Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 5th November 2019, 13:58   #76
BHPian

Re: MG Hector : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post

So while they are late, it would be risky to simply rule them out this early.
History has been proof that MSIL hasn't had any success in selling cars in the D-segment. Although part of that can be attributed to their half-hearted attempt, MSIL doesn't have the 'brand' image to sell cars in this price bracket. But times have changed since the Kizashi and Grand Vitara were sold and Maruti may prove us wrong with a miracle.
revsperminute is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2019, 14:50   #77
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by revsperminute View Post
But times have changed since the Kizashi and Grand Vitara were sold and Maruti may prove us wrong with a miracle.
which "times" are you talking about ? both flopped in india. Utterly. Miserably. Even the S-cross has had its sunset. Whats common with all three models the kizashi, Grand Vitara & S-Cross ? They are very un-indianized-suzuki cars, which dont give great FE due to the heavier materials used for construction. That's because two separate production standards (like which exists for swift hatch) - weaker ones for india and stronger ones for international markets were deemed un-necessary citing the low volumes that these were expected to generate. And predictably, these failed the litmus test "kitna deti hai" and subsequently flopped. Another important reason is that indian car market is extremely class conscious, maruti badge is only for just-graduated-from-2wheeler lower/middle class and not for the urban rich and sethjis (they would consider the "S" badge either as their 2nd or 3rd car for shopping/misc runs and not as their 'mainstay' car). A sethji would suffer a tremendous ego hit if he parks his "S" badged kizashi next to his employee's "S" badged wagonR in his jewellery store's parking lot. Whether we like it or not, that's the truth about our country.
venkyhere is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th November 2019, 18:01   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkyhere View Post
which "times" are you talking about ? both flopped in india. Utterly. Miserably. Even the S-cross has had its sunset.
======
kizashi next to his employee's "S" badged wagonR in his jewellery store's parking lot. Whether we like it or not, that's the truth about our country.
Sir, it seems there has been an misunderstanding. I was implying that times have changed since the period in which the Kizashi was available in our market. Maruti has become a Baleno/Ciaz company from a Alto/WagonR company. And with some effort over time, who can guarantee it won't become a D-segment brand one day?
revsperminute is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th November 2019, 21:06   #79
Senior - BHPian

How are the cornering lamps on the Hector? And is the lack of puddle lamps a miss in this segment?

The only thing I'll miss is an auto dimming IRVM.

Also, guys please stay on the topic and discuss only about the Hector here. MSIL and it's strategies can be discussed on other threads. Mods kindly take note.
coolkurt is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th November 2019, 11:23   #80
BHPian

Awesome Review Deserves more than 5 stars!

I have been following Hector closely and its on my wish list for upgrade. Few times, I had the urge to book and take delivery of Hector DCT but I recollected one of GTO's post about merit of waiting for official review. I am glad that I didnt' listen to my urge and not yet booked one

After reading the review I felt as if I am doing the test drive, it is so much into details. Also, the performance of DCT has been black and white now with such a comprehensive reviews. Kudos to the mods for investing so much efforts.

When I and my wife first looked at Hector, it was a love at first sight. However after seeing it few times more and also with multiple sightings on road, we are looking at it more objectively. We may eventually go for Hector and but would like to wait for few months to evaluate Harrier/Buzzard AT before putting 20 Lacs on Hector. The official review has certainly provided the required insights to make an informed choice.
varman742 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th November 2019, 16:58   #81
BANNED

Brand new Hector brokedown after coming out of the showroom:https://www.facebook.com/groups/4172...0706161814597/

Watch it before it was pulled down from the internet, it happened in the past, it might happen now also.
Old 6th November 2019, 18:02   #82
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelguy View Post
Brand new Hector brokedown after coming out of the showroom:https://www.facebook.com/groups/4172...0706161814597/

Watch it before it was pulled down from the internet, it happened in the past, it might happen now also.
Well, a lot of such posts are surfacing of late. Which is why the mods on the groups are prompting posters to verify ownership. Otherwise, the posts need to be pulled down for negative publicity.

If it's really an issue, then it's not a good thing to happen to a new car. The clutch is hard but I don't see how taking the car out of the showroom can instantly burn a clutch plate or clutch bearing.
coolkurt is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th November 2019, 18:03   #83
BHPian

Before I went ahead and purchased a Harrier, I had been evaluating the Hector as the only other serious option. Seltos and Creta are a segment below and even my ex-car, the Duster 110 felt more spacious and not at all claustrophobic.

My 2 cents:

Pros:
The Hector definitely offers much more bang for the rupee when compared to the Harrier. Build quality is good and the Chinese Baujon 530 has a very solid 5-star CNCAP rating. Seats were comfortable for the short drives that we were offered, with only the under-thigh support seemed lesser when compared to the Harrier. The infotainment system worked well and the Infinity speakers were tuned beautifully. The diesel-engine was astonishingly quiet for its size. (I was looking to graduate from the Duster). The sales-people here and the ones who trained them deserve a shoutout. Knowledge levels about the car are good. They don't keep harping about superficial things like the "air-purifier". The sales-person allotted to me was apparently unwell and his colleague called me to inform that the bookings had opened. I cordially told him that I had already purchased a Tata Harrier. The original sales-person went out of his way to drop a congratulatory message.

Cons:
There were 4 Hectors in the showroom and all 4 had varying gaps on the bonnet. The gear of the car for the test drive was very jerky. I haven't read this feedback anywhere else, so it could be an exception. After-Sales service and cost of spares with the dealer selling a single car scares me. Volumes will drop in early 2020 when others bring in facelifts and new models.

My decision to purchase the Harrier over the Hector was based on two facts:
1) We found the Harrier to be a better ride for the highway where I spend 90% of my time. The Hector had a bit of a roll.
2) My running is at least 30,000 kms a year.

If I were primarily a city driver with low running, I might have considered the Hector over the Harrier as it is easier to drive within the city. Both are good cars and one should decide based on requirements and priorities.
Jattitude is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 6th November 2019, 18:06   #84
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelguy View Post
I think most breakdowns reported are of clutch burnouts in Diesel model. Tata Harrier which has the same engine also has a few clutch burnout issues reported. I am not a technical person, but some expert can suggest whether this particular engine gearbox combo could be extra sensitive to clutch riding.

Last edited by aah78 : 6th November 2019 at 18:32. Reason: Quote trimmed.
rkv_hunter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2019, 14:56   #85

Fantastic review with phenomenal amount of details and pictures. Congratulations on the new ride. Enjoy!
Old 7th November 2019, 15:24   #86
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jattitude View Post
My decision to purchase the Harrier over the Hector was based on two facts:
1) We found the Harrier to be a better ride for the highway where I spend 90% of my time. The Hector had a bit of a roll.
2) My running is at least 30,000 kms a year.
Congrats on getting the Harrier home.

I too drive a Duster 110 and the Hector / Harrier look like the next upgrade ... when it happens.

What is your opinion on the warranty options provided by Tata on the Harrier compared to the better offerings from MG?
Old 7th November 2019, 15:50   #87
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tgo View Post
Congrats on getting the Harrier home.

I too drive a Duster 110 and the Hector / Harrier look like the next upgrade ... when it happens.

What is your opinion on the warranty options provided by Tata on the Harrier compared to the better offerings from MG?
Thank you! Tata too now offers an optional 5 years warranty with the Harrier as "Pentacare Warranty". Mandatorily buy this if you do happen to purchase the Harrier. I had negotiated the same as a part of my purchase.

I'm not sure why it's still optional though.
Old 7th November 2019, 16:09   #88
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkv_hunter View Post
I think most breakdowns reported are of clutch burnouts in Diesel model. Tata Harrier which has the same engine also has a few clutch burnout issues reported. I am not a technical person, but some expert can suggest whether this particular engine gearbox combo could be extra sensitive to clutch riding.
You'll see that often in ghats - with powerful high end cars from Compass right to the Volvos and the X6.
Reason? Drivers with less experience driving powerful torque monster diesel engines in heavy cars. The drivers tend to lug the engine, ride the clutch in higher engines as the engine "seems" to continue to pull. The laziness to downshift & perceived ability of the engine to pull in higher gear eventually burns the clutch out. And we see a premium car stationary with white smoke out of the bonnet on those inclines.
Reinhard is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 7th November 2019, 16:17   #89
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkv_hunter View Post
The clutch burnouts are due to two reasons:

- The clutch return spring used on the first few batches of Harriers (and Compass too) was defective and wouldn't allow the clutch to return to position. This would lead to partial engagement and slipping that would wear the clutch plates without the driver even having his foot on the pedal

- the second reason as already stated is the driver. No matter how lag free a turbo diesel or any engine for that matter is deemed to be, being in the wrong gear at the wrong speed will lead to it vibrating and protesting. Some people just slip the clutch excessively and think they have found a solution to the problem when in reality they are just destroying the clutch. This gets amplified on ghats and inclines.
vishy76 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 10th November 2019, 12:46   #90
BHPian

I have a 10 year old Chevy Captiva automatic with AWD. Its been a good ownership experience. I have been looking for a replacement but have not come across a suitable replacement. The Hector comes the closest but has neither an auto diesel nor an AWD. Otherwise the car seems terrific .

Thanks for an awesome review. Now i await the review of the Seltos and the Harrier diesel automatic before I make up my mind.

Incidentally, I had bought a Hyundai Grand i 10 for my wife after a cursory test drive, based on the BHP review. Never regretted my decision.
vgsr is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed