brand. Most other phones are also made in china but are atleast not fully chinese brands.

The Hector despite being a good vehicle should be boycotted or not can be a good question.
I will personally not even think of buying it.
abhinavsureka is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st June 2020, 14:46   #276
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinavsureka View Post
I use a OnePlus phone but have decided to not buy the next phone from a chinese brand. Most other phones are also made in china but are atleast not fully chinese brands.
I personally don't see the need to boycott the MG Hector.

Sorry for commenting off topic. But in a world of open market with a broader outlook, countries like India have benefited a LOT over last 2-3 decades. Open market has given us exposure to some great technology while also protecting local businesses in one way or the other to some extent. And I say this in a very bipartisan way. Policy making (or lack thereof) overall in our history has somehow managed to protect our economy also while many others sank suddenly.

I use a phone which is MADE IN INDIA but by a brand of Chinese origin - Xiomi. And I use quite a few similar products of Chinese origin products like dash-cam in car etc. I don't object to people who mention "boycott" etc. Everyone is entitled an opinion and choice. All are correct in perspective.

My views are -
  1. If there is a local alternative of equal or better caliber, no problem in picking the alternative while shunning away a brand of hostile native origins.
  2. But boycotting just for the sake of it in a global economy is a bit weird. Take the example of MG Hector on this forum. Boycotting the Hector means less money going to China agreed. But it also means thousands of direct & indirect jobs lost in India & even more people (family members) facing uncertainty. Surely all those can't find a job in other car factories in current slowdowns.
  3. While foreign, the brands still create jobs here in India for our own countrymen. Boycotting foreign (Chinese and others are same for me to be honest) brands - simply takes away jobs of our own people in the short and medium term.
  4. Boycotting something while singling out the Chinese will just give a fake sense of national pride. Hardly anything is made anywhere else. We can say "Made In India" on things. Half of them are really "Assembled in India" with Chinese made components anyway.
  5. Simple example - we make a lot of medicines in India. Tremendous amount of the raw material for it actually is imported from China! Boycotting Chinese goods will be the simplest way for population control (reduction rather) in India.

Over the years, I have started thinking its better to keep geo-politics and economics loosely coupled. Geo-politics are about maps, borders, fights. Economies are about simple tax-paying people like us on either side of the border being able to feed their little children 2 meals a day.

(P.S. - In case of cars - I prefer Tata & Mahindra since decades, so that's that. )

Last edited by Reinhard : 1st June 2020 at 14:54.
Reinhard is online now   (16) Thanks
Old 1st June 2020, 19:17   #277
KMT
BHPian

I am sure many will agree that any self respecting petrol-head will not buy a Chinese car, its for people who are want a Jeep or Fortuner but cannot afford one. Chinese companies have done a commendable job in attracting this demographic in India.

@Reinhard - Simplistic wallet-driven thinking has got Australia in the situation it currently is in, its getting kicked by China because it supported the US re a Covid enquiry. There is high overdependence on China as a trading partner and heavy Chinese ownership of Australian companies.
Need not talk of African countries in this context as you will know their current situation vis-a-vis China.

Or may be I am too simple to understand why we want to give business to a country that invades our territorry and kills our soldiers.

Yes business is business, buy cheap good quality stuff from China, but when they bully us like this, personally I think it is selfish to hide behind the excuse of being 'ordinary people'. Ordinary people can vote with their feet/wallets and make a difference, I dont think we should be so meek/fatalastic.

Like it or not, Economics and Politics are closely related.

Last edited by KMT : 1st June 2020 at 19:22.
KMT is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 1st June 2020, 19:41   #278
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMT View Post
Or may be I am too simple to understand why we want to give business to a country that invades our territorry and kills our soldiers.

Yes business is business, buy cheap good quality stuff from China, but when they bully us like this, personally I think it is selfish to hide behind the excuse of being 'ordinary people'. Odrinary people can vote with their feet/wallets and make a difference, I dont think we should be so meek/fatalastic.

Like it or not, Economics and Politics are closely related.
Trust me, I don't like China. So that's out of the way.

To get the facts straightened - China invaded India in 1962 after the "Forward Policy" from India sent soldiers without full fledged policy & planning for any Chinese reaction in areas that were originally just "left aside". There was never an agreed border in Aksai Chin in those days after independence. At the end of hostilities, the Chinese returned what was their controlled part of NEFA (Arunachal Pradesh today) after a pretty voluntarily declared cease-fire when India was already on back-foot in '62. Look from the Chinese perspective and they were of the opinion that India tried to occupy a part of their land that was never settled with the British due to other priorities. (Of course, I want the Aksai Chin region of Ladakh together with Pangong Tse to be part of India, no question about it.) India's border disputes with China & Pakistan are very different. Pakistan's claims are criminal pretty much. China's on the other hand are complicated since a long time.

The point of Jeep etc cars is actually very precise. So we are okay to buy products from the Americans? And why so I ask. Its the Americans who pretty overtly dumped billions of dollars (and even continue to do so today) into our far more hostile neighbour Pakistan. A lot of these dollars result in martyrdom of our soldiers. What about that? What about the British companies taking our money & then the UK voting in favour of Pakistan in numerous arbitration since a long time?

But yeah - that mixes geo-politics now with a car discussion, so I'll leave it there .

Look at my post earlier properly - I'm not saying promote Chinese goods. I'm saying they are ALL THE SAME. Its either Foreign or Indian. Singling out China is too superficial & short sighted. (And I don't live under any illusion that China isn't a superpower that doesn't deserve respect. It is.)

And then - there's my point about thousands of jobs (at least) that are dependent on Chinese as of this moment. Your point of view on the short-medium term effect of boycott on all Chinese goods on these fronts? You and I can afford to buy a Jeep Compass so our definition of "ordinary" is quite different - compared to someone who isn't as lucky and works 12 hours a day to feed his family & has no guarantee of tomorrow's income.

What about China anyway being the primary raw material supplier for pretty much all our businesses?

(Again - I do not like Chinese goods & wherever there is an alternative available I buy it even at a premium pricing. I'm happy that the Chery-Tata JV is now on hold thanks to Covid19. This works as long as there is an alternative. If there isn't & I need something, I'll have to buy Chinese. Would I like to see MG go from India - YES as long as the jobs lost are provided back by someone else. Simple.)

Last edited by Reinhard : 1st June 2020 at 19:49.
Reinhard is online now   (19) Thanks
Old 1st June 2020, 20:05   #279
Distinguished - BHPian

While I was not happy with a Chinese car being marketed as British and since 1929 etc, I do not think it is appropriate to reject a product because it is Chinese.

Because this matters, we are all too happy to forget the past.

https://www.outlookindia.com/magazin...n-china/295605

As well as the fact that our pants will have no zippers.
Kosfactor is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 6th June 2020, 00:44   #280
Senior - BHPian

China is an enemy to us in a way that not even Pakistan is. I don't think people realise that yet, but possibly the events of the last few weeks might have changed that perception. We don't really have any other enemies so we don't need to trawl much through our consciencess to see if we should boycott or not.

Without going into much details China's interest in Kashmir and safegaurding Gilgit is strategically very important to them and events of 370 abrogation has pushed them to move to a different plan. We share our longest border with China and the most number of disputes. And they don't seem to be find it very difficult to ridicule our claims or support our enemies or undermine our sovereignty on global platforms. Not to say needle us along the border here and there and try vitiate the atmosphere between them India and 3rd party countries.

With regard to Chinese either we acquiesce to their demands like RCEP, BRI, free trade or face a future of increased and open aggression. Neither does the Chinese have much love for Indian products nor do they roll out a red carpet for full ownership of subsidiaries in their country.
So while it might be wrong ethically to openly boycott their products, I wish eventually people do.

If not for anything, it will save the Indian auto market from the entry of other Chinese manufacturers like Changan or Great Wall, who are already having second thoughts.

Last edited by avishar : 6th June 2020 at 00:45.
avishar is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 6th June 2020, 03:27   #281
Senior - BHPian

Its always funny when people bring their geopolitical discussions into automotive forums. Then I suddenly bring up the fact that our desi manufacturers are still majorly dependent on Chinese suppliers to manufacture parts for cheap so they can compete atleast on a price basis with Euro/American/Japanese and now Chinese auto manufacturers.

If you really want to boycott China start by never using a phone, computer, several items of clothing, and well never drink tea.
Nithesh_M is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 8th June 2020, 12:23   #282
BHPian

Is MG Hector a good car? - That is the only reason I come to this thread.

Not for its Chinese roots and British suit's description.

One example - TATA group's TATA Power (epitome of Indianess for many Indians and for quite a few forum members) has tied up with MG to install super fast DC chargers at MG dealerships.

Tata Motor's sister company to work with its Chinese rival! Now what? Bash Tata Group? We wouldn't do it. It is all business and as long as they are playing by the rules - no complaints.

Praveer Sinha, CEO and MD, Tata Power said, “We are delighted to associate with MG Motor India as an end-to-end EV charging partner as also work on second life of battery usage in future."

Link.

Last edited by OrangeCar : 8th June 2020 at 12:24. Reason: Updated news link.
OrangeCar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th June 2020, 12:48   #283
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCar View Post
Is MG Hector a good car? - That is the only reason I come to this thread.

Not for its Chinese roots and British suit's description.

One example - TATA group's TATA Power (epitome of Indianess for many Indians and for quite a few forum members) has tied up with MG to install super fast DC chargers at MG dealerships.

Tata Motor's sister company to work with its Chinese rival! Now what? Bash Tata Group? We wouldn't do it. It is all business and as long as they are playing by the rules - no complaints.

Praveer Sinha, CEO and MD, Tata Power said, “We are delighted to associate with MG Motor India as an end-to-end EV charging partner as also work on second life of battery usage in future."

Link.
MG choosing to partner with Tata Power is not because it cannot do it by itself or not because it cannot find another partner, but because they need and want to rope in some Indian-ness and disown their Chinese roots. It is more of a requirement for MG than for the Tata Power, for the latter it's just a business.

That statement by the CEO of Tata Power is a mere formality just as it happens with every other MOU/partnerships.
wheelguy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th June 2020, 21:27   #284
Distinguished - BHPian

A New Globaization!

1 model, 4 brands, different markets. This is the way Flag of China cars will conquer the world, rebadge.
Chevrolet Captiva ,MGHector , WulingAlmaz are a re-badge of Flag of China Baojun530, made by SAIC-GM.

MG Hector : Official Review-eaaicdywsaeveeq.jpg

Source: Jato

MG Hector : Official Review-eaaicdywaayotot.jpg
volkman10 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 17th June 2020, 13:16   #285
Senior - BHPian

Couldn't help notice that the same car looks much better as Captiva.

Rebadging will only increase with consolidation among companies. Well, we made Creta and Seltos big hits, which are essentially the same cars. At least MG is not rebadging within India.
padmrajravi is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks