Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 22nd November 2019, 11:51   #136
Senior - BHPian

Re: MG Hector : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsrivatsa View Post
8-10 kpl maybe average. City driving conditions in a metro would be 5-6 kpl.
Does anyone have the ratio for Hector?
That seems a bit less. Two people I know who have the DCT report a mileage of 7 and 9 respectively. Tankful to tankful. The former is Delhi to gurgaon and return routine. MG road. Peak hour traffic. Althoughh the latter has a part of his daily drive going through a ridge road with sparse traffic.

With the DCT, care has to be taken to drive with a light foot to extract the maximum mileage.

Hector bookings was 55:45 in favour of Petrol. In September, a dealership in Delhi despatched 70 cars out of which 45 were the DCT.
coolkurt is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2019, 12:00   #137
BHPian

A neighbour of mine has a Hector DCT. He is pretty happy with his purchase. On a light foot, he gets 10+.
It eventually boils down to our driving style and the idle time in bumper to bumper traffic
realactivex is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2019, 12:12   #138
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
I'm curious to know what that engine is doing with all that petrol
In Petrols FE reduces a lot in Idling when compared to Diesel and even more on an automatic. I think the figures are inline.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolkurt View Post
That seems a bit less. Two people I know who have the DCT report a mileage of 7 and 9 respectively.
7 kpl maybe achievable. The problem with city traffic driving is that it is very relative and varies a lot. So comparisons are difficult.

Quote:
Originally Posted by realactivex View Post
It eventually boils down to our driving style and the idle time in bumper to bumper traffic
True, but I am sure he does not drive on the Outer Ring Road or the Silk Board circuit of Bangalore. Those routes I think getting two digits is not possible even on an i10 Automatic.

Here is the original thread I referred to regarding the Hector Mileage Test: > (MG India's first SUV named Hector. Edit: Launched @ 12.18L)

And add to all this, Hector starts the FE Meter at 13 kpl so that FE impact on the Owners is kind of reduced at least on the display!

Last edited by vsrivatsa : 22nd November 2019 at 12:15.
vsrivatsa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2019, 14:33   #139
Senior - BHPian

It's certainly not going to be fuel efficient by any standards. The diesel on the other hand reports excellent efficiency figures, highway reports are even higher than the ARAI certified numbers, even if you factor in MID errors.

The only strange thing that I'm wary of is the clutch action on the diesel and premature burnout. MG itself recommends not driving in the second gear at very low speeds, and instead slotting it in the first. Hopefully it's only limited to people who ride the clutch in bumper to bumper traffic.
Old 22nd November 2019, 20:16   #140
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
I'm curious to know what that engine is doing with all that petrol

I agree petrol + DCT is not expected to return this low fuel mileage.
I am not a technical person, but this is what I felt why the Hector may be less efficient than comparable DCTs after 3 test drives. Because if you drive with a heavy foot there are many instances of no-power rpm surges. The car being is heavy and the engine has low power in the low rpm range. Hence what I felt is that there is a delay in slotting a gear if you floor the paddle, the rpm flies to 4-5k without a corresponding power surge. It feels like you have floored the pedal in neutral and the engine sounds like an unloaded mixer grinder (Yes, it does). If you try to drive with a light foot the rpm and power increases linearly and there is less rpm wastage. Hence I feel that with a light foot the car performance is much better with good mileage.

Having said that, I have read in Creta AT review that people are getting 6-7 kmpl in cities. Although it is a torque converter, if Creta is at 6-7, in a similar situation Hector would be 5-6.

Last edited by rkv_hunter : 22nd November 2019 at 20:17. Reason: Added one sentence
rkv_hunter is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2019, 14:01   #141
Senior - BHPian

Apparently, faced with a lot of backlash from it's move to charge the increased price for Phase I bookings for deliveries post 20th Nov, MG has now given an option for people to go for the MG Shield packages for the price difference.

However, this is nothing new as MG had always allowed the points to be redeemed towards the maintainence packages. And what if a buyer does not want to buy any Shield package?

What yesterday's move has done is led to a spate of cancellations and dented the brand's image. It's still a fantastic value for money buy but the move is unethical.

MG figured it very well can't deliver all the bookings before BS6 and it'll anyway earn more margins on Phase 2 bookings so this move will prune the waitlist further.
coolkurt is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th November 2019, 00:12   #142
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brishti View Post
Friend had booked STYLE Diesel on 23rd July and he was given a written quote as 13.18Lac but now when the car has come to the dealer and they are asking for 13.48Lac. Is there anything we can do about this?

Secondly isn't this a long waiting period "July to Nov"?
I reported this on 17th Nov and it does seem the dealer knew what was coming on 20th Nov. After showing the MG Promise to the dealer on 19th he told us to come next day and showed us the 20th Nov announcement
Old 25th November 2019, 00:26   #143
BHPian

Some inputs for the dct mileage discussion.

I own a dct sharp since past 2 months. Ive completed 3k kms in it, 90% in delhi ncr city traffic.

I commute from noida to Faridabad daily and back ~ 45kms.

I'm consistently getting >11kmpl since past 3 tankfulls.

I'm very surprised by the mileage. Im mostly a very sedate driver and the route is also 50% highway/expressway whre i activate cruise control and 30% medium traffic and 20% heavy b2b traffic.

When I commute from West Delhi to Faridabad and back (80kms) my mileage drops to 9.x kmpl. Even that is amazing since in this route it's 20% highway, 40% medium traffic and 40% heavy traffic.

My i20 petrol gave around 15kmpl and 13.x kmpl in above 2 conditions so I'm very happy.
dhruvwali is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th November 2019, 08:57   #144
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brishti View Post
I reported this on 17th Nov and it does seem the dealer knew what was coming on 20th Nov
Well, post the backlash, the ticker on MG's website has now been updated:

Quote:
We will honour price protection for bookings made before 25th Sept. as benefit equivalent to the price increase. The same can be redeemed at your respective MG dealership.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhruvwali View Post
Those are pretty encouraging figures, especially since I know the traffic at the above mentioned routes. It'll be interesting to see what the figure will be on a pure highway run.

Last edited by coolkurt : 25th November 2019 at 09:08.
Old 25th November 2019, 15:33   #145
BHPian

Quote:

To support my recent claimed mileage figures. Attaching screenshots from my ismart drive app. In none of these cases my avg mileage dropped below 10kmpl.

I've stopped worrying about my mileage since past 2 tankfulls and have just started enjoying the drive
Attached Thumbnails
MG Hector : Official Review-screenshot_20191125151521.jpg  

MG Hector : Official Review-screenshot_20191125151525.jpg  

MG Hector : Official Review-screenshot_20191125151528.jpg  

MG Hector : Official Review-screenshot_20191125151533.jpg  

MG Hector : Official Review-screenshot_20191125151540.jpg  

MG Hector : Official Review-screenshot_20191125151546.jpg  

dhruvwali is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th November 2019, 13:28   #146
Senior - BHPian

For all those who booked in Phase I, the accumulated points will freeze on 31 Dec 2019 and no further points will be awarded. You can avail the points post dec as well.

Also, MG is providing price protection only till 31st Dec. New prices will apply from Jan 1.
coolkurt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2019, 14:40   #147
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
To support my recent claimed mileage figures. Attaching screenshots from my ismart drive app.
These are not useful but the fact that you did tankful measurement is very helpful. Hector MID for Mileage is configured to start at 13 kpl so its not a fair game as far as the Display on the MID is concerned. The reading can be off by more than 3 kpl on the display as observed by many folks.

Not just MG, even Tata Nexon users have also reported the MID being off by more than 3 kpl regularly - so it seems to be the trend across many car manufacturers.
Old 28th November 2019, 14:58   #148
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsrivatsa View Post
These are not useful but the fact that you did tankful measurement is very helpful. Hector MID for Mileage is configured to start at 13 kpl so its not a fair game as far as the Display on the MID is concerned. The reading can be off by more than 3 kpl on the display as observed by many folks.

Not just MG, even Tata Nexon users have also reported the MID being off by more than 3 kpl regularly - so it seems to be the trend across many car manufacturers.
- If you see this tells the number of litres used per 100km for my drive. It has nothing to do with the base kmpl set at 13kmpl

- Also these were somewhere aroudn the mid tank fuel mark

- Additionally during tankful-tankful (around ~600kms travelled per tankful) I see very little variance between MID mileage and that calculated via tankful method. Barely 0.3 kmpl in each test I've done.
dhruvwali is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th November 2019, 15:17   #149
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Additionally during tankful-tankful (around ~600kms travelled per tankful) I see very little variance between MID mileage and that calculated via tankful method. Barely 0.3 kmpl in each test I've done.
Kudos to MG if they have got it right. Rarely any car gets that close. We've come to assume there is always around 2-3kmpl error (+ve) in the MID mileage. Great if MG did it better.
Reinhard is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2019, 17:05   #150
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolkurt View Post
For all those who booked in Phase I, the accumulated points will freeze on 31 Dec 2019 and no further points will be awarded. You can avail the points post dec as well.

Also, MG is providing price protection only till 31st Dec. New prices will apply from Jan 1.
This is not a bad move as I expect most phase 1 bookers to get delivery by Dec end. Already many people who booked in July have got delivery. Also MG does not want to offer benefits to people who may try to delay the purchase by 15-20 days because they want to register the car in the new year.

Most Viewed