BANNED

Re: MG Hector : Official Review

MG Hector mobile showroom launched – To reach new customers
wheelguy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st November 2019, 14:29   #122
Senior - BHPian

Hector Prices to be hiked from 20th November 2019

Apparently, MG has taken the decision to hike prices of all variants delivered post 20th November 2019, irrespective of whether the booking was done in Phase I or Phase II. The price hike is in the range of 2.5-3%.

If it's true, a pretty haphazard move by MG. Not ethical and certainly not confidence inspiring. All those who had booked in Phase I, despite being told that they'll be insulated from the price hike, will now have to pay the increased prices. This will certainly lead to a spate of cancellations.

All those who booked in Phase 2 were anyway paying the increased prices so they will be unaffected.

Update:

It seems dealers have been told to give customers an option of either buying accessories for the hiked amount or pay up. So basically, you're either straddled with accessories you may or may not want and are being forced to buy, or cough up the premium. Not going to win them any brownie points.

Source: MG Hector Club on Facebook
Attached Thumbnails
MG Hector : Official Review-fb_img_1574326482658.jpg  

Last edited by coolkurt : 21st November 2019 at 14:36. Reason: Added info
coolkurt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2019, 14:56   #123
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolkurt View Post
Hector Prices to be hiked from 20th November 2019

Apparently, MG has taken the decision to hike prices of all variants delivered post 20th November 2019, irrespective of whether the booking was done in Phase I or Phase II. The price hike is in the range of 2.5-3%.

If it's true, a pretty haphazard move by MG. Not ethical and certainly not confidence inspiring. All those who had booked in Phase I, despite being told that they'll be insulated from the price hike, will now have to pay the increased prices. This will certainly lead to a spate of cancellations.

Update:

It seems dealers have been told to give customers an option of either buying accessories for the hiked amount or pay up. So basically, you're either straddled with accessories you may or may not want and are being forced to buy, or cough up the premium. Not going to win them any brownie points.
I wonder what was the reason behind the price hike? Secondly, it would be interesting to see just how many cancellations they get. My gut feeling would be that not many would cancel given what the car offers for the price and considering the competition is not that much better. Where would those cancelled bookings go instead?

The tone of that message screenshot posted seems a little weird. "Thanks for your love and affection, now pay us extra money or no car for you!" What do you say?
Old 21st November 2019, 15:36   #124
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhilthegunner View Post
I wonder what was the reason behind the price hike? Secondly, it would be interesting to see just how many cancellations they get. My gut feeling would be that not many would cancel given what the car offers for the price and considering the competition is not that much better. Where would those cancelled bookings go instead?

The tone of that message screenshot posted seems a little weird. "Thanks for your love and affection, now pay us extra money or no car for you!" What do you say?
This isn't another price hike. The prices were hiked in October itself, during initiation of Phase 2 bookings.

However, MG had promised that Phase I bookings were insulated from the Price Hike. Which is however not going to be the case from Nov 20, 2019.

Out of the 28000 bookings they had in Phase I, 6000 have already cancelled due to excessive delay in delivery.
I'm sure a lot more cancellations are around the corner due to the price hike. Diesel top end is close to 50k more expensive which is not a small amount by any means.

MG is being greedy here. They've delivered 11000 cars so around 11000 remain to be delivered ( Phase I). So they know even if 2000 odd cars are cancelled, they'll still be adding around Rs 30 crores more to their kitty. Unethical. Will definitely give them bad publicity.

Mind you, these buyers are already sitting on Rs 15/16000 worth of accessories owing to the points. Forcing them to buy a further Rs 40,000 worth of accessories is fleecing.
coolkurt is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st November 2019, 16:15   #125
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhilthegunner View Post
Where would those cancelled bookings go instead?
Seltos on one end of the size spectrum & XUV500 on the other. I think they are already going. We have BHPians who have cancelled the Hector and picked up the Seltos already.

The agonizing wait + the significant price hike will make waiting customers bitter. That can very much work to start liking the 2 cars I mentioned. One is not doing such price tricks yet & the other is available with good discounts!
Old 21st November 2019, 18:14   #126
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
Seltos on one end of the size spectrum & XUV500 on the other. I think they are already going. We have BHPians who have cancelled the Hector and picked up the Seltos already.

The agonizing wait + the significant price hike will make waiting customers bitter. That can very much work to start liking the 2 cars I mentioned. One is not doing such price tricks yet & the other is available with good discounts!
Also Harrier Automatic is on the horizon for launch in the next 2-3 months. I am sure Hector has many DCT bookings just because Harrier does not have an automatic yet.
Old 21st November 2019, 18:17   #127
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkv_hunter View Post
Also Harrier Automatic is on the horizon for launch in the next 2-3 months. I am sure Hector has many DCT bookings just because Harrier does not have an automatic yet.
Possible. But petrol DCT automatic buyers switching directly to a diesel torque converter?

Will be interesting to see indeed.
Old 21st November 2019, 18:32   #128
BHPian

Quote:
Possible. But petrol DCT automatic buyers switching directly to a diesel torque converter?

Will be interesting to see indeed.
Most DCT bookings would be from people looking at comfort rather than performance as Hector DCT is pretty average on performance. The Harrier TC could be a much better performer also given the better engine. Hyundai TCs are decent in terms of performance (Tucson). The diesel will be fuel efficient compared to the DCT Hector. So if Tata comes up with upgraded features like sunroof etc along with the auto in BS6, I dont see a reason how Hector could score higher other than looks which is a personal choice.
rkv_hunter is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st November 2019, 18:44   #129
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Most DCT bookings would be from people looking at comfort rather than performance as Hector DCT is pretty average on performance. The Harrier TC could be a much better performer also given the better engine. Hyundai TCs are decent in terms of performance (Tucson). The diesel will be fuel efficient compared to the DCT Hector. So if Tata comes up with upgraded features like sunroof etc along with the auto in BS6, I dont see a reason how Hector could score higher other than looks which is a personal choice.
Of course. I meant people now have an inclination towards petrol. So switching to diesel in itself would be a big step for them. Not at all alking about the Harrier's features or capabilities.
Old 21st November 2019, 18:57   #130
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Of course. I meant people now have an inclination towards petrol. So switching to diesel in itself would be a big step for them. Not at all alking about the Harrier's features or capabilities.
But there is a difference here. They would be going from an unknown Petrol Engine to a well known Fiat Sourced Diesel Engine - so I am sure there will be takers. I think Hector should also try to bring a Diesel AT soon - that engine with the Fiat Lineage will sell well. People trust Fiat engines.

Last edited by vsrivatsa : 21st November 2019 at 18:59.
vsrivatsa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2019, 07:02   #131
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsrivatsa View Post
But there is a difference here. They would be going from an unknown Petrol Engine to a well known Fiat Sourced Diesel Engine - so I am sure there will be takers. I think Hector should also try to bring a Diesel AT soon - that engine with the Fiat Lineage will sell well. People trust Fiat engines.
That seems highly unlikely that people are deciding on the basis of engine, and answer lies below:

Quote:
Most DCT bookings would be from people looking at comfort rather than performance as Hector DCT is pretty average on performance.
Yes, mass majority of people prefer bling, feature comfort and a feel of big MPV over performance, drive and ride quality. Petrol Hector is adequately under-powered and sluggish, while the diesel Hector is way too noisy and harsh if compared to Diesel Compass and Harrier. Moreover, the diesel transmission too is notchy. Yet, mass majority of flocking for Hector as it offers VFM in terms of maximum bling per rupee spent.

Last edited by gutsy : 22nd November 2019 at 07:03.
gutsy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2019, 08:20   #132
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gutsy View Post
Yes, mass majority of people prefer bling, feature comfort and a feel of big MPV over performance, drive and ride quality. Petrol Hector is adequately under-powered and sluggish, while the diesel Hector is way too noisy and harsh if compared to Diesel Compass and Harrier. Moreover, the diesel transmission too is notchy. Yet, mass majority of flocking for Hector as it offers VFM in terms of maximum bling per rupee spent.
Interesting. One thing I find surprising is that how our mileage conscious folks are able to manage with 5-6 kpl on the DCT. Is that a conscious decision or they are jumping in assuming 10-11 kpl is something I wonder.
vsrivatsa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2019, 09:10   #133
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Interesting. One thing I find surprising is that how our mileage conscious folks are able to manage with 5-6 kpl on the DCT.
If you're buying a Rs 20 lakh SUV, mileage should be the least of your concerns. And expecting a good mileage from a heavy petrol SUV is wishful thinking. 8-10 Kmpl is what the DCT offers, and a similarly priced sedan would offer the same in the city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gutsy View Post
That seems highly unlikely that people are deciding on the basis of engine, and answer lies below:
Yet, mass majority of flocking for Hector as it offers VFM in terms of maximum bling per rupee spent.
An enthusiast like me was impressed with the Hector. It has its flaws for sure, but it offers so much more. I was very close to finalizing the Compass, before the Hector came along. A pretty able family car, that's where lies it's appeal. GTO himself enjoyed cruising on the highway with his family.

Contrary to what we believe, the masses are pretty well informed and the engine does figure in the buyers' checklist when finalizing on a car. Fiat powertrains are known and reliable. Which was probably the reason I too was fine with going for a new brand like MG.
coolkurt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2019, 11:26   #134
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolkurt View Post
If you're buying a Rs 20 lakh SUV, mileage should be the least of your concerns. And expecting a good mileage from a heavy petrol SUV is wishful thinking. 8-10 Kmpl is what the DCT offers, and a similarly priced sedan would offer the same in the city.
8-10 kpl maybe average. City driving conditions in a metro would be 5-6 kpl. In fact BHPian AGWagon did a very detailed tankful drive in Bumper to Bumper traffic on his typical office route and the measured mileage was 4.38 kpl on the Hector Petrol DCT.

I always keep the topic of one time purchase cost vs recurring cost different and so for me a Petrol DCT in that size is a no-no.

In any case, I was reading an AutoCarIndia article and saw that the Petrol to Diesel ratio on the Seltos is 49 : 51. So I guess there are more people like me around For reference: Autocar Article. Does anyone have the ratio for Hector?
Old 22nd November 2019, 11:50   #135
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
8-10 kpl maybe average. City driving conditions in a metro would be 5-6 kpl. In fact BHPian AGWagon did a very detailed tankful drive in Bumper to Bumper traffic on his typical office route and the measured mileage was 4.38 kpl on the Hector Petrol DCT.
I'm curious to know what that engine is doing with all that petrol

I agree petrol + DCT is not expected to return this low fuel mileage.
Kosfactor is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks