Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th October 2020, 21:14   #376

Re: Road trip to Landour (Mussoorie)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackjack View Post
After almost 7 months of corona-kaand and a 11 month long itch of taking my Hector DCT out for a long spin, was finally able to satisfy my need with a drive to Landour from Gurgaon, and back.
That's awesome to hear! I have used my Honda City Zx for 13 years and did 2L plus kms across India right from the mountains to plains. Most trips with 5 of us that included my parents. Yes, I too drove in the HC with its low GC from Musorie to Dhanulti last year with all of us in it. Included the dirt track to Everest's house near Mussorie too. Retired the car last week (it still works well) and got myself the DCT Smart. Reading your review is refreshing. Looking forward to some long drives as soon as this pandemic thing gets better. Till them b2b in Mumbai!

Last edited by aah78 : 27th October 2020 at 03:33. Reason: Quote trimmed. Please don't quote large posts entirely.
byzanram is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th October 2020, 21:51   #377
BHPian

Re: MG Hector : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolkurt View Post
Giving my Hector for its third service ie..15000 Kms. Plan to do a short term ownership review soon.
Hi, what was the service cost for the 15K service assuming you're having a diesel car? You got any AMC?

Last edited by aah78 : 27th October 2020 at 03:33. Reason: Spacing.
Old 26th October 2020, 21:53   #378
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueIndia View Post
Hi, what was the service cost for the 15K service assuming you're having a diesel car? You got any AMC?
The official service bill was around Rs 7.5k. But I have a Classic - 5 years/75k kms plan. So my bill came to around Rs 520.

Last edited by aah78 : 27th October 2020 at 03:33. Reason: Quoted post edited.
coolkurt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2020, 06:00   #379
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackjack View Post
Thanks for the quote, but have to admit that I found it cryptic. Could be that the extended screen times are making me dumber.
No issues- what I really meant that all that you described in words cannot be felt, the overall satisfaction has to be personally experienced. A fuel economy of 8-10 kmpl is a small price to pay in comparison.
fhdowntheline is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2020, 19:17   #380
BHPian

A lawyer has issued a legal notice to MG Motors alleging latent manufacturing defects in the newly-launched 'MG Hector. The dispute is regarding a car delivered in September 2019.

It is alleged that when the car was sent for second servicing, the company claimed that various parts of the car had totally failed because water from a bottle kept in the car spilled and entered the crucial parts beneath. Upon the customer raising objection as to damage to the car worth 20 Lakhs, due to a minor spillage of water from a 1L bottle, the company changed the version that water which found inside the car was excessive and could be because of rain and waterlogging. The customer, a Supreme Court lawyer, being aggrieved, has tendered a legal notice and is seeking full refund of the purchase price.

https://www.livelaw.in/news-updates/...-hector-165191
sparky@home is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2020, 20:49   #381
Senior - BHPian

A quick update.

Had got the 15k service done a couple of weeks back.
MG had added a mandatory tow hook replacement and an update to the ECU programming.

I had a faint rattle from the steering wheel when I went over bumps and I just happened to mention that. They decided to keep the car for a day, and they opened and adjusted the steering rack fitment and got rid of the noise.

MG Hector : Official Review-screenshot_20201031203848__01.jpg
MG Hector : Official Review-screenshot_20201031203853__01.jpg

The cost of the 15k service came to Rs 7,500 but since I have the Classic - 5 years/ 75k kms maintenance package, I had to pay only Rs 531.

All in all, pretty satisfied with the service experience and how the car has behaved 10 months on.

But my luck was short lived as three days back, a tempo guy tried to squeeze in his vehicle through the narrow space between another vehicle and mine and got stuck, and in his attempt to wrest through to and fro, managed to scratch the rear left well and proper.

MG Hector : Official Review-screenshot_20201031203903__01__01.jpg

Raised an insurance claim two days back and got the car back today, as good as new
coolkurt is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st November 2020, 13:26   #382
Senior - BHPian

3625 Hectors were sold in October 2020, which is the highest monthly figure since it's launch.

The tweet has a typo. The figure is 3625 for the Hector and Hector Plus. Another 125 units for the ZS EV bringing the total dispatches to 3750 units.

MG Hector : Official Review-screenshot_20201101125233__01.jpg

Last edited by coolkurt : 1st November 2020 at 13:32.
coolkurt is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2020, 21:42   #383
BHPian

Just got my permanent driving license in September, and finally drove our MG Hector for around 1000 Kms on a trip to Aurangabad and back

Ours is a black, smart petrol hybrid version. It was purchased in July 2019 and was one of the first Hectors in Vadodara. I Will provide my views on the vehicle so far, so consider this as a mini ownership review as well

So let us start from the beginning, my father opted for VRS from his company as he was starting his own business, and as a result, had some vitamin M. He wanted an SUV and the search started in March 2019. The probable vehicle list was shorted down to just 3 vehicles, which is the Jeep Compass, Tata Harrier, and the Ford Ecosport. The Hector was not even on the list as it was not launched yet and the looks did not appeal much to my family as well.

Test drove all 3 of them,
1.) The Ecosport was a very fine vehicle but was a bit too small as compared to the competitors and had started showing age.

2.) The Jeep Compass impressed a lot and the sales team was also the most knowledgeable and friendly of all the brands, but it overshot the budget and the discounts were also negligible.

3.) The Tata Harrier impressed on all the parameters and thus we finally booked the top of the line XZ variant in Telesto Gray color. The wait time quoted was for 2-3 months. In May somewhat, the Tata showroom calls us and asks that they have a white color XZ, ready for delivery and as we had booked with white as a preference, they wanted to deliver it. We clearly told them, that we had booked Telesto Grey and not White, but they were adamant. After a visit to the showroom, where we showed the receipt with Telesto Grey color, they admitted their mistake but told that the delivery would further shift by 2 months. This poor experience made us lose our trust, and we canceled our booking. Also of all the showrooms visited, the Tata one was the least interested and had absolutely no knowledge of the car.

That brought us back to square one. At the same time the news of MG Hector's launch came up, and we decided to visit the showroom. The car and the showroom experience were impressive and the car did not look as funky from the rear in the black color. We booked one and waited for the price release. The only reason for not selecting the top model was the presence of a sunroof, which both my father and mother do not like. Our delivery was scheduled in October, but luckily one of the initial buyers backed out and as we were next in line we decided to go forward with the purchase. The vehicle was delivered on July 26, and I did a thorough PDI, thanks to team-bhp.

After that, I went to my college and thus could not experience the vehicle much. Coming now to the last month, when I finally got my license and decided to accompany my father on a business trip to Aurangabad. I drove around a thousand kilometers, and we experienced all sorts of roads,

1.) From Vadodara to Navsari - 6 Lane NH8. The car did not disappoint a bit. It is a great cruiser, and the refinement of the engine is amazing. On the return segment, we experienced a lot of traffic, and even that did not lead to tiredness.
2.) Navsari to Saputara - This section has some hilly and 2 laned ghat road. Even here, the car did not disappoint, it has enough oomph to climb (guess the Hybrid battery pickup boost helps here). The handling is not the best and you cannot take curves at high speeds, that said the car does not feel out of control and can tackle these stretches as well.
3.) Saputara to Aurangabad, via Yeola - This was the section in which the car shone. Some sections of the road were under construction and they had craters, but the car glided over them, just slot into 2nd or 3rd gear and enjoy. Coming from a sedan, the ground clearance really really helps.

Mileage - The mileage which we got is quite decent. On highways at speeds of 100, we got a mileage of 13 Kmpl. On the ghat section, it was 10 Kmpl. And in city conditions as well it ranges from 10-11 Kmpl.

The seats are really comfortable for long drives, and the ground clearance is a benefit especially for our potholed filled roads. Just for example, when we used to go on 500 Kms plus highway rides in our Ameo, we had to take breaks every 2-3 Hrs, but in the Hector, you do not feel tired been after 5-6 Hrs of continuous driving.

Service - The Service experience has been quite good as well. The car went for its first major service, which is 1 year/ 10000 Km in September (we delayed it by 45 days due to the pandemic.) when it had run around 6500 km. The bill cost came to around 2200, which included a Teflon coating (for around 2000 Rs) and car perfume. The service advisor was also one of the most knowledgeable and the service center experience was also great.

So now coming to the final verdict:
The MG Hector is a good vehicle, the rear seat has acres of space (loved by my mother), the driving experience is also perfect for my father, who is a sedate driver and not an enthusiast. Would I recommend this for enthusiasts, the answer would be, NO. But as a family car and a retirement vehicle for my father, this ticks all the boxes.

The car has run around 8000 km, and we have a 3000 Km trip coming up, after which I hope to pen an ownership review.

ps:- I really really love the Tata Hexa and when we went to TD the Harrier, we also liked the Hexa, but the showroom did not have the TD car and even the price sheet. Tata needs to understand, that some of us really like their cars, but we have a family to convince and for them these little things matter. Anyways, hope that my own first vehicle will be a Hexa
msd7 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 14th November 2020, 10:39   #384
Senior - BHPian

Diwali greetings from MG Hector

Old 17th November 2020, 14:22   #385

Quick update on tank full to tank full mileage - this was special because the whole run was done in NCR. 80% was in Gurgaon while the rest was shuttling between Gurgaon and Delhi.

The full tank took in 50.3 liters of fuel, and it ran ~528 kms full tank. Gets me a mileage of ~10.5kmpl. It feels like i am getting a hang of driving it economically, without compromising on speed and pickup (to the extent I can).

Next up - 0-100 kmph. Will keep you guys updated.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 23rd November 2020 at 21:31. Reason: Typo.
Blackjack is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th November 2020, 19:17   #386
BHPian

Sharing my post from the Gloster Thread on related discussion. The latest issue of Autocar has an article on the service costs of cars compared across segments. The MG Hector comes across as the cheapest in its segment to maintain for both the Petrol and Diesel versions and by quite a fair bit!!

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.aut...ve-suvs-418688

I can attest to my personal experience with the Hector which has completed 1 year, 12,000 kms with one fault and zero service expense till now (I have the 5 year MG Protect Plan). Will share my experiences for the past 1 year with my MG soon.
PGNarain is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2020, 21:20   #387
Distinguished - BHPian

How does one get the kmpl readings on the mid?
I have been trying everything, but I don't see it.
mayankk is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2020, 15:33   #388

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
How does one get the kmpl readings on the mid?
I have been trying everything, but I don't see it.
It is not available any more. Also, IMHO, you don't need it. It restarts every ride, and you get the same number on the app. If you think it will give life time mileage or over a particular number of miles, it won't.

So ky suggestion would not be to fret about it.
Blackjack is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st January 2021, 22:23   #389

Quote:
Originally Posted by byzanram View Post
That's awesome to hear! I have used my Honda City Zx for 13 years and did 2L plus kms across India right from the mountains to plains. Most trips with 5 of us that included my parents. Yes, I too drove in the HC with its low GC from Musorie to Dhanulti last year with all of us in it. Included the dirt track to Everest's house near Mussorie too. Retired the car last week (it still works well) and got myself the DCT Smart. Reading your review is refreshing. Looking forward to some long drives as soon as this pandemic thing gets better. Till them b2b in Mumbai!
Hi, how has been the experience for you? Any long drives and trips?
Old 7th January 2021, 13:36   #390

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGNarain View Post
Sharing my post from the Gloster Thread on related discussion. The latest issue of Autocar has an article on the service costs of cars compared across segments. The MG Hector comes across as the cheapest in its segment to maintain for both the Petrol and Diesel versions and by quite a fair bit!!

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.aut...ve-suvs-418688

I can attest to my personal experience with the Hector which has completed 1 year, 12,000 kms with one fault and zero service expense till now (I have the 5 year MG Protect Plan). Will share my experiences for the past 1 year with my MG soon.
Waiting for the ownership thread.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks