Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 15th December 2019, 12:43   #196
BHPian

Re: MG Hector : Official Review

Spoke to the SA here checking for the update of my car delivery, which I had booked late sept.
His response:
1. MG plant has a shutdown between 21 dec to 15 th Jan next year, and hence no deliveries during this period.(came a shock especially considering that mg has a backlog)
2. Wta for Sept deliveries is around Feb or March
3. Most bookings in black colour and hence longer lead times.(this I don't understand).
4. Off topic: This guy is a new SA. The earlier one quit because the dealership didn't pay him incentives (or so I heard). If MG dealers do t pay their SAs fair, there will be more attrition, not good for the relationship with end customer
realactivex is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th December 2019, 12:45   #197
Senior - BHPian

Hello Friends,

I had a chance to have a good look at the Hector, as MG Guys had put up a temporary stall in our office.

There was no rush, and I got some time to inspect the car inside out leisurely.

Some observations from my side:

Positives:
- Huge Mammoth Body, translates to huge space on the inside & boot.
- Good sound quality for the ICE System.
- Loads of snazzy features like auto-closing tail gate, 360 camera etc.
- Heavy gauge metal for the outer body panels.
- Proactive & Enthusiastic Sales Staff.

Negatives:
- Fit & Finish is not good. Few examples:
  • The panels stuck on the bottom of the door were misaligned.
  • The window glass and it's frame vibrate badly when closed, with the window even slightly open.
  • The panel for adjusting the passenger seat up/down had come loose.
- No under-engine protection at all for a 20 Lakh SUV. This is a glaring omission.
- Tyres looks puny due to low profile, and huge body.
- Seats on the front are narrow and have low underthigh support.
- The floor of the car is high and the seats are low. So, sitting posture is not optimal at the back. Underthigh support is not good either.
- Seat upholstery quality is not premium.
abhishek46 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th December 2019, 07:23   #198
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by realactivex View Post
Spoke to the SA here checking for the update of my car delivery, which I had booked late sept.
His response:
1. MG plant has a shutdown between 21 dec to 15 th Jan next year, and hence no deliveries during this period.(came a shock especially considering that mg has a backlog)
2. Wta for Sept deliveries is around Feb or March
3. Most bookings in black colour and hence longer lead times.(this I don't understand).
4. Off topic: This guy is a new SA. The earlier one quit because the dealership didn't pay him incentives (or so I heard). If MG dealers do t pay their SAs fair, there will be more attrition, not good for the relationship with end customer
1. There is no plant shutdown of any sorts. MG and Kia certainly can't afford anything on those lines, considering the demand.
2. It depends on the city. September deliveries have already started in Delhi. I booked my Hector in Sept and I'm getting the delivery this week.

There are a lot of factors for that. Firstly, Delhi has a lesser wait time than most other cities. I know buyers from other states who are booking in NCR, taking delivery and then registering the car in their state.

Secondly, Phase 1 bookings would have been completed by December and Phase 2 should have started from Jan but a lot of Phase 1 buyers postponed their deliveries to Jan / Feb as people preferred to have 2020 registration.
I don't sell my cars within 5 years so I don't get bothered by the Dec/ Jan debate. Hence, Phase 2 buyers who are willing to take delivery in December have already started getting deliveries in NCR.

3. Maximum demand is for White and Glaze Red. Highest demand is for the top model - Sharp. Which is probably why MG isn't increasing production levels to the maximum as they're earning a fat margin.

4. I don't know about this so wouldn't like to comment. Might be specific to your dealership. However, what I do know is that there has been a lot of attrition as quite a few Service Advisors I met at NCR showrooms have moved to Tata. The service quality at MG was excellent so maybe Tata want to take a leaf out of their book. The new advisors I've been interacting for the past couple of months are equally well trained. The experience remains top notch.

Last edited by coolkurt : 18th December 2019 at 07:25.
coolkurt is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th December 2019, 12:18   #199
BHPian

Is there any hint of MG launching a Diesel AT version? The only reason why I'm holding off on buying the MG is the lack of a D-AT version
Old 19th December 2019, 13:55   #200
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by qaqa View Post
Is there any hint of MG launching a Diesel AT version? The only reason why I'm holding off on buying the MG is the lack of a D-AT version
Around 55-60% of the demand is for the petrol and mainly the DCT. I'm sure a Diesel Auto is in the works and the arrival of the same on the Harrier will force MG to hasten the process as they would want to keep the momentum going.

The showroom from where I booked is still seeing a steady 8-10 bookings per day so that's a good sign that they're still drawing significant customer interest.
coolkurt is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2019, 22:25   #201
BANNED

An owner well versed with the car's voice commands gives a demo of the feature:

Last edited by wheelguy : 23rd December 2019 at 22:30.
wheelguy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th December 2019, 09:59   #202
Senior - BHPian

The new TVC - Christmas Special

Also, I finally took the delivery of my Hector Diesel Sharp. Will be sharing photos and the delivery experience shortly.

Need to get a gear lock installed as well. Trust the traditional security measures more than the technological protection that we get nowadays.
coolkurt is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th December 2019, 20:31   #203
Team-BHP Support

Is it me or is it that I have never seen a base or lower version of the Hector?
ajmat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th December 2019, 20:55   #204
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Lol!! Same here. I too have seen the Hector majorly in just the top 2 trims.
ashvek3141 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th December 2019, 20:58   #205
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolkurt View Post

Also, I finally took the delivery of my Hector Diesel Sharp. Will be sharing photos and the delivery experience shortly.

Need to get a gear lock installed as well. Trust the traditional security measures more than the technological protection that we get nowadays.
Congratulations! Excellent start to a new year ahead.

On the lock set-up, You can buy a heavy duty chain and lock set-up for under INR 700, works a treat , you can lock the steering wheel, garage door or the wheels themselves

It should work as a good deterrent against theft. I use a similar setup in my vehicle where cabin cannot be locked.
Kosfactor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 26th December 2019, 22:43   #206
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post

On the lock set-up, You can buy a heavy duty chain and lock set-up for under INR 700, works a treat
Thank you! Will share more details and the initial experience soon.

That is a nifty solution. But it's a bit cumbersome as my work involves traveling to far flung construction sites etc and it'll be difficult to chain it every time I get off.

I found out that fitting a gear lock on the hector isn't possible. The guy is suggesting something called a clutch lock. It just locks the pedal in place and doesn't let it get depressed. Might look into that.

Quote:
The top variant - Sharp, sells the highest, followed by the next variant. The infotainment and the sunroof are a major draw. The Delhi NCR share is still skewed in favour of the DCT, a whopping 70% of the dispatches.

Last edited by Sheel : 27th December 2019 at 08:06. Reason: despatch = dispatch.
coolkurt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th December 2019, 23:18   #207
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Here you go, walkaround videos of base variants of Hector.

Hector Style

Hector Super
CarguyNish is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 27th December 2019, 08:02   #208
BHPian

There is a video with the car smoking. Ironically the owner is defending the brand and urging for the video to be removed in youtube comments.
ashishy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th December 2019, 11:02   #209
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashishy View Post
There is a video with the car smoking. Ironically the owner is defending the brand and urging for the video to be removed in Youtube comments.
The comments are rather amusing. It almost feels like MG has a group of people hired to comment the typical PR thing on any or everything against the car.
I've even pointed it out earlier in the thread with screenshots about the clear involvement of independent PR agencies in various Facebook groups related to Hector (MG HECTOR CLUB, MG HECTOR OWNER'S CLUB).
This leaves a bad taste about the brand. No hate though.

Last edited by ampere : 21st January 2020 at 07:37. Reason: compacted quoted post
omranga98 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 1st January 2020, 11:48   #210
BANNED

MG Hector sells 3,021 units in December 2019.

Cumulatively, the automaker has sold 15,930 units of the SUV since July 2019.

ET Auto
wheelguy is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed