Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd November 2019, 09:45   #46
BHPian

Re: MG Hector : Official Review

Guys, please continue your ramblings in this thread - MG alias SAIC fooling prospective buyers selling chinese car as british.

I would like to learn more about the actual car in here and not about China, iPhones or Redmi. Mods, please do note.

Last edited by jailbird_fynix : 2nd November 2019 at 09:49.
jailbird_fynix is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2019, 10:00   #47
Team-BHP Support

With BSVI kicking in I hope MG is looking at alteration that would be needed to happen to support the updated requirements (housing a urea tank for example). Also I hope that has been the part of the arrangement with FCA for the engines themselves.

Will be interesting to see how sales vary (or not!) under the this cloud of BSVI. But all said and done, amazing value product. People I guess now have a real competition to not just the SUVs but to the Innova too!

Long term reliability and sustenance, yes that needs to be seen. But, looks like these folks have come to stay and add to the party!

Last edited by ampere : 2nd November 2019 at 10:05.
Old 2nd November 2019, 10:12   #48
Senior - BHPian

Tata Motors will add that Urea tank to my 2017 Nexon (Car will be BS6). Cost is around 50K.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
With BSVI kicking in I hope MG is looking at alteration that would be needed to happen to support the updated requirements (housing a urea tank for example). Also I hope that has been the part of the arrangement with FCA for the engines themselves.
Sebring is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2019, 10:25   #49
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Harrier and Hector should receive the updated BS6 version from the Compass Trailhawk. But considering the price increase - all of them might delay the launch till the end of March.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
Tata Motors will add that Urea tank to my 2017 Nexon (Car will be BS6). Cost is around 50K.
But won't the car still be BS4 as per registration and papers?
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2019, 10:31   #50
Senior - BHPian

I think so, yes. But I wont let go of this car, and yet do my bit for the environment. Will be interesting add-on as well, to chronicle
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
But won't the car still be BS4 as per registration and papers?
Sebring is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2019, 14:55   #51
Senior - BHPian

Even though the imposition date of BS6 is nearing, MG is in no hurry to announce cutoff date for BS6 production. With thousands of fresh orders in phase 2, MG wouldn't want to scare people off and disrupt the momentum, which is evident from the fact that no matter which showroom in NCR I checked, none of them had the new pricelist. MG wanted to keep things low key w.r.t the new pricing so as to continue to look as a brilliant value proposition.

MG had claimed they had a backlog of 24000 bookings, this was after they said they had 8000 new bookings. Now that has gone up to 10,000. So 26000 odd bookings in all. So around 16000 bookings of June/ July still pending, majority DCT and Hybrid. It's safe to assume, not all the bookings will be met by March 2020 ( even if MG ramps up production to 4500 cars a month after the second shift stabilises, which is also a stage wise ramp up - different departments scale up differently. So around 3600 despatches in Oct. So maybe close to 4000 in November and taking it up closer to 4500 in Dec). So I'm sure a lot of people who booked now and get ready for the deliveries in April are going to have a price shocker.

MG is not going to absorb any more price hikes nor is it extending it's rewards points program beyond July bookings. So people who booked Sept onwards are already looking at a 50-70k hit. Post BS6, it'll be atleast a 70k-100k hike for the diesel variants, maybe half of that for petrol.
coolkurt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2019, 15:18   #52
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by jailbird_fynix View Post
Guys, please continue your ramblings in this thread - MG alias SAIC fooling prospective buyers selling chinese car as british.

I would like to learn more about the actual car in here and not about China, iPhones or Redmi. Mods, please do note.
Agreed .

Mod Note: Please discuss ONLY the Hector on this thread. Any future off-topic posts will be deleted.
GTO is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2019, 16:19   #53
Senior - BHPian

Here's a video showing how the Digital Studio experience will work:

The first car less showroom - MG Digital Studio has been opened in Bangalore. It looks like a pretty neat concept. And in the end, you do get to see they physical car by opting for a test drive.
coolkurt is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2019, 20:28   #54
BHPian

@Blackwasp : Amazingly detailed and thorough review. A treat to read and definitely shows your passion.Super stuff!!!
DASKD24 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2019, 21:44   #55
BHPian

I was speaking to a gentleman who got a hector dct sharp. 900 kms done now. He is happy with mileage 10kmpl!
One strange thing to report. By mistake someone pressed the support button in the car. It was promptly answered by mg call center. After due apologies, the call was disconnected. However, eversince the M2M sim stopped working. Gaana app unable to connect. He is taking it to the ASS tomorrow to get this checked.

Last edited by realactivex : 2nd November 2019 at 21:45. Reason: Auto correct typos for Gaana app. Displayed as Ghana app.
Old 2nd November 2019, 21:53   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sran View Post
I am not surprised that a Chinese vehicle has been so appreciated here knowing Indian car customers who purchased 1st gen Santro and Brio (hands down the ugliest car ever)[no offense to respective owners]. Chinese steel quality is doubtful and it is not controversial. I will not be surprised if we see a lot of stranded hectors. Several things downgrade steel - most notably is the actual chemistry. Each grade of steel has a specific set of elements in specific allowable amounts to be that grade - min X% carbon, A to B% silicon, maximum D% sulfur, etc. You then have non-metallic inclusions that can be present - often called slivers in the coil market. Silvers when present in exposed coils do not let the paint adhere to them causing the part to be defected. You also specify the allowable width, thickness, crown [thinner at the edge than the center], and cobble [undulations] in the coil.
'Sliver' as you have mentioned generally appear during hot rolling (HRC) process. These coils undergo several processes - pickling, annealing, cold rolling before being used as car bodies. It is highly unlikely that a sliver will go undetected through these processes.

'Cobble' is when the hot material gets stuck during the rolling process. You will not be seeing steel coils being produced after a cobble. The undulations are called 'edge waves' when the edges are thinner than the center and 'center buckle' when its vice versa.

Thanks for bringing the memories back. The last Hot Rolled Coil I produced was in 2005.

Regards,
Pinin
pinin is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2019, 23:35   #57
BHPian

Finally it is here!! Had been waiting ever so long for this review and it is just in time since my DCT Sharp is being delivered the coming weekend. Kudos to blackwasp and ajamat for putting together another fantastic TBHP Review.

Also, the review puts to rest some doubts I had in my mind about the Hector and the only things left to discover and experience now are the long term reliability and service standards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
I completed the descent, driving "normally" and it was perfectly fine, your obedient servant. It will satisfy 80% of typical car buyers needs.

Fit and finish was impressive for the price. Some niggles like.
A big +1 to this and I could not have expressed this better. Having driven the Fiat Linea T-Jet for the past 9 years, I was still surprised at how easy and quickly I got used to Hector even though I had realized right from the word go that the Hector car is not meant to be driven hard or is nowhere close to being an enthusiast's car.
Other than driving dynamics, it probably does everything else better and for me the added advantage is that my wife is raring to drive the Hector, unlike the Linea, which she loved as a car but never came close to being comfortable as a driver in, with the heavy steering, low and awkward driver position, not the most friendly and snappy gear-box and a gem of an engine but one that was always ready to leap out since she isn't used to driving a turbocharged car!
PGNarain is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2019, 08:53   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
This happened in my new Swift too. Once the reserve warning light came on the DTE displayed ---. This should be common behavior with other cars as well.
On the contrary, in my rapid when reserve fuel warning light comes, the MID display automatically switch to DTE
Old 3rd November 2019, 09:28   #59
BHPian

Amazing review with extensive details. Kudos !! This just can't better.

The review and further posts by fellow BHPians validated and clarified my observations, assumptions and experience about MG Hector. During last couple of weeks, I TDed a number of vehicles, including MG Hector. Some of them were TDed twice or thrice.

First impression of the Hector, wow wow and wow. Amazing space, the cabin looks very practical from every aspect, I especially liked the second row flat floor. The large panoramic sun-roof is extremely gorgeous and further increases the feel of large practical space. When I TDed, it was drizzling a bit, and the sunroof experience in rain of Hector was very beautiful. I found overall cabin quality to be very impressive - seats, upholstery, door panels and fascia are all nicely finished. I was sold on Hector then and there.

Another best thing that I like about MG is its remote powered trunk operations. Its so very convenient and practical.

I TDed MG Hector multiple times. First I tried the petrol. The engine cabin is so silent, I was simply amazed. However, I felt that engine is a bit sluggish, under-powered, lethargic and extremely unresponsive, especially when in bumper to bumper traffic situation or at signals. Kept me wondering, what will happen when Hector is fully loaded with passengers and luggage. One need to apply more throttle than usual with Hector petrol, no wonder why some people are getting a mileage of 6~7 Km/lt. Kind of a setback to me and dropped the plan to consider petrol version any further.

Then, I TDed the diesel version and that too twice. First impression, Hector has contained the NVH levels extremely well and engine felt way way better and powerful. However, I found the suspension a bit soggy especially on potholes and uneven road.

Second time I asked my friend to TD the vehicle and he steered Hector a bit aggressively. Felt a lot of body roll and as per my friend Hector lacks driving feel and is not holding firmly on road. Remember Toyota Qualis, it just reminded me of that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by charanreddy View Post
When I first saw the ads with Benedict I rolled my eyes over thinking here is one more Chinese company trying to hoodwink us with a brand name change and getting an A List British actor to drive perception of a Chinese product.

I heard from my colleague who worked in China that the Chinese are not necessarily cheap , but they can manufacture a product in any given price and You get what you pay for.
In fact, it would be extremely wrong to label Hector as a Chinese product. MG Hector may be termed as American car? Why, because its nothing but latest Chevrolet Captiva that has been launched worldwide in 2019. In that case, it could even be a Korean brand, as Captiva was first owned by Daewoo. At best we can say, its an American car developed by Chinese.

MG Hector : Official Review-chevy-captiva.jpg

MG Hector : Official Review-allnewchevroletcaptivapremierlt_ext.runningmountains_small.jpg

As GM has already exited India, question was how it should enter again and make a comeback? Create a new brand and a new image without any legacy implication. And leverage all the assets of GM, including its old manufacturing plant. I think MG is here to stay for long, given its GM backing. We shouldn't be too concerned as Hector launch in India is just part of overall global launch of Chevrolet Captiva, albeit in a re-badge form. So, no one is going to be hoodwinked. For sure, its not a British car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharktale View Post
This car is an interesting blend of funk over function, and a lesson for me on how important research and marketing can be for a product.
Quote:
Originally Posted by distiller View Post
IMHO MG has done a great job in terms of studying the Indian customer mindset, heart set & pocket depth and exactly designed a product which fulfils the aspirations.
Quote:
Originally Posted by venkyhere View Post
This car is a perfect example of why extensive and exhaustive market research is the cornerstone of a successful product. No wonder the booking numbers are through the roof.
Indeed, absolutely true. They have done extensive research and have read the aspirations of Indian customers very well. There studies, for sure would have shown that Indian customers like to have nice design, spacious interior, digital tech and value-for-money factor. Moreover, the studies would have also shown that for majority first priority is not performance and ride quality. I think, MG has hit the sweet-spot extremely well.

In fact, Hector's launch could be a perfect case-study to be taught in B-schools. Four brands and a well synchronized global launch. From superb entry strategy by GM, branding to market research and excellent execution of the strategy. Full marks to GM on pulling this so well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sran View Post
Drove it the very next day after my friend got delivery and was thoroughly unimpressed. It's not a SUV. It can be clubbed with MUV vehicles like Marazzo, Innova.
Very true, Hector shouldn't be even compared with Compass or such SUVs. How can a 2WD with small tyres be termed as SUV. It's a MPV at best. It's main competition is going to be Innova. Innova should be really worried. Captiva worldwide has been launched in 7 seats too. Lets see how soon GM launched the 7 seat Hector in India, for sure it would be a blood-bath then.

MG Hector : Official Review-chevrolet_captiva_interior_4.jpg

MG Hector : Official Review-chevrolet_captiva_interior_12.jpg

Clearly, in times to come a 7 seater Hector would be a favorite of tour/taxi operators. Question is, will it out space Innova and how fast? I feel prospective Innova customers should wait for the launch of 7 seater Hector.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharktale View Post
The car has all the bells and whistles to attract the mainstream consumers, who want a point A to B vehicle having the highest bling per rupee.

Hector will seem a good buy for people who buy the car based on specs rather than their own hands-on experience.
Above really sums up very well. Hector is more about moving a family around in comfort without really providing a good driving experience. Its only good to sit in rather decent to drive.

So is it MG or GM

Last edited by gutsy : 3rd November 2019 at 09:54. Reason: GM or MG
gutsy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2019, 09:36   #60
BHPian

I speak as a customer who passed over Hector to buy a similarly priced competitor vehicle. So why did I pass over the Hector?

IMHO I saw the car as lacking in a few critical areas -
1. The suspension was poor in my opinion. The benchmark for me was Scross and Terrano which i currently own.
2. Except the engine/gearbox combination, the rest of the car was unproven. I thought the clutch was heavy to use.
3. While the interior looked great in first look, the underthigh support and seat bolstering seemed off to me personally.
4. We went for test drive on bright sunny day at exactly noon. The sunroof let in a lot of light and heat even when closed. My parents and son who was in the back seat was not impressed
5. The proportions were off in terms of looks.
6. SIAC was an unknown Chinese car maker. So no real track record of longer term support.

To be honest, I did think the car would do great because of the bling and the overall car real estate but we felt it was overpriced.
vishnurp99 is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks