Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th December 2023, 23:48   #706
BHPian

Re: MG Hector : Official Review

Recently did a one day trip to Chandigarh.
Just wanted to share mileage we received from Hector Petrol hybrid M/T with AC set at 25C MG Hector : Official Review-8eb888cbc9f44e7a974eb07a1916fdff.jpeg

This was achieved by never crossing 100kmph and giving smooth acceleration inputs. There were 4 occupants in the car.
Tanmay_868 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th January 2024, 16:07   #707
BANNED

Still, by buying their goods, you indirectly sponsor them, right? I'd refrain from it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
The Nazis did terrible things, so did the Japs during world war - so do we carry this in memory and baulk from buying anything German/Japanese? China is upto no good at the borders, so let the diplomats handle it. The day their goods are banned, I'll stop buying. Market forces will decide. I think we should keep business and nationalistic pride far apart from each other. Once generated, data will always be used in some form or other (sometimes to mischief)
Old 19th January 2024, 12:59   #708
GST
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanmay_868 View Post
Greetings to all respected members of forum.
This being my first post on team-bhp, please excuse me for any errors in post.

8. The 3D mats from MG become dirty very easily and become very tough to clean.
Yeah, the 3D mats are really pain to clean. I have a car vacuum cleaner but because of the height of indents on the mat, that vacuum cleaner can't pick up small stone debris. I have to use my home vacuum cleaner for this. It defeats the purpose of having a car vacuum cleaner. Once this mat goes bad or patchy I will not pick it up, and we should advise people against buying this accessory. Another issue I noticed with the mat is that the velcro tape used to keep it in place is really strong and picking up the mat makes me feel like I would be ruining the carpet of the car. The 3D mat I got looked good in the showroom but now I realize that it is a very poorly thought out accessory.
GST is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2024, 20:40   #709
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GST View Post
Another issue I noticed with the mat is that the velcro tape used to keep it in place is really strong and picking up the mat makes me feel like I would be ruining the carpet of the car. The 3D mat I got looked good in the showroom but now I realize that it is a very poorly thought out accessory.
Yes I also faced the other issue. In fact my front driver seat mat holder has broken due to excessive force used by the car cleaner. It is difficult to clean even by vacuuming.
Tanmay_868 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2024, 20:46   #710
BHPian

2022 MG Hector Plus: Petrol CVT - 16,000 KM Review

Hello BHpians,

I have been daily driving my MG Hector Plus, Petrol CVT (Glaze Red with Starry Black) for around one and a half years. So I wanted to share my experience with all of you in hopes that it might help someone make up their mind regarding the car.

I took delivery of my Hector Plus on 8th December 2022 and have since driven it a total of 16,000 kilometers.

While a facelift was expected not too long after that...after inquiring with multiple dealerships we came to the conclusion that we didn't need to wait since most of the changes coming to the 2023 Hector were coming to the regular Hector and not the plus.

Let me first take you all through our selection process and options:-

The other cars we were considering were the Mahindra XUV 700, Hyundai Alcazar & Creta, Skoda Kushaq/Volkswagen Taigun, Tata Harrier, Maruti Suzuki Grand Vitara/Toyota Hyryder and Kia Carens & Seltos.

How we eliminated the other options:-

1st elimination: My father and I found the headroom and leg space in Maruti and Toyota to be inadequate so they were out straight away. (For reference I am 6'2 and my father is 6 feet tall)

Side note: My mother and I didn't like the look of the Vitara or Hyryder either.

2nd elimination: While we liked the features present on the Kias and Hyundais, they were out since we wanted a good safety rating.

3rd Elimination: We had just come from a Tata Safari Dicor (2007) which had served us well which is why we had a favorable opinion of the company, however, the boot space on the Harrier(445L) was inadequate in comparison to our Safari(981L) and all of us didn't like the new Safari at all so the Tatas were out as well.
Similarly, while we loved the performances of Skoda and Volkswagen, however, the dearth of features and small boots caused us to eliminate them.
(Although to be fair, no car compared to our old companion in terms of boot space)

Side note: The driving experience of the Kushaq and Taigun left a really deep impression on both my father and me. So much so that I ended up buying the Taigun just a couple of days ago since we required a second car for our house.

The 4th (final) elimination: We really liked the XUV, it had both looks and features and initially we were willing to compromise on the boot space but after careful consideration, we felt that the fit and finish of the car were a little lacking in comparison to the hector and that along with the fact that there was a 10 lakh rupee price difference between the top models of the two made us decide on the Hector Plus Petrol CVT.

Cut to a week later and it was already time to take delivery of our car.

MG Hector : Official Review-img_1740.jpg
(Didn't know my camera was dirty so the photo came out blurry.)

PPF:-
We got PPF applied on our Hector but unfortunately, the studio that did our car did a sub-par job because of this the Morris Garages Badging and some other accessories on our Hector were damaged and developed cracks. (one of the letters in Morris Garages also came off during a road trip from Delhi to Gujarat which was a little over 3000 KM)

Note: It cost us around 80k.

Our learnings: Firstly, we should be more careful while choosing the detailers to whom we hand our car. Secondly, one should get the PPF done before getting the accessories for the car to avoid any damage to them during the removal process for the application of PPF.

Coming to the main review of the car and our overall experience with it.

The good:-

1. Love the interior of the car, it is very luxurious and the materials used make the car feel very premium. The overall fit and finish of the car is great.

MG Hector : Official Review-img_1696.jpg

2. The car is very spacious and comfortable: My father (6 foot) is able to sit behind my (6 foot 2 inches) driving position with ample legroom and the headroom is great throughout the car. In fact, I can even sit in the third row for a short journey (albeit uncomfortably).

MG Hector : Official Review-img_1695.jpg

3. The car feels very open and airy due to the captain seats and panoramic sunroof which is high(biggest in the class).

MG Hector : Official Review-img_1738.jpg

4. The cabin is very well isolated so very little noise is able to travel inside the car which along with the quiet petrol engine makes for a smooth ride.

5. The suspension is very soft which makes it feel like you are driving a cloud simply floating through the city. (It is definitely made for laid-back city driving) Since the acceleration is gradual you don't even realise that you are cruising at over 80 kmph.

6. The 5-star Gncap rating along with disc breaks in all 4 tyres give me peace of mind when driving on highways. (In fact the brakes have proven their worth and saved us from being involved in a crash around 5 times)

7. The music system is great and crisp. (I especially love the bass)

8. The boot space is adequate(with the third row down) and we are able to get everything we want comfortably.

MG Hector : Official Review-img_1737.jpg
Here the car is carrying around 320-350 odd kgs of mangoes along with our luggage of 3 suitcases (2 large and 1 medium) underneath.
[Although 5 boxes(50 kgs) had to be kept in and around the second row]

The 'not bad':-
1. The car is not built to be agile, there is a considerable lag between the time you push the accelerator and the acceleration itself. And this rubber band effect increases even more if you drive the car in Eco mode. And finally, sports mode isn't that sporty and the difference is very minimal so I don't really find myself ever using it.

Note: I don't like the way the car drives in Eco mode at low speeds like 10 - 20 kmph since the car always seems to want to stop and sometimes feels like it needs to downshift(Almost as if it's about to stall).

2. When cornering at higher speeds there is significant body roll(not so much that it's alarming but enough to not be completely confident).

The bad:-

The most important thing to many of us is the mileage... it's one of Hector's biggest flaws, its Achilles heel if you will:-
In a city like Delhi the car can give anywhere between 6.5 - 7 kmpl (in normal mode), around 7 - 8(in eco mode) and I haven't really tried sports mode while being stuck in traffic .
On highways, the car gives around 7 in sports mode, 8 - 9 kmpl in normal mode, and 9 - 9.5 kmpl in eco-mode.
Note: I drive semi-aggressively. (Not so aggressive that I cut everyone off to reach one second faster but if I see an opportunity to overtake and the other driver doesn't seem to be going for it then I do overtake without fail)

There are some other things that annoy me but aren't really deal-breakers like:-
1. The fact that Android Auto and Apple Carplay are wired and the integration of navigation apps isn't good with the display on the speedometer. (It shows no direction information with Android Auto and shows some information with Apple Carplay but that is also inconsistent)
2. The car's software glitched continuously for a month and it kept on detecting low tire pressure in the rear left wheel despite there not being any real issue. There was another continuous glitch simultaneously which caused the car to say things repeatedly three times. (like it repeated welcome and the rear left tire has abnormally low pressure three times in a row as soon as you start the car and the infotainment system boots up)
Note: These glitches suddenly vanished after annoying me for a little over a month.
3. The engine light has come on randomly on three separate occasions and stays for anywhere between 1 to 3 days before vanishing.

Overall experience: It is an amazing car overall, with a great price-to-feature ratio along with great safety, and has served us very well so far. It's perfect for my parents who want an easy-going and very comfortable car. (I love it too but I like a bit more thrill in the driving department)

MG Hector : Official Review-img_1697.jpg

MG Hector : Official Review-img_1741.jpg

MG Hector : Official Review-img_1699.jpg

Definitely recommend it.

Last edited by BrakHorseBarhat : 4th April 2024 at 21:07. Reason: spelling mistake
BrakHorseBarhat is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 4th April 2024, 21:03   #711
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrakHorseBarhat View Post

2022 MG Hector Plus: Petrol CVT - 16,000 KM Review

Hello BHpians,

I have been daily driving my MG Hector Plus, Petrol CVT (Glaze Red with Starry Black) for around one and a half years. So I wanted to share my experience with all of you in hopes that it might help someone make up their mind regarding the car.

The good:-

2. The car is very spacious and comfortable: My father (6 foot) is able to sit behind my (6 foot 2 inches) driving position with ample legroom and the headroom is great throughout the car. In fact, I can even sit in the third row for a short journey (albeit uncomfortably).

6. The 5-star Gncap rating along with disc breaks in all 4 tyres give me peace of mind when driving on highways. (In fact the brakes have proven their worth and saved us from being involved in a crash around 5 times)

Definitely recommend it.
Congratulations on the car and wishing you many thousands of more miles and smiles in the future.

As someone who has the same ‘configuration’ - 6.2 and father 6 ft - I echo a lot of your sentiments regarding the space on offer on the Hector.

I was just curious to know - where did you find out the GNCAP rating of the Hector? I was under the impression it hasn’t been tested yet. Am still in the market for a car and I’ve been circling many but if Hector has a 5 star rating I’ll start considering it again (despite my bad experience booking it in the past)!
Old 4th April 2024, 21:53   #712
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evyas View Post
I was under the impression it hasn’t been tested yet. Am still in the market for a car and I’ve been circling many but if Hector has a 5-star rating I’ll start considering it again (despite my bad experience booking it in the past)!
So, while the Hector itself hasn't been tested as of now, its Latin American counterpart the Chevrolet Captiva got 5-star ratings in LNCAP, further, I have read about accidents on multiple occasions with good outcomes. What's more, is that MG Astor has received a Gncap 5-star already so the hector is expected to be 5-star as well.

Here are some accident reports for your reference:-

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/96247309.cms

https://www.rushlane.com/mg-hector-h...-12476172.html

https://www.carblogindia.com/mg-hect...ers-walk-safe/

Sorry if that mislead you by mistake.

Last edited by BrakHorseBarhat : 4th April 2024 at 22:09. Reason: Correction
BrakHorseBarhat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th April 2024, 18:47   #713
BHPian

MG Hector Black storm edition to be launched soon.
https://twitter.com/MGMotorIn/status...316801371?s=19
Old 8th April 2024, 19:54   #714
BHPian

2022 MG Hector Diesel: 40000 kms update

In just about 1 year and 6 months my Hector has reached the 40000 kms mark. So far not faced any issues or niggles with the car and not observed any DPF issues either. The car is due for 5th service at 45000 kms. Otherwise the car is running fine and no vibrations or rattles observed. The NVH levels are excellent and sometimes when cruising at 80-90 in good roads, there is absolute silence in the cabin but for a faint engine grunt. The diesel remains a diesel only on the outside with a truck like sound. Inside the sound insulation is excellent.

The car has returned an average FE of 19.4 kmpl which is an excellent figure considering the size and weight of the car. Of late I have been using the Hector for only highway trips and getting consistent mileage of 20+ tank full to tank full.

MG Hector : Official Review-screenshot_2024040817165143_2b3f3c8d1fd5cd66f114c90effc5a955.jpg

MG Hector : Official Review-screenshot_2024040817171519_2b3f3c8d1fd5cd66f114c90effc5a955.jpg

The 60L tank gives an approximate range of 1000+ for my style of driving. As you can see below, after running 910 kms there is still a range left at 328 kms.

MG Hector : Official Review-img_20240408_100651.jpg

Overall the Hector provides a good value for money proposition with respect to features, space, premium feeling etc.
Sedate driver is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 16th April 2024, 12:09   #715
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedate driver View Post
The car has returned an average FE of 19.4 kmpl which is an excellent figure considering the size and weight of the car.
What model do you happen to have?
I am assuming that it is manual considering the high milage but it is rather surprising to see the stark difference in milage between our hectors.

My hector: Petrol Automatic(CVT) gives me an average of around 8 kmpl and while I understand that the difference in fuels, transmission, cities(less traffic) and drivers make a big difference but a difference of over 10 kmpl is astonishing.

Last edited by BrakHorseBarhat : 16th April 2024 at 12:23. Reason: correction
BrakHorseBarhat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th April 2024, 12:10   #716
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I am assuming that it is manual considering the high milage but it is rather surprising to see the stark difference in milage between our hectors.

My hector: Petrol Automatic(CVT) gives me an average of around 8 kmpl and while I understand that the difference in transmission, cities(less traffic) and drivers make a big difference but a difference of over 10 kmpl is astonishing.
Its a diesel.
My petrol hybrid manual gives me between 10-15 Kmpl city/highway.
mayankk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th April 2024, 12:21   #717
BHPian

Quote:

My hector: Petrol Automatic(CVT) gives me an average of around 8 kmpl and while I understand that the difference in transmission, cities(less traffic) and drivers make a big difference but a difference of over 10 kmpl is astonishing.
The model is Hector Sharp Diesel MT. Hector petrol CVT and Hector diesel manual cannot be compared with reference to mileage. Any diesel car will give better mileage than its corresponding petrol variants across all brands. Even smaller turbo petrol cars with DCT do not give good mileage when driven with a heavy foot.
Sedate driver is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks