Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 8th November 2021, 11:37   #496
BHPian

Re: MG Hector : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhruvwali View Post
Fairly accurate, fuel efficiency might be off by 0.5kmpl if you compare tankful to tankful, but ive found it to be mostly accurate.

note - compare this over large distances driven - that will give true picture, dont see efficiency in under 10kms driven, that will give widely varied result.
Continuing on the discussion on fuel efficiency. I have a Hector Plus manual petrol hybrid. If the numbers on the app are close to accurate, then I am kind of pleasantly surprised with the kmpl numbers.

I am getting 12+ kmpl for neighbourhood runs (<6 kms). The route is through internal roads of south Bangalore

MG Hector : Official Review-whatsapp-image-20211108-11.29.12.jpeg

I did manage to get 15+ kmpl for a couple of sections of my last highway run (Bandipur-->Mysore and similar figures for Bangalore -->Mysore).

MG Hector : Official Review-whatsapp-image-20211108-11.30.06.jpeg

All these for a vehicle which weighs around 2100+ kgs and is less than a month old

Last edited by Aditya : 9th December 2021 at 19:58.
TSEA is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th November 2021, 11:54   #497
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSEA View Post
Continuing on the discussion on fuel efficiency. I have a hector plus manual petrol hybrid. If the numbers on the app are close to accurate, then I am kind of pleasantly surprised with the kmpl numbers.

I am getting 12+ kmpl for neighbourhood runs (<6 kms). The route is through internal roads of south bangalore

Attachment 2229512

I did managed to get 15+ kmpl for a couple of sections of my last highway run (Bandipur-->Mysore and similar figures for Bangalore -->Mysore).

Attachment 2229513

All these for a vehicle which weighs around 2100+ kgs and is less than a month old
Tankful to Tankful would give a correct reading I believe. Many manufacturers report more than 1.5-2 kmpl more on console while actual FE is less

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 9th December 2021 at 09:22. Reason: A word
neoonwheels is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th November 2021, 09:39   #498
BHPian

Now that XUV700 has got NCAP rating of 5 and has been able to sell more units than Hector in October, is there any news/intel on when MG will get Hector's safety tested? Will we get NCAP rating anytime soon?

I have booked Hector Sharp CVT and expecting delivery in Dec/Jan. Safety results before that would be a ++.
Old 11th November 2021, 14:43   #499
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manpreetsj View Post
Now that XUV700 has got NCAP rating of 5 and has been able to sell more units than Hector in October, is there any news/intel on when MG will get Hector's safety tested? Will we get NCAP rating anytime soon?

I have booked Hector Sharp CVT and expecting delivery in Dec/Jan. Safety results before that would be a ++.
There's some issue with the (not so spectacular) results. Please peruse below thread on the discussion:

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-...ml#post5190620 (MG Hector NCAP safety rating to be revealed soon)

Apparently the tweet that referred to Hector being tested was also taken down. Fishy 🤔
Old 11th November 2021, 19:26   #500
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP View Post
There's some issue with the (not so spectacular) results. Please peruse below thread on the discussion:

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-...ml#post5190620 (MG Hector NCAP safety rating to be revealed soon)

Apparently the tweet that referred to Hector being tested was also taken down. Fishy 🤔
Yes read that thread. Issue is that it's closed. Seems like all have been mum on this point since then. For sure something seems fishy.

Though the general feedback seems to be positive on the overall built quality, maybe something that owners can vouch for. However, Seltos also initially seemed to be well built but Ncap was an eye opener!!
Old 11th November 2021, 20:40   #501
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP View Post

Apparently the tweet that referred to Hector being tested was also taken down. Fishy.
The date for revealing Global NCAP results is decided before the testing happens, and there is no delay in ratings if the result is poor.

This is not up to MG to decide unless the test was sponsored by them, and even in that case the date would have been fixed in the sponsorship offer itself.

There are special cases in which a result may be delayed, for example if sponsorship of further tests by the manufacturer is required to determine the rating (especially in cases where the frontal test was paid for by Global NCAP sponsors), if the test lab equipment fails or the test fails to meet protocol (in which case the laboratory must pay to have the test repeated in its entirety)

It is best to wait before attempting to draw any definite conclusions and if this model has been tested you might have results very soon.

There is an embargo on revealing results and manufacturers may not reveal the model, release date or result until the date and time when the embargo ends. That would explain why MG has deleted the Tweet.
ron178 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th November 2021, 21:42   #502
BHPian

https://motoroctane.com/news/227281-...adas-exclusive

As expected as per latest bite from Motoroctane, Hector 2022 will get ADAS. It is getting tested. Hope to see the facelift come out in early January!

Last edited by manpreetsj : 25th November 2021 at 21:43. Reason: Corrections
manpreetsj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th November 2021, 20:24   #503
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manpreetsj View Post
As expected as per latest bite from Motoroctane, Hector 2022 will get ADAS. It is getting tested. Hope to see the facelift come out in early January!
More than ADAS, they need a Diesel Automatic!
car_monarch is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2021, 13:07   #504
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by car_monarch View Post
More than ADAS, they need a Diesel Automatic!
I don't think MG is still serious about bringing Diesel Automatic. There has been no hint from Co. till date on them considering this as an option.

However, given the way Harrier's sales picked up after bringing in AT variant and also with increasing competition, MG should bring in Diesel AT soon. This Fiat engine is already having AT in Harrier anf Compass. Not much of innovation or R&D needed right?!

Though the industry is going through transition phase which will see more investments in EV and more stricter norms, I would go for petrol from resale perspective. Since it isn't a luxury car, a new brand's resale will detoriate further driven by such market factors.
Old 28th November 2021, 15:40   #505
Senior - BHPian

With MG anyway struggling hard to fulfill orders of the many models of Hector/Hector Plus they have rolled out, due to the semiconductor shortage, it may not make sense to being out a diesel automatic on priority, as the incremental fulfilled orders might not rise fast enough.

MG made a name for it significantly based on an image of it being a feature loaded and futuristic brand (in their price segment). With it's direct competitor, Mahindra XUV700 bringing it, and Astor and Gloster already having it, ADAS seems like a logical step to retain that full-of-features futuristic vehicle image. Much has been invested in that image.
Poitive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2021, 00:05   #506
BHPian

Quote:
Continuing on the discussion on fuel efficiency. I have a hector plus manual petrol hybrid. If the numbers on the app are close to accurate, then I am kind of pleasantly surprised with the kmpl numbers.

I am getting 12+ kmpl for neighbourhood runs (<6 kms). The route is through internal roads of south bangalore
My app is giving me a less rosy picture- I get ~8-9 for smaller runs in the city and 12-13 on the highway- with a similar driving score as yours.

My first 30 litres took to me to ~300km- which included about 70-80km of highway-ish runs. That aligns with the app figure.
RiverRanger is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2021, 02:12   #507
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi TSEA, The little I could find about the kerb weight of the Hector, IIRC it was between 1550 to 1700kgs approx, based on the variant. Is that correct or does it really weigh ≈2100 kgs?
Old 1st December 2021, 11:51   #508
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poitive View Post
Hi TSEA, The little I could find about the kerb weight of the Hector, IIRC it was between 1550 to 1700kgs approx, based on the variant. Is that correct or does it really weigh ≈2100 kgs?
My RC puts it at 1650 kg. I guess it will become ~2 ton only with full load of adults and luggage.
Old 8th December 2021, 00:12   #509
BHPian

Hi everyone,

I dont know if this has been covered earlier or not, but have there been any issues with the DPF warning light on the hector, I am contemplating upgrading to the Hector from the Elite I20 and considering the diesel top end as the price between the diesel and the petrol CVT is minimal. My running is only within the city and very low, ideally I would and should go for the petrol but the mileage figures of the petrol within the city are frankly scary and we need a car that comfortably sits 5 since my family has grown and my parents refuse to sit in the i20's backseat now due to the very litle leg room.

Just wanted to know if anyone with similar usage has had any DPF related issues.

Last edited by chirag08 : 8th December 2021 at 00:28. Reason: Missed out 'know'
Old 8th December 2021, 19:32   #510
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chirag08 View Post
Hi everyone,

My running is only within the city and very low, ideally I would and should go for the petrol but the mileage figures of the petrol within the city are frankly scary and we need a car that comfortably sits 5 since my family has grown and my parents refuse to sit in the i20's backseat now due to the very litle leg room.
Do consider the Hybrid Petrol version as well. It will give you a mileage of ~8-9 in the city, it will be remarkably quiet and vibration-free compared to the diesel (a real boon in city traffic) and it will save you 1.6-1.7L upfront during the purchase for the top end. Plus you won't have to deal with any potential headache for NCR-like rules coming to your city (Diesel vehicles 10 years only etc)

Most Viewed