Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 1st January 2020, 13:47   #211
Senior - BHPian

Re: MG Hector : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelguy View Post
MG Hector sells 3,021 units in December 2019.
A clear case of people putting off deliveries to January. I took delivery of my Hector in December and that was possible because a lot of the dealership's customers put off taking the delivery till Jan for the sake of 2020 registration.
Old 2nd January 2020, 09:19   #212
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolkurt View Post
A clear case of people putting off deliveries to January. I took delivery of my Hector in December and that was possible because a lot of the dealership's customers put off taking the delivery till Jan for the sake of 2020 registration.
Frankly, this will make zero difference when it comes to resale (assuming that the goal of January registration was for better resale value). I recently learnt this myself, when I sold my January 2012 registered (but December 2011 manufactured) Swift. None of the used car dealerships evaluating my car gave any additional benefits because of the 2012 registration. In fact, they were all quite clear that what mattered was the year of manufacture and not registration.
arindambasu13 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2020, 10:10   #213
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindambasu13 View Post
Frankly, this will make zero difference when it comes to resale (assuming that the goal of January registration was for better resale value).
It used to be an advantage when you're selling to an individual. But not anymore as the average buyer is pretty smart now. I just sold my car and the buyer calculated the years/ months left ( for 15 years to be complete) rather than just going by the year of registration. Dealers anyway don't care.

As it is, you'll only get a 2020 manufactured vehicle post 22-23rd Jan.

I took delivery of my Diesel Hector in Dec itself, just in case MG decides to pull back on Diesel production to prepare for BS6. As it is, I keep my cars for 8-9 years, so resale isn't something I worry about.
coolkurt is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th January 2020, 08:16   #214
Distinguished - BHPian

MG Hector disrupts the MID -SUV segment, emerges victorious for the second half of 2019. Jeep Compass loses big time.

Petrol SUV's are gaining sales as MG sells 42.20 per cent in petrol, 47.5 per cent are diesel and only 10.29 per cent is hybrid.

Name:  h.PNG
Views: 6496
Size:  21.5 KB

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 6th January 2020 at 08:18.
volkman10 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th January 2020, 16:08   #215
Distinguished - BHPian

TATA Motors take a dig at new entrants:

Name:  11.PNG
Views: 5900
Size:  39.4 KB
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th January 2020, 07:48   #216
Senior - BHPian

Diesel: Sharp - 1000+ KM Update

MG Hector : Official Review-img_20200102_141310__01.jpg
- Gem of an engine. MG has done a good job with it's tuning. Power delivery is linear, don't get the surge when the turbo kicks in like on my 1.3 Diesel S Cross.

- The voice commands are really worth the hype. Some are gimmicky but I'm using a few of them on a daily basis.

- The steering does weigh up as you build speed. You can notice the change at around 80 KMPH and again when you cross 120 KMPH

- The bottom bit of the doors, which cover the running board, gets dirt on the insides. You'll have to specifically point it out to your car cleaner to clean up that area.

- The auto headlamps work well. The rain sensing wipers are a hit and miss. They just don't activate at times.

- There is a big difference in the touchscreen fluidity from when I saw the car in July to the one on my car after the update. The lag is almost negligible. Where the lag persists - 360 camera and TomTom.

- If you're on a call, the touchscreen freezes. You can't use any of it's functions until you end the call. Hope they fix this in later updates.

- The 'MG iSmart app ' on my phone is handy. It's accurate, helps me find the car in a parking lot, and let's me monitor things like the tyre pressure sitting at home. The other remote control features are handy as well, especially lock/unlock.

- The other app which is seldom talked about is 'My MG'. It tells you about your car, maintainence package details are all onboard, reminds you about your next service, let's you book a service appointment etc. Pretty handy.
MG Hector : Official Review-img_20200102_141345.jpg
- The fuel pump is louder than usual. You don't really hear it over the diesel clatter except at idle. Sound barely seeps into the cabin though. It's not a bother. I enquired about it during the first service and they said the diesel had one that was a tad bit loud.
MG Hector : Official Review-img_20200108_152443.jpg
MG Hector : Official Review-img_20200109_133516.jpg
- The fuel economy shown on the MID is a bit off. It's giving me varying figures of 16 - 20 kmpl which is just too wide a band. I've got the software updated during the service so hopefully it should fix that. Real world mileage ( tankful to tankful) has been 15.8 kmpl which is almost twice of what I am used to, so no complaints
MG Hector : Official Review-img_20200102_141455__01.jpg
- The ride is very comfortable at city speeds. Haven't taken it for a highway run yet ( not counting frequent runs on the Gurgaon Faridabad expressway). The only gripe I have is that the car gets wobbly over speed breakers. I'd hate to imagine running over a speed breaker at highway speeds.

- There were cars at the service station with 20K KMS on the odo. Mostly DCT variants. Around 60% of the sales in NCR is of the DCT. I'd liked if they had a diesel AT option as well.

The after sales service has been excellent. I got calls after delivery enquiring about the delivery experience. They sent two advisors to my office a few days later to check if all was well and I was happy with my purchase.

A week later I got a reminder call for the first service. They offered to send someone to pick up the vehicle.
I prefer to take my cars to the service station so I intimated the same. They promptly whatsapped me the location.

On the day of the scheduled service, I got a call, and was guided to the station.

Was impressed with the MG Service station in Okhla, New Delhi. Very neat, airy, mechanics with proper safety gear and cars being treated with respect.

I've bought and owned a Honda, a Toyota, a Fiat and a Maruti in the last decade but I've not had such a positive experience while buying a car and immediately post that.

Where they could improve:

- Shut lines are inconsistent. Especially around the bonnet and the boot.

- Suspension is a bit too soft. They need to tune it better.

I'll start an ownership thread after I hit 5k KMS. If anyone has any questions about the Diesel variant, I'll be happy to answer them.
coolkurt is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 18th January 2020, 20:57   #217
Senior - BHPian

There are unverified reports that dealers are putting off diesel deliveries till March. Buyers are being told to either wait for the BS6 variant ( and probably pay the increased price) or shift to DCT or Hybrid.

Seems like MG will launch the BS6 Diesel version soon. Hopefully they'll add an AT option as well.
coolkurt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2020, 08:06   #218
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Diesel: Sharp - 1000+ KM Update
Nice short review.

Quote:

The rain sensing wipers are a hit and miss. They just don't activate at times.
You can test it by spraying water on the windshield and get it fixed if required.

Quote:

- The fuel economy shown on the MID is a bit off. It's giving me varying figures of 16 - 20 kmpl which is just too wide a band. I've got the software updated during the service so hopefully it should fix that. Real world mileage ( tankful to tankful) has been 15.8 kmpl which is almost twice of what I am used to, so no complaints
Do you mean to say that the difference between the MID figure and tankful method is 3-4 Kmpl?

Last edited by moralfibre : 20th January 2020 at 09:03. Reason: Small typo.
Old 20th January 2020, 11:51   #219
BHPian

Quote:
There are unverified reports that dealers are putting off diesel deliveries till March. Buyers are being told to either wait for the BS6 variant ( and probably pay the increased price) or shift to DCT or Hybrid.

Seems like MG will launch the BS6 Diesel version soon. Hopefully they'll add an AT option as well.
Heard similar vibes. Waiting for my DCT from Sept booking. Since the longer wait period was fine with me and, if its Feb/March anyways, I wanted a BS6. Looks like the BS6 petrols are going to arrive by late Feb/early March and Diesels by end of March/early April.

Not sure (but possible) if they plan to announce the BS6 timelines formally next week, alongside the EV launch.

Last edited by ampere : 21st January 2020 at 07:37. Reason: Formatted for readability
Old 20th January 2020, 11:53   #220
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
Do you mean to say that the difference between the MID figure and tankful method is 3-4 Kmpl?
It was around 1.5 KMPL in the initial two rounds of testing. The MID readings go up and down quite a bit during a single drive as well..which is something I've yet to get a hold of. I'll be doing an extensive tankful to empty test starting tomorrow so I'll check and post the figures later.

Hearing a lot more reports of MG dealers intimating customers that Diesel deliveries are on hold and will be delayed owing to the impending BS6 launch. The difference in price is rumoured to be 60-70k which is decent in my estimate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DASKD24 View Post
Not sure (but possible) if they plan to announce the BS6 timelines formally next week, alongside the EV launch.
I am not sure if they'll want to take the limelight away from the ZS EV for now. BS6 despatches will trickle in from end March and if they stick to the rumoured price increase, it's pretty fair.

Last edited by coolkurt : 20th January 2020 at 11:56.
Old 20th January 2020, 12:15   #221
BHPian

Quote:
I am not sure if they'll want to take the limelight away from the ZS EV for now. BS6 despatches will trickle in from end March and if they stick to the rumoured price increase, it's pretty fair.
Fair point!

BTW, the 5/6 cars I saw being lined up delivery that day, all were DCTs and all had Goodyear Assurance on them. When checked in on the tyres was told that both Continental and Goodyear are being despatched, but more of the later. Didn't they confirm that all Sharp models would come with only Continentals ?

Last edited by ampere : 21st January 2020 at 07:37. Reason: formatted for readability
Old 20th January 2020, 12:21   #222
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DASKD24 View Post
Didn't they confirm that all Sharp models would come with only Continentals ?
They had confirmed that the top model may come with Continental or Goodyear Tyres, depending on availability. Before my delivery, I had seen a few cars being delivered in October with Continental tyres. But I think December onwards, they've stuck with Goodyear Tyres due to the obvious price advantage. The Continental ones were marginally more expensive.

I'm pretty happy with the Goodyear Assurance tyres though. The Hector has good insulation so the road noise mostly stays out.
coolkurt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2020, 12:27   #223
Distinguished - BHPian

Hector diesel (BS6) prices speculated to be up by around Rs 1.25 lakh

Quote:
Petrol model to see hike of around Rs 45,000-60,000, depending on engine and variant, with BS6 upgrade; price announcement to take place by March this year.
Link

Last edited by Vid6639 : 21st January 2020 at 09:45. Reason: its a speculation and not confirmed so editing accordingly.
volkman10 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 21st January 2020, 06:52   #224
Senior - BHPian

The interesting bit is that despite the launch of Compass Diesel AT and the impending launch of the Harrier AT as well as the Gravitas with an Auto transmission option, MG Motor is not planning to introduce a Diesel Automatic version on the Hector or the Hector Plus.

The demand for Hector has been skewed in favour of Petrol due to the Auto and Hybrid options but it seems MG is confident of maintaining it's lead despite the Diesel AT options offered by the competition. We'll see soon enough how much of a dent does the Autobox make to the sales figures of the Hector.
Old 22nd January 2020, 09:14   #225
BHPian

One more catches fire. It seems the company is spending its resources and time in bullying people and trying to influence social media instead of fixing issues
ashishy is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed