Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st August 2021, 07:17   #451
BHPian

Re: MG Hector : Official Review

1. I have another query regarding the central console (infotainment unit). In my TD vehicle, I observed that the Infotainment Unit took some time to come up (after starting the car). Are you all comfortable operating the AC unit from the Digital Panel, or do you feel that it would have been better if there were parallel controls given below the unit for the AC.

2. How do you rate the service quality of MG. Do you generally get the date/time that you want or you have to accommodate based on workshop availability

Last edited by TSEA : 31st August 2021 at 07:19.
Old 31st August 2021, 22:03   #452
BHPian

Anyone knows if MG is going to launch Hector Diesel AT anytime soon? That's the only variant that seems missing and is needed given the competition!
Old 1st September 2021, 00:41   #453
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSEA View Post
Hi Everyone,

I am evaluating MG Hector Plus Petrol Mild Hybrid manual variant. I had few queries and wanted to get clarity from existing owners:

Thanks
Heyyy there, I own the MG Hector (not plus) Hybrid variant. Mine was one of the first hybrid variants to be delivered.

Regarding the efficiency, I have got about 10-11 Kmpl in normal city traffic (the mileage does improve after the first service) and 14-15 Kmpl on highways when driven with a light foot.

The moment you go heavy on the throttle the mileage tanks, which is a characteristic of turbo petrols.

The ground clearance is quite adequate and you'll clear most potholes easily. The suspension is on the softer side and in the city it takes all small bumps in its's stride. My mother especially loves the ride quality.

Highly recommend you take the AMC, I have the 3-year plan and my second-year service which took place just a month back cost just 80 Rs, this included car sanitation and pickup and drop. The one point where MG left me very impressed was the service center experience.

Hope this helps
msd7 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 1st September 2021, 20:20   #454
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by car_monarch View Post
Anyone knows if MG is going to launch Hector Diesel AT anytime soon? That's the only variant that seems missing and is needed given the competition!
MG have specifically mentioned on social media, responding to queries on the same, that for the time being there are no plans to bring a diesel automatic.

They must be seeing some benefit of doing so. May be the petrol is more profitable (it is inhouse while the diesel is purchased from FCA). Petrol automatic currently form a major change of their sales. In fact, petrol outsells the diesel for them while for the likes of Hyundai Creta, diesel constitutes 65% of total sales.(Just my speculation).

I'd guess they are holding their diesel automatic card and will play it at an appropriate time- e.g. to give the car a mid life boost.
RiverRanger is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2021, 13:49   #455
BHPian

Just bought a used MG HECTOR Petrol DCT. 2020 model had done only 12900km.

Had almost finalised a Crysta and wanted to just try the MG for academic interest.

I have the same impressions of the "Chinese" car as many of my auto friends. But was pleasantly surprised that it felt solid and was super comfortable.

I do a lot of travel and decided that comfort and being fresh on arrival was a top priority.

The Pre-owned dealer completed the 3rd service and handed the car to me like new.

Did 1800km in the first week. 95% highway driving. Enjoyed the space and comfort. Surely not a car for speed or torque enthusiasts. Once you learn to use the right pedal judiciously, there is enough push. Pedal to metal does not work.

More than me, my family, the occupants, were most happy with the ride and comfort compared to that of my earlier car the Octavia 1.4TSi.

It was surprisingly stable at high speeds and the roll and pitch were well contained.

I did not really accurately check the mileage (no full to full) but on an average, I may have got close to 12.5kmpl for the sensible highway driving I did.

Overall no regrets thus far.

I would need to get the "internet inside" sim configured to my number as an owner, for which I would need to go to the dealership once I get my transfer papers done.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 8th September 2021 at 10:24. Reason: Typos
satyanu28 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th September 2021, 00:50   #456
BHPian

I extensively drive my close friends 2019 Hector DCT.

Is it just me or this gearbox is horribly confused?

I have cumulatively driven this car for 700-800+ kilometres in different settings ( Highway, Traffic Jams, Night city drives), and every single time this gearbox irrattates the hell out of me.

It takes 3-4 seconds to just start moving. If driven with a light foot, it takes very long to gain speed. With a moderate to heavy foot, the car is just fumbling with the gears all the time.

My friend is also far from a car enthusiast, but she also notices that the gearbox is dumb. Since her other cars are an E220d and 730ld, she thought cheaper cars (relatively) just drive like this.

Do other Hector DCT owners also feel the same or am I doing something completely wrong?
Pratyush2407 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2021, 09:53   #457
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pratyush2407 View Post

I have cumulatively driven this car for 700-800+ kilometres in different settings ( Highway, Traffic Jams, Night city drives), and every single time this gearbox irrattates the hell out of me.

It takes 3-4 seconds to just start moving. If driven with a light foot, it takes very long to gain speed. With a moderate to heavy foot, the car is just fumbling with the gears all the time.

My friend is also far from a car enthusiast, but she also notices that the gearbox is dumb. Since her other cars are an E220d and 730ld, she thought cheaper cars (relatively) just drive like this.

Do other Hector DCT owners also feel the same or am I doing something completely wrong?
Ahhhh! No offence but is that why I always see Hectors on highways always driving slow, like waaaayy under the speed limit!
Seriously, I am not even joking... Each and every Hector i have ever seen on the highway was always being driven sanely, I have never come across a Hector being driven in a spirited manner.
Candy$Cars is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th September 2021, 22:00   #458
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy$Cars View Post
Ahhhh! No offence but is that why I always see Hectors on highways always driving slow, like waaaayy under the speed limit!
Seriously, I am not even joking... Each and every Hector i have ever seen on the highway was always being driven sanely, I have never come across a Hector being driven in a spirited manner.
Your point being? One should not drive sanely? The hector as each and every owner knows before he/she buys the car, is not meant for the enthusiastic driver. This is a fact known. No one buys a hector for the spirited drive. For that there are plenty of other cars surely. The hector excels in after sales service, comfort, big on space, suspension and generally a hassle free car. Relatively speaking. Hope your confusion is cleared up now?

It is a big car with a relatively small engine. My Cvt is smooth as silk. No hassles. No niggles. I happy doing 118kmph at the most. Because after that, the speed limit ding ding just gets super annoying. So I see no point in driving past 120 anyways. IMHO.
derek is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 5th September 2021, 22:43   #459
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy$Cars View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by derek View Post
The hector excels in after sales service, comfort, big on space, suspension and generally a hassle free car. Relatively speaking. Hope your confusion is cleared up now?
I do agree to this. I have never seen a MG driven outside the legal limits or putting anyone at risk. It does creates an illusion in my mind though, since at first glimpse, I tend to compare MG with Toyota Fortuner because of its sheer size and road presence. On the other hand, many sitting on the driver seat of the Fortuner tend it use it at its full potential (no offense meant to anyone who follow the rules). On more than a few occasions on road, I had spoken to my co-passenger that the person driving the MG should be a role model for everyone behind the wheels.
meto is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th September 2021, 15:49   #460
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pratyush2407 View Post

I don't own the Hector yet but have taken test drives in Hector and Hector Plus CVTs. While the car certainly won't launch and give one a "whoaa" feeling, it was smooth and refined. I also found the Sports mode improved the performance, but not as much as in, say, Nexon Petrol iMT (another test drive of mine).
Old 9th September 2021, 13:15   #461
BHPian

Dear MG Owners,
I have almost finalized the 5th gen Honda City CVT. Loved the drive and smooth transmission. Only thing pulling me back is the built quality of Honda is not the same as a decade back. There are reported niggles with the ICE, rattles, rusting issues to name a few. MG Hector and soon to be launched Astor are other two vehicles, I am considering; have already ruled out other vehicles from the 10 to 20 lacs segment. I request the following information from the current hector users to help me make up my mind

1. Are there any quality issues with MG?
2. How is the service experience?
3. Have you ever approached the dealer/ company for any issue? How responsive are the dealer/ Company if the need arises?
4. How expensive is it to maintain the Hector? Is the service cost reasonable? Do the service centers try to fleece the owners with unnecessary add-on during service?
5. Is parts availability an issue?

All I am looking for is a car that can go from point A to B within the city and occasion highway cruise, without being stranded. Also looking for a car that will not bother me other than the routine servicing.

Sorry for posting too many question.

Thanks and regards
Bravo

Last edited by bravo82in : 9th September 2021 at 13:16. Reason: Grammer
bravo82in is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2021, 13:27   #462
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bravo82in View Post
Dear MG Owners, regards
Bravo
1. Are there any quality issues with MG?- too soon to tell, but everything feels too notch, hefty. Looks like its built well. Also passed the pseudo safety test of "sheet metal bending"
2. How is the service experience?- excellent. That's one of the best parts with MG. Extremely professional. Quick work, excellent lounges if you want to hang around while your cars in.
3. Have you ever approached the dealer/ company for any issue? How responsive are the dealer/ Company if the need arises? - Yes. One thing I suggest to all owners is to buy a hydraulic jack . That was a sub quality unit in my car, could be the same in others. I went to MG for it, and they were very responsive in arranging a full kit off spares for him. I don't use that though. Once bitten scene.
4. How expensive is it to maintain the Hector? Is the service cost reasonable? Do the service centers try to fleece the owners with unnecessary add-on during service? - if you take the shield package, it's minuscule. I have the labor free for 5 services package, and my first proper service at 10k cost me around 2500. I'm planning to upgrade my plan though. Standard upsell will be added in service, you have to be careful when approving the job card(acclean, disinfect, etc. Get them removed when approving). Wheel balancing alignment etc you can get done outside, but rotation has to be done at mg since the Tpms needs calibration with the hu and the mid.
5. Is parts availability an issue? - you'll have to go to MG only, For now, and parts are stocked In India itself. No naatak of "ordered from China, will come in 2 weeks. "

PS: On paper your usage is very similar to mine.

Last edited by mayankk : 9th September 2021 at 13:28.
mayankk is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 9th September 2021, 13:47   #463
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
1. Are there any quality issues with MG?-
On paper your usage is very similar to mine.
Thank you Mayank, that was a really quick reply.
Service centres make or break a brand.
Service experience and build quality is a deal breaker for me. (I owned a Tata Aria for 9 years, and one can understand why) The car will be primarily used by my wife. All she wants is a trouble free ownership. She loves the city and Astor for the exterior looks and hector for the comfortable seats, space and interiors. Hope waiting for the Astor is worth the time. We do own a Crysta and Jazz for highway and city duties respectively.

Cheers
bravo82in is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 12th September 2021, 12:41   #464
BHPian

Thank you all for clarifying most of my previous queries. I have one more ask. How do you find the clutch on the petrol variants.

1. Is the clutch soft to press

2. Is the clutch travel very much manageable (I drove the Diesel Alcazar few days back, and while the clutch was soft, the travel was little longer than I would have liked)

3. What is the RPM for 100 kmph on 6th gear
Old 12th September 2021, 13:35   #465
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSEA View Post
Thank you all for clarifying most of my previous queries. I have one more ask. How do you find the clutch on the petrol variants.
1. Is the clutch soft to press - Yes

2. Is the clutch travel very much manageable (I drove the Diesel Alcazar few days back, and while the clutch was soft, the travel was little longer than I would have liked) - Not long at all. I'd say median

3. What is the RPM for 100 kmph on 6th gear- I recall seeing somewhere near 2.3-2.5 K constantly on the ALE.
mayankk is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks